sora21345

Oct 28, 2017
I know this is a big IF but if you do make a sequel to this game like in a different town or region you can even do a poll for the main character we play as like there gender, race, and class.

Valaska

[PFF: Avarice Dev]
Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
I know this is a big IF but if you do make a sequel to this game like in a different town or region you can even do a poll for the main character we play as like there gender, race, and class.
We definitely have spitballed some ideas and such, but having a poll later on the gauge what people are interested in would be really smart so that's a really good idea. If could help us decide what ideas we have are valid and which aren't.

Dec 16, 2018
Love the game. Setting is interesting, characters are fun and scenes are gorgerous. And let's not forget the phenomenal music! Also it's more of a "game" in a game sense (if that makes some sense).

Anyway there is still few things I think could be improved:

- performance, oh my god the performance. I know it's more of Unity thing, but I swear, during fights it gets worse and in the first big dungeon (the Whispering Bandits quest), the performance gets really really ugly. I had to make multiple saves, restart the game completely (quit the game -> start it again), cause either the fighting menu didn't collapse after a fight, or because I couldn't open containers or even something else.
- the big dungeon. I love the idea, I love the feel of it, but as mentioned performance suffer because of it. Maybe it would be better to split it into 4-6 levels as opposed to current 2?
- still regarding the big dungeon - currently you need to more or less go through a whole dungeon. I think one should be able to "have a shortcut" regarding how you did previously. For example: the artifact you get from Eastman could be used to open the doors without the need of mercury and blood. There was also a piece of dialogue from Pastor Roddis regarding her key that it was used to get to the private chambers, but alas you still need to do the whole dungeon for mercury and blood. Maybe it would be better to put this key on some very hard enemy/a miniboss that would be completely optional?
- skills - I have found myself using only the default skills that comes with characters. They are by far the most optimal currently. I know the skill trees will be later expanded on, but so far "default attack > everything else".
- fighting mechanics could be better explained. For example during the very first fight in the prologue, our companion could explain portions of it - "cards system", targeting limbs, action points, stamina bar etc. I felt very lost at the beginning, but after several hours I got the hang of it. Still, a something to consider.
- small suggestion - let us use bandages outside of fights. I have found myself not using them during battles (unnecessary, cause fights are easy), but after the battle my character have bleeding status. And while food can be used to help it, I'm sitting on huge pile of bandages and it would be nice to use them too.

Aside that the game is amazing, I'm waiting for future updates. Devs do the wonderful job (performance aside). Oh and in the meantime I've read the comic, can't wait for more here too.

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
Love the game. Setting is interesting, characters are fun and scenes are gorgerous. And let's not forget the phenomenal music! Also it's more of a "game" in a game sense (if that makes some sense).

Anyway there is still few things I think could be improved:

- performance, oh my god the performance. I know it's more of Unity thing, but I swear, during fights it gets worse and in the first big dungeon (the Whispering Bandits quest), the performance gets really really ugly. I had to make multiple saves, restart the game completely (quit the game -> start it again), cause either the fighting menu didn't collapse after a fight, or because I couldn't open containers or even something else.
- the big dungeon. I love the idea, I love the feel of it, but as mentioned performance suffer because of it. Maybe it would be better to split it into 4-6 levels as opposed to current 2?
- still regarding the big dungeon - currently you need to more or less go through a whole dungeon. I think one should be able to "have a shortcut" regarding how you did previously. For example: the artifact you get from Eastman could be used to open the doors without the need of mercury and blood. There was also a piece of dialogue from Pastor Roddis regarding her key that it was used to get to the private chambers, but alas you still need to do the whole dungeon for mercury and blood. Maybe it would be better to put this key on some very hard enemy/a miniboss that would be completely optional?
- skills - I have found myself using only the default skills that comes with characters. They are by far the most optimal currently. I know the skill trees will be later expanded on, but so far "default attack > everything else".
- fighting mechanics could be better explained. For example during the very first fight in the prologue, our companion could explain portions of it - "cards system", targeting limbs, action points, stamina bar etc. I felt very lost at the beginning, but after several hours I got the hang of it. Still, a something to consider.
- small suggestion - let us use bandages outside of fights. I have found myself not using them during battles (unnecessary, cause fights are easy), but after the battle my character have bleeding status. And while food can be used to help it, I'm sitting on huge pile of bandages and it would be nice to use them too.

Aside that the game is amazing, I'm waiting for future updates. Devs do the wonderful job (performance aside). Oh and in the meantime I've read the comic, can't wait for more here too.
Ahhh- performance, I don't think it has to do with Unity, it's more that we haven't done too much in optimization right now and we do have a few graphic-heavy post-processing effects which could really surprise people on older hardware which you can turn down! The Fog of War I find really helps with my ancient R9 290x.

Splitting Whispering Brook up might... have been a lot smarter than what we ended up doing. We will have to address it, maybe make the area with Roddis into a rest and relaxation area where you can come back to, maybe have a little bartering. I was thinking of adding a few village members who are more under Roddis' influence than Mara's and they could be minor vendors etc. Maybe we could even add in some more side-quests to break up the main quest.

Hmmm, the artifact being an alternative key eh. Interesting idea, it could give a bonus to keeping it and another benefit to meeting Roddis even if you have given it over to them. That's a good thought! I'll jot it down.

-----

Combat is FUBAR atm! Well, not FUBAR but we haven't honestly addressed the issues of combat and such yet. So skills aren't at the place we want them to be currently, we do plan on addressing and solving this Soon.tm, there will be even more specializations and such and even skills you pick up for clearing companion quests, random quests... and even hidden diegetic lore-choices.

For sure we 100% plan out to include a tutorial at the start. We really, really, really should have done it already, or rather when we first made the game... but we were completely swamped and had no idea how we would evolve our combat system eventually.

small suggestion - let us use bandages outside of fights.
We have some ideas around rest and recovery between fights etc and it will always be capped out to a maximum unless you come to a campsite and are able to rest up fully. It's part of our persistent damage and balancing thing to slow people down a bit and make combat really tactical and impactful, we do plan on having some more clever ways to save you from taking full out damage though.

J2400

Aug 27, 2018
Wait, how do you actually get the first Hiho scene? I'm replaying in a newer version, and thought I did everything correct, still ending with the dinner at Nathan's inn.
First time I triggered Iski's scene instead, but I tried replaying and triggering that before finishing Scales of Justice, but that just means I get no scene instead of Iski's.

Combat is FUBAR atm!
Really? Because I've actually had fun trying it out instead of skipping in my replay.

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
Wait, how do you actually get the first Hiho scene? I'm replaying in a newer version, and thought I did everything correct, still ending with the dinner at Nathan's inn.
First time I triggered Iski's scene instead, but I tried replaying and triggering that before finishing Scales of Justice, but that just means I get no scene instead of Iski's.

Really? Because I've actually had fun trying it out instead of skipping in my replay.
We moved it to the inn, I personally can't remember how it's handled now as a trigger, deck made the change and could tell us how it's done.

There's definitely a lot of good bones for our combat system, but the meat of it and what the player sees/interacts with is what needs to be gutted and redone. Balancing as well hasn't been done, our skills and such. We've a lot of work ahead of us to get combat to a point we are truly happy with it.

ArbuzBudesh

Game Developer
Sep 12, 2018
While we are not ruling out bedding mara more, but it's not in the plans right now. Specially given we have option to cut her off in the story makes additional scene for her low prio.

Jonathan Y

Dec 1, 2020
While we are not ruling out bedding mara more, but it's not in the plans right now. Specially given we have option to cut her off in the story makes additional scene for her low prio.
Oh really ? Could you give me a little spoiler-y tidbit on wether we'll get more Lady Wolf scenes ? Or how major a part she'll play in Redic's journey ?

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
Just want to say, been a huge fan of your work for a very long time.
Any plans on us ever getting to bed Mara in her disguised form?
I personally have plans around the scenarios and have planned the structure they would go in, but we need to be able to ensure we can clear our other content (Main story quest, companions) before we build more lewd scenes outside of our planned mainline content.

I already have a bunch of content written for Whispering Brook's aftermath states, Redemption, Corruption, and Death. Stage 1 of aftermath could be implemented at any time we get spare time, stage 2 is mostly finished and will be the permanent state of Whispering Brook as far as I have planned. You might have already seen that Mara shows up a couple of times after!

Oh really ? Could you give me a little spoiler-y tidbit on wether we'll get more Lady Wolf scenes ? Or how major a part she'll play in Redic's journey ?
We won't say anything on scenes other than, chances are good. Lady Wolf has been established as the anchor point for Redic and what he's doing, so she will continue to play a vital role and will be a presence throughout the entire narrative.

how to convince mara?
There are medical journals to fine, prisoner to speak with, and somethings on the top layer I think Eastman is part of it and the notes about the teen Porter that went between Tiemon and Mara.

Mr. Spanks

Feb 7, 2021
Welp, after being disappointed last time and being open in my criticisms, I ended up going through a bit of this again after the last 2 updates and I have to say honestly...

It's pretty damn good.

Now that the combat actually works and I'm not reloading every 2-3 minutes, it's a highly enjoyable experience so far. I believe I'm at the Ship tavern (It's been a week or so since I played last, been busy) and I had almost no issues that I had previously.

The scenes are nice, the quips in dialogue between the characters are fairly well written, I tried the same dialogue with different characters and got different responses, which is excellent, I like when devs go that extra mile. Others may not notice, but I certainly do.

Hoping to see more interactions and backstories of different characters get fleshed out. Aya seems like an interesting character, hope to see more of her in her profession since her scene feels pretty bare, pun not intended. I actually grinned at Samara's remarks, she definitely seems like the character that would try to watch or join in every chance she could.

The only thing that gets me is the weird crowd system. I know it's still early, but I'd rather have a couple people roaming around that don't wish to talk to me and fill up the various areas with NPC's I'd remember doing their trade.

Anyways, waiting to see what comes of this, but you have me sold so far. Hope to see this all the way through and not end up a dead project with so much potential for story telling and world-building here. I'll clean up my thoughts and put them into an actual review at some point hopefully.

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
Welp, after being disappointed last time and being open in my criticisms, I ended up going through a bit of this again after the last 2 updates and I have to say honestly...

It's pretty damn good.

Now that the combat actually works and I'm not reloading every 2-3 minutes, it's a highly enjoyable experience so far. I believe I'm at the Ship tavern (It's been a week or so since I played last, been busy) and I had almost no issues that I had previously.

The scenes are nice, the quips in dialogue between the characters are fairly well written, I tried the same dialogue with different characters and got different responses, which is excellent, I like when devs go that extra mile. Others may not notice, but I certainly do.

Hoping to see more interactions and backstories of different characters get fleshed out. Aya seems like an interesting character, hope to see more of her in her profession since her scene feels pretty bare, pun not intended. I actually grinned at Samara's remarks, she definitely seems like the character that would try to watch or join in every chance she could.

The only thing that gets me is the weird crowd system. I know it's still early, but I'd rather have a couple people roaming around that don't wish to talk to me and fill up the various areas with NPC's I'd remember doing their trade.

Anyways, waiting to see what comes of this, but you have me sold so far. Hope to see this all the way through and not end up a dead project with so much potential for story telling and world-building here. I'll clean up my thoughts and put them into an actual review at some point hopefully.
Neat! Combat is still a far cry from where we want it, but we do believe we have the foundation to build a solid combat system in the future which will be engaging and fun. We need more feedback in response to player input (effects, sounds, animations), balancing, skills etc.

A lot of the companions have had quite a bit of work lately with their companion quests, but there will be more ladies night events (the scene where the girls are getting Hiho drunk) where inconsequential character building happens. Will be able to learn little fluff bits about their background, things they like, etc. What they're like when their guard is all the way down.

We have no choice but to finish this game and put it out to market to be frank. We've... invested a lot of time and effort into this project and a release to steam is our end goal. It'll help establish us as a brand, give us experience, and the ability to develop more projects.

Reactions: BanditoMarito

J2400

Aug 27, 2018
Neat! Combat is still a far cry from where we want it, but we do believe we have the foundation to build a solid combat system in the future which will be engaging and fun. We need more feedback in response to player input (effects, sounds, animations), balancing, skills etc.
I wholeheartedly agree that the basic foundation is really good, but I can also give some QOL input:
It can be difficult to move to tiles behind other characters, since you need to click on a part of tile of that isn't covered someone in front.
It can also be difficult to see which tiles are open, blocked or adjacent when someone is in front of it.
Also, if you try to use Osh'to's basic bow attack outside of its range, she will run as far towards to the enemy as her AP allows, rather than just running in range and making the attack.

4.10 star(s) 35 Votes