Poll, how do you usually name the protagonist?

How do you usually name your protagonist?

• Total voters

Winterfalls

Apr 13, 2022
I mainly use default, but there are times where I just feel like using something else. The few times I do, I've gone with a common name or some edgy name. Can't help but use dumb edgy names for some faceless hentai Protags.

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
I have a particular first and last name that I nearly always use when given the opportunity. The first name is Wendel, at the time mis-remembered the name Grendel from Beowulf. It's been so long (20+ years) I don't know why Grendel came to mind in the first place. The last name I stole from a minor character in a fantasy series I love. It's become a gaming alter ego of sorts I guess, and I've never shared the whole name with anyone. But I've become so attached to it that I used it as the basis for the name of my character in the one D&D campaign I played.

Morte Dara

Realm of Dominance
Game Developer
Jul 23, 2019
Finding names is always a tough task and I used to hate it. But now I imagine a person and call him a name and if it sounds right I use it. For example, the maing protagonist's name is Destor in my game. I probably heard this name from somewhere that I don't remember.

Also, I use websites that gives name lists for a theme. It helps a lot.

CalicoBROOJ

Oct 6, 2021
My go-to name is always Billy Cumstacker.
Rarely, I may change it. In Being a Dick, I remember some dude asking "What's your name fuckface?", So I decided Fuckface shall be my name.

Once it was Batman, can't remember why. But Yeah I like when the characters call me Mr. Cumstacker. Makes me belly tickle.

Reactions: Meaning Less
May 31, 2023
Always found it somewhat weird to use my own name while playing these games or any game for that matter. Mostly use other names I like or fitting for RP reasons.

Glitterspunk

Jul 28, 2021
I usually go for something that translates to "horny bear" (sounds nice in my native language). But recently I have seen Superbad so might change my default to McLovin

TheDarkWyrm

Mar 25, 2020
I use my online handle; I voted "my real name" in the poll because I answer to that more readily than I do to the name on my birth certificate these days. Also, I want to share screenshots with online friends who don't necessarily know my real name.

Kamishirov

Sep 22, 2023
A random name that pops into my head, for example, I was playing a game where I was royalty so I went with Ralph.

Oct 13, 2023
Mostly choose random names that come to mind when I play said game. But occasionally the default name if I like it. I never use my own name, it just doesn't feel right to me.

For me, games, in general, give me the opportunity to escape from reality. I don't like to see my name appear on the screen, it breaks the immersion for me. Might sound weird to some, but it does that for me.

Mar 21, 2023
Since the very beginning of my adult game/VN exploration (which, for me, was Melody), I've used one variation or another of the same general name theme. I didn't actually come up with it myself, but a particular friend of mine once had a dream in which I had this particular moniker. She'd told me about it, and it first became the name of the main character for my erotica book. In this book alone, there are different variations of this general name (as the story deals with the multiverse).

I really prefer to use one form or another of this name when playing these games, because it helps me self-insert better. Sometimes, however, you have no choice but to play as the default name, in which case I tend to feel a little strange to be referred to as something that I haven't grown comfortable with. But I take it in stride and try to enjoy the game as much as possible.

ViperGts151

You don’t like me? Fine. Don’t waste my time then.
Donor
Jan 15, 2018
it depends on the type of game I'm playing if its a game with male mc i use my real first and last name when possible if its a female mc them i use the female equivalent of my name and if I'm playing a game with ntr or on a ntr route i use a different name completely most of the time a random name of top of my head.

erisonkel

Jul 11, 2020
A mix of the options. If MC is female, I usually go with my name, or one of a few other names I use for my characters. If male, then I stick with default, unless it's cringe, then I fall back on a go-to I have. Can't think of a single time I've seen a game with a nameable nb protagonist, so dunno what I'd do then. Probably pick one of the alternatives above, or come up with a new one for nb MCs.

eerengrengt

Aug 23, 2022
if there's default names i will choose that (except for when the name is close to someone i know irl because that'd be weird)

but if there's none then i just name my character "Fart" and call it a, day

letsgethappy

Dec 7, 2023
I never change the default name. I don´t even like the option to choose.

But if i´m forced to choose it is Dicky and Chloe.

Reactions: qwsaq

qwsaq

Feb 2, 2020
I never change the default name. I don´t even like the option to choose.

But if i´m forced to choose it is Dicky and Chloe.
Same. It bothers me when devs don't provide a default. It opens up the opportunity for duplicate names which can get confusing.