5.00 star(s) 13 Votes

callhernene

Jul 1, 2022
I don't want to be ungrateful and I know gb is an indie industry, but I really think we should be getting more contend. I'm happy the game gives us so many choices and she listens to feedback, but one whole month for what? Half of a step?15 minutes of gameplay? I've replayed the game a thousand times, and most of the text is the same. The game problably will take more 5 years to complete. I could understand the first two years bc our life 1 was on the making too. But now that she could focus on our life 2, she's already writing another game. I check here everymonth almost everyday, and I'm upset with how long it's taking. I love this game and i think we all do, so i hope you can understand my frustration
I can understand why someone might have this opinion if they've never been involved or made a choice-heavy game. But there are lots of reasons it's taking so long and that we're actually lucky to it isn't taking longer. I'll list them off. But needless to say, there's a reason you don't see games like Our Life being made even in big industries, despite how

1. The most important one, GB Lady creates this game virtually all by herself. Literally. She comes up with the ideas, drafts them and writes them. She is at least a quarter involved with the programming process if not more, with the local legend Shauna luckily taking on the remainder of that load. Not to mention that a lot of misspellings are bound to be involved due to the sheer amount of writing.
Luckily, again, this is something she only has to handle partially due to her brother, but she herself still needs to look over her writing and change thing. Then she has to come up with designs for things. Thank God, though, the artists do the heavy lifting for this. With all this being said, it's rare for the creator/director of a game of this scale to do this much and be this involved in practically every aspect.
Then, the sensitivity readers, who actually do very little to nothing and to be extremely brutally frank are actually likely to add to GB's workload than subtract to it, since the input she gets from them and even pays them for can easily come from the minority base of her fandom. However, I imagine she wants some discretion/to avoid spoiling a lot of the game, so it's easy to see why she opted to have them.

2. This is not just any normal 'choices matter' game like we see from hosted games. This is a Visual Novel. You know when we see things like characters blinking, their expressions changing, the speech bubbles, animations around the speech bubbles, leaves falling and raindrops? This is called directing and when performed by just a single individual, it can take up to weeks to complete.
This being said, I think OL2 takes maybe days, a week at max due to helpful tools. OL2 nevertheless still does have way more complex directing than your average Visual Novel does, including OL1. Almost everything you see in the game is layered. The sky, the trees, the bushes, those are separate layers that have to be arranged. This is something else GB Lady has to do all by herself, in order to get across the desired effects and atmosphere.

3. Unlike OL1 almost every single choice you make in OL2 matters in varying extents. Step One of OL2 already has more choices than Step One of OL1, and OL2's Step One isn't even finished yet. This requires a lot of flags and branching, both of which can be difficult to keep track of the longer the game goes on. It takes more than you would think to make the game remember even basic details, like if the MC is left-handed or right-handed. It's a big reason why a lot of Visual Novels go the 'management' or 'point system' route and make your character customizable via that (The Sims, Growing Up, XOXO Droplets, and many, many, more). Most Visual Novels have a 'right' or 'wrong' choice, because it is a lot more sustainable and straightforward to create.

4. Having two concurrent love interests mean double the branching, flags, writing and programming. This, again, is why visual novels with more than one love interest have 'right or wrong' choices, requirements and/or point systems. But as if that's not enough, you don't even have to pursue a romantic relationship with them. You can be friends or neighbors. That triples the amount. Then the dynamics system, even now in Step One, where you can alter just the MC's part of the dynamic, the amount is now quadrupled. Not to mention that the MC's personality is not customized by the dynamics, but individual of the dynamics system. When Step Two officially comes around, progress will be even slower due to the option to also be able to customize Qiu and Tamarack's dynamics. Keep in mind that you also have the option to go from Crush to just Neighbors or vice versa. That makes this game at minimum, seven times longer than OL1. And this is just the stuff that we as players, can see. By the time this game is finished, there will be thousands of potential alterations and at least a million words.

5. MC's family dynamic is more customizable. Which, you guessed it, more drafting, writing, and coding.

6. Lastly, GB Lady, due to player vote through Patreon, now has two mandatory off-days per week. While I think she deserves them, we have to remember that this was not the case with OL1, where she only had off-days per her own choosing (birthdays, sickness, vacations, etc). So now she has her chosen off-days and mandatory ones. Just that by itself makes progress a little slower.

So yes, Late 2025 is a more ambitious goal than GB Lady might realize it is right now. She might reach it, but chances are that Step Two will be just getting finished by that time, or we'll be in the middle of Step Three. Also, if we're following the same pattern as OL1, Step Two moments will be longer than those of Step One. The game, Wedding DLC and all, is likely to be fully finished around Late 2027 or early 2028.

Tk3012

Jul 21, 2024
If anyone could humbly answer my question, I would be very grateful :')
I know you can become Tamarack's best friend in step 1 right at the beginning, through a conversation you have with her where you change from "friend" to "best friend". But I wanted to be Qiu's best friend in stage one, but I never saw any dialogue between them that would allow me to do that. I'm probably too distracted and didn't see it. But if someone can genuinely help me get this dialogue going .
I looked around here to see if anyone had already asked this question, but I didn't find anything. So I assume I'm just really absent-minded.

Savaralyn

Apr 30, 2023
I know you can become Tamarack's best friend in step 1 right at the beginning, through a conversation you have with her where you change from "friend" to "best friend". But I wanted to be Qiu's best friend in stage one, but I never saw any dialogue between them that would allow me to do that. I'm probably too distracted and didn't see it. But if someone can genuinely help me get this dialogue going .
I looked around here to see if anyone had already asked this question, but I didn't find anything. So I assume I'm just really absent-minded.
I think Qiu's best friend dialogue happens either during "Hide and Seek" (if you choose to stay with Qiu when he and Tamarack have their little fight in the forest) or during "Magic" (again, if you stay with Qiu in the fort while Tamarack goes to see her grandfather).

I just can't recall when it actually locks in, I feel like there was a line in the Hide and Seek ver where even if you say Qiu is your best friend, you internally think that you feel that way even if Qiu may not think you're HIS best friend, but I'm not sure.

lovelyautumn

Formerly 'shortdegenerate'
Nov 27, 2021
chipping in with what the other user said, hide and seek and magic are the moments where you can lock in a "best friend" status with qiu

Julia11929292

Sep 29, 2024
View attachment 1565119

Overview:
Begin your life anew in this second installment to the lovingly nostalgic “Our Life” series.
Fall has settled over a quaint town high on a mountain as the story begins. But it isn’t only the leaves that are changing. You and your mother were leaving behind everything you knew before, having just moved into that well-worn house in the middle of a tight knit cul-de-sac. It’s there where a delicate paper airplane lands at your feet and leads you to unanticipated crossroads…
Make your own path through life as you grow from childhood to adulthood with your two closest neighbors. Even in the chilly autumn weather, it’ll be a truly heartwarming time
Features:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Thread Updated: 2024-08-29
Release Date: 2024-08-28
Developer: GBPatch - - - -
Censored: No
Version: 1.4.5 Beta
Language: English
Genre:

Installation:

Changelog:

DOWNLOAD
Win/Linux: - - MEGA - - PIXELDRAIN
Mac: - - - PIXELDRAIN
Android: - MEGA - - PIXELDRAIN

Patches: *

Thomas1999 thanks for the links
*This unofficial port/version is not released by developer, download at your own risk.

View attachment 1565111 View attachment 1565112 View attachment 1565113 View attachment 1565114 View attachment 1565115 View attachment 1565116 View attachment 1565117 View attachment 1565118
Hello!! Are you making an update on beta 1.4.6?

forvt

Aug 7, 2022
GREAT NEWS!

"Coming Next:
In October I'm gonna write the Halloween Moment for the teenage times, very fitting. I'll also choose a new Step 2 Moment to fully draft.

And to keep the Halloween train going, Part 2 of Trick or Treat will be added to the Patreon beta build. That also might not be all. The hope is that the Qiu Sep 2 intro scene will be available as well! That has a CG, and last month it didn't even have a sketch to use in the test build, but that should change soon. The public demo update won't happen in October, but it won't be too much longer than that."

there's a possibility we will have more of step 2 prologue for October too :D, the prologue was also fully written and drafted and it's huge in size (there's like, 3 parts and almost 50K words, at least that was what I understood). She's already drafting a step 2 moment (not the one she talks about in the text.).

lovelyautumn

Formerly 'shortdegenerate'
Nov 27, 2021
GREAT NEWS!

"Coming Next:
In October I'm gonna write the Halloween Moment for the teenage times, very fitting. I'll also choose a new Step 2 Moment to fully draft.

And to keep the Halloween train going, Part 2 of Trick or Treat will be added to the Patreon beta build. That also might not be all. The hope is that the Qiu Sep 2 intro scene will be available as well! That has a CG, and last month it didn't even have a sketch to use in the test build, but that should change soon. The public demo update won't happen in October, but it won't be too much longer than that."

there's a possibility we will have more of step 2 prologue for October too :D, the prologue was also fully written and drafted and it's huge in size (there's like, 3 parts and almost 50K words, at least that was what I understood). She's already drafting a step 2 moment (not the one she talks about in the text.).
kab works faster than i thought, already a draft for a step 2 moment?? woah

Haklsdad

Jul 25, 2024
GREAT NEWS!

"Coming Next:

I love step one, but even a scrap of step 2 content is way more hype for me because qiu kinda got shafted in 1.4.7. He got nothing but the intro stuff for the step.

callhernene

Jul 1, 2022
I love step one, but even a scrap of step 2 content is way more hype for me because qiu kinda got shafted in 1.4.7. He got nothing but the intro stuff for the step.
To be fair, due to being a fan favorite, Autumn gets a lot of attention so I'm sort of glad they ended up on the backburner for this beta. It makes me happy GB tries to acknowledge her female-attracted part of the fanbase despite us being in the overall minority.

Reactions: forvt and Fizel

callhernene

Jul 1, 2022
That said, I am kind of doubting the ability of her completing everything promised for this month. I have no doubt she'll deliver on the Halloween moment, but one of the two Step Two things may not end up getting done just because how massive it all is to write. She does work very diligently, though, so it's not impossible.

blankex

May 12, 2020
3d
GREAT NEWS!

"Coming Next:

I surpise we are getting step 2 content in october

forvt

Aug 7, 2022
To be fair, due to being a fan favorite, Autumn gets a lot of attention so I'm sort of glad they ended up on the backburner for this beta. It makes me happy GB tries to acknowledge her female-attracted part of the fanbase despite us being in the overall minority.
Qiu is my favorite but I agree. I really like when a dev team gives equal attention to their leads despite a difference in popularity.

Reactions: yjummyjum

forvt

Aug 7, 2022
That said, I am kind of doubting the ability of her completing everything promised for this month. I have no doubt she'll deliver on the Halloween moment, but one of the two Step Two things may not end up getting done just because how massive it all is to write. She does work very diligently, though, so it's not impossible.
The only thing she really needs to do for step two to keep her promise is putting Qiu's intro into the beta build, the step 2 moment drafting/writing is less of a promise and more of her listing things she should focus on during October.

snibsiesss

Oct 2, 2024
does anyone know when we'll be able to download the newest beta off here? (beta version 1.4.6)

edit : nevermind i read back and just found it. tysm to the person who uploaded it ur a life saver

Last edited:
5.00 star(s) 13 Votes