Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019
This appeared when i opened the game
Code:
I'm sorry, but errors were detected in your script. Please correct the
errors listed below, and try again.

File "game/_classes.rpy", line 330: invalid syntax
                raise AssertionError, "No path provided for the Picture() object"
                                     ^

File "game/_functions.rpy", line 539: invalid syntax
            raise AssessmentError, "Item not in list"
                                  ^

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 8.0.0.22062402
Sat Nov 26 16:44:24 2022
I got different errors. All because I used unren. Guess the dev has locked this down. Was going to give it a try, but, it's now a total pass for me.

Earliestbird

Game Developer
Sep 5, 2020
I got different errors. All because I used unren. Guess the dev has locked this down. Was going to give it a try, but, it's now a total pass for me.
Um... what is Unren and what does "locked down" mean? Sorry, I suck at coding. I never did anything out of the ordinary with the game files. When a new patch is ready, I simply do a "force recompile", zip the whole thing, and upload.

bobdickgus

Apr 9, 2020
Um... what is Unren and what does "locked down" mean? Sorry, I suck at coding. I never did anything out of the ordinary with the game files. When a new patch is ready, I simply do a "force recompile", zip the whole thing, and upload.
It was not even in RPA format for me, so I don't know what that issue was.
I downloaded the torrent file from RPDL.
Got an error on running with label s7_event10 defined twice in _adventure_events.rpy, so removed one and runs after that.

Earliestbird

Game Developer
Sep 5, 2020
Got an error on running with label s7_event10 defined twice in _adventure_events.rpy, so removed one and runs after that.
Honestly I also have no idea about who or why a torrent was uploaded, that was not me. I recommend downloading from the regular links.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019
It's a tool used to decompile rpa files and allow us to enable the console.

You're correct. There was no rpa files. I used unren to enable the console.

RSVHZ

Feb 6, 2021
I’m not a coder either and I tried running that on a non-windows platform (i.e. I tried launching it via the renpy sdk), but the issue seems to be in the attached snippet. I’ve got everything on an external harddisk. Maybe that’s the issue?

consumptionist

Donor
Aug 7, 2019
reads the overview
Of Devotion and Despondence is a visual novel...
looks at the screenshots...
looks at the tags....

glad the sites mods are not fooled :LOL:

- Is there going to be incest? Mmmaybe. You can already meet... sort of a mother-figure in the current version, but she's not related to the player.
so glad that was cleared up then :LOL:

sarcasm aside, can anyone tell me what the visuals are like? those surrounding the more adult type which are not on display in the OP.
as a regular user of this site for years i have limited drive space and only ask if it is worth freeing up the space to download and try rather than wait some for other games to finish.

thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

Yamemai

Nov 1, 2017
Some comments:
1. Wish the Refilling Goblet was a camp item instead of an ornament.
2. Wish we could equip more that 1 of each; aka: off, def, and orn.
3. Why can't we equip our residents? Especially since they can net some good equips.

Bugs:
1. No clue why, but when I first tried to load my old save, loads of errors popped up, so just deleted the roaming and started a new game.
Edit: Might have something to do with the new UI/menu, from what traceback indicates.
2. If you equip anything that you have double of, you equip both. Happens both when you have multiple in the inventory or looting another. -- Seems weird, since you're able to smelt 1 at a time.

deepglugs

Game Developer
Feb 1, 2018
unren may have trouble with newer versions of renpy (8.x iirc). I have observed b0rkage.

Earliestbird

Game Developer
Sep 5, 2020
Some comments:
1. Wish the Refilling Goblet was a camp item instead of an ornament.
2. Wish we could equip more that 1 of each; aka: off, def, and orn.
3. Why can't we equip our residents? Especially since they can net some good equips.
1 and 2 are mostly due to balancing. As for 3, I do have plans to make girls more involved with gameplay - although I'm more leaning toward bonuses/skill trees. But who knows, there's a small chance I can make items work for them without too many bugs.

Bugs:
1. No clue why, but when I first tried to load my old save, loads of errors popped up, so just deleted the roaming and started a new game.
Edit: Might have something to do with the new UI/menu, from what traceback indicates.
2. If you equip anything that you have double of, you equip both. Happens both when you have multiple in the inventory or looting another. -- Seems weird, since you're able to smelt 1 at a time.
1. Yeah I would assume most patches are not compatible with old saves since I'm constantly re-writing and messing around with the code, adding new variables, etc.
2. This is a bug that has been giving me a headache since the very beginning. Still don't have a fix for it. BUT with the newest patch you can smelt down the duplicates so it shouldn't be an issue, I hope.

Yamemai

Nov 1, 2017
1 and 2 are mostly due to balancing. As for 3, I do have plans to make girls more involved with gameplay - although I'm more leaning toward bonuses/skill trees. But who knows, there's a small chance I can make items work for them without too many bugs.
Ehh, don't think the goblet would be all that much, but *shrugs* no clue how you want the game to be played/progress.

1. Yeah I would assume most patches are not compatible with old saves since I'm constantly re-writing and messing around with the code, adding new variables, etc.
Probably going to annoy a bunch of peeps, since now they'd hafta restart every time there's a new release.

2. This is a bug that has been giving me a headache since the very beginning. Still don't have a fix for it. BUT with the newest patch you can smelt down the duplicates so it shouldn't be an issue, I hope.
With my bare understanding of coding, it might have to do with how you named the items and/or coded how equip works. Eg. The equip are labeled/named the same, thus the program thinks it's 1 object, or something, and places it accordingly. But it also knows to keep it separate. Might be better to just change how it's categorized, so it's something like Sapphire x2, or something, so only 1 is in active use.

TLDR: Dup items have same label, thus equipped as if all one item. By changing how the games label it, such as making it number them, it should stop equipping more than 1.
Eg. Travelling boots 1 and 2 vs two travelling boots.

Last edited:
Reactions: Earliestbird

Seven7h

Aug 8, 2018
I'm having a proble, trying to enter to the game.

"I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
ScriptError: Name (u'game/_classes.rpy', 1669788514, 3461) is defined twice, at game/_classes.rpy:7 and game/_classes.rpy:314.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "renpy/bootstrap.py", line 331, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "renpy/main.py", line 492, in main
renpy.game.script.load_script() # sets renpy.game.script.
File "renpy/script.py", line 283, in load_script
self.load_appropriate_file(".rpyc", ".rpy", dir, fn, initcode)
File "renpy/script.py", line 797, in load_appropriate_file
self.finish_load(stmts, initcode, filename=lastfn)
File "renpy/script.py", line 473, in finish_load
check_name(node)
File "renpy/script.py", line 452, in check_name
bad_node.filename, bad_node.linenumber))
ScriptError: Name (u'game/_classes.rpy', 1669788514, 3461) is defined twice, at game/_classes.rpy:7 and game/_classes.rpy:314.

Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.11.2266

Thu Dec 1 13:12:14 2022"

Earliestbird

Game Developer
Sep 5, 2020
I'm having a proble, trying to enter to the game.

"I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "renpy/bootstrap.py", line 331, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "renpy/main.py", line 492, in main
renpy.game.script.load_script() # sets renpy.game.script.
File "renpy/script.py", line 283, in load_script
self.load_appropriate_file(".rpyc", ".rpy", dir, fn, initcode)
File "renpy/script.py", line 797, in load_appropriate_file
self.finish_load(stmts, initcode, filename=lastfn)
File "renpy/script.py", line 473, in finish_load
check_name(node)
File "renpy/script.py", line 452, in check_name
bad_node.filename, bad_node.linenumber))

Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.11.2266

Thu Dec 1 13:12:14 2022"
Do you have an older version of the game anywhere on your PC? When playing new versions I would recommend deleting old versions and starting a fresh game. Hopefully that fixes it.

Seven7h

Aug 8, 2018
Do you have an older version of the game anywhere on your PC? When playing new versions I would recommend deleting old versions and starting a fresh game. Hopefully that fixes it.
Hello!
Thanks for the quick reply.
I just downloaded the game yesterday opened it, read almost all the intro and had to go out. When I came back I accidentaly hit my external drive (where I store all my games) and the game closed, then couldnt enter again. Just redownloaded it and deleted the previous one. It's working now.
Will try the game later.
Thank you!
Keep up the good work

Reactions: Earliestbird
4.10 star(s) 35 Votes