Popular Games

american

Apr 24, 2017
I agree with the decision, I only fear that the Featured Games list will become just what the Popular Games subforum was. A list of games that the staff decides is good/popular that doesn't get updated nearly enough and basically communicates to users that they shouldn't bother with anything that's not in there, because it's not "popular." The Featured games list hasn't been updated in over three months.

Also what is the "Trending Games" list and why are there two year old abandoned games like Big Brother and Teacher's Pet on it? So basically you are keeping all the worst aspects of the Popular Games section but just deleting the subforums? I don't get it.
That is it in nutshell change one problem for another i see it come the same way first I will said half will maybe work good until first of many Devs quit or leave or mods how like to call them ffor what ever reason like how it happen with popular thraed and no ones said why should i care I did start it and here we go again

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
I agree with the decision, I only fear that the Featured Games list will become just what the Popular Games subforum was. A list of games that the staff decides is good/popular that doesn't get updated nearly enough and basically communicates to users that they shouldn't bother with anything that's not in there, because it's not "popular." The Featured games list hasn't been updated in over three months.

Also what is the "Trending Games" list and why are there two year old abandoned games like Big Brother and Teacher's Pet on it? So basically you are keeping all the worst aspects of the Popular Games section but just deleting the subforums? I don't get it.
The featured games list is for up and coming games, rather than "popular" games. We'll be swapping out this list for a new batch in the next few weeks.

The trending list is automatic, based on a combination of factors such as likes, views per minute, replies per minute, etc.

Mrsubtle

May 8, 2018
Is there a way to keep track of interesting/good games. Per Month/Year or so? Aka Best new game not making sound like Yearly awards.

Creators to keep an eye on of their stuff.

Reactions: Nottravis

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
That is it in nutshell change one problem for another i see it come the same way
Absolutely not. The "popular game" section needed to create a sub section, then move the related thread to it. This while, depending of how it's made, the "featured game" list can be simply a text file stored somewhere in the server and totally changed with a single manipulation. Still depending of how it's made, it can probably even be fully automated if it was needed.
Even if @Sam have chose another way to do this, it's still less works than the one implied by the late "popular game" section.

Anyway, they are, at least from my point of view, two different things, and the "popular game" lost its meaning with the growing number of members. They were the threads with the more activity. This had a meaning when there where less than 100 000 members, and don't really have it now that we are more than 10 times this many. By example, remove the comments regarding Eric, and the thread for the overrated Big Brother lost half of its content.
In the same time, the "featured game" list is more a suggestion list. Some kind of, "globally speaking, the staff members and mods liked these games, perhaps that you should try them". It highlight games that you perhaps missed because they are few of the thousands of games available here.

So, in one hand we lost a, "you already know about these games, talk about them" section, and win a, "you probably don't know about these games" list. I don't see a problem here.

american

Apr 24, 2017
Absolutely not. The "popular game" section needed to create a sub section, then move the related thread to it. This while, depending of how it's made, the "featured game" list can be simply a text file stored somewhere in the server and totally changed with a single manipulation. Still depending of how it's made, it can probably even be fully automated if it was needed.
Even if @Sam have chose another way to do this, it's still less works than the one implied by the late "popular game" section.

Anyway, they are, at least from my point of view, two different things, and the "popular game" lost its meaning with the growing number of members. They were the threads with the more activity. This had a meaning when there where less than 100 000 members, and don't really have it now that we are more than 10 times this many. By example, remove the comments regarding Eric, and the thread for the overrated Big Brother lost half of its content.
In the same time, the "featured game" list is more a suggestion list. Some kind of, "globally speaking, the staff members and mods liked these games, perhaps that you should try them". It highlight games that you perhaps missed because they are few of the thousands of games available here.

So, in one hand we lost a, "you already know about these games, talk about them" section, and win a, "you probably don't know about these games" list. I don't see a problem here.
I see you point too but like with all POV and even my and I will my it all subject to change and will gladly said i am wrong witn my POV but have been here to long and see to much so hard to get in out of one mind ok. With that said agrre change is need will not disagree or fight this point but to keep it going that my point ok went people start leaving or quit and for the other it get to much and stress from all the viewer here will that all I am said ok

srksrk 68

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Sep 17, 2018
The main benefit of having sub forums is that all threads are easily found. There used to be a Summertime Saga forum, below which all discussions and mods were located. Best thing ever, now gone for good. How do I find a popular mod for a popular game now?

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
The main benefit of having sub forums is that all threads are easily found. There used to be a Summertime Saga forum, below which all discussions and mods were located. Best thing ever, now gone for good. How do I find a popular mod for a popular game now?
Important links are listed at the OP, you can watch threads and the search box doesn't bite.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017

I concur, but...

The old popular game thingy had become both a bit dead man's shoes and had lost its original point. It's not an unreasonable view that, with the threads still existing, the swap to a featured games list does bring more than its presence loses.

My only concern *hoists a vested interest flag* is, with so many v0.01s being churned out how does the team spot games of potential interest amongst the sea of dross?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not for one moment saying they should check every new game. The very thought has just made me reach for a smoke!

"Time to accidentally expose myself to that daz model I'm in-game related to, and have seen in the last fifteen games, again...."

No, I wouldn't wish that on anyone! So I can see the difficulties and understand the position.

But...from the opposite side of the table, I'm a tiny new dev with a game somewhat different to the usual run. I've five star reviews so long that they probs have a word count longer than some of aforementioned v0.01s and yet I can see how a game like mine could totally fall through the cracks.

Now, on one hand, so what? Life's like that, no? And no system is perfect of course. Indeed there's not even an obligation for the team to even peer at new games and they're certainly not accountable to me. But that's my only concern with the new feature.

How can they possibly manage to identify new games of interest effectively in the tide of new games? (and no, I'm not actually saying mine should be there I merely raise it as an example of one that could be easily overlooked - I'm sure there are others)

But regardless of that concern, I still think it adds more than we lose.

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
I concur, but...

The old popular game thingy had become both a bit dead man's shoes and had lost its original point. It's not an unreasonable view that, with the threads still existing, the swap to a featured games list does bring more than its presence loses.

My only concern *hoists a vested interest flag* is, with so many v0.01s being churned out how does the team spot games of potential interest amongst the sea of dross?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not for one moment saying they should check every new game. The very thought has just made me reach for a smoke!

"Time to accidentally expose myself to that daz model I'm in-game related to, and have seen in the last fifteen games, again...."

No, I wouldn't wish that on anyone! So I can see the difficulties and understand the position.

But...from the opposite side of the table, I'm a tiny new dev with a game somewhat different to the usual run. I've five star reviews so long that they probs have a word count longer than some of aforementioned v0.01s and yet I can see how a game like mine could totally fall through the cracks.

Now, on one hand, so what? Life's like that, no? And no system is perfect of course. Indeed there's not even an obligation for the team to even peer at new games and they're certainly not accountable to me. But that's my only concern with the new feature.

How can they possibly manage to identify new games of interest effectively in the tide of new games? (and no, I'm not actually saying mine should be there I merely raise it as an example of one that could be easily overlooked - I'm sure there are others)

The most viewed in the last 30 days is a good way to find new games that generated lots of buzz and that at the very least are worth checking to see what's going on. The new trending might do it too, time will tell how well it works.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
The most viewed in the last 30 days is a good way to find new games that generated lots of buzz and that at the very least are worth checking to see what's going on. The new trending might do it too, time will tell how well it works.
*nods nod nods*

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Among the many reasons, there's probably the fact that a first release is rarely enough to have an opinion. Your game ( , because he deserve some ads) is one of the really few exceptions.
How many games started with an one hour long initial release telling a good story, and after that had a bunch of rushed 5 minutes updates every now and then ? And there's also the opposite, games that really improve with the time.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not for one moment saying they should check every new game.
Anyway I think that it's more something like a blind pool. Every member of the staff, mods and uploaders (?) give something like 5 games that, for them, worth it, then the ones with the more votes are put in the featured list. So, even if only half of them have played the game, if it's a really good one there's chance that it appear on the front page.

But...from the opposite side of the table, I'm a tiny new dev with a game somewhat different to the usual run.
Don't worry, your time will come, I'm sure of that. I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one who generally wait for the second release before trying a game. You can't humanly play all the games, nor even test all the new ones. So, most us probably wait for few updates ; at least to have the possibility to see what the bravest of us have to say about the game.

Kind of words of mouth.
It's obvious that staff members, mods and uploaders don't read everything, but in the same time they read way more than us. They are taged for this or that, and like they are humans, they can't do otherwise than see more than the message where they are taged. When you pass part of your time doing this, unconsciously you start to know that when "this guy" say that a game worse it, you'll like it. You also start to feel, by the global ambiance of the thread, when a game is good or not. And when one or the other happen, you try the game.
To this add the fact that they aren't members like the other, more people talk to them, more people tell them that this game worse it, while they say it to more people.
It's just a guess, but it's based on the time I was mod, in another life and another part of the numerical world. And for me, it's the reason why the "featured games" list is as accurate as it's humanly possible. If a game really worth the try and isn't in the list, it's only because the list wasn't updated since the first release of the game.

Totally agree. There's more than 3.500 games, with around 30 new each month. It's clear that a sub section with less than 30 games wasn't anymore representative of what is effectively popular ; and also can't anymore be representative of this.
The forum needed new tools for this, and the staff is actually deploying them.

TCMS

Quote my posts if you want an answer
Donor
Former Staff
Aug 5, 2016
Although discussion is nice, this is site problems forum. I'd like to avoid needless chat, specially on opinions regarding updates to the site. Locking the thread for that reason.

Retro

Retired
Former Staff
Sep 7, 2017
Although discussion is nice, this is site problems forum. I'd like to avoid needless chat, specially on opinions regarding updates to the site. Locking the thread for that reason.
Go home Otter, you're drunk.

srksrk 68

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Sep 17, 2018
Important links are listed at the OP, you can watch threads and the search box doesn't bite.
Ooo-kay. Since we are allowed to post again...

Regarding Summertime Saga, half of the links listed in the OP are outdated (don't work for current release), and I found some threads with working solutions only because we had the Summertime Saga subforum. Search doesn't bite, but to search you need to know what to search for. That's totally different from having a look into the forum and find what's there, without knowing about it before.

gestved

Engaged Member
Aug 18, 2017
I don't like the change, there are games that were much better organized with a subforum for them, like son of a bitch which is probably a mess now to find guide for each girl in the site, or superpowered that had so many mods. The moderation need to at least make an effort to link every mod and guide in the OP of the games.

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
I don't like the change, there are games that were much better organized with a subforum for them, like son of a bitch which is probably a mess now to find guide for each girl in the site, or superpowered that had so many mods. The moderation need to at least make an effort to link every mod and guide in the OP of the games.
As Sam has said, a new way to organised this thread is should come with the new forum update. Don't now when, but if this feature works, than that should solve a lot.

For the "dead" of the popular section and the importance of it - all my own and only opinion:
The section was a good start, but in this section wasn't what I find the good games - at least in my twisted personal view of quality. To be popular you must have a huge audiance and then it is very difficulty to be also good.
So if I would only follow this section, I wouldn't entcounter a lot of the games I like and think they're good.

So the only reason for this subforum was, in my eyes, to have a few threads nicely sotrted.

My way to entcounter other game is very simple: Go to the last update, look if there is something intresting and play it. Most times I skip the first release of the devs as it sometimes has very little content.

@Nottravis:
The featured game list does a better job at this as the popular games list could ever do. The popular game were around since long ago, didn't change and even if, for a newcomer to end in this subforum, either they would have to be more popular than one of them or at least similar.

If your game is on this popularity level - or every else from a "newbie" - than they don't needed the spotlight anymore.

Other than that simple try and error principle. This also works like a charm for every other topic.;)

And last but not least: Your game seen intresting, after the first try, but for me simple to short, that I could really enough it - and I probably missed 90% of the content. So I will come back after the version counter is a little higher (and hopefully a walkthrough is there to help me:D)

Snarkfu

Mar 7, 2017
We do need something to sort the good games from the bad, I had hopes for the featured list but looking at the requirements I'm not sure what purpose it's supposed to serve for the people playing the games, it essentially looks like a way to artificially inflate the viewership of people on this site who make games which seems a bit pointless given what this site is mainly used for.

Reactions: Fantabaldu