Succubus Hunter

Conversation Conqueror
May 19, 2020
Yeah. I've played all of the games developed by ExcessM so far since I'm a big fan of shota games, but I think they're trying way too hard to fix something that's not broken, to be experimental. The animations and character models are starting to get a bit too "stretched" and wide for my taste, the character outlines are weak, I don't like the sense of proportions.

What made Parade Buster and the original One Shota pixel games so great for me was that despite the stiff gameplay, the characters looked just right. Dominant women, but not literal tanks. The animation looped, but it was very clear what was going on. ExcessM's recent character designs and animations are so wide exaggerated that it makes me wonder what is going on at times. Way too much for me.
I never saw the Super Punch Boy women being too oversized. They are bigger in that game for two reasons.

1. As Excessm said on their Ci-en page, they wanted to convey the feeling of being a much smaller male being in a boxing match against a much bigger woman.

2. In a game where you are being chased by multiple women, the focus is on the women as a group rather than on being dominated by an individual one. As such it makes sense to make each of them smaller in order to save on screen space.

That said, if you are used to seeing the same size women from one game to the next, I can see how seeing a much bigger one in POV could be jarring.

Helblau

Mar 12, 2019
I never saw the Super Punch Boy women being too oversized. They are bigger in that game for two reasons.

1. As Excessm said on their Ci-en page, they wanted to convey the feeling of being a much smaller male being in a boxing match against a much bigger woman.

2. In a game where you are being chased by multiple women, the focus is on the women as a group rather than on being dominated by an individual one. As such it makes sense to make each of them smaller in order to save on screen space.

That said, if you are used to seeing the same size women from one game to the next, I can see how seeing a much bigger one in POV could be jarring.
That feeling of being small against large women was always present in ExcessM's work since it's shota femdom, but it wasn't exaggerated to this degree and I personally don't like gigantic proportions as opposed to more realistic ones. I like big women, but big is one thing and gigantic is another. Since the protagonist is already small by definition, for me it makes no sense to exaggerate the proportions in women that are already mature and stronger than the short male.

Of course this being my preference doesn't mean my taste is absolute and Parade Buster or the early games are better for everyone, but I do have my reasons for not liking these huge proportions as much. There's a lot of visual clutter.

Succubus Hunter

Conversation Conqueror
May 19, 2020
That and I think Excessm was trying to replicate the feel of Mike Tyson's Punch Out (and did so quite well might I add)
Excessm did a lot of things right but as much as I love Super Punch Boy, MC is WAY too powerful. I mean, if you play at the normal difficulty you can knock down most of the girls with a few smash punches. Also the latest girls barely fit the boxing theme given that they fight with actual metal weapons.

That feeling of being small against large women was always present in ExcessM's work since it's shota femdom, but it wasn't exaggerated to this degree and I personally don't like gigantic proportions as opposed to more realistic ones. I like big women, but big is one thing and gigantic is another. Since the protagonist is already small by definition, for me it makes no sense to exaggerate the proportions in women that are already mature and stronger than the short male.

Of course this being my preference doesn't mean my taste is absolute and Parade Buster or the early games are better for everyone, but I do have my reasons for not liking these huge proportions as much. There's a lot of visual clutter.
I like the proportions he went with but there are two girls that were WAY too big. If you've played it you will know exactly which two I am referring to. As for the comparison between Super Punch Boy and Excessm's other games, if the girls were the same size as in their other game than it wouldn't make as much sense for MC to struggle against them given how easily he can fight off hoards of women. Their larger size was meant to convey a sense of fear but given how easily most of them go down the gameplay undermines the scenario. Excessm mentioned in an early post about the game that he (Originally) wanted to make the girls get bigger the more angry they get in the ring.

Helblau

Mar 12, 2019
Excessm did a lot of things right but as much as I love Super Punch Boy, MC is WAY too powerful. I mean, if you play at the normal difficulty you can knock down most of the girls with a few smash punches. Also the latest girls barely fit the boxing theme given that they fight with actual metal weapons.

I like the proportions he went with but there are two girls that were WAY too big. If you've played it you will know exactly which two I am referring to. As for the comparison between Super Punch Boy and Excessm's other games, if the girls were the same size as in their other game than it wouldn't make as much sense for MC to struggle against them given how easily he can fight off hoards of women. Their larger size was meant to convey a sense of fear but given how easily most of them go down the gameplay undermines the scenario. Excessm mentioned in an early post about the game that he (Originally) wanted to make the girls get bigger the more angry they get in the ring.
Yeah, I have an idea but honestly all of them are too big for me. However the reason MC can fight hordes of women in the early games is due to special weapons, without them you're going to have a hard time even in the original pixel art games that only allowed you to push and not punch (I totally didn't go through the level disarmed on purpose, no no).

The sense of excitement or fear that you get from being helpless is already there with the proportionate women in the early games and look it, they are still big. Those girls are not skinny by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe the school girls in the original One Shota are kind of skinny (?) but that's the only enemy type that ever appeared that was more normal, every other woman was athletic in some way. Thick volleyball girls, thick business women, acrobat girls. They just weren't literal behemoths.

I'm not trying to discredit ExcessM's new work, I'm always staying updated with their games regardless. But if I have to tell you which games I >keep< on my hard drive then it's One Syota, One Syota Kariyume, Parade Buster and Smash Boy.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Succubus Hunter

TheeSonus

Mar 30, 2020
So what does the [Unbreakable Spirit] do?

Does it increase the total damage per climax during a battle? Or does it increase the total damage based on the total amount of climax accumulated on a singular playthrough?
Good question!
...I don't actually know. I had always figured it was accumulated, but hell if I remember seeing any difference.

4.50 star(s) 13 Votes