Unreal Engine - Project Extermination: Operation GroundZeroes [Phase 2 - 2023-07-16] [MATEYDEV]

1. 2.00 star(s)

kiDRetadoR

This review is addressed towards the pre proof of concept version, which is the latest version posted in this site.

Considering this is a pre proof of concept, it makes sense that the version is just so to give us an idea of what to expect but.. there are WAY too many things that could improve if the game keeps being developed

Let me start with the only positive thing, which isn't really all that positive.. the animations

The animations are mostly decent, they are a little clunky, at least the movements of them.. and while I do appreciate the different cameras so we could shift it to our own viewing pleasure, it didn't work the greatest in my opinion. The transitions between the getting fucked scene and the blowjob scene (should've been done in the opposite way in my opinion, first the blowjob and then getting fucked) is also clunky, and it's not very smooth.. takes a little bit to transition between scenes and the black screen while it transitions kind of ruins the scene.

Now, onto the more harsh aspects of this game, starting off by the menu.

The menu, while it looks simplistic, doesn't really work all that well. It takes a few clicks for your input to actually register when you're trying to select an option, making it a little bothersome to traverse through. Another thing is, the sliders.. you can technically control the sliders with A/D and while this in itself isn't all that bad, I think a better idea would be having the possibility to control the sliders with your mouse, as a mouse is much more precise than the keys on the keyboard and it makes for a much more precise range that you can set up to your liking.

The menu also lacks a few important options, such as having the possibility to remap keybindings, because I have to be honest.. the default key bindings are BAD.

Another problem in regards to the menus, and this time in-game, is the fact that you don't exactly have a binding to open your inventory.. you have to press ESCAPE + Click on Inventory for the inventory to open, which makes you lose time and time is of the essence in these sorts of games, you need to be able to act quick

And speaking of the inventory, you don't have much maneuverability when it comes to the inventory. What I refer by this is the fact that, you have to put each gun in a quick item slot yourself, which again, makes you lose a little bit of time if you do not do it in a safe area. Hell, I didn't even know I possessed a gun or how to even access it, so an indication for that would be nice to have. It also would be way more comfortable, as a player that has played many shooters before, to be able to access the guns by pressing 1 2 3 and such on the keyboard, even have the option to remap that to your personal preference as well would be cool.

And in those, you could maybe add healing items as well.. because it's also kind of bothersome to use them.

Now, in-game movement itself/combat. It's okay but there are certain things which are not really working properly

The special action button, which is bound to key V, does not work. I have tried pressing it several times and it didn't really do anything most of the time, the quick equip button also didn't really work, although that could be a me thing since I always had my weapons ready all of the time (after I discovered how to use them XD)

There's also a bug (I think it is a bug at least) where if you climbed up a surface once via holding E, if you want to climb that same surface up again you won't really be able to, the game won't allow it to. In my opinion, it would be a better idea if instead of holding E to climb, you could just jump and the character latches onto the surface, and you need to press space or up again to climb as it happens in shooters commonly.. it's more intuitive and smooth.

Combat itself is decent, except for the melee weapon.. The melee weapon is absolutely horrendous to use, mostly because of the auto-targeting system where if you aim at a zombie even once with it, you just can't un-aim.. it makes for a really frustrating experience in my opinion

UI is kind of okay-ish, although it would be appreciated if there was an indicator for which slider meant what.. there's a SUPER SMALL slider in the bottom left screen which is for stamina, you don't really know where your health bar is until you find out it is in your suit, Dead Space style.

Ammunition for the pistols is very lackluster and the aiming system is weird, the bullets don't exactly go where you're aiming, they go where the laser is being aimed at the moment

The dodge is.. bad, in my opinion.. I can see how the developer took inspiration from Resident Evil 3 Remake for the dodge but it's not very effective in this game. It could be polished some more to make it more satisfying and kind of time based as it is in Resident Evil 3 Remake, where it felt a little bit like playing Dark Souls especially during the final boss fight.

Either way, I digress.

Another thing that didn't really work that I forgot to mention during the menu, there seems to be character presets.. which adds a layer of customization to the game but, there was nothing really there? Probably a feature that might come into the future but it's a little bit of a tease to have a character tab where you expect at least minimum customization and then you have absolutely nothing.

I can't remember if there is one at the moment but another useful tool we could have in the menu is a sensitivity slider, because although the sensitivity wasn't exhuberantly fast, I still would've preferred to customize it more to my liking.

There's also the fact that the way the zombies's grab works to try and trigger the lewd scenes is MUCH too permissive at the moment.. you can pretty much escape all the time if you continuously click E, since the time it takes for the zombie to actually be able to tackle you down and start a scene is very high.. you can notice this by the heartbeat sound that is played in this scenario.

On an end note, I didn't really want to be too harsh on this review considering it's a pre proof of concept version but, there are way too many things that caught my attention and could be modified for the better. Hope the constructive criticism helps the dev improve his WIP game