Please stop using MEGA.NZ to upload your stuff

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Thanks.
It's effectively Chrome that can't validate the certificates for Mega.nz ; not that I didn't believe you, but error messages can be tricky sometimes.

Well it happens whenever you go to MEGA.NZ however that is done [...]
Even with the IP address same thing !
Taking count of your other answers, it's probably not Chrome that use the wrong data to validate the certificates, which let mega.nz that send wrong certificates :/

Did it also happen with another browser than Chrome ? (sorry, you'll have to use IE for once)

And, I really don't expect much of this one, what happen if you do a traceroute to one of their cluster ? Open the (link in french), then type "tracert 31.216.148.10". Is the last IP address effectively 31.216.148.10 ?

What bothers me is the fact that most of the MODS / Patches / Walkthroughs are exclusively on MEGA and I can't fricking access 'em :'(
For this you can use megasync.
By the way, it's not a bad idea to see if it at least can works. Obviously you can't download it from mega, but ask to google, there's a lot of legit alternates place to find it.

neekleer

Aug 28, 2019
I don't think mega is going away in the short term. Someone suggested jdownloader. I don't know if that avoids problems for some of the people that can't download at all, but there's also this tool for linux: and this for crossplatform:

xXAltaiirXx I think you need to change your DNS. Look up how to change to a public DNS like cloudflare. The authorities in your country may have hijacked the mega.nz domain. Although in chrome you can ignore invalid certs and proceed to the site to see where you are being redirected, I wouldn't recommend you do that in this case since it's not going to be the real mega site at all if I am correct.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greasy Handcock

おい!

Engaged Member
Mar 25, 2018
So many of you started insulting me and throwing judgment out of nowhere ... What I wanted to say is that I can't access many walkthroughs and download links because I can't access MEGA.NZ ... Whenever I click on it, it tells me that the links aren't secure and that my network isn't private ... and when I did research on internet I found that article ...
Bottomline talks, I just wanted the developpers to post different alternatives and not rely only on MEGA ... Nopy works perfectly for me and so far the best with 0 problems encountered ...
And thanks for your insults anyways (y) that proves how judgmental & narrow minded people can be (y)
I just looked through the previous posts and I do not see anyone attacking you, I see the vast majority including me having no problems with MEGA. If you are having problems with MEGA change your browser, it is as simple as that and far less time consuming than expecting everyone else to cater to your need IMO.

BTW this it not an attack, just common sense.

Reactions: Greasy Handcock

nobrumski

Donor
May 27, 2019
Best practice in my experience is to get yourself a VPN and use
Mega.nz works well for may people - myself included!
Might be worth looking into also.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
xXAltaiirXx I think you need to change your DNS.
It would change nothing, he still have the problem while accessing the site directly by it's IP address.

The authorities in your country may have hijacked the mega.nz domain.
Don't know in what country he live (just have a guess), but this kind of censorship is way too difficult to deploy, to be used as a toy. Therefore, either he live in a totalitarian country, and the most used alternatives would be also filtered, or he don't live in a totalitarian country, and no one will bother to filter a site like mega.nz.
Anyway, changing the DNS wouldn't solve the problem, unless he address it through a VPN.

Silver

Regular
Donor
Aug 5, 2016
I don't use mega anyway because it downloads to somewhere, then asks you to save the file. I had experienced sometimes the file stops downloading while it's being downloaded, then I have to redownload it again, which I don't have to do with other file hosting websites because I use IDM which captures links, and resumes from where it's stopped. I think NOPY is best.

Gunizz

Aug 9, 2017
The problem I have with MEGA is that downloads the file without asking where to download it. So it gets on the main HD C: that is an SSD, therefore it has a limited cycle of R&W. I want to decide where to download a file when the browser starts downloading it, not after the download is completed. That's totally unacceptable for me.

Hones

Forum Fanatic
Compressor
Aug 10, 2018
The problem I have with MEGA is that downloads the file without asking where to download it. So it gets on the main HD C: that is an SSD, therefore it has a limited cycle of R&W. I want to decide where to download a file when the browser starts downloading it, not after the download is completed. That's totally unacceptable for me.
Mega downloads to your browsers default download location, if you just change that to the location you want mega will download the files to there instead of your C drive, if you are using chrome there is a toggle that you can use so you are asked where to save for each download.
dwn.png

Reactions: scrumbles

Gunizz

Aug 9, 2017
Mega downloads to your browsers default download location, if you just change that to the location you want mega will download the files to there instead of your C drive, if you are using chrome there is a toggle that you can use so you are asked where to save for each download.
View attachment 400763
Are you sure? Do you know how MEGA and works? The file is encrypted and it's temporarily stored in a system folder accessible to the browser. Only when the download is completed the browser asks you where to save the file, or saves it to your default location. That's the issue here. It's not like any other download site.

Hones

Forum Fanatic
Compressor
Aug 10, 2018
Are you sure? Do you know how MEGA and works? The file is encrypted and it's temporarily stored in a system folder accessible to the browser. Only when the download is completed the browser asks you where to save the file, or saves it to your default location. That's the issue here. It's not like any other download site.
Yes I know how mega works I guess I misunderstood your issue I clearly thought you wanted to choose where mega downloads the file to not the temp file.

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
I don't know where this folder is, but what if you replaced it with a symbolic link pointing to another drive?
If you used this trick with any folder storing temp files (C:\Windows\temp, the browser cache, AppData\Local\Temp and so on), I guess you would increase the lifespan of your SSD drive.

Silver

Regular
Donor
Aug 5, 2016
I don't think nowadays you have to worry about cycle of R&W. I use my SSD heavily, but still it's 5TB TBW, which is far away from the guaranteed TBW (4800 TBW). besides it has 5 years warranty.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
it's belgium :'(
There's really few filtering. Mostly well knew pirate sites (Pirate Bay and torrent indexer), blocked by court order, and gambling sites, blocked by Law. But the filtering is done by redirecting to the . It's what the Law say, so even if mega.nz was added to the blocked list, you should know it ; I really assume that the guys behind the process know their job enough to force a return to a none SSL connection, and so redirect you to the said StopPage. Anyway, it's a done with DNS redirection, so you shouldn't have encountered problems when addressing the site directly by its IP address.
There's reported cases of Belgian ISP doing some filtering on their own, but even if they don't redirect to the StopPage (since it's not a court order), you should have been able to access the site by its IP address. I mean, they were forced to deploy tools to conform with the Law, why bother messing with their routing tables to add their own filtering ? But it worth trying a VPN, like I'm not someone that can be pinged said, just in case they effectively did it.

All this said, searching more about your problem, I found (link in French). Apparently at least one anti-virus was know to mess with the couple Chrome/mega.nz, leading to the problem you encounter. It's perhaps also the case for you.[/user]

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
I'm not an expert when it comes to VPNs ... what do you recommend me plz !
Tunnelbear is probably the easiest to use but it has a low free usage limit.
Windscribe VPN has a bigger usage limit, but I've never used it so I couldn't say how easy it is to use.
I can't see any of them being overly difficult to use.

Reactions: xXAltaiirXx