4.30 star(s) 124 Votes

UncleFredo

Aug 29, 2020
I agree to disagree. We would end up in a long philosophical discussion, which would not result in anything, as we both view things differently.
But calling the MC pussy, because killing man from behind "should be easy for the hunter" of the deer, which killed an opponent in an honorable duel, or monsters which posed imminent direct harm to the others around him....thats just plain lack of understanding the nuances of integrity, honour and care for life.
I agree that a long discussion wouldn't add to the thread, but I didn't call him a pussy because I don't think that scene portrays him as one.

When you take a practical self defense firearms course, there is an entire section about the consequences you'll face should you find yourself in a situation where you need to use deadly force. The point of that section is that if you aren't prepared to use it when appropriate don't carry a gun, because its presence will only make things worse.

The MC has been portrayed as thoughtful and aware of consequences and IMHO would already have faced the possibility of such a situation. He wasn't out hunting. He was carrying his bow because he thought he might need it, and not incase a game animal walked by.

Anyway I agree to disagree and will say no more about it.

RooneyCZ

Mar 28, 2022
I agree that a long discussion wouldn't add to the thread, but I didn't call him a pussy because I don't think that scene portrays him as one.

When you take a practical self defense firearms course, there is an entire section about the consequences you'll face should you find yourself in a situation where you need to use deadly force. The point of that section is that if you aren't prepared to use it when appropriate don't carry a gun, because its presence will only make things worse.

The MC has been portrayed as thoughtful and aware of consequences and IMHO would already have faced the possibility of such a situation. He wasn't out hunting. He was carrying his bow because he thought he might need it, and not incase a game animal walked by.

Anyway I agree to disagree and will say no more about it.
You didnt, the user I was initially replying, however, did...so i carried that over as my initial statement was in regards to him...
I know, I have Concealed carry license, and I hunt...i dont have a problem to shoot an animal, or to shoot in selfdence...but this was neither of it...its basically shooting the "policmen" who is going to arrest your love and friend with you knowing they will face death penalty...thats fucke dup on so many levels that i understand that MC is in bad shape after that....

Mommysbuttslut

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2021
but an experienced hunter will not suffer ptsd from killing an enemy with a bow.
Experienced soldiers suffer PTSD from exactly that all the time, why would a hunter be any different? Fetishizing hunters as some stone cold killers is just plain weird. The dude has spent his life worshipping the church, who he'd just killed a member of, and hunting to feed people and keep them alive, a skill he just used to end someone's life.
I get that some uber macho alpha male like yourself must be completely disassociated from any sense of empathy or human decency but for most people that's gonna fuck you up.

UncleFredo

Aug 29, 2020
You didnt, the user I was initially replying, however, did...so i carried that over as my initial statement was in regards to him...
I know, I have Concealed carry license, and I hunt...i dont have a problem to shoot an animal, or to shoot in selfdence...but this was neither of it...its basically shooting the "policmen" who is going to arrest your love and friend with you knowing they will face death penalty...thats fucke dup on so many levels that i understand that MC is in bad shape after that....
My objection is to the agonizing before he kills the inquisitor, not the emotional burden that follows. It's fucked up because his lack of choice, and he has no choice, is the result of their decision to stay after they learned of the plague. They should have gathered provisions and equipment and left immediately. Given how infectious the plague is, the inquisitor would probably have to have been killed more or less as soon as he had physical contact with either woman. They can't take the chance he got infected.

So while, technically a murder, this is also a necessary killing in defense of the public good and to remain free it could have been avoided. So I agree that it's perfectly reasonable that he's messed up after the killing. It's to be expected really.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aelth and RooneyCZ

RooneyCZ

Mar 28, 2022
My objection is to the agonizing before he kills the inquisitor, not the emotional burden that follows. It's fucked up because his lack of choice, and he has no choice, is the result of their decision to stay after they learned of the plague. They should have gathered provisions and equipment and left immediately. Given how infectious the plague is, the inquisitor would probably have to have been killed more or less as soon as he had physical contact with either woman. They can't take the chance he got infected.

So while, technically a murder, this is also a necessary killing in defense of the public good and to remain free it could have been avoided. So I agree that it's perfectly reasonable that he's messed up after the killing. It's to be expected really.
I even understand that agonizing beforehand. And yes, its all in the end result of many bad decisions, that caused it in the first place. But i can understand that problem from the MC perspective. It is clusterfuck no matter what.

Reactions: UncleFredo

Ragnar

Super User
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
Experienced soldiers suffer PTSD from exactly that all the time, why would a hunter be any different? Fetishizing hunters as some stone cold killers is just plain weird. The dude has spent his life worshipping the church, who he'd just killed a member of, and hunting to feed people and keep them alive, a skill he just used to end someone's life.
I get that some uber macho alpha male like yourself must be completely disassociated from any sense of empathy or human decency but for most people that's gonna fuck you up.
Not fetishizing anything. It's just funny to see a dude in a medieval setting acting like a kid from Cali because he has to kill a cultist who was threatening his loved ones and the world itself. Idk, I find that scene kind of juvenile imo.
The MC is not you or me, he lives in a different world under different circunstancies. He had seen loved ones dying, he had killed other men, he's in a life or death scenario and so on. That reaction came out of the left field and I find it strange after all the shit that has been going on in the game.

Last edited:

Knight_of_the_lance

Feb 23, 2020
I kill bad guys all the time in video game (and in Larp) guive me a real sword or gun, tell me to go kill someone unsuspecting, I drop the wepon faster than it got in my hand. If their is no link between murderous intent and video games, why would their be between huniting and assassination?

Stating that ther is no law in a medieval seting is misunderstanding human nature for self preservation as individuals and as a group. ther where laws and people responsible for maintaining them. How good where they at their job? that is an other question. (even in this day and age) but the need for self preservation would push people to be in a safe environment or to try and create one. Both the MC and the inquisitor regardless of their belifs and their motivations where striving for that. those belif clashed and got one of them killed. It does not make it a pleasant or emotion less act.

For a normal person it is actualy quite hard to wilingly kill someone. And even in accident killing someone caries a lot of weight. whenever someone get hit by a car, the person in the car always guet transported to the hospital for mental shock.

Mommysbuttslut

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2021
It's just funny to see a dude in a medieval setting acting like a kid from Cali because he has to kill a cultist who was threatening his loved ones and the world itself. Idk, I find that scene kind of juvenile imo.
Is it kind of juvenile when a soldier comes back from war with PTSD? Yes? Then you're an asshole and your opinion doesn't matter. No? Then why would an untrained boy scout who dedicated his life and craft to preserving peoples lives suddenly has to use his skills to end someone's not be traumatizing?
Your intimation that a hunter would be immune to PTSD from this, when a soldier isn't is fetishizing the idea of a hunter. It's fetishizing a hunter to be some cold blooded ruthless killer, where as unless you're an obnoxious vegan or something, there's no rational reason to expect one to be.

Reactions: Son of Durin

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
Is it kind of juvenile when a soldier comes back from war with PTSD? Yes? Then you're an asshole and your opinion doesn't matter. No? Then why would an untrained boy scout who dedicated his life and craft to preserving peoples lives suddenly has to use his skills to end someone's not be traumatizing?
Your intimation that a hunter would be immune to PTSD from this, when a soldier isn't is fetishizing the idea of a hunter. It's fetishizing a hunter to be some cold blooded ruthless killer, where as unless you're an obnoxious vegan or something, there's no rational reason to expect one to be.
Isn't "obnoxious vegan" redundant?

And, yes, the idea that someone who has generally taken the side of "right" and is suddenly thrust into a situation where he acts "dishonorably" according to his own code might have a crisis of faith and some bad sleep over doing so isn't at all far fetched. Those that don't think that is a "reasonable" response likely have some serious sociopathy in their make up.

Last edited:

Knight_of_the_lance

Feb 23, 2020
I think I now understand the reason behind the personality of the AIs given to assassins. I was wondering with how Eve acted but now with this discutionI think I get why. Now there is a non zero chance that I am wrong as I have been with my predictions about the game in the past. (Witch is not a bad thing.)

UncleFredo

Aug 29, 2020
I kill bad guys all the time in video game (and in Larp) guive me a real sword or gun, tell me to go kill someone unsuspecting, I drop the wepon faster than it got in my hand. If their is no link between murderous intent and video games, why would their be between huniting and assassination?

Stating that ther is no law in a medieval seting is misunderstanding human nature for self preservation as individuals and as a group. ther where laws and people responsible for maintaining them. How good where they at their job? that is an other question. (even in this day and age) but the need for self preservation would push people to be in a safe environment or to try and create one. Both the MC and the inquisitor regardless of their belifs and their motivations where striving for that. those belif clashed and got one of them killed. It does not make it a pleasant or emotion less act.

For a normal person it is actualy quite hard to wilingly kill someone. And even in accident killing someone caries a lot of weight. whenever someone get hit by a car, the person in the car always guet transported to the hospital for mental shock.
So you wouldn't kill in the defense of your loved ones and every single person on the island? As I said earlier in the thread, part of training someone to carry a weapon to be used to defend themselves, loved ones, or innocents, is to have them come to terms with taking another's life. Also to define the limits when they would use potentially deadly force.

"Normal people" who decide to provide for their defense and that of others, are led to come to terms with the necessary boundaries to do that. Some decide they can't do so. Fair enough. Those who move forward are willing to kill if necessary within the boundaries where they have no choice.

"Normal people" facing an ugly enough threat have killed the threat for thousands of years. As I said earlier, the MC had no choice, what sucks is had they left as soon as they knew of the plague he never would have been in the situation.

Also we (not you but several folks here) have been throwing the term assassination around pretty freely. Assassination applies to killing prominent people heads of governments, major figures etc. Killing the inquisitor is murder, but not an assassination.

Reactions: Aelth and Ragnar

Knight_of_the_lance

Feb 23, 2020
So you wouldn't kill in the defense of your loved ones and every single person on the island? As I said earlier in the thread, part of training someone to carry a weapon to be used to defend themselves, loved ones, or innocents, is to have them come to terms with taking another's life. Also to define the limits when they would use potentially deadly force.

"Normal people" who decide to provide for their defense and that of others, are led to come to terms with the necessary boundaries to do that. Some decide they can't do so. Fair enough. Those who move forward are willing to kill if necessary within the boundaries where they have no choice.

"Normal people" facing an ugly enough threat have killed the threat for thousands of years. As I said earlier, the MC had no choice, what sucks is had they left as soon as they knew of the plague he never would have been in the situation.

Also we (not you but several folks here) have been throwing the term assassination around pretty freely. Assassination applies to killing prominent people heads of governments, major figures etc. Killing the inquisitor is murder, but not an assassination.
The situationin witch the MC gets thrown is ugly no one is denying that. In the same situation I woud do the same knowing full well that it will leave my psychea wounded. The discution is mostly about wether or not his action can cause him mental scars and if his prior training as a hunter makes him more resistant to the repercutions of his actions. When I am saying I wouldn't kill someone that was unsuspecting I was talking about only that, not the exact situation the MC is in the game, I should have been more precise sorry.

I argue that his training as a hunter has no bearing on his ability to kill someone in cold blood and that this action no mather the circumstances has repercution on his mind.

There are many war storries about soldiers killing their enemies by the number not because they where cold blooded but because they felt their friend and famellies where thertened. You could make an argument for the MC being one such person, but that is for Pandaman to descide if he is one of them or not. And I think the storie he is reciting is the most compeling argument about his stance on the question. (For every such soldier how many more where there shooting in the air above the enemy in simple hope of scaring them. the special men are far between. And unless you are thrown in a situation to test it I don't know how to know it)

UncleFredo

Aug 29, 2020
The situationin witch the MC gets thrown is ugly no one is denying that. In the same situation I woud do the same knowing full well that it will leave my psychea wounded. The discution is mostly about wether or not his action can cause him mental scars and if his prior training as a hunter makes him more resistant to the repercutions of his actions. When I am saying I wouldn't kill someone that was unsuspecting I was talking about only that, not the exact situation the MC is in the game, I should have been more precise sorry.

I argue that his training as a hunter has no bearing on his ability to kill someone in cold blood and that this action no mather the circumstances has repercution on his mind.

There are many war storries about soldiers killing their enemies by the number not because they where cold blooded but because they felt their friend and famellies where thertened. You could make an argument for the MC being one such person, but that is for Pandaman to descide if he is one of them or not. And I think the storie he is reciting is the most compeling argument about his stance on the question. (For every such soldier how many more where there shooting in the air above the enemy in simple hope of scaring them. the special men are far between. And unless you are thrown in a situation to test it I don't know how to know it)
It's not cold blood. Cold blood implies that you kill when you have an alternative. When there is no threat, or because it's convenient. That is not the circumstance here. He isn't killing in "cold blood" he's murdering someone because not to so do, would have horrific consequences. Since he didn't avoid the situation, he finds himself without any other choice. So he does what is required.

The story has been told. We need see no more into the mind of the MC. We know and he knows why. His earlier choices and those of his companions, placed him in the situation. Once there, only one choice was available. It has nothing to do about the temperature of his blood and everything to do with his ability to do an ugly act to protect EVERYONE and EVERYTHING he values.

In the end the threat of the plague trumps all. The island is lucky he was able to make the hard choice.

Reactions: Ragnar
May 3, 2022
OMG, Emily looks sadder and sadder with each update why can't we give her the dick to play with and let her be happy, eh. And pls when she gets to play with it let her be in her natural red head state.

Ragnar

Super User
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
I will skip your fantasies about soldiers and wars. I will talk about this game universe and context.
The boy scout kills a man without problems in a duel and fucks his girl like a champ after that.
Now he kills a cultist who was harassing his women and he got depression.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Demoness_Kiss

Forum Fanatic
Jun 9, 2017
I will skip your fantasies about soldiers and wars. I will talk about this game universe and context.
The boy scout kills a man without problems in a duel and fucks his girl like a champ after that.
Now he kills a cultist who was harassing his women and he got depression.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
different situations

the duel had both MC and the other guy, conscious about that the duel may kill one of them(also you have the choice to convince the other guy to surrender) basically...they knew the consequences and they were mentally prepared for it

The Inquisitor's death: it's a situation where if he didn't attack, his soon-to-be-wife and her bestfriend would have died

What induces MC into vomiting is the fact that he killed the Inquisitor like he was some sort of dangerous animal...also he killed him from behind. No mental preparation, no other solutions to solve this problem, he was forced...now he just needs to process this whole thing

4.30 star(s) 124 Votes