5.00 star(s) 11 Votes

Princess Groundhog

Nov 5, 2018
but I know people have been scrambling for a poly romance for awhile
I'm such a people. There is pretty much no real polyship representation in VNs. Threesomes and harems don't count, obviously, I'm talking about a committed throuple. And with GBP's wholesome touch I just know it would be amazing and cute and emotional! I can only hope it happens.

Jul 30, 2018
I'm such a people. There is pretty much no real polyship representation in VNs. Threesomes and harems don't count, obviously, I'm talking about a committed throuple. And with GBP's wholesome touch I just know it would be amazing and cute and emotional! I can only hope it happens.
Yeah thats valid personally I'm just kinda neutral on the idea since I'm definitely a one partner type of person, But if it gets added Ill at least check it out since Ive also never seen a proper poly relationship in a VN and hey who knows I might warm up to the idea a bit since I do enjoy GBP's writing.

Tunak23

Aug 16, 2018
Gotta agree with you all,I prefer that the developers introduce more characters beyond the trio as love interests,a second girl as an option for the romance would be pretty nice same with those that want an alternative to Qiu.

There are lots of harem games out there,polygamy as a thing exists vastly on the content developing world,a poly relationships between three that handles the every day life of the characters in a sweet yet conscious way is far more rare and strange.

On a different note Interactive novels on Choice of Games introduce really well the poly relationships option and is amazing to read about it,natural and heartwarming.

Anyways would prefer a focus o a limited set of characters than try a big experiment and a damage the quality of the whole thing.

Jun 21, 2021
I know I won't employ that option, but I know some people like the harem approach, and I'm curious how the jealousy mechanism will play out with it.
Though, I would prefer the dev to invest in developing more LI routes instead of investing time in that poly feature. I mean, I hope it's at the end of their to do list, lol
i respect your opinion, but i wanna clarify something- a harem and a poly relationship are two different things.

har·em
/ˈherəm/
noun
  • 1.(in former times) the separate part of a Muslim household reserved for wives, concubines, and female servants:"we were invited into the harem in the rear of the house"
Basically, a harem is where the characters are wholly focused on the mc, usually sexually.
A poly relationship is a relationship between three or more people, where theyre all dating each other, sometimes with exceptions on who theyre dating. Its v wholesome
an open relationship is a relationship where both partners are allowed to have as many romantic and sexual other partners, with their partners consent (both/all of the partners)

Jun 21, 2021
No, it's Derek and Baxter. Two guys. As they have said, OL1 is a game with male love interests. While OL2 has female and neutral. (Though considering how much love Darren/Ren is already getting, we may get here as a LI if everything goes well.)
I need context I cant find anything on darren/ren not even in the wiki

Reactions: sweaterweather4327
Jun 21, 2021
I have a guess for when this is gonna come out- next autumn, as theyve said they plan to release it this year (thats what i've heard), and the description says 'when the season is right'

Jul 30, 2018
I need context I cant find anything on darren/ren not even in the wiki
Ren is one of Qiu's best friends and people like her a lot I don't think theyve released any info about her besides on Discord and Patreon. To clear up any confusion Ren is a Transwoman that still hasnt come out about her identity in Step 2 so she still goes by Darren but prefers that people call her Ren. 1642562527215.png
1642562626922.png

Jul 30, 2018
1642567047834.png
1642567072432.png

But for possible extra romance options we have the possibility with Ren and Tamarack's two unseen friends since I find it very unlikely that Baxter will have a romance DLC in Our Life 2. I am glad that it seems like each character is at least gonna have some sort of friend circle whether it be Qiu, Ren & Baxter or Tamarack and the two nameless ones something I found very lacking in Our Life 1 was the very limited amount of interactions with other characters besides Cove so seeing Qiu and Tamarack have a social circle of multiple characters each besides the MC is great. I will also post anything I see of Tamaracks two new buds but since it was only talked about today I'm not sure when that would be.

Last edited:

CookyDough

Jul 3, 2021
I like a lot that they have their own social circle, it will make events more unique. I hope we will have the chance to invite the other that isn't part of the circle like it happened with Baxter in "Our Life 1". I really liked that.

Thank you for sharing Discord quote from dev. :love:

Fizel

Feb 10, 2018
no it specifically says its locked out once you start dating one. you can have a crush on both at the same time, but can only date one
Yes that is how it works. But they are thinking of maybe adding a possibility of dating both. You can't yet and maybe we never will. But it is an option they are looking at if they can actually implement it.

Jiffie

Nov 8, 2017
i respect your opinion, but i wanna clarify something- a harem and a poly relationship are two different things.

har·em
/ˈherəm/
noun
  • 1.(in former times) the separate part of a Muslim household reserved for wives, concubines, and female servants:"we were invited into the harem in the rear of the house"
Basically, a harem is where the characters are wholly focused on the mc, usually sexually.
A poly relationship is a relationship between three or more people, where theyre all dating each other, sometimes with exceptions on who theyre dating. Its v wholesome
an open relationship is a relationship where both partners are allowed to have as many romantic and sexual other partners, with their partners consent (both/all of the partners)
I think you have the term all wrong, in this context, the word "Harem" is using the trope definition of the word, particularly in Fandom/Fiction/"Anime"/Genre context of the word. "Harem" and "Poly" is literally the same thing, "Poly" is actually a new definition in fiction that has just recently begun to be used, because anime and cliché has ruined the "wholesomeness" of multiple partners with condemning, judgmentally parody antics (anime don't favor polygamy very well); though they are slightly different, where Harem typically implies several love interest (usually 5+), and does not need to be in committed relationship (can be one sided with only the Harem in love), while Poly explicitly means a committed relationship (mutual feelings), and is typically a small number of 3 individuals (of course more is allowed, but 3 is the "norm"). Maybe go on TVTropes if you want to understand what this means? (there's probably other places, but this is the most famous "legit" one I know :ROFLMAO:)

It's a niche language, I like to think of it as "fandom slang", so you can't use an English dictionary here to explain a word; this is not really "English" we're using.

Jul 30, 2018
This is Vianca I'm unsure on whether or not shes one of Tamaracks possible friends mostly because from the description it feels like they are just kinda hanging around each other but aren't exactly friends. Shes also confirmed not a romance I'm unsure on how I exactly feel about her since she seems a bit mean from the description we were given about her but I do enjoy that not every character is perfect and amazing since I also feel like that was a bit of an issue for Our Life 1 since a lot of characters were a little too clean or wholesome.

1642735968744.png
Our Life 2: Vianca (Step 2, Sketch) (Copy & Pasted Directly From Patreon)
Remember how we said in Step 1 you’d struggle to get along with Darren if you identified as a girl because Darren was deeply nervous around girls? That’s pretty rough, but this is what multiple Steps are for because in Step 2 here comes Vianca. She’s fully in her “the only people who really relate to me are other women” phase. So if you’re male, adgender, etc., Vianca won’t be easy to connect with, but if you identify as female (all or some of the time) than she’s your girl. She’s the same age the MC/the two leads and attends the same school.
Vianca’s not friends with Qiu, obviously, and she considers them something of a rival because they’re both in ballet. It’s one-sided, though, because Qiu is only interested in competing against their own standards for themselves. Qiu doesn’t notice Vianca much.
Vianca thinks Tamarack is pretty and nice. Vianca also does choir so she can really appreciate Tamarack’s interest in music with her cello playing. But Tamarack is a little too awkward and intimidated by Vianca for them to casually hang out often. They will spend time together if they're in the same space, such as when they're both at school. Even though Vianca does give kind of a frigid mean-girl impression at first glance, she’s honestly not trying to belittle people. She’s just intense and opinionated.
She finds Ren (what Darren goes by in Step 2) to be an odd boy, a suspicious boy, something’s up with him, that’s for sure. Ren isn’t out yet, so she wishfully imagines getting to be a part of Vianca’s gal pal gang but doesn’t have the confidence to ask.
As she grows up, Vianca does change and makes friends with people of all kinds. But Vianca is a lesbian and doesn’t date all genders. Because of that she can’t be a side romance option possibility, if you were wondering about it.
Remember how we said in Step 1 you’d struggle to get along with Darren if you identified as a girl because Darren was deeply nervous around girls? That’s pretty rough, but this is what multiple Steps are for because in Step 2 here comes Vianca. She’s fully in her “the only people who really relate to me are other women” phase. So if you’re male, adgender, etc., Vianca won’t be easy to connect with, but if you identify as female (all or some of the time) than she’s your girl. She’s the same age the MC/the two leads and attends the same school.
Vianca’s not friends with Qiu, obviously, and she considers them something of a rival because they’re both in ballet. It’s one-sided, though, because Qiu is only interested in competing against their own standards for themselves. Qiu doesn’t notice Vianca much.
Vianca thinks Tamarack is pretty and nice. Vianca also does choir so she can really appreciate Tamarack’s interest in music with her cello playing. But Tamarack is a little too awkward and intimidated by Vianca for them to casually hang out often. They will spend time together if they're in the same space, such as when they're both at school. Even though Vianca does give kind of a frigid mean-girl impression at first glance, she’s honestly not trying to belittle people. She’s just intense and opinionated.
She finds Ren (what Darren goes by in Step 2) to be an odd boy, a suspicious boy, something’s up with him, that’s for sure. Ren isn’t out yet, so she wishfully imagines getting to be a part of Vianca’s gal pal gang but doesn’t have the confidence to ask.
As she grows up, Vianca does change and makes friends with people of all kinds. But Vianca is a lesbian and doesn’t date all genders. Because of that she can’t be a side romance option possibility, if you were wondering about it.

Jiffie

Nov 8, 2017
Gosh, she's super pretty! Would love to wear her hair (damn, only a game like this could make me sound like a complete psychopath). She sounds pretty turf-ish, but it seems like an immature kid phase than a biased intolerance, so I don't think she'd be too bad.

I'll be playing as a girl, so I'm sad I'll miss out on this tension. What was this thing with Darren? Was it mentioned in earlier posts?

Anyways, some of my thoughts: given that a lot of the drama is coming from kids being "awkward" with specific genders, I don't think this will have the conflict I'm looking for, just yet. It all seems like harmless "opposite sex are icky" immaturity that won't really rile up any significant conflicts, from me, at least; I feel too much like Qiu on the subject (I'm too focus on my own growth to be worrying about another!). I'll need to see some mature tension before I can be satisfied, without the fear of protraying a character too harshly (If Vianca blossom into a plastic/mean girl of some sort, that'd be gold); if they keep this "segregated" attitude as a teen+, it might prove more interesting...

Jul 30, 2018
Gosh, she's super pretty! Would love to wear her hair (damn, only a game like this could make me sound like a complete psychopath). She sounds pretty turf-ish, but it seems like an immature kid phase than a biased intolerance, so I don't think she'd be too bad.

I'll be playing as a girl, so I'm sad I'll miss out on this tension. What was this thing with Darren? Was it mentioned in earlier posts?

Anyways, some of my thoughts: given that a lot of the drama is coming from kids being "awkward" with specific genders, I don't think this will have the conflict I'm looking for, just yet. It all seems like harmless "opposite sex are icky" immaturity that won't really rile up any significant conflicts, from me, at least; I feel too much like Qiu on the subject (I'm too focus on my own growth to be worrying about another!). I'll need to see some mature tension before I can be satisfied, without the fear of protraying a character too harshly (If Vianca blossom into a plastic/mean girl of some sort, that'd be gold); if they keep this "segregated" attitude as a teen+, it might prove more interesting...
I think the Darren thing is just because of Ren being awkward around girls because she hasn't come out yet and it just kinda makes Vianca just think shes kinda weird.

As for the whole angsty stuff it is a public school so theres a chance some bullying might happen but I feel like itll be more teasing and picking on people than actual harassment or assault I especially don't think itll come from Vianca mostly because shes someone that associate with Tamarack at least somewhat and Tamarack seems really too kind to hang around with an actual mean girl.

Jiffie

Nov 8, 2017
I think the Darren thing is just because of Ren being awkward around girls because she hasn't come out yet and it just kinda makes Vianca just think shes kinda weird.

As for the whole angsty stuff it is a public school so theres a chance some bullying might happen but I feel like itll be more teasing and picking on people than actual harassment or assault I especially don't think itll come from Vianca mostly because shes someone that associate with Tamarack at least somewhat and Tamarack seems really too kind to hang around with an actual mean girl.
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense, I believe that, too, they both seem to be more confused/misunderstanding their own gender, so they're projecting onto others; it's understandable, especially dealing with the uncertainties of childhood.

Yeah, for now, with these characters being in the social circle, I don't expect them to take the role of antagonist; I'm hoping after the developers flush everybody out, they create some bullies/antagonists, sort of like Jeremy, but something more permanent/involved. I'm not even looking for a stereotypical bully, just something/someone who will just not like MC and company no matter what. Jeremy was perfect for this, but giving the setting, he barely ever showed himself, and he was only around for one stage; it was fun having his abrasiveness, but it felt sort of silly given that he was just some strange kid "drifting" into town, it seemed sort of forced at times, like he was being a little shit just so we could experience it (I'm hoping having a more permanent character would build more of a reason for conflict). If we could have a neighborhood/school enemy, following us through all the stages, that would be lovely! I also wouldn't mind resolving the relationship in the future/in older stages, much like Jeremy, as I do think having/being an enemy as an adult is a bit immature, life's'to grand to be dicking around with someone.

Reactions: Elli Wölfin

verlyone

Mar 12, 2018
there will not be any bullying in this game. gbpatch will not be putting that in these games. i'm sorry Jiffee but these Our Life games are not what your looking for if real world conflict is what your wanting. The main dev herself is part of the lbgt+ community and specifically said that we (people in the community) deal with enough of that as it is. we don't need to hear it in a game that is supposed to be uplifting as well.

this is what the dev said attached to Darran's initial introduction:

This is another way we're going with a different direction for this new project. In Our Life 1 everyone treated the MC about the same regardless of your gender in order to make it something no one had to worry about. Everyone could express their gender/sex freely without it being a point of note. In OL2, the characters are supportive of every gender but we're gonna try out having scenes that will include notable alterations based on your identity. Our hope is that no gender choice will have 'better' reactions from people- just different, equally fun experiences to make the game seem even personalized. For example, Darren being nervous around a girl MC will be totally silly rather than an actual problem to deal with and not being a girl will mean you get to have other kinds of goofy experiences with him. It should be a good time for everybody. This also won't be the only case where choosing a certain gender alters situations. Over the course of all the steps, each kind of gender/gender expression will have times where it gets extra special attention.

Last edited:

Tunak23

Aug 16, 2018
Damn more's the pity Vianca's design looks very cool(I wonder if she is a black lass?) and her story is potentially interesting but guess if she is that extreme towards male characters guess my lad will have tough luck approaching her on step 1 much more trying to get hot and bothered with her on later developments.

But seriously I find it fascinating how she apparently goes from a "I only relate to women" phase to being attracted solely to women when se is older,it is a curious reflection about how her romantic tastes were being formed when she was a little girl,if only she ended up as bisexual then I would strive further to unravel that mysterious mess she seems to be,bully esque characters that end up learning from their actions are always fun to read about.

Another female character that stays female during the whole plot could be among the children's friends so I am holding my breath and crossing fingers here cause a second lass as a love interest would be a great gift to compliment Tamarack's route.

5.00 star(s) 11 Votes