Mod Ren'Py Our Red String JDMOD [0.12.1.2.a] [JohnDupont]

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

liberatorus

Jun 12, 2022
Thanks, I found the issue: During Lena's shopping in Chapter 10, the game would switch to the unmodded version if you bought the lust robe or left the shop. I don't think it's gamebreaking enough to release a bugfix.
Does this bug only affect that particular save?

Because I tried loading an older save from Chapter 1 and I still can't get the IGG to work. The interface is not very clear on which state is off and which is on, the yellow bar on the left side means it's enabled right? I tried setting everything to off and also tried everything to on, but no changes.

Here are the only possible reasons I can think of that are problematic.

1. I installed the mod midway through Chapter 5. Does the mod only work if you start a new game?
2. I am playing on MacOS, does the mod work on MacOS
3. Does the mod only get enabled at the beginning of a chapter? Or does it still work midway from a chapter?

Déshonorée

Nov 12, 2017

Because I tried loading an older save from Chapter 1 and I still can't get the IGG to work. The interface is not very clear on which state is off and which is on, the yellow bar on the left side means it's enabled right? I tried setting everything to off and also tried everything to on, but no changes.

1. I installed the mod midway through Chapter 5. Does the mod only work if you start a new game?
3. Does the mod only get enabled at the beginning of a chapter? Or does it still work midway from a chapter?
Yeah same problem. I think we have to play new game because my previous saves doesn't work with IGG too.

JohnDupont

Modder
May 26, 2017

You should find the answers to your questions in the FAQ. If you don't, please let me know so I can improve it.

liberatorus

Jun 12, 2022
You should find the answers to your questions in the FAQ. If you don't, please let me know so I can improve it.
I did read the FAQ, and the most relevant point to my issue is the question:

I tried loading an old save with the new version and got the following exception: Couldn't find a place to stop rolling back. Perhaps the script changed in an incompatible way.
Issue is I never got an exception, the IGG just does not show up.
As an answer to this question, you mention that the saves are incompatible between modded and unmodded. And that you can disable/enable IGG at the beginning of chapter. But that does not clarify if you have to actually start a new game/chapter for the mod to work.

I took the FAQ answer to mean that if you save midway through a chapter with the mod installed, then you can't uninstall the mod and expect the save to work.

It does not clarify clearly if the mod requires starting a new game/chapter for the IGG to work.

From my own experiments it does seem like the mod requires new game. I loaded my old chapter 1 save and couldn't get IGG to work even with all the options enabled and I can see the mod options in the phone, but when I start a new game, I can get the IGG to work again.

Maybe you can add this clarification in the FAQ if I am correct.

JohnDupont

Modder
May 26, 2017
I did read the FAQ, and the most relevant point to my issue is the question:

Issue is I never got an exception, the IGG just does not show up.
As an answer to this question, you mention that the saves are incompatible between modded and unmodded. And that you can disable/enable IGG at the beginning of chapter. But that does not clarify if you have to actually start a new game/chapter for the mod to work.

I took the FAQ answer to mean that if you save midway through a chapter with the mod installed, then you can't uninstall the mod and expect the save to work.

It does not clarify clearly if the mod requires starting a new game/chapter for the IGG to work.

From my own experiments it does seem like the mod requires new game. I loaded my old chapter 1 save and couldn't get IGG to work even with all the options enabled and I can see the mod options in the phone, but when I start a new game, I can get the IGG to work again.

Maybe you can add this clarification in the FAQ if I am correct.
When it comes to the In-Game Guide, the JDMOD works as its own version of the game. Therefore, loading an old save made without the mod will still use the unmodded (without the In-Game Guide) version.

You can also switch manually between modded and unmodded at the start of each Chapter:
1680188791196.png

You can recognize a modded save from an unmodded one from its description as the former's will always starts by "JDMOD".
1680188782846.png

I'm adding this to the FAQ, please let me know if more clarifications are needed. Maybe changing modded/unmodded to with/without the In-Game Guide since the other features still work?

Btw, screenshots are from the version I'm working on to make it clearer. I'll also be clarifying the IGG settings when playing with it too. Any ideas are welcome.
1680188634140.png

Reactions: liberatorus

liberatorus

Jun 12, 2022
When it comes to the In-Game Guide, the JDMOD works as its own version of the game. Therefore, loading an old save made without the mod will still use the unmodded (without the In-Game Guide) version.

You can also switch manually between modded and unmodded at the start of each Chapter:
View attachment 2506889

You can recognize a modded save from an unmodded one from its description as the former's will always starts by "JDMOD".
View attachment 2506888

I'm adding this to the FAQ, please let me know if more clarifications are needed. Maybe changing modded/unmodded to with/without the In-Game Guide since the other features still work?

Btw, screenshots are from the version I'm working on to make it clearer. I'll also be clarifying the IGG settings when playing with it too. Any ideas are welcome.
View attachment 2506884
This is great, I figured as much. Thanks a lot for clarifying this and adding the IGG enabled hint. But also apart from this clarification also add a F.A.Q question about "Do I have to start a new game". The answer will be technically no, since you could just wait till the next chapter to get the IGG to enable. But if you want to have IGG on right away then it's better to start a new game.

And additionally, if I may offer a suggestion you could make the enable and disable states of the features a bit more clearer. Maybe a green vs red color? Because right now, one state has an orange bar on the left, but the text is greyed out. So initially I struggled to figure out which setting was enabled and which was disabled. I guessed it by just trying both enable all and disable all.

JohnDupont

Modder
May 26, 2017
This is great, I figured as much. Thanks a lot for clarifying this and adding the IGG enabled hint. But also apart from this clarification also add a F.A.Q question about "Do I have to start a new game". The answer will be technically no, since you could just wait till the next chapter to get the IGG to enable. But if you want to have IGG on right away then it's better to start a new game.

And additionally, if I may offer a suggestion you could make the enable and disable states of the features a bit more clearer. Maybe a green vs red color? Because right now, one state has an orange bar on the left, but the text is greyed out. So initially I struggled to figure out which setting was enabled and which was disabled. I guessed it by just trying both enable all and disable all.
I uploaded the new version. I still need to add a message to the Load menus (main menu and in-game phone).

About the IGG Settings, I tend to keep the style of the game. I agree with you that it was clear so I swapped the colors around: selected is now white while non-selected is grey ; also hovering over a selected option now changes its color to yellow.

JohnnyKiss

Oct 1, 2017
I uploaded the new version. I still need to add a message to the Load menus (main menu and in-game phone).

About the IGG Settings, I tend to keep the style of the game. I agree with you that it was clear so I swapped the colors around: selected is now white while non-selected is grey ; also hovering over a selected option now changes its color to yellow.
The mod seems to be skipping a scene between Louis and Lena when she comes to ask to have a threesome with her and Jeremy. Louis comes, tells Lena she wants to talk about Jeremy but it never goes anywhere as Holly interrupts them. To be fair, I am not sure if this is a bug or just how the game goes.

Solomon Grundy

Nov 25, 2021
Currently playing a starting from scratch 10.3 game with the latest mod and I noticed a couple of things.

First, during the pool games, there doesn't seem to be any highlighting or anything in the section where you have to select one of the three "x" icons to pick where you're hitting the ball. I seem to remember this working as expected back in v9, but I'm old and easily confused so maybe it was never there. :ROFLMAO:

Also, in the sections where Ian is working on his novel, I understand there are optimal choices to be made, but I can't tell from the interface which one(s) I'm supposed to choose. There are different color outlines around each choice when you mouse hover over them, and I noticed that generally one of the numbers underneath the cards is black or dark grey while the other two are white. Am I supposed to avoid the dark colored one and the other two are equally good choices? Or is the dark one the "highlighted" choice I'm supposed to make. This is really just a case of me not understanding the UI choice, but seemed worth pointing out.

Last, I think there may be some hidden requirements for some choices that aren't being reflected in the help text. Two examples I can remember off the top of my head, when Ian has the chance to tell Wade something to the effect of, "You need to fight for her" re Wade and Cindy's relationship, I was not able to select this option, even though Ian had the required amount of Wits or Charisma (can't remember which was required exactly). I *think* maybe I couldn't pick it because I'd had Ian flirting with her pretty consistently up to that point, but not really sure. Likewise, in the second or third sex scene with Alison (again, sorry I can't remember exactly which one) one of the "lust" options during the scene is to call her a slut. Couldn't pick it, no idea why.

I'm sure I've said this to you before, but it's worth repeating, all in all a fantastic mod. Really, thank you for all the work you put into it, it's appreciated.

indyc

Game Developer
Jun 15, 2017
Everything I've read so far mentions to use the installer in the JMOD folder. I have downloaded it from 2 different sites and see no such installer in any of the JMOD folders. Copying files into the main ORS folder doesn't seem to work either. Sorry if this concern has been brought up before. I looked and couldn't find it but thank you for your time.

Solomon Grundy

Nov 25, 2021
Everything I've read so far mentions to use the installer in the JMOD folder. I have downloaded it from 2 different sites and see no such installer in any of the JMOD folders. Copying files into the main ORS folder doesn't seem to work either. Sorry if this concern has been brought up before. I looked and couldn't find it but thank you for your time.
From the first post in this thread:
Installation:

For PC, Linux and Mac, follow these

For Android, the mod needs to be installed before porting the game. I can't release my own version because of the reasons stated in the FAQ.

Reactions: JohnDupont

JohnDupont

Modder
May 26, 2017
The mod seems to be skipping a scene between Louis and Lena when she comes to ask to have a threesome with her and Jeremy. Louis comes, tells Lena she wants to talk about Jeremy but it never goes anywhere as Holly interrupts them. To be fair, I am not sure if this is a bug or just how the game goes.
I guess it's how the game goes.

Louise tries to ask Lena before she goes on stage but get interrupted by Holly's arrival.
Python:
    if v7_bbc == "lena":
        lo "..."
        $ flena = "sad"
        "There it was again, that tense feeling that had settled between us since that night at Ivy's place..."
        if v8_jeremy_sex:
            "And Louise had plenty of reasons to be tense, but she wasn't aware of those. Was she?"
        l "So..."
        lo "I wanted to talk about something with you."
        l "What about? Can't it wait? I'm about to go on stage."
        lo "It has to do with Jeremy..."
        $ flena = "worried"
        l "Oh."
[...]
    show lena at rig3
    show louise at lef3
    with move
    $ fholly = "happy"
    show holly2 with short
    h "Hi."
    $ flouise = "n"
    $ flena = "smile"
    l "Hi, Holly! Thanks for coming tonight."
    h "No, thank you for inviting me..."
After the show, Louise asks Lena for the threesome if Lena and Ian aren't a couple.
Python:
    show ian at lef with short
    i "So, that went well."
    l "Yeah...! Better than the first time, or it felt that way..."
    i "You looked way more calm and comfortable today."
    show ian at lef3
    show lena2 at truecenter
    with move
    $ fivy = "smile"
    show ivy at rig3 with short
    v "Yeah, you already got this. No biggie."
    $ flena = "smile"
    "We chatted a bit and Ivy invited Ian to join us next Saturday. Unsurprisingly, her birthday celebration would take place at Blazer."

if v7_bbc == "lena" and ian_lena_couple == False:
            $ flena = "worried"
            $ flouise = "sad"
            if lena_holly_sex or v8_holly_sex == "lenaivy":
                lo "But that's not what I wanted to talk about. What I was about to tell you before..."
            else:
                lo "So, what I was trying to tell you before..."
            l "About Jeremy, yeah."
            if v8_jeremy_sex or v8_jeremy_flirt:
                "I was afraid of what was about to come. Had Louise found out about the liberties I had taken with her boyfriend?"
            lo "I know this will sound really weird, but I wanted to ask you..."
            lo "Would you... Would you be up for a threesome with me and Jeremy?"
            $ flena = "surprise"
            l "Wha--?" with vpunch
            $ flouise = "blush"
            lo "I'm sorry, I told you this was weird...!"
            lo "But we were talking and well, he wanted to do it... I told him you were gonna say no, but he insisted I ask you, so..."
            menu:
                "I'm in!" (req=[("lust", 6)], cha=["jeremy_rel_++"], sc="CH10_S11") if lena_lust > 6: # Updated: 0.10FINAL #
                    $ renpy.block_rollback()
                    $ v10_jeremy_3some = True
I can confirm the mod is working in accordance with the game. This is a screenshot from my playthrough:
1681061601429.png
Currently playing a starting from scratch 10.3 game with the latest mod and I noticed a couple of things.

First, during the pool games, there doesn't seem to be any highlighting or anything in the section where you have to select one of the three "x" icons to pick where you're hitting the ball. I seem to remember this working as expected back in v9, but I'm old and easily confused so maybe it was never there. :ROFLMAO:
I found the issue, it'll be fixed in the next version.

Also, in the sections where Ian is working on his novel, I understand there are optimal choices to be made, but I can't tell from the interface which one(s) I'm supposed to choose. There are different color outlines around each choice when you mouse hover over them, and I noticed that generally one of the numbers underneath the cards is black or dark grey while the other two are white. Am I supposed to avoid the dark colored one and the other two are equally good choices? Or is the dark one the "highlighted" choice I'm supposed to make. This is really just a case of me not understanding the UI choice, but seemed worth pointing out.
I should have made the images black and white too.

To rank choices, I always use the same 3 colors: Gold > White > Grey
This is a screenshot taken from the tutorial at the start of a new game:
1681060481926.png

Last, I think there may be some hidden requirements for some choices that aren't being reflected in the help text. Two examples I can remember off the top of my head, when Ian has the chance to tell Wade something to the effect of, "You need to fight for her" re Wade and Cindy's relationship, I was not able to select this option, even though Ian had the required amount of Wits or Charisma (can't remember which was required exactly). I *think* maybe I couldn't pick it because I'd had Ian flirting with her pretty consistently up to that point, but not really sure. Likewise, in the second or third sex scene with Alison (again, sorry I can't remember exactly which one) one of the "lust" options during the scene is to call her a slut. Couldn't pick it, no idea why.
Most requirements that don't use icons aren't reflected in a tooltip. I try to use them sparingly for important choices.

For the scene with Wade, the requirements are ian_charisma > 2 and ian_go_cindy < 3. ian_go_cindy < 3 is one of the variables used for Cindy's Route.
For the scene with Alison, the requirements are ian_lust > 4 and ian_alison_like == 2. ian_alison_like == 2 is one of the variables used for Alison's Route.

To add a tooltip, I would have to explain what all these variables are and when you can get them but it would be against my philosophy of keeping the mod as simple as possible for the user (not that I think it is). If you're curious, please refer to BloodyMares' Guide: https://f95zone.to/threads/our-red-string-v10-3-ch-11-prologue-eva-kiss.48813/post-3660270

I'm sure I've said this to you before, but it's worth repeating, all in all a fantastic mod. Really, thank you for all the work you put into it, it's appreciated.
It's much appreciated. Thanks for the reports.

BloodyMares

Dec 4, 2017
Appreciate the shout-out. Glad we're both able to provide something unique to the player experience. Regarding that example: Maybe in instances like these (where raising ian_go_cindy score prevents opportunities to help Wade), maybe the actions that raise that score (commenting on the photo, making a sexual innuendo, dancing together, etc) could have a small warning tip that says "These actions contribute to the Ian x Cindy path, and will prevent Ian from helping Cindy and Wade's relationship". That way it would clearly telegraph the consequence of these actions without overcomplicating the walkthrough with hidden variables. But I'm ignorant and maybe you're already doing it :)

Déshonorée

Nov 12, 2017
Appreciate the shout-out. Glad we're both able to provide something unique to the player experience. Regarding that example: Maybe in instances like these (where raising ian_go_cindy score prevents opportunities to help Wade), maybe the actions that raise that score (commenting on the photo, making a sexual innuendo, dancing together, etc) could have a small warning tip that says "These actions contribute to the Ian x Cindy path, and will prevent Ian from helping Cindy and Wade's relationship". That way it would clearly telegraph the consequence of these actions without overcomplicating the walkthrough with hidden variables. But I'm ignorant and maybe you're already doing it :)
Thanks to both JD and you I'll love to play with mod and looking to walktrough for which variable affected with any choice I made. Hoping for future walktrough by you BM.

Solomon Grundy

Nov 25, 2021
Ya, helping Wade out is a seriously tough needle to thread. I realize it's probably not a common or popular route, but holy hell it's hard if you want to do it. You need to show enough interest in Cindy that she invites Ian to the gallery event, but not so much that you lock him out of the options to try and push them back together.

BloodyMares

Dec 4, 2017
Ya, helping Wade out is a seriously tough needle to thread. I realize it's probably not a common or popular route, but holy hell it's hard if you want to do it. You need to show enough interest in Cindy that she invites Ian to the gallery event, but not so much that you lock him out of the options to try and push them back together.
Not really, you don't need to show any interest in Cindy for her to invite Ian. You just need to have enough relationship points to go to the bar date with her (as a friend). The requirements for the gallery event are: v3_cindy_date (going to Shine with Cindy), Cindy relationship > 3, and v3_cindy_reject = False (don't grope Cindy) during the dance.

The easiest way to do that is to reach enough relationship points with her (4), don't make sexual innuendo during the pool game, agree to go to Shine with her, and then don't pay for her drinks.

Samuel Hidayat

May 16, 2019
Not really, you don't need to show any interest in Cindy for her to invite Ian. You just need to have enough relationship points to go to the bar date with her (as a friend). The requirements for the gallery event are: v3_cindy_date (going to Shine with Cindy), Cindy relationship > 3, and v3_cindy_reject = False (don't grope Cindy) during the dance.

The easiest way to do that is to reach enough relationship points with her (4), don't make sexual innuendo during the pool game, agree to go to Shine with her, and then don't pay for her drinks.
Iirc, even if Ian does have ian_go_cindy points, telling her to bring Wade to the museum removes them.

JohnDupont

Modder
May 26, 2017
I'll try to explore this idea for the mod.

I made a post detailing Cindy's Route earlier this year if you're interested: https://f95zone.to/threads/our-red-string-jdmod-0-11prologue-final-b-johndupont.76087/post-9842340

BloodyMares

Dec 4, 2017
Iirc, even if Ian does have ian_go_cindy points, telling her to bring Wade to the museum removes them.
It does, but the crucial choice is with Wade, which takes place before Cindy invites Ian to the museum, and there's no way to lower the ian_go_cindy score until then. And you need the positive wade_cindy score (convinced Wade to put more effort) to make Cindy invite Wade in the first place. You can have positive ian_go_cindy score but not the max value of 3, which blocks the option "You need to fight for Cindy".

Solomon Grundy

Nov 25, 2021
You can have positive ian_go_cindy score but not the max value of 3, which blocks the option "You need to fight for Cindy".
And that right there is my issue. It's just an odd, needless roadblock in my opinion. I traced it out using your guide to see where I was messing up, and it's just waaaay easy to max that value at 3 without even really flirting with her. Making a joke comment on her picture she posts and then dancing with her at the bar/club will do it. And even if he was flirting with her, two things can be true at the same time. It's entirely possible to imagine a scenario where Ian wants her, and enjoys flirting with her, but is still a good enough friend to Wade to try and help keep them together.

I dunno, maybe it's just me.

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes