Hordragg

Lesser-Known Mesmer
Donor
Compressor
Apr 2, 2019
Reactions: L30

BigDaddyDom

Mar 4, 2020
I suppose it also has nothing to do with the fact that they're BOTH working on other titles while working on Radiant.
And? They take money and ask for more money claiming it will increase speed of updates, when that's not true. If you want to consider their other projects also then you have to add additional funding for those projects too - that means they are getting about $115,000 a year doing this! That much money, no excuses

A lot of people talk stuff without knowing any background information.
I have a lot of responsabilities that are present from before Radiant.
I do give Radiant priority but that doesn't mean I can just put everything else on hold...
I know. Anybody paying attention knows SirD is the one holding up Radiant, not you

Reactions: arms99

Konstantinus

Engaged Member
Feb 25, 2019
This game sounds like it gives me something that I did not know I really wanted it. Will download now to be sure to say, that you should please keep it up.

Alorth

The Creator
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 11, 2017
And? They take money and ask for more money claiming it will increase speed of updates, when that's not true. If you want to consider their other projects also then you have to add additional funding for those projects too - that means they are getting about $115,000 a year doing this! That much money, no excuses
I live in switzerland, the normal low worker salary is around 65.000 a year, so I'm actually having a normal salary at moment.

I know. Anybody paying attention knows SirD is the one holding up Radiant, not you
He isn't really holding up, all of our games are made with a lot of care and even more Radiant. Quality does take time and everyone knows that. Of course we ain't taking half a year for a update for Radiant, but you need to consider that it is hard to keep a high number of renders made per day, it ends up being random beetween 5 to 15 images, considering a release can be beetween 500 to 800 renders you can calculate more or less the time it takes.
So it would be way easier, me holding down Radiant than it being SirDammed, that being the reason why I still sometimes have to give up some sleep to keep it up.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
No excuses for not working hard. However, creative work cannot be sped up at will, much less so with losing quality. To quote the late Douglas Adams: "I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by".

Yes, there are some devs out there who seem to be milking, but that doesn't mean that every dev who does not update weekly is doing so. Have a little patience, this has barely started, so we don't even know what size the update will be when it hits. (There is a statement further up the thread though on what's planned, and that'd be quite a bit more than the "one update a week" crowd will offer.)

harem - king

Feb 26, 2018
Yes, there are some devs out there who seem to be milking, but that doesn't mean that every dev who does not update weekly is doing so. Have a little patience, this has barely started, so we don't even know what size the update will be when it hits. (There is a statement further up the thread though on what's planned, and that'd be quite a bit more than the "one update a week" crowd will offer.)
The statement by Alorth of making 5 to 15 images a day for 500-800 renders leads to an average (10 per day for 650 renders) of 65 days or a little over 2 months. Which isn't a terrible pace, I'd agree.

However we're nearly 3 months in and the latest status update was that graphics was 35% complete. I do hope you understand that people aren't asking for weekly updates.

Alorth

The Creator
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 11, 2017
The statement by Alorth of making 5 to 15 images a day for 500-800 renders leads to an average (10 per day for 650 renders) of 65 days or a little over 2 months. Which isn't a terrible pace, I'd agree.

However we're nearly 3 months in and the latest status update was that graphics was 35% complete. I do hope you understand that people aren't asking for weekly updates.
Yeah totally true :unsure:

By the way, something more off-topic and totally nothing to do with this, have you tried Tales From The Unending Void ?
The animations are amazing, episode four got released two weeks ago. It's from Perverteer and he tends to make a update every two months, so this is just an example.

Of course there were also other games released recently that I have totally nothing to do with. :geek:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

harem - king

Feb 26, 2018
Nah, I never bit into that one. I saw Futa/Trans and the green alien Twilek girl in the preview and noped right out. Are you saying that you're involved with the animations of that game then? Because Perveteer's website explicitly states that he is the sole creator of his games. Sisterly Lust was definitely more in my wheelhouse if you helped on that one. Otherwise, I'm not sure why you're bringing it up, but good luck to ya.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Hordragg

Pitrik

Conversation Conqueror
Donor
Oct 11, 2018
Nah, I never bit into that one. I saw Futa/Trans and the green alien Twilek girl in the preview and noped right out. Are you saying that you're involved with the animations of that game then? Because Perveteer's website explicitly states that he is the sole creator of his games. Sisterly Lust was definitely more in my wheelhouse if you helped on that one. Otherwise, I'm not sure why you're bringing it up, but good luck to ya.
You have animations thanks to Alorth

Reactions: L30 and MrFriendly

Konstantinus

Engaged Member
Feb 25, 2019
Okay after trying out the game I just say, it very good work but sadly nothing to me. It is just to sad so that my mental health can not take it.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019

Well, apart from the fact that you forgot about days off (like the thing non self-employed people call a "weekend", maybe even a "vacation") and similar, yes, that'd seem behind schedule. But with the other projects next to it, the fact that at this stage graphics probably aren't the only and first thing, and so forth, I'd say it's not as bad as you make it out to be. Also, I don't believe in progress bars or development percentages as a rule (the latter tend to go from 0% to 60% in two weeks, 80% after a month, 80% after 9 months, 85% after a year).

But I don't know, maybe you're right. You still seem kinda impatient to me in this respect, and we gotta agree to disagree here because I rather wait for a good product than get a hushed project meeting the deadline.

By the way, something more off-topic and totally nothing to do with this, have you tried Tales From The Unending Void ?
How the actual eff did I miss this update? Was it featured? Do I need to clean my glasses?

Reactions: Hordragg

mordred93

Jul 21, 2017
He isn't really holding up, all of our games are made with a lot of care and even more Radiant. Quality does take time and everyone knows that. Of course we ain't taking half a year for a update for Radiant, but you need to consider that it is hard to keep a high number of renders made per day, it ends up being random beetween 5 to 15 images, considering a release can be beetween 500 to 800 renders you can calculate more or less the time it takes.
So it would be way easier, me holding down Radiant than it being SirDammed, that being the reason why I still sometimes have to give up some sleep to keep it up.
I work in IT and there are 2 different phrases we use to describe projects (these games are projects) which apply to the time it takes to craft something new and creative.

* Every project has constraints in resources. Time, Quality, and Money. Pick two. You can never have all 3 in infinite supply and you have to compromise on the 3rd.
* Sometimes, things take as long as they take and throwing more resources at something doesn't make it happen faster. 1 pregnant woman will have a child in 9 months. Having 9 pregnant women simultaneously will not give you that child in 1 month.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
While we're at business platitudes (even if they're not wrong, they are platitudes):

"There is a 'P' in 'ASAP'"

Which I have to admit I use quite a lot myself. I pride myself on meeting deadlines and with quality work at that, but every so often you get something shoved in with unrealistic time schedules. Especially early in a project when you don't even understand how it's all going to be made, even if you've done similar stuff in the past.

Felicityskye

Jan 8, 2018
I work in IT and there are 2 different phrases we use to describe projects (these games are projects) which apply to the time it takes to craft something new and creative.

* Every project has constraints in resources. Time, Quality, and Money. Pick two. You can never have all 3 in infinite supply and you have to compromise on the 3rd.
* Sometimes, things take as long as they take and throwing more resources at something doesn't make it happen faster. 1 pregnant woman will have a child in 9 months. Having 9 pregnant women simultaneously will not give you that child in 1 month.
I agree with your first bullet point, which is a great point. But your analogy in your second bullet is a bad comparison.

1 woman can only pump out children every 9 months. But if the goal is 9 children, 9 pregnant women will get you to that goal faster than 1 woman pumping out 9 children.

If I needed to push out 1000 renders, having 10 dedicated PCs doing 100 each, will pump out all 1000 renders in a shorter time than 1 dedicated PC doing all 1000.

Reactions: HB38 and arms99

Osamabeenfappin

Nov 24, 2019
I'm not really tripping on this update thing. As long as they're coming out on a regular schedule it's all good.

Hammerhiem

May 7, 2020
Well that was a CM Punk level Pipe bomb.

For myself I don't care if the higher quality productions take longer, Games like Rebirth, Being a Dik, Becoming a Rockstar etc have a higher quality production and necessitate either longer lead times or shorter releases.

I've been waiting for 20 years for a wheel of time TV series, I can wait a couple of months for a Radiant chapter. This VN has teh potential to be S tier and i'd rather it wasn't fucked up by rushing it.

Hordragg

Lesser-Known Mesmer
Donor
Compressor
Apr 2, 2019
Thank you for the illuminating write-up, SirD!

I've said it before and I'll say it again: your game made quite an entrance and even in it's early stage rivals most of the competition in quality not only of the renders but also (and most importantly!) of the writing. The effort you and Alorth are putting into Radiant while also working on your respective solo projects (and putting in hours for third-party projects) does deserve nothing less than high praise. You rock!

iolkj

Nov 30, 2019
2) $115,000 a year? :KEK:
Well,
(5612 (RK Studios Patreon) + 382 (Radiant Subscribestar) + 1598 (Eternity Games Patreon) + 2012 (Alorth Patreon) * 12 month = 115248$/year

Now, I know this is not the full picture, especially since Patreon and Subscribestar take their share, but at least I think I see where he got the number.

EDIT: Ok, I admit, I read the wrong number on Subscribestar, it should be 277 which makes it 114k/year, but still close and I didn't include the Eternity Games Subscribestar (though that is just 20$/month?).

Reactions: SrRK

iolkj

Nov 30, 2019
Sure, I agree it's a misrepresentation. Just wanted to note that just from the raw numbers he's not totally off. And also, I'd totally agree that that amount, even if you could keep it in full, split to two people would probably not be enough for many people to quit their jobs if they live in one of the more expensive parts of the world. Especially given that you can't rely on that money over a long period of time.

Reactions: Cartageno and SrRK
4.30 star(s) 271 Votes