VN Ren'Py Our Fate: Remake (Dev Thread)

4.50 star(s) 2 Votes

V19XX

Game Developer
Jun 23, 2018
What I liked about the original Our Fate was that it was possible to be a good father. For me, my internal debate was about letting her go (as every good father must do, eventually) or pursuing her myself. I never felt attracted to the corruption path.

In real-life incest, there is clearly a power imbalance on nearly every level: experience (both with life and with sex), money, physical and emotional power, etc. That is what makes corruption relatively easy and that is also why it is so damaging in real life. Most games have either a conscious corruption strategy towards the daughter (which I dislike) or a careless must-fuck-them-all harem strategy which is kind of fun to play but feels utterly unrealistic.
As I said i've done a lot of research on the topic as i'm also interested in those kind of stories. That power imbalance you are talking about is not always the case, the relationship depicted in the game it's also semi-based on a real story.
Corruption it's a thing that could affect most characters in the game equally it is not based on the usual power dynamics you see in other games as the mc wouldn't be the one pushing for it. Also it's just a part of the game that you can choose where you want to draw the line for.
The main focus of the game it's indeed a journey of love, taboo and gray areas.

Btw, if I remember correctly you can't avoid the sexual relationship with C in OurFate.

L7Bear

May 29, 2017
What I liked about the original Our Fate was that it was possible to be a good father. For me, my internal debate was about letting her go (as every good father must do, eventually) or pursuing her myself. I never felt attracted to the corruption path.

In real-life incest, there is clearly a power imbalance on nearly every level: experience (both with life and with sex), money, physical and emotional power, etc. That is what makes corruption relatively easy and that is also why it is so damaging in real life. Most games have either a conscious corruption strategy towards the daughter (which I dislike) or a careless must-fuck-them-all harem strategy which is kind of fun to play but feels utterly unrealistic.
I love your input/feedback about this. I don't necessarily agree or disagree with you, but these are great issues for discussion. They are also topics that we have been working on internally. We want to create an Adult Visual Novel that looks and feels realistic. We are developing an intricate, complex, and multi-layered game with believable characters and situations. We want it to appeal to a wide variety of players, and will utilize the interactive nature of the game to provide players with a variety of different paths.

Of course, we also want to synergize the paradigm and deep dive in the pipeline, get down to the nuts and bolts, think outside the box, and maximize all the buzzwords. :LOL:

In short, your post is terrific and filled with issues that we are taking seriously as we develop "Lost at Birth". I look forward to the day when we can address your specific concerns more directly and share more. Right now, a lot of our development should remain reasonably private.

Reactions: Yngling and V19XX

Yngling

Nov 15, 2020
That power imbalance you are talking about is not always the case
I think some power imbalance is logical from a couple of different aspects. Unless there are some (usually bad) circumstances, like the dad being a loser and/or very unlucky, or the daughter growing up in some very abusive environment, the father is generally more wealthy, more experienced and stronger.

This would be also the case in any relationship between an older man and a younger woman, and does not HAVE to be a problem, just one that would need to be approached carefully for the relationship to work.

In a setting where the daughter has been living in the same house as the father, there are additional issues like the daughter depending on the father for housing, food etc., but in the setting in Our Fate, this is of course avoided.

Corruption it's a thing that could affect most characters in the game equally it is not based on the usual power dynamics you see in other games as the mc wouldn't be the one pushing for it. Also it's just a part of the game that you can choose where you want to draw the line for.
I think we have a different interpretation of the word "corruption". In my mind, it is definately something negative, by convincing, grooming or coercing the daughter into increasingly depraved acts, rather than the initiation in sex that every person simply must go through. I mean, I guess it is not uncommon for a girl to be a bit more reluctant when it comes to sex than a guy, moreso if the girl is young and inexperienced where the man is older and more experienced. That is fine, but although the guy can try to convince her, there is a line between what's appropriate and what not, and in case of a father-daughter relationship, this line is different than in relationship between two 20 year olds.

This game does it very well so far, in my opinion: https://f95zone.to/threads/a-petal-among-thorns-ch-3-lockheart.87472/

"a journey of love, taboo and gray areas" sounds perfect to me! (y)

But, to be perfectly clear, I am not against it if you were to put a darker corruption path in the game. I would just prefer a love path as well.

Btw, if I remember correctly you can't avoid the sexual relationship with C in OurFate.
Yes, you can. It was one of the paths, only the potential love interest for Claire (I think his name was Lucas) was not so suitable. I would have liked a path where Claire and Anna would end up in a relationship, with the MC in a role of a good father.

What I particularly liked about Our Fate was the decision between getting romantically involved with Claire, or try to be a good father instead.
That also says a lot about the quality of Claire's character design, in my opinion. If she wasn't as likeable, or if the story wasn't as convincing, this decision would not be so difficult.

BigDaddyDom

Mar 4, 2020
As I said i've done a lot of research on the topic as i'm also interested in those kind of stories. That power imbalance you are talking about is not always the case, the relationship depicted in the game it's also semi-based on a real story.
I love your input/feedback about this. I don't necessarily agree or disagree with you, but these are great issues for discussion. They are also topics that we have been working on internally. We want to create an Adult Visual Novel that looks and feels realistic. We are developing an intricate, complex, and multi-layered game with believable characters and situations. We want it to appeal to a wide variety of players, and will utilize the interactive nature of the game to provide players with a variety of different paths.

Of course, we also want to synergize the paradigm and deep dive in the pipeline, get down to the nuts and bolts, think outside the box, and maximize all the buzzwords. :LOL:

In short, your post is terrific and filled with issues that we are taking seriously as we develop "Lost at Birth". I look forward to the day when we can address your specific concerns more directly and share more. Right now, a lot of our development should remain reasonably private.
Oh no, I hope there will still be the option for MC to dictate the action. There's already too many other F-D games where the daughters are the aggressors - that kills the allure for some of us. Please take what that other guy is saying about real life issues with a grain of salt, as this is a GAME. The fantasy/taboo is the whole point, and many of us want the option to be DOM.

L7Bear

May 29, 2017
Oh no, I hope there will still be the option for MC to dictate the action. There's already too many other F-D games where the daughters are the aggressors - that kills the allure for some of us. Please take what that other guy is saying about real life issues with a grain of salt, as this is a GAME. The fantasy/taboo is the whole point, and many of us want the option to be DOM.
No need to worry. We want "Lost at Birth" to appeal to a wide variety of players, and will provide players with a variety of different paths. For example, the OF Remake was going to have 3 paths: Paternal, Romance, and Dark. We will likely use something similar in the new game.

Caligula

Donor
Aug 22, 2017
The fantasy/taboo is the whole point, and many of us want the option to be DOM.
This, exactly this! ^^

For example, the OF Remake was going to have 3 paths: Paternal, Romance, and Dark. We will likely use something similar in the new game.
I really hope so. Personally I love games where I can choose between a romance and a domination path, because usually I play both, like in OF.

Yngling

Nov 15, 2020
I'm nowhere near an expert on dom-sub relationships but I don't think that respecting your daughters boundaries is sub behaviour.
I think it's merely respectful, and you owe that respect not only as a matter of common courtesy but also due to the special relationship that you already have.

As for real life, I am definately not looking for incest drama you can read in the newspapers. I think "good wholesome" incest romance (not just casual sex) may exist, but it's quite rare. And that is because people are not paying enough attention to the delicate power dynamics, "forcing" the younger partner into things that they may seem to "want" at the time but later realise that they didn't want it after all and that they were taken advantage of. That, in my humble opinion, is what happens in a lot of incest games on this site, for example DMD. Any harem path muddies the waters even further and would (IRL) probably end in disaster even though it seemed like fun in the beginning.

How close you want a game to resemble real life is yet another question, to which everybody can have their opinion. However in my opinion, a more realistic story greatly increases the involvement with the story and the characters and thereby amplify the sex scenes enormously.

With regards to "many other F-D games where the daughters are the aggressors", I disagree. I think in the majority, the fathers are the aggressors. And most games are too much out there to take seriously. Nothing wrong with light-hearted fun and sexy scenes but in those games you rarely feel a deep emotional connection with the characters.

dav121

Oct 13, 2016
I think some power imbalance is logical from a couple of different aspects. Unless there are some (usually bad) circumstances, like the dad being a loser and/or very unlucky, or the daughter growing up in some very abusive environment, the father is generally more wealthy, more experienced and stronger.

This would be also the case in any relationship between an older man and a younger woman, and does not HAVE to be a problem, just one that would need to be approached carefully for the relationship to work.

In a setting where the daughter has been living in the same house as the father, there are additional issues like the daughter depending on the father for housing, food etc., but in the setting in Our Fate, this is of course avoided.

I think we have a different interpretation of the word "corruption". In my mind, it is definately something negative, by convincing, grooming or coercing the daughter into increasingly depraved acts, rather than the initiation in sex that every person simply must go through. I mean, I guess it is not uncommon for a girl to be a bit more reluctant when it comes to sex than a guy, moreso if the girl is young and inexperienced where the man is older and more experienced. That is fine, but although the guy can try to convince her, there is a line between what's appropriate and what not, and in case of a father-daughter relationship, this line is different than in relationship between two 20 year olds.

This game does it very well so far, in my opinion: https://f95zone.to/threads/a-petal-among-thorns-ch-3-lockheart.87472/

"a journey of love, taboo and gray areas" sounds perfect to me! (y)

But, to be perfectly clear, I am not against it if you were to put a darker corruption path in the game. I would just prefer a love path as well.

Yes, you can. It was one of the paths, only the potential love interest for Claire (I think his name was Lucas) was not so suitable. I would have liked a path where Claire and Anna would end up in a relationship, with the MC in a role of a good father.

What I particularly liked about Our Fate was the decision between getting romantically involved with Claire, or try to be a good father instead.
That also says a lot about the quality of Claire's character design, in my opinion. If she wasn't as likeable, or if the story wasn't as convincing, this decision would not be so difficult.

"This game does it very well so far, in my opinion: https://f95zone.to/threads/a-petal-among-thorns-ch-3-lockheart.87472/"

Pity it isn't tagged with corruption, it removes itself from searches of that tag

Yngling

Nov 15, 2020

"This game does it very well so far, in my opinion: https://f95zone.to/threads/a-petal-among-thorns-ch-3-lockheart.87472/"

Pity it isn't tagged with corruption, it removes itself from searches of that tag
That's the problem with using tags to search for content. I think the tag system is better suited to avoid content.

But in this case I'd argue that Petal is not corruption because the girl is not being manipulated but instead a willing participant and in some ways corrupting the father. Our Fate can in my opinion only be considered corruption in some routes.

But in general I have problems with the entire definition of the word "corruption", maybe I don't understand it properly.

I think a romance between two willing participants can't be considered corruption, even there is a difference of age and experience between them.

Daiju Fuma

Nov 14, 2019
I found the information of a remake of "our fate" and I was so happy! :D
The original (and sadly, abandoned) game was one of my first games I played, and I liked it a ton.
But after the information, that the original dev asked you to stop, I was so damn sad -.-
still, can't w8 for your next project to be released. Good luck for that.

Talmadge

May 7, 2018
Hey, L&Bear. Someone on the original games thread said they read where the Dev sadly passed away. If that is true, maybe you could continue on now in his memory. I don't know if you would want to, but just thought I'd fill you in if you hadn't heard.

4.50 star(s) 2 Votes