Mors Magister

Jul 15, 2018
Other than sex images, that is probably the greatest challenge (regarding image generation). In the future I'm hoping the community would come together so we have more material to work with. Stable Diffusion is extremely easy to use, but it takes so much time out of my day.

Good news is that I already have a growing library for the first character who I can't wait to write events for.

View attachment 2089216 View attachment 2089219 View attachment 2089220
I have Stable Diffusion installed an my system for my own testing (runing checkpoint 1.4), but i am happy to lend a hand with genrating art if you want.

Earliestbird

Game Developer
Sep 5, 2020
I have Stable Diffusion installed an my system for my own testing (runing checkpoint 1.4), but i am happy to lend a hand with genrating art if you want.
Thank you! If you join the Discord, there's a dedicated channel for generated art where you can go ham with posting.

mrttao

Forum Fanatic
Jun 11, 2021
BTW, at first I thought the weird eyes and hands were because they are supposed to be some sort of xeno / monstergirls.
But it turns out this is a result of being AI generated art. all of those have weird eyes and hands.

So, out of curiosity. Lorewise, are the girl's supposed to have normal human hands?

Reactions: fixet

Wolfdragon20

Nov 8, 2021
Hey guys, there's no need to call each other names please keep it civil.

Wolfdragon20 Were you playing version 0.1 or 0.1.1? I understand the essence upkeep was too harsh so I reduced it drastically in the latest version (0.1.2).

It's now 1 essence per 10 days, which should be easily managable if you keep Raven on foraging and D'Alena can keep working any of the other professions.

Again, sorry about the balancing issues. Keep the (respectful) feedback coming and I'll try to adjust the game for everyone to have the best possible experience!
latest version(far as i know), but i think i got raven to late, and now i keep loosing essence faster than i can make it. and don't worry, i plan to be respectful when addressing things regarding the game. i simply respond in kind when someone decides to be antagonistic

Jacenraze

Mar 13, 2021
good start to the game. I am looking forward to further development. Don't know about the preplanned stuff, but would like it if you kept it pretty even between small (B or lower) and large (C or greater) busted women.

The Butler

May 3, 2017
1666827279859.png
Don't worry, I have other options.... Ligma, Sugma, Lemmekun, BlackMonster3000.....
Jokes aside, Good luck with your project.
I did have in mind fiddling with AI, however after looking at the min specs for actually running it. Oof, my specs are far from getting close to it.

AlexTorch

Engaged Member
Jun 22, 2017
Really interesting game, but the increase in essence from time to time really hurts, after some time (40+ days) it seem impossible to keep with the upkeep, so now or we cheat and give 9999+ or we lose...i really don't see why she should have an upkeep on the game, i understand the idea (is food) but you need to keep someone "farming" essence, that leave you with one person to farm the rest of items, but later, you need one gathering essence and one gathering wood and even there, after some time you lose more than you can produce. The idea of the game is good, but some stuff really need some tweak.

dabberman14

Sep 18, 2020
It seem impossible to keep with the upkeep,
It is possible to outpace the essence drain. Reached day 93 and currently producing essence at more than 160% consumption. But yes around day 40 I was at the brink, slowly sinking towards inevitable death, just barely holding on. Along with the church bell sound really sells the emotion of fear of death, impending doom. Props to the dev, cheers, quite classy of you. Just juggle the jobs around and get the tech upgrades and you can make it in time. The intuitively understandable mechanics also stood out to me. So many text games make you study obtuse mechanics, this one just makes sense to me.

Also, to the dev: I don't see why you need to hide the art behind those thick black bars? Along with the opaque text box, makes the game kind of claustrophobic. Unless that's what you're going for? I just found myself having to press H too often IMO. If needed, can volunteer the compute of my 3090, ashamed to say after finding out coherent AI text gen (Erebus) is still out of reach, I've left the poor thing gather dust.

EDIT: Oh and yeah, what's up with the gutted linux files? It works fine in wine, but why no native? Disregard this, everything is fine.

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: AlexTorch

dabberman14

Sep 18, 2020
Either I download a different version or it works fine in ubuntu.

I'm assuming once you clear the map there is currently no more content.
There are a couple points that stay on the map, so you can't "clear" it, but yes. About the linux files, you're right. I'm a dumbass, the .sh didn't show up in my terminal when I hit tab so I assumed it is not there, added the +x and now it works.

Aug 27, 2019
View attachment 2088207

Overview:
Of Devotion and Despondence is a visual novel with heavy RPG elements that follows the journey of a man exiled to a shifting world, a place where humans are not expected to survive for long.
It is written in first-person narrative, and tells an emotional story that focuses on mature prose,
romance, and erotic scenes.​

Thread Updated: 2022-10-26
Release Date: 2022-10-08
Developer: Earliestbird -
Censored: No
Version: 0.1.3
Language: English
Genre:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Installation:

Changelog:

Developer Notes:

Is that AI generated art?

Future tags, future plans:

( If updating from an old version, delete the old version and start a new game to avoid errors )

DOWNLOAD
Win
: - - - - PIXELDRAIN - WORKUPLOAD

View attachment 2088208 View attachment 2088209 View attachment 2088210 View attachment 2088211 View attachment 2088212 View attachment 2088213 View attachment 2088214 View attachment 2088215 View attachment 2088216
Using AI generated art is just brilliant. We are all going to be seeing (and many of us generating) AI/Model Based/Description Derived super quality wildly innovative art everywhere, and soon. AI art is the direction of games from small/independent/innovative developers. And it is the future of fap!

Aug 27, 2019
The processing power of future computers will be measured in petafaps.
And with each mighty creative thrust, we deeply penentrate an increasingly yielding, fertile future pregnant with infant potentials, each in turn yielding to our tireless delving. Gone are the days of the impotent petaFLOP, an anachronistic offspring of slogging simple silicon and *flacid phalluses.

*A flaccid phallus is technically termed a "Failus."

Reactions: mrttao

MrEight

Aug 26, 2019
I am rather intrigued by the lore of this world and seeing it continue but the essence drain and enemies hitting with the force of an exploding star are keeping me from even attempting anything further. I get that health regen is being limited on purpose but it's just a bit overkill due to the enemies being able to attack 1-4 times in a single turn and dealing massive damage. 100-70 in a single turn? Yikes. The health loss from stacking warp to dish out some decent damage or trade it for a piss-poor shield doesn't work past 1 or 2 battles. Perhaps it's just a game of chance or luck or I'm missing some crucial detail on how to go about each battle to ensure I don't die. I'm sure there are some who will go far, but I don't want to restart the game every 15 minutes because I got raped to death from essence drain and one-punch enemies tag-teaming me. I want to give this another shot but after 5 tries I'm rather deflated and uneager. I wish the game well despite it.

Earliestbird

Game Developer
Sep 5, 2020
I am rather intrigued by the lore of this world and seeing it continue but the essence drain and enemies hitting with the force of an exploding star are keeping me from even attempting anything further. I get that health regen is being limited on purpose but it's just a bit overkill due to the enemies being able to attack 1-4 times in a single turn and dealing massive damage. 100-70 in a single turn? Yikes. The health loss from stacking warp to dish out some decent damage or trade it for a piss-poor shield doesn't work past 1 or 2 battles. Perhaps it's just a game of chance or luck or I'm missing some crucial detail on how to go about each battle to ensure I don't die. I'm sure there are some who will go far, but I don't want to restart the game every 15 minutes because I got raped to death from essence drain and one-punch enemies tag-teaming me. I want to give this another shot but after 5 tries I'm rather deflated and uneager. I wish the game well despite it.
Maybe you came across a bug? I'm sorry but there's not a single enemy in the game that could possible deal more than 30 damage in a single turn. The average enemy damage output is around 11~ per turn if they get lucky rolls. I have the data in front of me. The Stalker is the only current enemy with an excessively high damage range (2-13, 0, 2-13) but with only 40 health, it can be killed in a few turns.

But to be sure I just quickly ran through most enemy types in the game, using a character with 3 ARCA (+2 ARCA from the ruins upgrade) and here are the damage numbers I took from each combat encounter:
Trinity-Arm: 8 hp lost (with 15 shield)
Claw-Hand: 9 hp lost (with 15 shield)
Stalker: 16 hp lost (with 15 shield)
Portal Guardian: 31 hp lost (with 25 shield)

(You can also make use of the PHYS strike to block an especially large attack.)

Enemies dealing 70-100 damage in a single turn definitely seems like a bug to me, one that would be my highest priority to fix!

Reactions: MrEight

MrEight

Aug 26, 2019
Enemies dealing 70-100 damage in a single turn definitely seems like a bug to me, one that would be my highest priority to fix!

I apologize, that was not what I intended to convey, I mean I went from 100 to 70, not that they dealt that much from just one hit, sorry for my confusion! I was trying to state the high damage after their turn and I realize now how it reads despite how I intended it.

Oct 10, 2019
Now that the naming issue is mostly resolved,
I can express my opinion of the game, the writing is solid, it decribes the scene well and the tone is set clearly,
the story is in an early stage and I personally have not gotten far yet but it does seem interesting,
the "lore" of the world for lack of a better term is intriguing,
it reminds me of a better executed CoC with the whole shifting world kind of deal,
in that game it was mentined once and then ignored for the most part.

I wont speak much of the gameplay elements because it is still early,
I do aggree that they need rebalancing, but to me personally they are secondary,
also if the gameplay gets in the way of fun you can just cheat,
the actual content of the game however cannot be changed that way so it is more important,
the one exeption is saving, I feel like not allowing to save during exploration is a bad decision,
the inability to save during combat is normal but outside of it you should be able to save everywhere otherwise it is just frustrating to find the options that you actually want,
especially with such criptic writing, it sets the mood well but from a gameplay perspective it does not allow clear jidgement.

On the topic of content a warning about the sexual ecounters would be nice,
the writing in the scene is good but the content is personally disgusting so I could not enjoy it,
a content filter could be a solution but a simple warning before the scenes would be enough and I suppose easier to implement,
during that scene your character clearly likes it but I did not and that breaks immersion, more agency would also be nice,
but that would be harder to implement than a simple warning.

Now on to the topic of romance, I have very high standards for that so take what I say as a suggestion and information about how peaple could react, I have not found any romance yet, so what I say is more for future reference and applies in general, to me the most important part of romance is loyalty and exlusivity, if she has sex with someone else then its cheating,
this is a delicate topic and I have been burned before, the definition of a certain achronym is very discussed arround here but in the end I have my opinion and that is precisely why I ask for clarification now to determine what games are for me, but that is going too off topic, for this game specifically I just want to warn the dev that romance is a delicate matter and that unlike many belive, and also the reason I was misunderstood, it is not a certain 3 letter tag that sould indicate exlusivity but the harem tag, because a harem needs a focal point, I also have opinions about that but I will leave them out for now.

I apologize for the rant and the wall of text, I am trying to improve but i am not a professional wirter, I hope the dev takes this as more of a suggestion than an actual rewiew, and maybe as an occation to better clarify the aim of the game, not regarding story spoilers of course, also as a last thougth

Also it is late so exuse my grammar.

4.10 star(s) 35 Votes