ouch2020

Aug 11, 2020
You could demand a refund. They sold you a card that doesn't do the task for which they sold it to you.
Hmm, given Zorlun is from the European Union (not saying from where, though it is not a secret, he said more than once himself), if he bought it online and he is still in the original period, he can return it for a refund without need for justification (but I remember the base period is 14 days, unless a country extends it).
Or if he bought it from a shop where they know him and they are nice, can try to give it back and might accept it.

But the argument "a card that doesn't do the task for which they sold it to you" would fail miserably any reasonable legal check - it is a graphic card, and Zorlun himself said the rendering works fine, and nowhere is NVIDIA talking specifically about supporting dForce, nor I can imagine them ever doing so.
PhysX is a NVIDIA "thing", dForce is not, even in the eventuality that it tries to somehow use PhysX underneath, which I strongly doubt - I just saw on the Daz forum, someone had also dForce problems, on a 3080 Ti, with the error " Open CL notify: Unknown error executing clFlush on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti (Device 0)", OpenCL, not CUDA.
So, it seems it is not a problem with the 4090 and the driver, it is specifically with the drivers when the card is used in the way in which dForce tries to use it through OpenCL.

The suggestion on that forum was to rollback the drivers to a previous version, which knowing NVIDIA (have myself NVIDIA stuff), means actually uninstall the driver and then install the previous version, if it supported already the 4090.

ouch2020

Aug 11, 2020
Not an option, I simply don't have it anymore.
The thing is that before getting rid of the old one, I tested the 4090 to be sure it work, but sadly, I only tried rendering, at the moment it simply didn't occur to me that the dforce could not work, so like a nice simpleton friend I offered it to a good friend of mine thinking everything was ok... and it wasn't...
Not a simpleton, just a nice friend.

Incidentally, it depends on the space in your computer, power source and the manufacturer of the 4090 (and eventual 3080) you will get (in terms of units, there is the NVIDIA, and then the derived ones from other manufacturers), but if you end up deciding to get an older card (but careful, I saw a post about dForce problems with a 3080 Ti as well), you can always try to use the two cards in parallel.
It is not the NVlink kind of performance, but NVIDIA allows that - though I admit I know it can work well with CUDA, not sure about OpenCL (well, OpenCL itself yes, at least with some scientific libraries, but the OpenCL implementation by NVIDIA as used by DAZ, I don't know enough and never tried mysefl)

Suggestions that maybe you tried already, but one never knows...:

1) "Rollback" to a previous version of the drivers, with NVIDIA means uninstall and install the old version;

2) If you have a problem getting the old version of the driver, try to download the CUDA development envirnoment, and use that installer, CUDA installers come also with the driver, but it is in general a bit older, e.g. on the NVIDIA main download you get 522.30, CUDA 11.8 comes with 522.06 (and CUDA 11.8 does support 4090, so, it must work)

For point 2, you do not need even to install the full CUDA development environment, if you chose the "custom" install, you can select and deselect elements, and if I remember well, one of the elements is the drivers.

Reactions: Zorlun

Zorlun

Creating Naughtiness!
Donor
Game Developer
Feb 19, 2020
I've already tried everything possible with the 4090 with nvidia support technicians.

After that, returning to a 3080 (if the studio drivers still don't fix my problem), the solution wouldn't be hard, just installing older drivers isn't hard to do.

Reactions: Xeron_Xr and Demnor

Mikey_Boy101

Nov 8, 2020
Not a simpleton, just a nice friend.

Incidentally, it depends on the space in your computer, power source and the manufacturer of the 4090 (and eventual 3080) you will get (in terms of units, there is the NVIDIA, and then the derived ones from other manufacturers), but if you end up deciding to get an older card (but careful, I saw a post about dForce problems with a 3080 Ti as well), you can always try to use the two cards in parallel.
It is not the NVlink kind of performance, but NVIDIA allows that - though I admit I know it can work well with CUDA, not sure about OpenCL (well, OpenCL itself yes, at least with some scientific libraries, but the OpenCL implementation by NVIDIA as used by DAZ, I don't know enough and never tried mysefl)

Suggestions that maybe you tried already, but one never knows...:

1) "Rollback" to a previous version of the drivers, with NVIDIA means uninstall and install the old version;

2) If you have a problem getting the old version of the driver, try to download the CUDA development envirnoment, and use that installer, CUDA installers come also with the driver, but it is in general a bit older, e.g. on the NVIDIA main download you get 522.30, CUDA 11.8 comes with 522.06 (and CUDA 11.8 does support 4090, so, it must work)

For point 2, you do not need even to install the full CUDA development environment, if you chose the "custom" install, you can select and deselect elements, and if I remember well, one of the elements is the drivers.
Number 1 doesn't work. The Dev for Loser and Superpowered tried that to get dForce working but no luck.

I-No

Nov 20, 2021
Zorlun , as I understand it's just the rendering (with dforce) that doesn't work with your 4090. IMHO there is no need to buy an outdated and (still) expensive graphics adapter to replace that 4090. Sure, I wouldn't complain to see more about Myriams adventures ASAP, but as long as you continue to develop your story and keep creating scenes there is no loss at all. Sooner or later the rendering problem will be fixed by Nvidia, and with every week passing the next update will get bigger and bigger. I won't complain.
But ofc you have to listen to your paying supporters. In the end it's their opinion that counts...

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017
That is the issue, he can't produce his quality renders without it. So either Nvidia fix the problem soon or as mentioned he will need to buy another 30 series videocard.

fortuna95

Lezz kiss for peace!
Donor
Feb 7, 2018
1667950406786.png

Just finished this first draft of the main character of the next game project, the tough and stubborn red head 'hunter' Odessa.

For the setting it will be a mix of scfi and fantasy, the story developing in a near future with a touch of cyberpunk but with a touch of fantasy, so for those who know the reference, it will be more like Shadowrun.

She's not all done, it's just a first draft, but compared to Myriam she will be first smaller, she won't be towering over nearly all the characters like Myriam; she will be more athletic, the basis of the character is that she will be a fighter; she will be younger and with no kids, so less curvy than Myriam; she will be more punk and grunge for the clothes, being more of a tomboy and the setting being cyberpunk; and finally for the attitude and poses, as said before, more tomboyish, as well as more determined and mischievous.

For the character, she will be stubborn and adventurous, with a youthful energy and curiosity that will push her into her adventures. Raised by a single father, she will be as said before a bit tomboyish and have a little naive side about her femininity (though not as much as Myriam). She will start the game animated only by her ambition, without much interest for romance, but that's something the player will be able to adjust during the game, though the game will stay focused on her story.

For the naughty business, it won't be as rompus as Project Myriam, but she will be able to range the romances from male to female (and more) since the start (contrary to Myriam), there will be beside the romances, also some possibilities for casual naughtiness of course, but Odessa will be way more assertive than Myriam and will be less prone to being lead into it. Of course, the game having a scfi/fantasy setting, there will be a lot more weird naughtiness (of course it will be in the hand of the player, like for Project Myriam).

So, here for a first share of thoughts on the next project, though of course it's for now just thoughts, nothing set in stone.

To reassure those not reading the news, I'm NOT dropping Project Myriam, I'm just using the time I have as best as possible and since I can't work on Myriam right now, may as well work on the next best thing.

ouch2020

Aug 11, 2020
Number 1 doesn't work. The Dev for Loser and Superpowered tried that to get dForce working but no luck.
Well, I did it in the past myself and in that case it worked, but "rollback" with NVIDIA really means uninstall completely and reinstall, and I did not ask the new setup to remove, I removed/uninstalled, and only after used the setup of the old version to install it.
It seems they also have at tool to make sure to clean up anything left around by the NVIDIA drivers.
Plus, when I did it for my case at the time, I had still the previous version of the drivers that I was using and working fine, to which I could go back.
In this case, the problem is also when the bad interaction/bug with the OpenCL was introduced.

CUDA 11.8 supports the 4090, and CUDA 11.8 comes with driver 522.06, so it means driver 522.06 is supposed to support the 4090, and it is older than the latest driver (522.26 or 522.30, not sure anymore), which has the problem.
But I cannot say that is a sure working solution either, the version needed may be older, and maybe too much older.

On my main computer I have a NVIDIA card, but even if it is a TITAN, I have CUDA environment I installed for other stuff and for applications that are optimised for it, and I tend to stay clear of Geforce drivers, so I did not experience directly the problem, dForce works fine with my Titan V.
I had never realised Daz seems to talk to the card through OpenCL instead of CUDA for dForce, since for the rendering Iray being from NVIDIA uses CUDA and Daz indicates that, till when I saw the error message posted a few days ago on the Daz Forums about a 3080 (confirming it is not about the 4090 itself).

Just tried my bit to help Zorlun and Myriam getting out of the pit :)

I-No

Nov 20, 2021
[...] tough [...] stubborn [...] athletic [...] fighter [...] tomboy [...] more assertive [...] less prone [...] scfi/fantasy
That doesn't exactly sound like my cup of tea ...

[...] a lot more weird naughtiness [...] in the hand of the player [...] like for Project Myriam
... but I am sure, the autor of the magnificent Project Myriam can even turn red-haired lead into shining gold. I am looking forward to the new project even though it feels a little like being unfaithful to our "blond goddess of kink".

Viressa

May 24, 2018
Odessa's very different from Myriam and looks like she'll afford a very different style of game, but I like it, there's lots of "rape victim simulator" female protagonist games (though few of them have a hot MILF like Myriam), but very very few female protagonist games where the MC is much more butch and assertive. It's an untapped market, though it remains to be seen if it'll be as popular as Myriam is.

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017
View attachment 2156939

Just finished this first draft of the main character of the next game project, the tough and stubborn red head 'hunter' Odessa.

For the setting it will be a mix of scfi and fantasy, the story developing in a near future with a touch of cyberpunk but with a touch of fantasy, so for those who know the reference, it will be more like Shadowrun.

She's not all done, it's just a first draft, but compared to Myriam she will be first smaller, she won't be towering over nearly all the characters like Myriam; she will be more athletic, the basis of the character is that she will be a fighter; she will be younger and with no kids, so less curvy than Myriam; she will be more punk and grunge for the clothes, being more of a tomboy and the setting being cyberpunk; and finally for the attitude and poses, as said before, more tomboyish, as well as more determined and mischievous.

For the character, she will be stubborn and adventurous, with a youthful energy and curiosity that will push her into her adventures. Raised by a single father, she will be as said before a bit tomboyish and have a little naive side about her femininity (though not as much as Myriam). She will start the game animated only by her ambition, without much interest for romance, but that's something the player will be able to adjust during the game, though the game will stay focused on her story.

For the naughty business, it won't be as rompus as Project Myriam, but she will be able to range the romances from male to female (and more) since the start (contrary to Myriam), there will be beside the romances, also some possibilities for casual naughtiness of course, but Odessa will be way more assertive than Myriam and will be less prone to being lead into it. Of course, the game having a scfi/fantasy setting, there will be a lot more weird naughtiness (of course it will be in the hand of the player, like for Project Myriam).

So, here for a first share of thoughts on the next project, though of course it's for now just thoughts, nothing set in stone.

To reassure those not reading the news, I'm NOT dropping Project Myriam, I'm just using the time I have as best as possible and since I can't work on Myriam right now, may as well work on the next best thing.
Cyberpunk? Then i want some chrome there choom. :LOL: :LOL:

ouch2020

Aug 11, 2020
I've already tried everything possible with the 4090 with nvidia support technicians.

After that, returning to a 3080 (if the studio drivers still don't fix my problem), the solution wouldn't be hard, just installing older drivers isn't hard to do.
Actually, a work around came to mind, and yes, I know it will dilate the times to do the dForce simulations by n, but would still allow you to progress, even if it means that you will do for Christmas or even after would you woud normally have done for end of October.
If even using the 522.06 drivers does not help, set dForce to use the CPU for the simulation in Daz.

So, leaving the Iray (or other rendering engine you use) to use the 4090, and set the dForce to use the CPU for the dForce simulations.
It is in the "simulation settings" tab/window, in the "adavanced" tab, there you should see the "OpenCL device" (yes, I had never played with it, that's why I never realised before that for dForce Daz passes through OpenCL), you should see a list which includes both your graphic card and the CPU(s).
In general the thing that takes longer is anyway the rendering, not the dForce simulations (though this may be completely wrong of course in your case :), so I may writing BS :-D).
If that is the case, even if you lose time on the dForce simulation because the CPU is way slower than the GPU, you will still reap some advantage from having the newer faster 4090.

Zorlun

Creating Naughtiness!
Donor
Game Developer
Feb 19, 2020
Actually, a work around came to mind, and yes, I know it will dilate the times to do the dForce simulations by n, but would still allow you to progress, even if it means that you will do for Christmas or even after would you woud normally have done for end of October.
If even using the 522.06 drivers does not help, set dForce to use the CPU for the simulation in Daz.

So, leaving the Iray (or other rendering engine you use) to use the 4090, and set the dForce to use the CPU for the dForce simulations.
It is in the "simulation settings" tab/window, in the "adavanced" tab, there you should see the "OpenCL device" (yes, I had never played with it, that's why I never realised before that for dForce Daz passes through OpenCL), you should see a list which includes both your graphic card and the CPU(s).
In general the thing that takes longer is anyway the rendering, not the dForce simulations (though this may be completely wrong of course in your case :), so I may writing BS :-D).
If that is the case, even if you lose time on the dForce simulation because the CPU is way slower than the GPU, you will still reap some advantage from having the newer faster 4090.
That would be nice, but DAZ only offers me to use my GPU for dforce.

Reactions: DirtyMario

ouch2020

Aug 11, 2020
That would be nice, but DAZ only offers me to use my GPU for dforce.
Hmm, what version are you using ? With 4.21.0.5, you should get something similar to what you can see below.

In this case you see two cards, because my laptop has both an Intel integrated, and discrete NVIDIA chip (though an old and weak one, not really to be used for rendering complex images with Daz Studio) - you will probably have only the 4090 listed as graphic card.

But you should also see the CPU, you can see in the list it is listed on its own.

1668034104440.png

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
Hmm, what version are you using ? With 4.21.0.5, you should get something similar to what you can see below.

In this case you see two cards, because my laptop has both an Intel integrated, and discrete NVIDIA chip (though an old and weak one, not really to be used for rendering complex images with Daz Studio) - you will probably have only the 4090 listed as graphic card.

But you should also see the CPU, you can see in the list it is listed on its own.

View attachment 2158781
I just checked my own. In my system I have an AMD CPU and RTX3060 GPU, and all I get is the GPU option.
Screenshot 2022-11-09 184327.jpg

Could be the same with Zorlun, perhaps to do with AMD CPUs verses Intel?

DirtyMario

Jumping bitches since '85
Donor
Jul 19, 2017
I just checked my own. In my system I have an AMD CPU and RTX3060 GPU, and all I get is the GPU option.
View attachment 2158831

Could be the same with Zorlun, perhaps to do with AMD CPUs verses Intel?

View attachment 2158781
(Most) AMD CPUs do not come with an IGPU. Only Intel does that. Which is fine since very few use cases exist where you would need one. But all that aside, an integrated GPU would be orders of magnitude too weak to process any of these workloads efficiently.

You can get a proper Driver uninstaller (DDU) and Nvidia drivers going back years on . Although I have no idea if that's any help in this case.

Reactions: Night Hacker

ouch2020

Aug 11, 2020
Yes, that's what I have, my only choice is for the 4090.
Actually, it is still partially bizarre. OpenCL in itself does support the use of CPUs.

The problem is that the CPU must support its use as well, on its side. At least some AMD CPUs allow it, though I don't know what CPU you have.

Try to check on this web page, it is not an AMD official list, but if your CPU appears in the list, it should allow it.

But it's true that if your CPU does not appear in the list, then it may not be possible for you to use the CPU for dForce, though it does not depend from the GPU or from being AMD.

Try to tell us the CPU model you use, maybe we can find something out (or contact AMD and ask directly them, if you ask about dForce, they may have a clue, but if you ask about OpenCL, which is not DAZ-specific, they should be able to tell you).

Sorry, I admit I am getting short on suggestion...

4.40 star(s) 190 Votes