Tool Pixel Game Maker MV extractor

xj47

Nov 4, 2017
Hey,

I made a tool to decrypt files from the Pixel Game Maker MV engine (not to be confused with RPG Maker MV).
PGM games are characterized by a main executable called "player.exe" and a file "Resources/data/project.json"
PGM encrypted files start with the ascii string "enc" (65 6E 63)

To use the tool run the target game, wait for it to boot to the main menu, then run extract.bat
A subfolder called "extracted" will be created in the target-game folder with the decrypted files placed inside

I've confirmed it works for RJ340338

Let me know if you encounter any issues
(but please read the readme.txt troubleshooting section first)

Code:
Changelog:
    2022-01-21    Initial Release
    2022-01-22    Fixed issue that caused tool to be dependant on an exact dll build version
    2022-05-06    (v2.1) Minor change to GenericInjector.exe to make it more reliable
Edit: F95 has decided to mark the download as a virus. It's not but you would expect me to say that regardless. Main argument I can make is that I've posted multiple tools on this site by now and ruining my rep to infect a few people doesn't seem worth it.

Last edited:

Banality

Jun 16, 2021
Hey,

I made a tool to decrypt files from the Pixel Game Maker MV engine (not to be confused with RPG Maker MV).
PGM games are characterized by a main executable called "player.exe" and a file "Resources/data/project.json"
PGM encrypted files start with the ascii string "enc" (65 6E 63)

To use the tool run the target game, wait for it to boot to the main menu, then run extract.bat
A subfolder called "extracted" will be created in the target-game folder with the decrypted files placed inside

I've confirmed it works for RJ340338

Let me know if you encounter any issues
(but please read the readme.txt troubleshooting section first)
very cool. Thank you. worked for this game

vergil3322

Sep 3, 2019
I've had a few people report that this step isn't working for them. I'll take another look at it
some that are not extracting is because you need to edit the name of the executable "player.exe" in some cases by the correct name.

xj47

Nov 4, 2017
Didn't work for me, game titles in japanese though, could that cause an issue?
It may. I've tried to account for non-ascii paths but it's difficult.
Try moving/renaming it so the path has only ascii/"normal" characters, preferably no spaces, and is somewhat short.
On windows there is a path-length limit which can cause problems since japanese games love their long ass titles.

Also to anyone else reading this, the DLL injection process sometimes fails. Not sure why. You may be able to fix this by using someone else's injection tool such as Neizvestnyy did, but do so at your own risk. I can't vouch for the trustworthiness of an external tool you use.

RT_Zinky

Dec 30, 2019
It may. I've tried to account for non-ascii paths but it's difficult.
Try moving/renaming it so the path has only ascii/"normal" characters, preferably no spaces, and is somewhat short.
On windows there is a path-length limit which can cause problems since japanese games love their long ass titles.

Also to anyone else reading this, the DLL injection process sometimes fails. Not sure why. You may be able to fix this by using someone else's injection tool such as Neizvestnyy did, but do so at your own risk. I can't vouch for the trustworthiness of an external tool you use.
I've never actually encountered this game maker before, so I'm completely unfamiliar with it, which resource file would I have to open to change the executables name?

xj47

Nov 4, 2017
I've never actually encountered this game maker before, so I'm completely unfamiliar with it, which resource file would I have to open to change the executables name?
Either rename the main game's exe to "player.exe" or open "extract.bat" in a text editor and change the part that says "player.exe" to whatever the actual name is.
So the new .bat contents might read:
Code:
"bin/GenericInjector.exe" "existingProcess" "bin/PGM_InjectDll.dll" "yourNameHere.exe" 
pause

RT_Zinky

Dec 30, 2019
Either rename the main game's exe to "player.exe" or open "extract.bat" in a text editor and change the part that says "player.exe" to whatever the actual name is.
So the new .bat contents might read:
Code:
"bin/GenericInjector.exe" "existingProcess" "bin/PGM_InjectDll.dll" "yourNameHere.exe"
pause
Problem is that the .exe IS called player.exe, the japanese title only appears when you actually play the game.
I even went and opened the info.json file which lists the japanese name for the title, and changed it to player, but it still came up as the japanese title when I ran the game.

xj47

Nov 4, 2017
Problem is that the .exe IS called player.exe, the japanese title only appears when you actually play the game.
I even went and opened the info.json file which lists the japanese name for the title, and changed it to player, but it still came up as the japanese title when I ran the game.
Ah. Sorry, didn't fully look at your original screenshot.
The exe name is all that matters, not what title the window gets, and the tool was able to find the game process it just failed on a later step.

Do you have a link to the game you are trying to extract from? I'll see if I encounter the same issue on my PC.

RT_Zinky

Dec 30, 2019
Ah. Sorry, didn't fully look at your original screenshot.
The exe name is all that matters, not what title the window gets, and the tool was able to find the game process it just failed on a later step.

Do you have a link to the game you are trying to extract from? I'll see if I encounter the same issue on my PC.
PM'd

xj47

Nov 4, 2017
Downloaded it and the extraction process works on my PC. Odd.
I'm pretty sure there's something about the DLL injection process I have setup that doesn't work for some computers but it's hard to debug when I can't reproduce the problem myself.

Some general questions:
- Are you using a 32bit or 64bit computer?
- What OS are you running?
- Do you have your system locale set to Japanese?
- Are you using an account that may be restricted in some ways? (Something like a school computer or parental controls lel)

RT_Zinky

Dec 30, 2019
Downloaded it and the extraction process works on my PC. Odd.
I'm pretty sure there's something about the DLL injection process I have setup that doesn't work for some computers but it's hard to debug when I can't reproduce the problem myself.

Some general questions:
- Are you using a 32bit or 64bit computer?
- What OS are you running?
- Do you have your system locale set to Japanese?
- Are you using an account that may be restricted in some ways? (Something like a school computer or parental controls lel)
64bit
Windows 7
No
No

megalol

Engaged Member
Modder
Game Compressor
Apr 3, 2017
Hi, thx for useful tool. Can u tell plz why ur tool can't decrypt (zero size after decryption, original file about 300Mb) project.json file from this game (all other files decrypted fine). Not that I really need to know whats inside but after decryption those file could be packed very good with 7-zip (about 100 times smaller) and it seems that fully decrypted game runs faster...

Reactions: MillenniumEarl

xj47

Nov 4, 2017
...why is this decrypt tool labeled virus? was one detected in it?
hmm
Seems to be a new F95 thing. Dang, that's a bad look.

These kinds of tools often trigger anti-virus because they use DLL injection to modify the game's behavior and make it dump its keys and/or files. It's virus-like behavior.

It doesn't have a virus in it, but you don't really have a reason to trust me on that. So idk. Download at your own risk.

(I've included the source code for some of my past tools but stopped doing that since it seems like no one looks at it anyway. And it's not like there's a guarantee that the .exe actually comes from the source code I include)

Reactions: bobbot