5.00 star(s) 11 Votes

CookyDough

Jul 3, 2021
This is Vianca I'm unsure on whether or not shes one of Tamaracks possible friends mostly because from the description it feels like they are just kinda hanging around each other but aren't exactly friends. Shes also confirmed not a romance I'm unsure on how I exactly feel about her since she seems a bit mean from the description we were given about her but I do enjoy that not every character is perfect and amazing since I also feel like that was a bit of an issue for Our Life 1 since a lot of characters were a little too clean or wholesome.

View attachment 1608208
Our Life 2: Vianca (Step 2, Sketch) (Copy & Pasted Directly From Patreon)
Remember how we said in Step 1 you’d struggle to get along with Darren if you identified as a girl because Darren was deeply nervous around girls? That’s pretty rough, but this is what multiple Steps are for because in Step 2 here comes Vianca. She’s fully in her “the only people who really relate to me are other women” phase. So if you’re male, adgender, etc., Vianca won’t be easy to connect with, but if you identify as female (all or some of the time) than she’s your girl. She’s the same age the MC/the two leads and attends the same school.
Vianca’s not friends with Qiu, obviously, and she considers them something of a rival because they’re both in ballet. It’s one-sided, though, because Qiu is only interested in competing against their own standards for themselves. Qiu doesn’t notice Vianca much.
Vianca thinks Tamarack is pretty and nice. Vianca also does choir so she can really appreciate Tamarack’s interest in music with her cello playing. But Tamarack is a little too awkward and intimidated by Vianca for them to casually hang out often. They will spend time together if they're in the same space, such as when they're both at school. Even though Vianca does give kind of a frigid mean-girl impression at first glance, she’s honestly not trying to belittle people. She’s just intense and opinionated.
She finds Ren (what Darren goes by in Step 2) to be an odd boy, a suspicious boy, something’s up with him, that’s for sure. Ren isn’t out yet, so she wishfully imagines getting to be a part of Vianca’s gal pal gang but doesn’t have the confidence to ask.
As she grows up, Vianca does change and makes friends with people of all kinds. But Vianca is a lesbian and doesn’t date all genders. Because of that she can’t be a side romance option possibility, if you were wondering about it.
Remember how we said in Step 1 you’d struggle to get along with Darren if you identified as a girl because Darren was deeply nervous around girls? That’s pretty rough, but this is what multiple Steps are for because in Step 2 here comes Vianca. She’s fully in her “the only people who really relate to me are other women” phase. So if you’re male, adgender, etc., Vianca won’t be easy to connect with, but if you identify as female (all or some of the time) than she’s your girl. She’s the same age the MC/the two leads and attends the same school.
Vianca’s not friends with Qiu, obviously, and she considers them something of a rival because they’re both in ballet. It’s one-sided, though, because Qiu is only interested in competing against their own standards for themselves. Qiu doesn’t notice Vianca much.
Vianca thinks Tamarack is pretty and nice. Vianca also does choir so she can really appreciate Tamarack’s interest in music with her cello playing. But Tamarack is a little too awkward and intimidated by Vianca for them to casually hang out often. They will spend time together if they're in the same space, such as when they're both at school. Even though Vianca does give kind of a frigid mean-girl impression at first glance, she’s honestly not trying to belittle people. She’s just intense and opinionated.
She finds Ren (what Darren goes by in Step 2) to be an odd boy, a suspicious boy, something’s up with him, that’s for sure. Ren isn’t out yet, so she wishfully imagines getting to be a part of Vianca’s gal pal gang but doesn’t have the confidence to ask.
As she grows up, Vianca does change and makes friends with people of all kinds. But Vianca is a lesbian and doesn’t date all genders. Because of that she can’t be a side romance option possibility, if you were wondering about it.
We are only 10 years old in Step 1 so that summary makes me think of the old shoujo animes from the 80-90 like those:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I'm not complaining about the new character; it simply reminded me of certain old animes where the kids had already strong social view and mental. Now that I think about it, they were kinda dark for kids to watch. :unsure:

p.s: they released the mini demo on Steam! Prbably same on Itch.io

Last edited:

verlyone

Mar 12, 2018
as far as I know the demo that was released is the same one that is on here. it might have been polished a bit and I think it has a new art that was commissioned at the start. It doesn't have anything new in it though.

I was picked on strongly when I grew up so. Young kids definitely have strong opinions when they are young. Just because this game is not going to delve into bullying doesn't mean that it won't show that kids have opinions because, of course, they do.

btw, a lot of girls go through a "guys don't understand me" phase and we also usually go thought a "no other girl is like me" phase too. for me it ends up because I'm ace, but for others there is no real reason at all because it has nothing to do with sexuality it's just a part of growing up.

Jiffie

Nov 8, 2017
there will not be any bullying in this game. gbpatch will not be putting that in these games. i'm sorry Jiffee but these Our Life games are not what your looking for if real world conflict is what your wanting. The main dev herself is part of the lbgt+ community and specifically said that we (people in the community) deal with enough of that as it is. we don't need to hear it in a game that is supposed to be uplifting as well.

this is what the dev said attached to Darran's initial introduction:
I mean, yeah, sure? I don't think you understand the "bullying" term I'm using, because one, you seemed to lean heavily into discrimination of the LGBTQIA+ category, of which I didn't even mention was what I wanted???

That's like asking for racism, but that's not what I'm looking for either (though I don't mind handling difficult subject such as these, I'm just saying I understand when someone wants to avoid these topics in their games, so I wouldn't request it). And two, there is already a character exactly like what I'm asking for, so I believe I'm in the right to wish for this.

If you read my post, you'd understand that what I'm asking for is already in GB Patch's games, particularly in OL1 (Xoxo droplets is everything I'm asking for; hell, Kea, in A Fortold Affair, at least is the case as your soulmate, even fits this bill of an antagonist who doesn't like/agree with MC, and is actually what I'm looking for); Jeremy was a bully, no doubt about that, he was a mean little asshole who wanted to ruin everyone's lives who came in contact with him. These developers definitely know how to give the conflict I like, the problem is, Jeremy only exists for one summer, and he really has no reason to interact with you, other than if you approach him (you approach him at the park, he tells you off, his parents forces him to an associates' birthday party, of which you have to approach him again, he tells you off), then, poof, he's gone, no development of this antagonistic relationship. You're not forced to sit in class with him, he doesn't live next to you, if anything, this set up makes it feel like you're bothering Jeremy, than the other way around (kid just truly wants to be a misanthrope all by himself, then here you and your friends go, harassing him!). I want a character that is forced to be around me, not me forced to hunt and find, as the case had been with Jeremy, but I still want the conflict Jeremy had brought, he was fun.

I don't know if GB Patch will do it, but they have done it before, so don't tell me it's not possible.

Reactions: Tunak23
Jul 30, 2018
as far as I know the demo that was released is the same one that is on here. it might have been polished a bit and I think it has a new art that was commissioned at the start. It doesn't have anything new in it though.

I was picked on strongly when I grew up so. Young kids definitely have strong opinions when they are young. Just because this game is not going to delve into bullying doesn't mean that it won't show that kids have opinions because, of course, they do.

btw, a lot of girls go through a "guys don't understand me" phase and we also usually go thought a "no other girl is like me" phase too. for me it ends up because I'm ace, but for others there is no real reason at all because it has nothing to do with sexuality it's just a part of growing up.
Personally I think that's the most likely approach just kids being very opinionated towards you which honestly I would prefer in this case as much as bullying would make sense while being at school I feel like most people would prefer to stray away at least from that specific topic since itll probably hit a little too close to home (I at least know it does for me) and make em feel bad and that's obviously not the point of the game.

I am glad though that they are making characters like Vianca and Ren that are a little more screwy around specific genders since not really understanding yourself is a massive part about growing up so it just feels more natural and just makes the world feel more lived in and I'm all for that.

CookyDough

Jul 3, 2021
With all these talks, it makes me think how the dev in "Our Life 1" talked and developed the topic about Cove parent divorce and how he lived through it in each Steps. It was well done for me. So I wonder what will be the "wounds" of our future LI in this new game :unsure:

I'm not sure about Qiu, but Tamarak mentioned that she loathed the town due to the sameness of the people and things? Things are continually changing in the forest, so it's always intriguing. I think that's when you walk back after finding her.

emojisky.com-14236298.png
I kinda made that face when she said that because it was quite sudden how "dark" the convo suddenly turned ^^;

Fizel

Feb 10, 2018
With all these talks, it makes me think how the dev in "Our Life 1" talked and developed the topic about Cove parent divorce and how he lived through it in each Steps. It was well done for me. So I wonder what will be the "wounds" of our future LI in this new game :unsure:

I'm not sure about Qiu, but Tamarak mentioned that she loathed the town due to the sameness of the people and things? Things are continually changing in the forest, so it's always intriguing. I think that's when you walk back after finding her.

View attachment 1609728
I kinda made that face when she said that because it was quite sudden how "dark" the convo suddenly turned ^^;
I have a slight idea what Qiu's might be.. Though it's kinda spoiler-like.

Jul 30, 2018
I have a slight idea what Qiu's might be.. Though it's kinda spoiler-like.

I remember exactly what you were talking about so I found it for context honestly I kinda forgot that Qiu gets really angsty it was forever ago that I read this post lol, I do rather like it though makes them feel natural especially since I know that I was in a similar place when I was 14.

verlyone

Mar 12, 2018
yeah, I as just going to say that Jiffie might really like the teenage Qiu. They are going to be pretty jerky lol from what we are told. I also wanted to apologize for reading what you wanted wrong. it does seem like this new game is what you are looking for. they are writing in more smaller conflicts into the game. they're even going to allow a jealousy meter into the relationships if someone wants it, but it's not on by default.

When the write up for Vianca went up I was remembering that. so, you have a girl going though her "girls are the best" stage and Qiu going through his jerky kid stage at the same time. no wonder these two don't get along.

Jiffie

Nov 8, 2017
yeah, I as just going to say that Jiffie might really like the teenage Qiu. They are going to be pretty jerky lol from what we are told. I also wanted to apologize for reading what you wanted wrong. it does seem like this new game is what you are looking for. they are writing in more smaller conflicts into the game. they're even going to allow a jealousy meter into the relationships if someone wants it, but it's not on by default.

When the write up for Vianca went up I was remembering that. so, you have a girl going though her "girls are the best" stage and Qiu going through his jerky kid stage at the same time. no wonder these two don't get along.
Hey, no problem! I do like dark subjects, so it's not unreasonable to think I want something more intense. I just get that this is a wholesome game, so I wouldn't ask for any triggering content (I never ask for that, as it's up to the developer's comfort). I just want some duality, the game is sugary sweet (OL1 is, at least), it feels like fluff to me, and I can't tolerate fantasy worlds where nothing ever go wrong, and everybody likes you; it, low key, creeps me out! I wouldn't mind all antagonistic options being optional, as with Jeremy, I think you can sort of avoid him? (maybe at the birthday party? I didn't try, I liked butting heads with him) Just, something about having everyone like me feels like I'm associating with "yesmen" and I start to feel the sentiments are insincere. Gosh, I'm relating really hard to 14 year old Qiu right now.

I'm definitely feeling Qiu, they have the boldness, popularity, and strict expectations that I really mesh well with. As a kid, I was really awkwardly proper, almost exactly as Qiu is when he want you to introduce your full name, and also that screen shot where he insisted on using titles (Mr., Ms. ect.); I can imagine Qiu's family life, and I feel like it may have been much like my own (only if his parents are more supportive and less "tiger parents"). Qiu's a little more rigid than I am, I didn't take myself too seriously, plus I went into a more goth/emo phase than Qiu's loner workaholic one, leaning heavily into academics because I didn't have any friends I could relate to. Qiu's coming to understand their identity was more me struggling to understand my sexuality (all my peers were love sick and horny, and I just didn't get it); I definitely leaned into a "I'm not like other girls" mentality, but it was actually more like "I'm not like you weird humans!" because I just couldn't relate to anybody. Asexuality made me feel really robotic (sometimes it still does).

I'm conflicted, though, I want the full brunt of whatever Qiu's (is that post saying they'll go by "Autumn" at 14?) jerky side, but I'm too lovestruck/fragile to not go all in on the romance, and be their safe haven to hang with! Qiu and Tamarack is just too lovely to be mean to, it'll crush me if we hated each other! :LOL:

Amnelis

Nov 24, 2020
The more I read about Qiu the more promising they become . Looking forward to a "us against the world" sort of relationship but with lots of bumpiness to it. Like when Cove gets bossy and moody but a full step of it!

The more robust friend groups sound exciting, I also like how at least some of the potential friends side characters will be introduced earlier. While I do like the "new kid who just arrived" set up like Baxter where the point is for him to shake things up, I struggled to fully buy into MC, Cove, Terri & Miranda being this really close group of friends since they just kind of show up & the major moments with them happened off-screen.

Jun 21, 2021

Exactly why im gonna make my character a transgender male, just so they can be friends with those people

GregoryRump

Oct 23, 2020
To have some body representation, im sure, which, of course, is not a bad thing. Also, shes a ten year old child- having a bit of body fat is absolutely normal
As with the above commenter, and it's ESPECIALLY normal with young girls right before puberty.
Yeah, but the male love interests in their games are slender - slight muscular guys, even as a child. You can't make the argument of 'representation' of different body shapes since clearly they don't care about it if it's for love interests. There are designs of Tamarack when she's older and the fat-ness still remains so it's not a temporary childhood thing. I'm not saying it's bad since some people are into that, I'm just saying it's unfair that the people attracted to guys gets incredibly attractive options while those who like girls are... well let's just say not given the same options.

Jul 30, 2018
Yeah, but the male love interests in their games are slender - slight muscular guys, even as a child. You can't make the argument of 'representation' of different body shapes since clearly they don't care about it if it's for love interests. There are designs of Tamarack when she's older and the fat-ness still remains so it's not a temporary childhood thing. I'm not saying it's bad since some people are into that, I'm just saying it's unfair that the people attracted to guys gets incredibly attractive options while those who like girls are... well let's just say not given the same options.
I mean I don't really see the problem Tamarack as a kid is just slightly chubby that happens shes 10 and at 14 shes still chubby like yeah? Shes not much taller and her hormones are off the rocker that happens? Like she hasn't really developed yet of course shes gonna be chubby like my dude on average a gal can have anywhere from 6-11% more body fat than a guy and during puberty that actually sky rockets to allow a woman to develop properly and gain a figure, Shes just a late bloomer and we literally have no idea what shes gonna look like in the future since we don't have her Step 3 design yet and even if she stays on the heavier side who cares? I like her because her personality is fun and shes a really nice person and just because shes chubbier doesn't mean she can't develop into an attractive person like hell GB Patch made Miranda and shes on the chubbier side but I still find her adorable so I really see no issues here I'm gonna find Tamarack great no matter what.

Jiffie

Nov 8, 2017
I hear your complaint, and it's super valid (I have my preferences, too), but I think you're in the wrong developer if you think you're not going to be challenge by social standards in this game, and not "force" to ignore or over come those.

Yes, Tamarack is fat, and I do believe she will stay fat as it feels integral to her character design. The problem is, you think because no male in these games has been fat (I don't think any female has been, either?), that there isn't any other physical attributes to make them "unattractive"; no LI in any of these games have met my beauty standards, but I still think they're attractive. Do you not think Tamarack is gorgeous? Like, my God, she's so cute! I'm kind of not believing it, and think you're just hung up on the fat.

First, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", Tamarack's fatness is bothering you because you apparently aren't attracted to fat people, but that's you, not everyone else who plays this game. Some people will not like light/dark skin, some people will not like brown/blue eyes, some people will want a blonde, some people will want a short man, or a tall woman. What you are complaining about is the beauty standards of our society today, and I think that is the very reason they made Tamarack fat; kind of poetic, really.

I don't know if you'll believe me, but people are way more accepting of fat men than they are to fat women, just look at any Hollywood sitcom/male fantasy "boy gets the girl" story, and the man is always an ugly bastard (often fat) and the woman is a bombshell pinup bunny. The man is always the appropriate age actor of 30-40, and the woman is some young 18-25 supermodel. Hell, play any other game on this site, and you'll see the beauty standards of men vs women.

Get with the times, we're challenging beauty standards over here, and falling in love with the mind before the body; not even that, realizing that humans are so, so beautiful, in every shape, size, and color, and you're missing out if you think something as silly as roundness is enough to make them unappealing. I hope you can get rid of your shallowness and understand that fat is just a beautiful as skinny, media just told you it wasn't.

5.00 star(s) 11 Votes