POLL: Playing the Villain?

How would you feel playing as a villain?

• Sounds Cool!

Votes: 266 92.0%
  • Hate It!

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • Don't Care...

Votes: 16 5.5%

• Total voters

Hamlet

Jan 21, 2018
Yeah, but I don’t want it to be vouyeristic. I’d rather avoid as best I can people bitching about it being NTR or cuckholding.
Like I said, it's up to you. I'm just trying to figure out how your idea will play out in that regard. So you won't be having the characters do stuff to each other; they will be doing it with the MC? E.g., spinster librarian won't suddenly fuck a nerdy student behind in the archive section, she'll be fucking the MC in some other scenario?

Hamlet

Jan 21, 2018
I’m diverting a little from the main topic, but what do you guys think of this guy as the MC? Something about his face bothers me, I just can’t put my finger on what exactly.
View attachment 179683
He looks okay to me. But it depends on who he is and what his role is. That said, I do like my vampires with a hint of suavity - an echo of the Bela Lugosi archetype.

Conviction07

Game Developer
May 6, 2017
The scars are skin colored and don't look quite right to me. They usually are a translucent white color when fully healed.

But evil protagonist who is vampire? I'm interested. It's been a long time since I played Evil INC and I really enjoyed it. Maybe a vampire version of Evil Inc??
You're probably right about the scars. I just liked them because I thought it added character. I haven't played Evil INC, but after reading some people's suggestions, I don't think I'll make him out and out evil. I'll try to find a balance between being bad and also sympathetic.

muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
Like neutral evil kinda guy?
Not fully evil and not fully good but tends to be evil to get what he wants?

shadowsynn

Nov 11, 2018
Ok, read through the thread and realized I may have been a bit over the top here. lol.

A good antagonist would make your game miles and away better than most games I've played in which you play a villain or bad person. And since you're shying away from a point system, that gives you a lot more freedom to make things interesting.

I have to say this has me intrigued quite a bit and I will follow what you put forth closely. I'm not really a fan of doing evil for the sake of evil so some sort of reason for what he does could make for a compelling story. A lot of the ideas already suggested make my suggestions seem rather moot, but as I tend to say, this just my two cents.

Reactions: Conviction07

Conviction07

Game Developer
May 6, 2017
Like neutral evil kinda guy?
Not fully evil and not fully good but tends to be evil to get what he wants?
Basically, yeah. But if I can (or more accurately a programer I find), I'll create some isolated scenarios where you'll have the option to go full evil.

Conviction07

Game Developer
May 6, 2017
Ok, read through the thread and realized I may have been a bit over the top here. lol.

A good antagonist would make your game miles and away better than most games I've played in which you play a villain or bad person. And since you're shying away from a point system, that gives you a lot more freedom to make things interesting.

I have to say this has me intrigued quite a bit and I will follow what you put forth closely. I'm not really a fan of doing evil for the sake of evil so some sort of reason for what he does could make for a compelling story. A lot of the ideas already suggested make my suggestions seem rather moot, but as I tend to say, this just my two cents.
No worries, I enjoy hearing all ideas. And your enthusiasm only gives me more motivation :)

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
Is the MC a vampire from the start? Or is he turned into one in the prologue and slowly loses his sanity and morals? Whats his motivation to turn the town into a nest of depravity?

As far as general gameplay goes, I think you are focusing on the sandbox elements with lots of background characters to make the town feel alive. It sounds really ambitious. Sandbox games around here generally features a set of characters that behave like robots that cannot deviate from their daily routines, locations that do nothing most of the time, same exact conversations every single time, etc etc. Well, there are games that comes close at least, so I wish you the best.

I hate to be that guy, but I will there be incest? :p
Corruption/domination focused games with incest are so juicy.

Conviction07

Game Developer
May 6, 2017
Is the MC a vampire from the start? Or is he turned into one in the prologue and slowly loses his sanity and morals? Whats his motivation to turn the town into a nest of depravity?

As far as general gameplay goes, I think you are focusing on the sandbox elements with lots of background characters to make the town feel alive. It sounds really ambitious. Sandbox games around here generally features a set of characters that behave like robots that cannot deviate from their daily routines, locations that do nothing most of the time, same exact conversations every single time, etc etc. Well, there are games that comes close at least, so I wish you the best.

I hate to be that guy, but I will there be incest? :p
Corruption/domination focused games with incest are so juicy.
Yes, he's a vampire from the start. I don't wanna give away the finer details of the plot (and a lot of it I'm still figuring out), but he comes into the town critically wounded after an encounter with his vampire clan who have been hunting him ever since he committed an unforgivable crime. Tired of running, he decides to turn the town into his own fortress, with the townspeople ready to fight for him when the clan inevitably track him down again.

Since he'll have the ability of body possession, yes there will be incest worked into the plot. Albeit a little different than what people are probably used to.

Reactions: desmosome

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
Just me being nitpicky, I dislike the idea of a main girl on principle. Or a main anything for that matter (except the main character of course!).

Conviction07

Game Developer
May 6, 2017
Just me being nitpicky, I dislike the idea of a main girl on principle. Or a main anything for that matter (except the main character of course!).
Is that because you don't wanna be forced into having a romantic relationship with someone you might not be into? Because by main girl, I mean it more in the main supporting character sense.

Turkis

Jul 17, 2017
I'd like to chime in. I LOVE the idea of playing as the villain. Some of my favorite games are the games where you are the villain! Dungeon Keeper, Overlord, Dungeons, GTA (all the MC's are villains who kill, steal and blackmail, they just aren't as bad as the antagonists), etc. etc.. It's just all in how the story plays out. Frankly though, I think you need another reason for the MC to turn the town into his personal fortress other than it's the first place he stumbled in. If I was in his shoes, I would book it ASAP because it's the closest town to where I got into a fight with my old clan, and thus the most obvious place for them to search, making my confrontation with them happening well before I could even turn a quarter of the town.

I'm guessing you'll have the finale of the game involving the confrontation between the MC's forces and his old clan?

Now, I have to ask, is there going to be magic in the game? In many vampire stories, they aren't "magical" beings, but more along the lines humans infected with a virus that gave them what we could consider having super powers like super strength. So is your story going to have vampires being turned like in Elder Scrolls via like a virus that they can be infected with? Or is it going to be more of a "magical" kind of thing.

Also I don't understand why you have to "kill" off characters to feed on later on in the game. I can see it after he stumbles into the town after suffering a lot of injuries in his fight, and needing to recover his strength ASAP. But later on in the game I don't see the need, as a vampire's power generally doesn't come from how much blood he's sucked, but more along the lines of their cunningness and ingenuity.

Is that because you don't wanna be forced into having a romantic relationship with someone you might not be into? Because by main girl, I mean it more in the main supporting character sense.
Well, I think the problem having her as the "main girl" is the way you've described her (or at the very least how I view her based on what has been said so far, which isn't much to be honest). She's a vulnerable person you take advantage of and manipulate to get her to betray everyone she knows and loves. While she makes a great starting girl to help you take over the town at the start, a girl like that is also the one you have to keep an eye on because she could just as easily be manipulated into betraying you by your enemies. A "main girl" should either be someone who is unquestionably loyal to the MC, or someone who the MC sees as his equal. And a vulnerable person you take advantage of and manipulate, isn't exactly someone you see as being loyal or an equal, just someone you use. I know you said you want to make a 'toned down Harley Quinn", but there have been countless characters like Harley Quinn that were made before and after her creation that never worked. Plus, Harley Quinn is also one of the Joker's biggest weakness in his plans, her actions, or inaction in some cases, has been his downfall. And if the Joker was fighting an opponent who would have killed him instead of Batman, she would've been the death of him long ago.

If I have to say, instead of making her a "vulnerable" person who you manipulate into helping you, make her an "outcast", someone who was once apart of society who has since been ostracized by the town for something that wasn't her fault. Someone who feels like everyone she knows, everyone she loved and cared for, has turned their back to her and betrayed her. Someone who was so royally screwed over by them, she would have no issue seeing the town burn.

Last edited:

Conviction07

Game Developer
May 6, 2017
I'd like to chime in. I LOVE the idea of playing as the villain. Some of my favorite games are the games where you are the villain! Dungeon Keeper, Overlord, Dungeons, GTA (all the MC's are villains who kill, steal and blackmail, they just aren't as bad as the antagonists), etc. etc.. It's just all in how the story plays out. Frankly though, I think you need another reason for the MC to turn the town into his personal fortress other than it's the first place he stumbled in. If I was in his shoes, I would book it ASAP because it's the closest town to where I got into a fight with my old clan, and thus the most obvious place for them to search, making my confrontation with them happening well before I could even turn a quarter of the town.

I'm guessing you'll have the finale of the game involving the confrontation between the MC's forces and his old clan?

Now, I have to ask, is there going to be magic in the game? In many vampire stories, they aren't "magical" beings, but more along the lines humans infected with a virus that gave them what we could consider having super powers like super strength. So is your story going to have vampires being turned like in Elder Scrolls via like a virus that they can be infected with? Or is it going to be more of a "magical" kind of thing.

Also I don't understand why you have to "kill" off characters to feed on later on in the game. I can see it after he stumbles into the town after suffering a lot of injuries in his fight, and needing to recover his strength ASAP. But later on in the game I don't see the need, as a vampire's power generally doesn't come from how much blood he's sucked, but more along the lines of their cunningness and ingenuity.

Well, I think the problem having her as the "main girl" is the way you've described her (or at the very least how I view her based on what has been said so far, which isn't much to be honest). She's a vulnerable person you take advantage of and manipulate to get her to betray everyone she knows and loves. While she makes a great starting girl to help you take over the town at the start, a girl like that is also the one you have to keep an eye on because she could just as easily be manipulated into betraying you by your enemies. A "main girl" should either be someone who is unquestionably loyal to the MC, or someone who the MC sees as his equal. And a vulnerable person you take advantage of and manipulate, isn't exactly someone you see as being loyal or an equal, just someone you use. I know you said you want to make a 'toned down Harley Quinn", but there have been countless characters like Harley Quinn that were made before and after her creation that never worked. Plus, Harley Quinn is also one of the Joker's biggest weakness in his plans, her actions, or inaction in some cases, has been his downfall. And if the Joker was fighting an opponent who would have killed him instead of Batman, she would've been the death of him long ago.

If I have to say, instead of making her a "vulnerable" person who you manipulate into helping you, make her an "outcast", someone who was once apart of society who has since been ostracized by the town for something that wasn't her fault. Someone who feels like everyone she knows, everyone she loved and cared for, has turned their back to her and betrayed her. Someone who was so royally screwed over by them, she would have no issue seeing the town burn.
I have a reason why the clan doesn't search for him in that town, I just don't wanna give everything away just yet. Just know it's something I'm working out. They'll be more the typical ancient being type vampires that we know rather than the virus infected type. I chose that type because I want the vampires to have a superiority complex so they look down on humans. But either way, I'm not going to get too bogged down in vampire mythology. I still want to keep the story pretty human and relatable. Also, like most vampires are known to do, he has to drink blood to survive as well as satiate his bloodlust. And with the main girl character, he's hunting for two.

Speaking of the main girl, she'll be one of if not the only character than he's completely transparent with. So their relationship won't be based on any kind of manipulation or deception. Their relationship will be a mutually beneficial one. He'll guide her on her journey as she learns to survive being a vampire, while she'll provide him inside knowledge on the townspeople, as well as provide him a cover story against some of the more suspicious citizens. As for the Harley Quinn comparison I made earlier, i won't be going in that direction anymore so you don't need to have any concerns regarding that.

Turkis

Jul 17, 2017
I have a reason why the clan doesn't search for him in that town, I just don't wanna give everything away just yet. Just know it's something I'm working out. They'll be more the typical ancient being type vampires that we know rather than the virus infected type. I chose that type because I want the vampires to have a superiority complex so they look down on humans. But either way, I'm not going to get too bogged down in vampire mythology. I still want to keep the story pretty human and relatable. Also, like most vampires are known to do, he has to drink blood to survive as well as satiate his bloodlust. And with the main girl character, he's hunting for two.

Speaking of the main girl, she'll be one of if not the only character than he's completely transparent with. So their relationship won't be based on any kind of manipulation or deception. Their relationship will be a mutually beneficial one. He'll guide her on her journey as she learns to survive being a vampire, while she'll provide him inside knowledge on the townspeople, as well as provide him a cover story against some of the more suspicious citizens. As for the Harley Quinn comparison I made earlier, i won't be going in that direction anymore so you don't need to have any concerns regarding that.
So I won't pry into why the clan won't search for him in that town. But what exactly is your views of "typical ancient being type vampires"? Are we talking about the original lore of vampires coming from our superstitious ancestors? Or the modern lore that has become predominant in the last 50 to 100 years? Can they walk in the sunlight?

So basically, he'll turn the main girl shortly after meeting her? Depending on how you're writing the story, it can work. Though I think if she's working with him willingly, it would make more sense for the MC to turn her later on in the story after he's taken control of enough of the town he no longer needs her as a front for his cover story, especially if the vampires in your story basically need to drain a person until they die to sate their hunger. But again, I don't know your story, and I'm just going off my opinion and how I'd structure the story.

As for Harley Quinn, I love her! Though not a fan of her and Joker in Suicide Squad.

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
Pretty much, I'm really hate being forced into choices, especially taste choices.

FFTW

Jun 7, 2017
love the idea! i think i would rather him be out and out evil though. if you are gonna do it go all the way :)
any updates btw?

freedom.call

Donor
Mar 8, 2018
Hey everyone. Lately I've been thinking about an idea I've had for a new game I'd like to start developing, and was curious how you guys would feel playing as a completely wicked character?
That would be awesome. I'm tired of not getting laid. :D

You play as a vampire (this might sound lame to you)
Why lame to me, what have you heard?

who comes to a small, seemingly picturesque town, and your goal is to essentially corrupt the townspeople. It sounds simple, and I know a lot of devs do the whole corruption thing, but I wanna do the corruption route on steroids. For instance, by the time we get to the end of the game, I want the town to be reduced to a state of absolute bedlam. Friendships ended, families and marriages torn apart, fear, paranoia, and maybe even a small dose of murder. The main character will achieve all this through seduction, manipulation, and possession (I think this will allow for a lot of interesting incest scenarios). Think of the game as a mixture between Salem's Lot and The Witches of Eastwick.
You had me at bedlam. :cool: I just wanted to say that, you actually had me at absolute. :D

So is this something you'd be interested in? Are there any concerns you have?
No concerns, you got this. Just hoping it would be a renpy game. :)