kidlat020

Jul 5, 2017
someone here simped for rance 8 and hated rance 9 (backread if you have to) and I now see why.

the lot of skits in 8 is just 10/10 writing. it easily obliterates 9 in every writing prowess imaginable. yeah 8 can be grindy, but cheat engine could fix it. it's a bit harder to cheat in 9 but not much.

one thing is for real: the lot of characters in 8 has a lot, and I mean A LOT of movement unlike in 9. the rance castle skits in 8 is just chef's kiss. no wonder 9 felt like a huge downgrade. I had the nagging feeling that kanami confessing to rance in 9 was a death flag to rance. well I was right in how 10 turned out.

All empires eventually fall. it's been a great 3 decades.

SymbolicSalad

Jan 7, 2020
Can't see any of what you're talking about at all. Rance 8 didn't really have good writing and the series as a whole has been going downhill writing wise since 3/4.

While the writing for 9 isn't amazing and the whole orb training scenes you have with all the women definitely feel disconnected from the actual story going on it manages to have the best cast by FAR and has a bunch of nice/fanservicey/cool moments that people, including me, have wanted to see for awhile.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

That, mixed with actually competent SRPG gameplay, definitely puts it ahead of most of the other games.

damjoker1

Sep 18, 2021
Anyone know who drops Dimension Hat and Fairy Lantern? I need some help with the final boss.

Edit: They drop from the sea monster boss and the hanny king. Once I got them both I was able to speedrun the final boss.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canes
Nov 23, 2019
Ah yes, Rance.

Rapist and piece of shit extraordinaire.

I wish there was a game where he's gender bended and he has to go through every single girl (which also grew a dick) he raped and ruined, one after the other. Best would be at the very end of his adventure, for maximum peerage and impact.
This legitimately sounds like a joke ending to one of the games. Are you some spy from Alicesoft?

SymbolicSalad

Jan 7, 2020
He was genderbended in Sengoku and he basically just runs off and gets himself killed because he doesn't have a cock anymore.

He was put into the body of a girl, though not genderbent, in 6 and ended up getting raped.

gradius

Feb 17, 2018
in sengoku rance there was that one temple where you could transform your unit leader mostly npc leaders to female or male and rance was one of the options too

Zakkuri

Jan 16, 2018
Can't see any of what you're talking about at all. Rance 8 didn't really have good writing and the series as a whole has been going downhill writing wise since 3/4.

While the writing for 9 isn't amazing and the whole orb training scenes you have with all the women definitely feel disconnected from the actual story going on it manages to have the best cast by FAR and has a bunch of nice/fanservicey/cool moments that people, including me, have wanted to see for awhile.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

That, mixed with actually competent SRPG gameplay, definitely puts it ahead of most of the other games.
Rance 8's writing was very good, it was the plot that was the problem. Each of its scenes was crafted very well, and highlighted the strengths of each character, even if they, overall, didn't do anything in the plot. and that's exactly what Rance 9 is as well, just without the charm and likeability that 8 had.

I'll admit, the prospect of a high number of males in Rance was intriguing at first, mostly because Rance doesn't want anything to do with dudes. Most of them come into conflict with him due to his behaviour, however, literally, everyone in the resistance watched Rance do war crimes and had zero to say about it. They also don't do anything in the plot. When Shiela and her Stockholm syndrome is revealed, big bro is like "Happy for you sis". Zero conflict whatsoever. That's boring writing, a clear showcasing of the writer's unwillingness to do anything interesting in Rance 9 because he needs all the characters for X.

The one thing that has held the Rance series back is the fact that Rance doesn't seem to go up against enemies that are too much for him anymore. He's lost his agent of chaos status because he's no longer a random who shows up and performs far above his ability - the one thing that has been able to secure him victory throughout the story.

In no game does this show more than Rance 9. When Rance has nobody that can pose a threat to him until the very, very end, with an asspull boss that everyone immediately forgot about afterwards, then how can it be a good plot? In 8, at least the curse was a threat to Rance, not to mention Reset becoming a frequent target. But in 9, what am I supposed to be fighting for?

9 could just not exist and nobody would notice the difference to the story. This is not the same when considering 1, 3, 6, 7 or even 8 - all of which are amongst the best Rance games besides X. Rance doesn't even have much of a relationship with Sheila because Sheila has zero personality. I thought Magic's romance with Rance was bad, lmao.

Last edited:

Greslux

Apr 24, 2022
There's a special cauldron in hell for people who make such long intros with one line for 5 seconds.

lamba

Jul 10, 2018
I had the nagging feeling that kanami confessing to rance in 9 was a death flag to rance. well I was right in how 10 turned out.
Rance 8 and 9 sold fine. The problem is that the dev team behind the Rance franchise is / was getting old. They'd announced that the Rance franchise was wrapping up way back in 2010- this was a year before Rance 8 even shipped.

TADA- the guy who came up with Rance in the first place- was getting on in years and was looking for a way to pass the torch onto the younger members of Alicesoft. Alicesoft is very much the kind of company where they have people working on their own game ideas, not one where you're stuck working on the legacy project of someone who was there decades prior. After Rance 10 shipped, TADA went into semi-retirement. Now-days he actually spends his time releasing patches for the old freeware Rance titles.

1tomadeira

Engaged Member
May 25, 2017
Unfortunely I'm not able at all to win the final battle. I always reach the part where it says Patton is the one that can destroy it, but I can't last that long. Is there any specific strategy I need to apply?

lamba

Jul 10, 2018
Unfortunely I'm not able at all to win the final battle. I always reach the part where it says Patton is the one that can destroy it, but I can't last that long. Is there any specific strategy I need to apply?
If you can't even survive that long your characters are probably under leveled.

4.50 star(s) 19 Votes