Message Maven
Donor
Jul 20, 2017
Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteWolf619

m4dsk1llz

Engaged Member
Feb 13, 2019
One more from another angle. One note, Bea and Tris are full G8.1 including textures, now that I know about converting maps from G3 and G8 to G8.1 with separate body and head textures. As I mentioned in another thread, I really don't know what going to full 8.1 gets me but it is the way DAZ seems to be going.
Boho_NMM_003_F95.png

redle

Apr 12, 2017
One more from another angle. One note, Bea and Tris are full G8.1 including textures, now that I know about converting maps from G3 and G8 to G8.1 with separate body and head textures. As I mentioned in another thread, I really don't know what going to full 8.1 gets me but it is the way DAZ seems to be going.
View attachment 1722554
My understanding, the primary changes from 8 -> 8.1 are in facial expression sliders/capabilities/improvements.

m4dsk1llz

Engaged Member
Feb 13, 2019
My understanding, the primary changes from 8 -> 8.1 are in facial expression sliders/capabilities/improvements.
That is my understanding also, but there is no need to convert textures for that to work, as far as I know.

redle

Apr 12, 2017
That is my understanding also, but there is no need to convert textures for that to work, as far as I know.
They redesigned the texture setup. I believe it allows for more options in swapping partial textures in different scenarios and allows some for some more comprehensive packages of textures for characters. That's of no real benefit when converting a texture set for an older model and applying it to an 8.1. That said, some texture conversion tools may generate some of the potential alternative options.

In short, I think it's for things like if one bends the leg at the hip really far. That generally causes a rather noticeable, and unappealing, stretching of the skin texture over the glutes. I believe the additional complexity in the texture setup for 8.1 is supposed to allow ways having a texture change for just that zone that did not have a stretch appearance.

(I might be completely wrong, as I have not done anything advanced with 8.1 textures. That's just my interpretation of what I have read.)

m4dsk1llz

Engaged Member
Feb 13, 2019
By using the Map Texture feature, DAZ will actually recreate the missing textures, Bump, Normals, etc. So you can basically take any G3 to G8 skin and convert it to an 8.1 skin. You can even takes iris and sclera textures and convert them to 8.1.

Old Dog

Message Maven
Donor
Jul 20, 2017
By using the Map Texture feature, DAZ will actually recreate the missing textures, Bump, Normals, etc. So you can basically take any G3 to G8 skin and convert it to an 8.1 skin. You can even takes iris and sclera textures and convert them to 8.1.
Ok thicko here.
Are you saying that if I convert a G-8 character to G 8.1 that daz will create the missing skin textures?

m4dsk1llz

Engaged Member
Feb 13, 2019
Ok thicko here.
Are you saying that if I convert a G-8 character to G 8.1 that daz will create the missing skin textures?
Yes it can, there is a thread on the DAZ forum that explains the process. Basically it takes the G3 or G8 textures and then cuts them up to make the head and body textures used in 8.1

ITRoy created a video that goes through the process for Head and Body only and it is here, . He says he hasn't or cant modify eye textures, but that is not accurate. You can it just takes more steps as 8.1 has some changes to the eye and how the texture is applied.

After that you can then use the Base 8.1 UVMap instead of Base Female that you get by just applying the materials from G8 and/or G3.

Note this is not automatically done for you, YOU have to want to do it and then follow the steps to actually convert the textures. The you need to select the new textures and make sure you change the UVMap for all the the textures to Base 8.1 Female. As far as I can tell all that needs to be converted is Body / Head / Iris / Sclera / Pupil, to get use of the full Base 8.1 Female UVMap. Natural Eyes II also works since it is native to 8.1.

Last edited: