Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Awesome job with the updating tool! Did you work on it or was it a premade one? Just wanted to point out that it could appear as an update successful result while failing due to not enough space so you may want to escape that error too. Just a heads up for everyone patcher require about 6 gigs of free space to work.
Thanks, that's the first time I hear of that error or that it required that much space.

I made the patcher myself. It is using Windows cmd.exe and Java's jar.exe to do the actual adding/overwriting of the files, just calling the proper commands. I figured that was the easier and faster way to do it, rather than coding it directly in java. The drawback is that I don't have any control of the process once started.

scarfer

Nov 4, 2017
GRasputin
In the initial meeting with Julia, in about half of what should be her name appearing in the text, 'null' appears instead.

Also, Is there another event possibility planned for Kyra, with regard to the Stay/Leave pattern? There's 27 possible combinations, so the possibility is there for other results...

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
GRasputin
In the initial meeting with Julia, in about half of what should be her name appearing in the text, 'null' appears instead.

Also, Is there another event possibility planned for Kyra, with regard to the Stay/Leave pattern? There's 27 possible combinations, so the possibility is there for other results...
Thanks. That bug is fixed in v0.8.02. I'm not sure why that bug wasn't causing null strings all over the game. Sometimes I don't understand how my own engine works. :D And there is not always time to get to the bottom of it.

Not that I have thought of.

Last edited:

divineking

Nov 29, 2019
I am stuck at 98% for Julia (100 for everyone else) with no green events left. I have a yellow event left and this is what pops up when I click it Untitled.png

Benn Swagger

Aug 26, 2016
Hello, I'm missing picture here & there. It's just black/blank screen, but dialog keep continue.

My last play is v0.5, many many months ago. A month ago, I'm upgrade to Win10 from Win7. In the past, I have no problem with this game, even when other's get % bug, I don't. Now revisit the game and continue from my old save (v0.5), then blank picture happen. I saw other report that there's green text warning when there's no picture, that's not my case. It's just black screen, but UI show just fine. The picture not there, just black. I also change monitor from 1366x720 (kaput) to 1928x1080. So please, I eager to know what problem I'm facing here and how to fix it. Are there some software I need to install, because I'm not yet install many software that I had when still in Win7, because Win10 installer pretty much auto install many basic support software. -thanks.

scarfer

Nov 4, 2017
Are they pictures or videos? I'm running a Win 10 and using that resolution, and occasionally videos won't display, or are slow to begin. Usually, if I close out the game and launch it again, they will show up the next time around. I don't know if it's a memory issue, if I am causing the problem by clicking continue to quickly, or if occasionally some kind of conflict arises when running the game and closing/restarting somehow resolves it.

I don't remember installing any video codexes or special software prior to playing this, so maybe try leaving it for a few minutes and see if the video starts, or try closing the game window and replaying the section from the nearest autosave and see if it plays then.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Benn Swagger

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Are they pictures or videos? I'm running a Win 10 and using that resolution, and occasionally videos won't display, or are slow to begin. Usually, if I close out the game and launch it again, they will show up the next time around. I don't know if it's a memory issue, if I am causing the problem by clicking continue to quickly, or if occasionally some kind of conflict arises when running the game and closing/restarting somehow resolves it.

I don't remember installing any video codexes or special software prior to playing this, so maybe try leaving it for a few minutes and see if the video starts, or try closing the game window and replaying the section from the nearest autosave and see if it plays then.
The current implementation of the mediaplayer (used for playing videos) doesn't work well when clicking continue too fast. Ideally, the videos should have time to start before clicking continue. Otherwise, sooner or later you risk ending up with slow or choppy playback. Quitting the game and restarting is the solution.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Benn Swagger

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
I am stuck at 98% for Julia (100 for everyone else) with no green events left. I have a yellow event left and this is what pops up when I click it View attachment 820989
This bug is caused by game speed being set to faster than normal. Will be fixed in v0.9. Meanwhile, anyone stuck with relationship 1 or 2 with Julia, can change the game speed to normal and then replay the red evening event until you raise her relationship to 3. Then play the new green morning event and you should end up with relationship 4 with 100% completed.

Frenchies

May 9, 2017
GRasputin: Nice game. Regarding your Java project itself, it would be better to create separate library.
For example:
- Project #1 : All medias from the begining to 8.0.2
- Project #2 : All medias concerning update from 8.0.2 until X.Y.Z
- Project #MAIN : Your code

That way, you don't have to upload 3Gb each time you want to patch your game.
How to proceed? Build your project #1 and #2 as archives. On build path of your project #MAIN, add archive from Project #1 and #2.

That way, you could patch with a 1 megabyte program :)

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
GRasputin: Nice game. Regarding your Java project itself, it would be better to create separate library.
For example:
- Project #1 : All medias from the begining to 8.0.2
- Project #2 : All medias concerning update from 8.0.2 until X.Y.Z
- Project #MAIN : Your code

That way, you don't have to upload 3Gb each time you want to patch your game.
How to proceed? Build your project #1 and #2 as archives. On build path of your project #MAIN, add archive from Project #1 and #2.

That way, you could patch with a 1 megabyte program :)
I'm not uploading 3 GB to patch the game. My patcher is 52,8 KB. Last patch was 500MB. That is 500MB content minus 52,8 KB. :)

scarfer

Nov 4, 2017
The current implementation of the mediaplayer (used for playing videos) doesn't work well when clicking continue too fast. Ideally, the videos should have time to start before clicking continue. Otherwise, sooner or later you risk ending up with slow or choppy playback. Quitting the game and restarting is the solution.
There have been times where it happens when I've clicked into the start of a scene, before any rapid clicking has taken place. At least once that was right after I started the game and loaded a save. The kitchen scenes with Jane seem the be the worst offenders for me. But, restarting the game generally works.

BTW, with this last version (post fix, full game download instead of patch), I've personally not seen as much of this as in earlier versions.

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
There have been times where it happens when I've clicked into the start of a scene, before any rapid clicking has taken place. At least once that was right after I started the game and loaded a save. The kitchen scenes with Jane seem the be the worst offenders for me. But, restarting the game generally works.

BTW, with this last version (post fix, full game download instead of patch), I've personally not seen as much of this as in earlier versions.
That kind of makes sense. The early scenes in the kitchen with the landlady have some of the largest video files in the game, in megabytes. I made a big reduction in size on the biggest ones for v0.8 without losing quality because I used way too high quality setting on them when I made them. These were the first videos I made so I didn't care about size.

Last edited:
Reactions: scarfer

Frenchies

May 9, 2017
I'm not uploading 3 GB to patch the game. My patcher is 52,8 KB. Last patch was 500MB. That is 500MB content minus 52,8 KB. :)
Sure, I've seen them, but required user to type some command that could cause some trouble if they're used of Console. Also, in term of disk usage you download the patch, you extract the archive, you extract the JAR, then you push the extracted content inside the main JAR. If you don't delete each time you got 500mb + 500mb + 500mb + 500mb of traffic.
The lesser I do, the better I am :D

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Sure, I've seen them, but required user to type some command that could cause some trouble if they're used of Console. Also, in term of disk usage you download the patch, you extract the archive, you extract the JAR, then you push the extracted content inside the main JAR. If you don't delete each time you got 500mb + 500mb + 500mb + 500mb of traffic.
The lesser I do, the better I am :D
The patcher is made for Windows and Windows users just run the bat file. No commands. And running the patcher this way deletes all temporary files. In the readme file I supply the commands used by the patcher in case someone not running Windows wants to patch it themselves.

NIKI87

Jun 3, 2017
I can't progress with Kyra, i am at the point when i use the pincher and at the end of the event it says i need to give her another pill, but i can't do that, there is no event for that.

4.30 star(s) 106 Votes