Please stop using MEGA.NZ to upload your stuff

xXAltaiirXx

Jun 6, 2018
Some people have been scammed via MEGA.NZ and some others can't open it because it is using HSTS protocols .
So please don't use it to upload your content on it ... There are plenty of other alternatives out there.

xXAltaiirXx

Jun 6, 2018
Avaron1974 I always get this error when going on mega ... Most of the walkthroughs I can consult because of it ...

Twistty

The Happy Beaver
Donor
Respected User
Former Staff
Sep 9, 2016
Some people have been scammed via MEGA.NZ and some others can't open it because it is using HSTS protocols .
So please don't use it to upload your content on it ... There are plenty of other alternatives out there.
Google decided to disallow publisher signatures on Chrome extensions and is now relying solely on signing them automatically after upload to the Chrome webstore.
MEGA.nz also showed its dissatisfaction with Google's Chrome Web Store security measures, which, they believe, helped attackers pull off the extension hijack.
- Partly Googles fault! (As per your article link)

Mega does NOT need an extension to work - why use one?

Best practice in my experience is to get yourself a VPN and use
Mega.nz works well for may people - myself included!

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
Old news they have fixed that problem last year when they been notified about it

if they found doing that on purpose they would of been forced to shut down and charged with fraud

here is more info on that

Mega blog:

Sphere42

Sep 9, 2018
So, even IF what you are saying were true, what alternatives do you propose especially for games larger than 1-2GB?

Maybe everyone else just has backroom sponsorship deals out the wazoo but the other sites I've had the displeasure of downloading from tend to enforce ridiculous bandwidth limits and lockout times to pressure you into paid subscriptions. And the older ones don't even allow uploads above 1GB or block free downloads of those files causing a flood of multi-part archives which people inevitably fail to unpack properly.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
You understood that this isn't made by mega itself, but that their extension was corrupted, right ?
It's not a good sign regarding the security of their service, but it's neither the proof of a malicious intent coming from them.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017

MEGA.nz Chrome extension caught stealing passwords, cryptocurrency private keys

Hackers Replace MEGA Chrome Extension with Trojanized Version

DarkWolf2055

"Acknowledge Me"
Donor
Respected User
Former Staff
Aug 3, 2017

damn hackers :cautious:

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017

All three of those articles are over a year old.

Mega noticed the hack and fixed it with a new version within four hours.

Anyone still using the extension will have been automatically updated.

There is no reason to use the extension, JDownloader works much better.