Emperor_Arcturus

Jul 18, 2017
No problem I enjoy talking about and answering peoples questions on our project.

Verona might be a while until we do some more follow up content, mainly... we want the story to progress for the next quest. She's a sword rattler basically, haha. She goes for those sellswords, adventurers, mercenaries, monster slayers, and anyone who has made a name for themselves typically in the bravery department. She likes strong men and women basically, so you'll need to prove worthy for a follow up lewd scene. But I want to have a scene before that with her and Vaehill, er "Old Lizard Woman" just chatting together while having what passes for coffee in this region.

Customization of Redic is a tricky question. There's no real efficient way for us to do it unless we get enough patreon funding to hire a full-time animator. If we could cover that it's very possible we could have a light customization system for the male version of Redic, so scars, markings, maybe skin tone... but nothing that would particularly change his profile. It would be a lot of drawing new assets for every scene. Programming wise we could get it done in a day. Another issue is that I would like to have still frame pictures; However, we do want to include a gender option so our lady friends out there in the world could play a female character. We need to assess this probably in the midway point if it's feasible or not, but we all desire this a lot.

We're talking old-fashioned Baldur's Gate length! Our first "dungeon" will clarify we do intend for excursions and adventures to be quite long. We are also theory crafting on secondary gameplay loops and mechanics. Deck (programmer) and I are both very keen to add in a CYOA style text game where you commission out with Caravans, Smugglers, or the Monster Slayer guilds etc. It would basically have 1-3 paragraphs of text with 3 options, you pick the option and the story goes on that way with a couple random chance rolls to shake it up, accompanied with low detailed and stylized paintings.

So we kind of want a... I don't know if it would be replayability aspect, but a drawn-out experience. Although replay wise you can choose different dialogue options etc, but these will more affect the people of the world rather than the story arc. We plan on having it more or less always culminate to the same conclusion, but with different ways of getting there.

A big spoiler is we plan to include after credits roll ala Fallout 1 and 2. Not 3, 3 was terrible.

And awesome, even just interest is a hugely appreciated bit of support. You can pop by our discord if you have any questions or just want to chat, we understand not everyone can spring for this financially so we really do appreciate every form of support people can manage.
Okay. And yeah, I didn't really think about it when I was asking that, but now that you mention it, having to go through and redo every asset and artwork in order to change Redric's sounds like it'd be a major pain. Definitely sounds like much more work than it would be worth. The female one sounds interesting, would be interested to see how you change up some scenes for the female version!

As for the length, that sounds awesome! I actually never got to play Baldur's Gate or any of those old RPG's. I have the original Fallout on Steam, but haven't gotten around to playing it, need to do that sometime. The closest I've come is probably Divinity 2, but I still have yet to finish even that! And the CYOA thing sounds really interesting, I'd love to try that out! All said, sounds like this game will be very interesting from what you intend to go for!

I just have a few more questions, for now anyway haha. I guess the first question I wanna ask is in terms of PC-NPC relationships, namely, and probably obviously, romantically. How far are we going to be able to go with the NPC's? Is it just going to get to a point where we become fuckbuddies with most of the NPC's, or do you plan on letting us choose to develop a relationship with certain NPC's? Like Samara or Verona, you must be very surprised I'm bringing her up in this, haha. But still, I'm curious as to whether we'll be able to really further develop our relationships with the NPC's. What can I say, I like some fuckin romance every now and then! Also, if I can request a Bromance character on par with Garrus from Mass Effect 2-3, that would be much appreciated.

Also, on combat I've gotta say I really enjoy the way you guys made it. At first I saw that it was a turn based hex map and though "Okay, I can get behind this, I know how this works." Then there was the deck based combat and I thought "Oh, this is a cool way to do this." I was really interested in it and it seemed to be a very unique system, for me at least, I don't know of any other games that have that kind of combat system. But I'm curious how you'll handle it for later levels and higher level gear. Will it become a sort of deck building type system, or is will it be more of "You have the skills from your level, plus anything you gain from your weapons/gear and that's what your deck's made of" kind of thing? I'm curious as to how higher level skills/abilities/gear will change up your system.

And for my last two questions, they're pretty simple. What's the rate of public releases vs patron releases? I tend to be an impatient man, an unfortunate fault I've been cursed with, so I like to know when I can expect to get something. Although I'm sure that question's been asked a lot of you already, and you're probably already used to the "UPDATE WHEN" questions, and if you're not, BEWARE! And finally you mentioned dialogue options so I've gotta ask, can I make my Redic sound like the most cocky SOB ever? My favorite type of characters to roleplay are those sort of Cocky Gunslinger type characters, especially those who can actually, or even sort of, pull of their boasts and prove that they're as good as they are cocky.

Anyway, to end this wall of text I'm just gonna say keep up the good work! This has quickly become one of my favorite and most anticipated games on this site and I'm really excited to get my hands on the next builds!

Valaska

[PFF: Avarice Dev]
Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
Yeah Fallout 1 is definitely cool, but Fallout 2 is where the series really shined. it was the best in terms of zany fun out of all of them, mixed with some pretty deep narration.

We don't have any truly dedicated monogamous plans yet, but you can definitely get much closer with a member of the party over others and keep it casual. We don't want any sex scene to be mandatory and a couple scenes may write as if you need to take the sex scene BUT it shouldn't and I will fix that, it was a disconnect between writers basically which I'll sort out. Having your waifu react and acknowledge that singular relationship is something I have planned, but no strict bonds or any punishment for fooling around. Sex isn't quite as taboo in this region.

Haha thanks, actually the deck system is for the enemy AI! Certain AI will have special cards, they basically dictate enemy behaviour and there will be abilities to look at the enemies hand, upcoming deck, shuffle, place cards in the discard pile etc. We will have gear that will be both sidegrades for Redic (you can tool him to fill in gaps) and then vertical progression in those trees. There will be ability tree's as well... but you won't be really out levelling any content in the game but levels will definitely make you more prepared and have a lot more flexibility.

About a month lag time or so, sometimes a little more depending how much work we put into a specific update. Redic will definitely have some cockier responses to things as the story opens up. Samara's quest can let you be a bit of a butt haha.

Thanks! We appreciate it a ton.

Emperor_Arcturus

Jul 18, 2017
We don't have any truly dedicated monogamous plans yet, but you can definitely get much closer with a member of the party over others and keep it casual. We don't want any sex scene to be mandatory and a couple scenes may write as if you need to take the sex scene BUT it shouldn't and I will fix that, it was a disconnect between writers basically which I'll sort out. Having your waifu react and acknowledge that singular relationship is something I have planned, but no strict bonds or any punishment for fooling around. Sex isn't quite as taboo in this region.
So that's a no to marrying my waifu? Damn that's a shame. Ah well, I'll get over it!

Reactions: Valaska

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
Thank you a ton Prevat! Hopefully the quality we are putting in gets us some, we'll keep trying out best. We have plans to advertise eventually once the first stages of the story are actually in the game :).

Thanks a ton for the support mate.

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
We are having a vote between two new characters over at our Patreon right now, and at the same time introducing a new race to the universe!

Iski and Katrina.png

Kobolds! Kobolds are their own subgenus of LizardFolk and aren't simply the diminutive "orphaned" lizardfolk. They have a history of being nocturnal pack hunters and have evolved along those lines, which gives a kobold an extraordinarily quick wit and a high degree of situational awareness.

Crepuscular and clever, they'll be in our game soon!

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
Any cheats?
Kind of! Right now you can skip through combat and Patrons get a gallery code to see the lewds.

really well done and written

/applaud
Awesome thank you so much for your praise mate! It means a lot.

How is this anything like baldur's gate you can't even make your own character.
Err... well, Baldurs Gate was more than just a character creator. Baldurs Gate was a narrative-driven experience that was heavy on dialogue, quests, turn-based, CRPG, and very heavily text-based. In the end our game fits into the CRPG genre and the way we handle our dialogue options and formatting mirror how Baldurs Gate, Divinity Original Sin, etc handled their dialogue as well.

Unfortunately not every project or game can honestly afford to re-draw every asset and we are attempting to have a decent quality shared across all our scenes. If we had a team of multiple artists to re-draw every single scene with every single character choice etc that could work but if we did that now we would end up having a massive drop in quality.

Quite a few projects sacrifice quality for customization, we've gone the other route. If you are irked heavily to the point it upsets you that we state 'Baldurs Gate Like' without having a character customization... I'm not sure what we can to do rectify this situation other than only picking games that don't have character customization to advertise the game?

We've never stated we have character customization so it just seems so finicky to do so. Maybe we'll think about it, but for now, it makes sense and works. Sorry we've let you down.

Deleted member 770309

Jul 23, 2018
Kind of! Right now you can skip through combat and Patrons get a gallery code to see the lewds.

Awesome thank you so much for your praise mate! It means a lot.

Err... well, Baldurs Gate was more than just a character creator. Baldurs Gate was a narrative-driven experience that was heavy on dialogue, quests, turn-based, CRPG, and very heavily text-based. In the end our game fits into the CRPG genre and the way we handle our dialogue options and formatting mirror how Baldurs Gate, Divinity Original Sin, etc handled their dialogue as well.

Unfortunately not every project or game can honestly afford to re-draw every asset and we are attempting to have a decent quality shared across all our scenes. If we had a team of multiple artists to re-draw every single scene with every single character choice etc that could work but if we did that now we would end up having a massive drop in quality.

Quite a few projects sacrifice quality for customization, we've gone the other route. If you are irked heavily to the point it upsets you that we state 'Baldurs Gate Like' without having a character customization... I'm not sure what we can to do rectify this situation other than only picking games that don't have character customization to advertise the game?

We've never stated we have character customization so it just seems so finicky to do so. Maybe we'll think about it, but for now, it makes sense and works. Sorry we've let you down.
Yeah i am going to pass on this cause the character customization in Baldurs Gate, Divinity Original Sin and all the others was amazing if there is no character customization in this whats the point in playing ill be honest though i only played like 5 minutes of this game i just did not like the look of the main character so i gave up cause the fun of playing a game like Baldurs Gate, Divinity Original Sin and games like them in general is the dialogue and choices and character customization cause we all love looking like a bad ass and acting like a bad ass well i think i might go and replay Baldurs Gate right now.

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
Yeah i am going to pass on this cause the character customization in Baldurs Gate, Divinity Original Sin and all the others was amazing if there is no character customization in this whats the point in playing ill be honest though i only played like 5 minutes of this game i just did not like the look of the main character so i gave up cause the fun of playing a game like Baldurs Gate, Divinity Original Sin and games like them in general is the dialogue and choices and character customization cause we all love looking like a bad ass and acting like a bad ass well i think i might go and replay Baldurs Gate right now.
Hrm, well that's fair it is your choice.

I don't remember Baldurs Gate customization being all that deep though? You could choose your portrait, skin tone and clothes that got covered in armour pretty much immediately... your background was fixed etc, did they change it up in the remaster?

As much as we'd like to enable people to customize their character, it's simply not possible with our current funding or team size. The nature of hand-drawn scenes that are then later rigged and we'll be having these faded digital paintings for some still scenes etc... it's just prohibitive.

BioWare only had to deal with 3D models being "animated" in their cutscenes and the character customization used a few shared assets that were used to fill in the crowds etc. The only real way we could replicate that would be to make a stock body in every scene and draw 10 different bodies, 10 different eyes, 10 different mouths, hairs, the list is staggering for how small we are at the moment... and believe me, we would love to give you character customization.

But the dialogue bits are what we are focusing on, and possibly being able to pick between Male or Female if we can ramp up production pace and a few more team members are added.

Deleted member 770309

Jul 23, 2018
Hrm, well that's fair it is your choice.

I don't remember Baldurs Gate customization being all that deep though? You could choose your portrait, skin tone and clothes that got covered in armour pretty much immediately... your background was fixed etc, did they change it up in the remaster?

As much as we'd like to enable people to customize their character, it's simply not possible with our current funding or team size. The nature of hand-drawn scenes that are then later rigged and we'll be having these faded digital paintings for some still scenes etc... it's just prohibitive.

BioWare only had to deal with 3D models being "animated" in their cutscenes and the character customization used a few shared assets that were used to fill in the crowds etc. The only real way we could replicate that would be to make a stock body in every scene and draw 10 different bodies, 10 different eyes, 10 different mouths, hairs, the list is staggering for how small we are at the moment... and believe me, we would love to give you character customization.

But the dialogue bits are what we are focusing on, and possibly being able to pick between Male or Female if we can ramp up production pace and a few more team members are added.
Well i can't really complain much i have barely played this game but the art in this game is god damn beautiful i will give you guys props for that.

Reactions: Valaska

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
Well i can't really complain much i have barely played this game but the art in this game is god damn beautiful i will give you guys props for that.
Thanks a ton, I hope in the future as our team grows we can manage a project you'll get more into. It might not be in thne cards for this game, but if this one releases and hits well on steam etc or if the patreon really takes off then we'll might be able to experiment more with the lead character in future projects.

Deleted member 770309

Jul 23, 2018
Thanks a ton, I hope in the future as our team grows we can manage a project you'll get more into. It might not be in thne cards for this game, but if this one releases and hits well on steam etc or if the patreon really takes off then we'll might be able to experiment more with the lead character in future projects.
Plus if you guys do end up making another game i hope there will be some good waifus in it.

Reactions: malajoao12

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
Patreon build 6 but still only public build 2, next public build when?
Soon! Very soon, this month soon. So, soon haha. If all goes to plan the wait will be worth it!

Plus if you guys do end up making another game i hope there will be some good waifus in it.
I'd argue that Hiho is a perfectly fine Waifu! Or Verona. Tarakanovich actually drew Verona as a piece of fanart, apparently he loved the way I wrote her and her design in general.

Deleted member 770309

Jul 23, 2018
Soon! Very soon, this month soon. So, soon haha. If all goes to plan the wait will be worth it!

I'd argue that Hiho is a perfectly fine Waifu! Or Verona. Tarakanovich actually drew Verona as a piece of fanart, apparently he loved the way I wrote her and her design in general.
Dude like i said i have barley played the game so have no idea who they are.

4.10 star(s) 35 Votes