Patreon new fee

gunderson

Aug 17, 2016
As soon as I learned about this change, I immediately cancelled ALL my pledges. I encourage everybody who opposes the new direction Patreon has taken lately to do the same. The only way to stem the tide of this kind of bullshit is to clearly show that the changes Patreon has made are going to directly affect their bottom line. And creators, if you care about maintaining the level of funding you have been getting up until this point, I strongly recommend you tell Patreon exactly what you think about their new policy changes and how it has affected your income recently. This has to stop, or we need to move on and find another platform.

Side note: if Patreon walks back some of their changes, I'll be more than happy to resub. I like the projects I supported. I want them to continue. I appreciate the fact that we've had a lot of good shit in the last couple years thanks to people being able to get reliable funding for alternative projects. But Patreon needs to get some bad Goddamned press and the way to do that is take away their money and make it clear why it happened.

Bip

Donor
May 4, 2017
For my part, I am seriously considering canceling all my pledges ($50 divided into $5 and $10 tiers). Of course I do not have anything against the authors, but I'm seriously starting to get tired of Patreon's witch hunt in recent weeks and now that.

Well, Patreon is shit also because of other thing. I paid for December, cancel pledge on 08.12 and loose all benefits. They should last until 31.12 24:59. That is why I'll wait with cancellation.
It's the case. You will have access to the feeds until 31-12 if you cancel today ;)
The authors you support will no longer appear in the supporting list, but their messages and updates will be accessible to you. You can follow them after canceling your support for ease.

Reactions: Mwanted

Pyjak Slayer

Donor
Jun 5, 2017
Welp, I make a decent amount of exclusively $1 pledges. Guess I'm pulling them all down. Sorry to not be able to support my favorite creators, but if the money somehow starts drying up for said creators, Patreon will have to take the blame for their loss of revenue. And thus, going back to their old model. Granted, overall, I don't pledge that much. But if a decent amount of people with my mindset take it into action, this could really hurt Patreon, and hopefully it does.

Bip

Donor
May 4, 2017
For my part, I am seriously considering canceling all my pledges ($50 divided into $5 and $10 tiers). Of course I do not have anything against the authors, but I'm seriously starting to get tired of Patreon's witch hunt in recent weeks and now that.
It has not taken me long to decide ... I just canceled all my pledges, hoping that Patreon will change his mind.
I am really sorry for all the authors I supported and hope that a solution will be found quickly :confused:

Daniel xVxd

Nov 19, 2017
Welp, I make a decent amount of exclusively $1 pledges. Guess I'm pulling them all down. Sorry to not be able to support my favorite creators, but if the money somehow starts drying up for said creators, Patreon will have to take the blame for their loss of revenue. And thus, going back to their old model. Granted, overall, I don't pledge that much. But if a decent amount of people with my mindset take it into action, this could really hurt Patreon, and hopefully it does.
I have the same. I support multiple creators with small amount. Will communicate to Patreon my disdain about this change. And ask the creators for alternative ways of support. And very probably cancel my pledges by the end of the month. :-(

CobraPL

NTR PALADIN
Donor
Sep 3, 2016
- they added some clarifications. So, they changed one flawed system onto another. For me, as patron, nothing changes - I'll drop all 1$ pledges, 5$ for MuseX and 5$ for poorest (lowest $ from Patreon) NTR creator, it will be, in Jan 2018, veqvil
1$ was intended to be in touch with all creators I like. So, I have to rely on pirate sites like this one, to see how given creator is going.

Mwanted

Oct 1, 2017
I'm gonna be totally honest: I am one of those patrons who like to distribuite pledges over a lot of creators using low pledges (from 1 to 5 €)..if this is gonna go online I'm gonna delete ALL of them

OttO

Apr 11, 2017
Full post below
(Click it)
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Personally I feel its a good thing.
Sure we paid for the fees now - but the content creators get an more accurate share.
I don't mind paying a bit more as it is a - small effect per individual - but huge - when it comes to content creators!!
All in all - think this is only a positive step in the right direction.
With all due respect, but in my opinion you are trying to look naive. They were already taking 5% for operating costs+ arbitrary 7-15% of processing fees, now they are taking 5% for "operating costs"+ (2.9%+$0,35) to "help keep Patreon up and running" from a single transaction. In business it's never about those at the bottom of the chain and always about those at the top, even more so when you put together recent happenings at Patreon.

Reactions: virtuvoid

Mwanted

Oct 1, 2017
I have a question, though: can those hypocrite shits charge those fees without your consent when you are on a subscription based payment (hence fixed amount)? I don't think they can.

baka

Engaged Member
Modder
Oct 13, 2016
this is BS, if this is to make more stability for the creators, well, take % from that pledge instead of adding fees.
so, instead of taking 5% take 6-10% of whatever for every dollar.
this way, a 1$ patron will not be affected, as theres a huge amount of those and they are very important.

Reactions: Mwanted

3Bliksems

Sep 20, 2016
In theory, sure, the creator would get more.
In reality, massive cancellation at lower tiers and no one moves up to higher tiers, creators get nothing, patreon gets nothing, everyone loses.
I have a suspicion that is exactly what's going to happen.

You have a lot of people that support multiple guys on the lower tiers, or people that support one or two people on medium tiers and a couple on the lower tiers, but with this change a lot of creators will lose those lower tier supporters rather than have them migrating to higher tiers.

The proof will be in the pudding once you see the support levels for developers after this kicks in.

xןʞ

I trolled so N7 could soar.
Staff member
Donor
Jul 19, 2017
I have a suspicion that is exactly what's going to happen.

You have a lot of people that support multiple guys on the lower tiers, or people that support one or two people on medium tiers and a couple on the lower tiers, but with this change a lot of creators will lose those lower tier supporters rather than have them migrating to higher tiers.

The proof will be in the pudding once you see the support levels for developers after this kicks in.
Gizmondo put up an article earlier today talking about a bunch of (normal non adult!) creators discussing how they've lost quite a bit of pledges since this was announced.

All the devs I pledge too have lost pledges since last checked before this happened.

And really creators are actually getting fucked in the end much more than before.

Before, say someone donated $1, the dev would get between 90-95 cents on that dollar after the patreon fee, now basically the same pledge is going to be $1.38, and the dev will get $1, thus losing a larger percentage of what is actually taken out of the pledger's wallet on top of obviously losing pledges through no fault of his own due to Patreon's bullshit.

This is making the big money safe for work content creators actively revolt and actually could be the straw that breaks the camel's back for patreon.

Dasati

May 30, 2017
The cynical part of me wonders at the timing. Patreon claims they been working and consulting on this change for months yet its the first I've heard of it, and the general reaction seems to be one of surprise. Coincidentally it also comes a relatively short time after Patreon updated their guidelines and lost income from Adult content creators. Funny that.

DSSAlex

Aug 19, 2017
I think they're both defensive moves to attract capital investors to help them defend against Drip, which they probably knew was coming for a while. Interestingly their plans are transparently poorly thought out so in their attempts to defend against competition they've opened the flood gates and as soon as somebody opens a better Patreon they're fucked.

smnb

Sep 5, 2017
- they added some clarifications. So, they changed one flawed system onto another.
I was wondering what "processing fees" do they mean. Sure, something with payments, I get that. But I always had only one payment per month with all pledges combined. Add 0.35% to that, it won't make me happy, but not too mad either. But to every single pledge? That doesn't make any sense! Now with their explanation it does.

So instead of single payment at the beginning of month, there will be several payments spread all over the month, each for every single pledge. And each with its own extra fee. Oh yeah, it will be soooo much better...

Some of it makes sense. I'm sure that creators like to have money upfront system, but it in turn doesn't make patrons happy, when they pledge at the end of the month and get charged again just a few days later. The new system might fix that for someone (e.g. a patron who pledges to only few creators for short time), but it makes things worse for everyone else. If you're long time supported of many different creators on lower tiers, you can pay up to almost 40% more with zero benefit for anyone (assuming Patreon really spends the increase on payment fees). What a great solution.

jpsimon

Overachiever
Donor
Apr 3, 2017
I dropped all my pledges. You know what irritates me more than what Patron is doing? It's that I now feel like an asshole. I feel like a greedy douchebag for pulling my support from developers that need and/or deserve it. It really pisses me off that Patron has cornered me into a position where I had no choice except to insult the creators I admire most so I can speak out against Patron.

I only hope the creators understand that we are on their side and we are not abandoning them.

Reactions: baka

CobraPL

NTR PALADIN
Donor
Sep 3, 2016
I dropped all my pledges. You know what irritates me more than what Patron is doing? It's that I now feel like an asshole. I feel like a greedy douchebag for pulling my support from developers that need and/or deserve it. It really pisses me off that Patron has cornered me into a position where I had no choice except to insult the creators I admire most so I can speak out against Patron.

I only hope the creators understand that we are on their side and we are not abandoning them.
Well, I choose middle solution. Pay few persons more money, but pay less than before changes to show Patreon they are assholes.

dunhill

May 3, 2017
so they're now charging more fees?? this would take around 30% on avg of the creators money.... at this point any other online crowdfunding platform is looking better.... heck even if each individual adult game dev had to setup their own website and accept tips through a payment method they would still come out cheaper and better.... is Patreon owned by EA or something???!!!

Reactions: Jeancul

Mwanted

Oct 1, 2017
Yeah..and from the video I realize there is another incredibly negative aspect about this: the new creators usually are able to make their fist steps thanks to the small pledges (because of course their project is in its infancy and people aren't generally willing to invest a lot)...with these fees the new entries that abandon their project are going to be far more