Valaska

[PFF: Avarice Dev]
Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
wanted to ask since the game is 85 years before the comics then does it really matter if some quest is canon and non canon?
I think we settled on 87, but basically because one of the prominent figures is in the game will lead whatever happens here in Kaldea into the webcomic, and she may reminisce about the events that happened. Since Kaldea is a huge issue in the region for Atlathka, and the game is set in Atlathka, a lot of what is going on in the webcomic stems from what the end events of Avarice.

As Clementine says in the early game, this is the beach head for her operation in Atlathka. Her organisation is a massive part of the story events to come.

But not only that but I write characters to be permanent entities in anything I write so naturally the events NEED to have a resolution and we MUST have that resolution be consistent if we ever call back to it. Especially if we want to have a game that is a sequel to Avarice in the future we will need a game-state that is canonical in terms of ending. Also if we want to write short stories, novels, or webcomic etc in that time period.

So Redic, Hiho, Scylla, Mara, Osh'to, Kimber, Samara, Moira, etc etc etc all have a canonical end state. I'll spoil one, Pesh, the grocer, ends up with the guard across the street which he quits his employ with the slaver and works with Pesh in her business. They'll settle down in the future, have a few kids and the grocery business will take off. But since Saurians are so much longer-lived than other races, she'll be a widow and will not marry again in later age (though it's theoretical she may entertain gentlemen callers, she's not really the type to move on).

I haven't seen a lot of mistakes. I encountered one typo. I don't remember what it was. Something that would slip by autocorrect, a word being autocorrected into being another word that it shouldn't have been. The usual ducknig problem. My main criticism about the writing is... hmm. I don't want to say anything, lest you do something crazy like go back and rewrite all the earlier NPC dialogues, traders, Surgeon, etc, stunting game development for a decade. :) I know what writers are like. I can't finish a page without wanting to rewrite it. There a lot of stale shit there, but gods, finish the game first.

I think the lore is good. The Undead in particular, a very interesting take. Reminds me of the skeletons from Kenshi, perhaps with a bit of Planescape on the side. The character writing is good as it pertains to the main cast. Drunk Hiho is one of the few good drunk scenes I've seen in a game. Though certain scenes made me raise some question about naga anatomy.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Some real criticism though. If you're only gonna have 4 party members, just have a full party. You can add all characters to your party through cheats anyway, just have them all around normally. Expand the UI. The argument for limited party size is an argument 3d games made with AI pathing issues, and some bad faith arguments relating to forced replayability values. Old games like Baldurs Gate had no problem having a 6+ size party. And there are issues here. For example, because I never took Scylla with me, her sudden friendship with Hiho during the Red Is Her Color quest came out of nowhere because I never saw them interact. Not that that extent anyway.
Oh shit I forgot to mention Crabble, he has come on to proofread what we write and he's helped a ton to catch things. Updated my word processors to catch more stuff as well, issue is that they are by no means perfect and sometimes I have a nasty habit of typing a completely correct word that has nothing to do with what I meant to type... it's bizarre. What is the complaint you have though?

Yeah, I've written all the ladies nights so far, I've been around sloshed girl's who have been sheltered before, just channelled experience. Naga anus' is near the end of their tail between two ventricle scales, liquids are quickly processed and go out through a dedicated bladder tract after the stomach, solids are digested slowly and through multiple stomachs and an extremely long intestinal tract until they pass "pellets" basically.

--

It'd be a bit late for that as we have a lot of chats that trigger as if someone was recruited, but is not present at the moment. Would have been a good thing to consider early on but right now we are too far in and have written a few things assuming it. That some of the content, specifically Scylla's latest quest, relies on one character being out of action. But yeah it mighta been a smarter thing to do at the start, guess we just followed traditional design without thinking too much on it. Another thing we did was made it so certain characters in certain situations have easy-outs for that situation.

But yeah a few chats hint at Scylla and Hiho developing a friendship outside of time Redic spends with the two, Girl's night with drunk Hiho for example she is very clingy with her and Verona both. There will be more ladies nights that will set it up and such. Also if you mistreat Hiho in front of Scylla ever, it has a negative relationship trigger for both and she will defend Hiho.

Reactions: Mr. Bore

kandur

Jul 26, 2019
Also if you mistreat Hiho in front of Scylla ever, it has a negative relationship trigger for both and she will defend Hiho.
I actually suspected something like that but I wasn't sure if I should beleive it, that the game takes little things like that into account. I noticed this when I was trying to reproduce the drunk night scene after I finished the current build and I just couldn't get the same dialogue that I got the first time, there are a lot of triggers for various dialogues, even single lines.
This was Hiho the first time, second time I couldn't get her to say the "and we had sex" line, and it was literally just that one line missing. I tried various combinations of things, including doing Tall Debt before finishing Crimson Dervish (in the end, that did it, even though she has no lines during the drunk night). I'm still not sure what it was.

Speaking of Hiho I might have encountered a bug, or the Walkthrough is wrong, because I got Hiho's sex scene the first time after finishing her recruitment quest and the walkthrough just says your reward is that she joins. So the second time I just got the same scene and it kind of made me feel like I got her scene too early. I'm not sure if this is a mix up or I was so good to her that I sequence broke her romance.

Last edited:

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
I actually suspected something like that but I wasn't sure if I should beleive it, that the game takes little things like that into account. I noticed this when I was trying to reproduce the drunk night scene after I finished the current build and I just couldn't get the same dialogue that I got the first time, there are a lot of triggers for various dialogues, even single lines.
This was Hiho the first time, second time I couldn't get her to say the "and we had sex" line, and it was literally just that one line missing. I tried various combinations of things, including doing Tall Debt before finishing Crimson Dervish (in the end, that did it, even though she has no lines during the drunk night). I'm still not sure what it was.

Speaking of Hiho I might have encountered a bug, or the Walkthrough is wrong, because I got Hiho's sex scene the first time after finishing her recruitment quest and the walkthrough just says your reward is that she joins. So the second time I just got the same scene. I'm not sure if this is a mix up or I was so good to her that I sequence broke her romance.
Yeah uhhh... I have no idea where I left that google doc so I got ZERO idea of all the triggers for that one but there are more triggers in the ladies night sequences than a lot of the dialogue. Since it's fluff stuff I chalk that shit full of triggers and qualifiers, also if your relationship stats are positive, neutral, or negative... uhhh depends on who you have recruited, also what point you are in story-wise changes some of them.

Who is alive or dead also changes things (side characters), how you treated Buckle is a HUGE one, the scullery boy in the catacombs and if you killed him, also who witnessed you at the time doing it will change things.

It's one of the main ways I can really give the player feedback for the things they have done in the game world up to this point, these side-chats. A lot of our MSQ's need to track the same direction so we can't break completely what happens with decisions, but yeah. Not every quest can be Whispering Brook for instance... which, originally, was a sidequest! It was NOT meant to be a main story quest! That's why there were so many outcomes for it (3.5).

MoistMeal

Aug 4, 2020
I've just recently started to support you guys on patreon, and was just wondering since im sort of ignorant of this site, im not sure how anything works, but how do I get that supporter badge under my profile? is it something exclusive or something special people get? I was just curious about it so hope someone knows things about it

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
I've just recently started to support you guys on patreon, and was just wondering since im sort of ignorant of this site, im not sure how anything works, but how do I get that supporter badge under my profile? is it something exclusive or something special people get? I was just curious about it so hope someone knows things about it
We actually (I don't think?) run the supporter badge system for F95 and I don't think we have anything to do with it... I think? I'm not sure how it works or is set up here lol.

Would be interesting to learn though!

colifa

Dec 16, 2019
Is there a way to have more than 2 companions in the party at the same time, to see their reactions when i am talking in missions, like in atlathka blockade when i speak with clementine?

Bingoogus

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2021
Untitled.png
It would appear that there are remnants of the sketch in the final version of Hiho's art. The arrows point to what looks like an eye and a nostril.

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
View attachment 1552743
It would appear that there are remnants of the sketch in the final version of Hiho's art. The arrows point to what looks like an eye and a nostril.
Those are actually just scales lol. The only concept of Hiho (the earliest too) has her eye and nostril somewhat similar. The scales on her face you are seeing are meant to add a bit of dynamic geometry and detail to show the way that her face is angled/curved giving a bit of depth.

Here is the earliest concept of her we have. girls1.png

Bingoogus

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2021
Those are actually just scales lol. The only concept of Hiho (the earliest too) has her eye and nostril somewhat similar. The scales on her face you are seeing are meant to add a bit of dynamic geometry and detail to show the way that her face is angled/curved giving a bit of depth.

Here is the earliest concept of her we have. View attachment 1553473
Really? they come from nowhere, go nowhere and follow no observable pattern. They would look less like sketch remnants if there were more of them and they followed some kind of pattern, real snakes head/face scales have all sorts of interesting layouts.

But whatever, if it's not a bug, it's not a bug.

4.10 star(s) 35 Votes