4.10 star(s) 194 Votes

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
Vampire the Masquerade is a self admitted inspiration for the authors of this novel. What it is not, is a 1:1 transposition or source of the legends. What they are using is the mechanics, more or less.
This means vampires that are closer to the head of their clan generation wise (if a vampire makes you a vampire, you are 1 generation higher than they are, so in this system the goal is to go low) are tougher and higher generation are not.
Some of the powers are similar
All of the myth have been tossed. They do not want a law suit, and acknowledging inspiration is not a tort's law offense.

As far as the rest of what I wrote, it has been the result of conversations with the authors, and the sharing of our theory crafting on here.
No one as far as I know is forcing the dev to do anything, nor claiming such. My bolds are what has been confirmed so far.

This is a good chapter for a lot of this since we will be getting a lot more info on our character's powers, clan etc, and more on Vision Girl.
Peace
Thank you for the information.

Reactions: Arigon

Arigon

Engaged Member
Aug 27, 2020
This thought has occurred to me as well. The longer we go without an enemy "queen" on the level of Calisto making an appearance, the more I wonder if the initial assumption that Calisto and our Dream Girl are on the same side was premature, especially since you've been informed by Likesblondes that Dream Girl isn't Calisto's sire or grandsire.
Yes, this has been on my mind since I have not found a single shred of a clue that Calisto is watching over Vision Girl in her torpor and rising. Who is there in that location that might have Calisto's overwatch? Possibly the thing we caught a glimpse of and VG seemed to warn the MC from further investigation? That may well be Calisto's burden?

As for the enemy queen to oppose Calisto, I am still leaning towards Virgil being Calisto's bad experience first childe, back for round 2 to try and diablerize her.

Thoughts?

Peace

Tserriednich'sNen

Engaged Member
Jan 16, 2020
As for the enemy queen to oppose Calisto, I am still leaning towards Virgil being Calisto's bad experience first childe, back for round 2 to try and diablerize her.
Nah, the main reason why Calisto is fascinated with or rather so invested in MC is because he's managed survived this long when her previous off-springs haven't . If she had sire someone who's survived long enough to become an elder that would have been told to us by either her or Fabian.

Arigon

Engaged Member
Aug 27, 2020
Nah, the main reason why Calisto is fascinated with or rather so invested in MC is because he's managed survived this long when her previous off-springs haven't . If she had sire someone who's survived long enough to become an elder that would have been told to us by either her or Fabian.
So the Calisto theory crafting done by all of us was judged and found to be very close to the mark. Surprisingly so, according to LikesBlondes and Ptolemy in separate conversations. A part of that was a single childe which did not go well. Fabian says that he is surprised she bred again, that he never thought she would do that again.

People read too much into how long it took for the MC to make the transition. Add to that Sharon tells the MC "We all go through it" when he was finally dying. It took longer due to the more massive changes that the powerful vitae had in it, compared to the weak vitae that Sharon is used to. Calisto doesn't have a higher mortality rate for her childer.

I believe, and am supported by the above, that she had a childe. The myths speak of a childe of Calisto who hunted her, (Arcan/Arcus depending on where you read it) Both Calisto and the Arcan were blessed or cursed with this hunt, after Calisto was given the bear form by Hera. Zeus stopped it and to symbolize it, set Calisto as the constellation Ursa Major and her son as Ursa Minor.

So putting all that together, I believe that she sired a son (Arcan/Arcus/Plubius/Virgil), he tried to kill her. He failed. Fabian is relating astonishment regarding her allowing herself to breed again given the previous bad experience.

Peace

• Red Heart
Reactions: Warscared

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
So the Calisto theory crafting done by all of us was judged and found to be very close to the mark. Surprisingly so, according to LikesBlondes and Ptolemy in separate conversations. A part of that was a single childe which did not go well. Fabian says that he is surprised she bred again, that he never thought she would do that again.

People read too much into how long it took for the MC to make the transition. Add to that Sharon tells the MC "We all go through it" when he was finally dying. It took longer due to the more massive changes that the powerful vitae had in it, compared to the weak vitae that Sharon is used to. Calisto doesn't have a higher mortality rate for her childer.

I believe, and am supported by the above, that she had a childe. The myths speak of a childe of Calisto who hunted her, (Arcan/Arcus depending on where you read it) Both Calisto and the Arcan were blessed or cursed with this hunt, after Calisto was given the bear form by Hera. Zeus stopped it and to symbolize it, set Calisto as the constellation Ursa Major and her son as Ursa Minor.

So putting all that together, I believe that she sired a son (Arcan/Arcus/Plubius/Virgil), he tried to kill her. He failed. Fabian is relating astonishment regarding her allowing herself to breed again given the previous bad experience.

Peace
Well we will see and should likely know more at end of chapter 3. It would make sense if the vampire Queen opponent or burden of C would be introduced or revealed later in this chapter and rest of game will be dealing with that fallout. It could also be that the danger was introduced in last update or what is guarding that danger. That might be related to the mythological Arcus as you think or something different.

Other option is what you mentioned is that C will be the enemy, well then our MC is basically fucked unless Vision Girl will directly interfere. C knows exactly what MC is, has a powerbase and strong allies and all the experience our MC misses and then I am not even talking about fact she is way more powerful as our poor MC.

A story line where C might wish to pass her burden over to MC in time though I could easily see and her grooming him for that position, remember Vision Girl was talking about a he that MC would have to face, well that does not sound like C. We also know that C was somewhat caught by the boredom for a while already, it may well be time for a rest for her, but nobody around she could trust with her burden.

Just the question is if Vision Girl and C have contradicting or goals that at least somewhat converge and whether there is a relation between them somehow, even if VG is not her direct sire. Another question that when answered may shed some light on what is going on in game might be why did VG aid in the creation of MC in the first place. A vampire that old you would expect to have some very powerful childe/descendants around that she could send in. So does she have no childe or is it VG that has a descendant hunting her/is the danger instead of C and that is why she takes an interest and even may help C? Just speculating a bit. :p

Reactions: Arigon

Arigon

Engaged Member
Aug 27, 2020
Well we will see and should likely know more at end of chapter 3. It would make sense if the vampire Queen opponent or burden of C would be introduced or revealed later in this chapter and rest of game will be dealing with that fallout. It could also be that the danger was introduced in last update or what is guarding that danger. That might be related to the mythological Arcus as you think or something different.

Other option is what you mentioned is that C will be the enemy, well then our MC is basically fucked unless Vision Girl will directly interfere. C knows exactly what MC is, has a powerbase and strong allies and all the experience our MC misses and then I am not even talking about fact she is way more powerful as our poor MC.

A story line where C might wish to pass her burden over to MC in time though I could easily see and her grooming him for that position, remember Vision Girl was talking about a he that MC would have to face, well that does not sound like C. We also know that C was somewhat caught by the boredom for a while already, it may well be time for a rest for her, but nobody around she could trust with her burden.

Just the question is if Vision Girl and C have contradicting or goals that at least somewhat converge and whether there is a relation between them somehow, even if VG is not her direct sire. Another question that when answered may shed some light on what is going on in game might be why did VG aid in the creation of MC in the first place. A vampire that old you would expect to have some very powerful childe/descendants around that she could send in. So does she have no childe or is it VG that has a descendant hunting her/is the danger instead of C and that is why she takes an interest and even may help C? Just speculating a bit. :p
So much potential in this quote.....

The Calisto-MC dynamic should be fairly well established as sire and childe, but what is more intriguing would be if VG somehow is interrupting that. Of course, having Arcus being Virgil and coming to attack the MC's sire is not excluded, but what if Virgil has the patronage and training, and blood skills of VG's enemy, which Calisto has walked away from, and somehow VG is manipulating it all to draw out her enemy, and have the MC be a distraction by killing Virgil, Calisto being a further distraction by fighting the enemy for her own reasons, and thus drawing the MC in after he has drained Virgil, gained tons of knowledge, and is far more formidable. Generation lowering is not the only benefit to Amaranth. Knowledge, skills, disciplines and more can be transferred.

I am going to reflect on this some. We have good stuff in there.
Peace.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: DA22 and Warscared

Warscared

Jan 26, 2021
So much potential in this quote.....

The Calisto-MC dynamic should be fairly well established as sire and childe, but what is more intriguing would be if VG somehow is interrupting that. Of course, having Arcus being Virgil and coming to attack the MC's sire is not excluded, but what if Virgil has the patronage and training, and blood skills of VG's enemy, which Calisto has walked away from, and somehow VG is manipulating it all to draw out her enemy, and have the MC be a distraction by killing Virgil, Calisto being a further distraction by fighting the enemy for her own reasons, and thus drawing the MC in after he has drained Virgil, gained tons of knowledge, and is far more formidable. Generation lowering is not the only benefit to Amaranth. Knowledge, skills, disciplines and more can be transferred.

I am going to reflect on this some. We have good stuff in there.
Peace.
killing a human affects your humanity path, right? is it same if you diablarize another vampire? i was gonna say you take a life but... its really taking an unlife! probably saving hundreds a year if its a powerful enough vampire that requires a feeding chain of other vampires as one of the oldies would!

• Thinking Face
Reactions: DA22

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
killing a human affects your humanity path, right? is it same if you diablarize another vampire? i was gonna say you take a life but... its really taking an unlife! probably saving hundreds a year if its a powerful enough vampire that requires a feeding chain of other vampires as one of the oldies would!
I would suspect the answer is yes if for a different reason, you take over a lot of the skills and knowledge of other and likely even a part of past and soul. So if you diablerize an old one not on human path, I think it would lower your humanity with all the other things you would take over even if the intentions would be good and not lower your humanity anyway if just for power.

Reactions: Warscared and c3p0

-Hex-

Purging Heresy
Donor
Compressor
Sep 18, 2017

Progress update
Hey

We're working on the new update, of course. Mostly working on the image creation side of things. We'll have a couple of new locations in this update.
It's all going well so far.
One more thing. I've had to travel for the last few days, and I got a little behind when it comes to answering messages. I'm back home now, and I think I'm all caught up. But if for some reason I might have missed you, just send me a PM.

Best regards
Likesblondes

JJJ84

Engaged Member
Dec 24, 2018
Looking forward to the new locations we'll get to visit in this update.

Probably too soon for the new club to be ready, so I wonder which places we'll see?

Last edited:

Arigon

Engaged Member
Aug 27, 2020
Humanity questions-
Killing a human can cause a loss of humanity. It is mechanically not guaranteed, especially as you lose humanity. The lower your humanity gets, the harder it is to lose, because things just don't trigger someone if they are a sociopath verses a normal person. Most vampires are sociopathic to greater or lesser degrees. Sharon, who is trying very hard to maintain her humanity is an example of someone who would lose humanity by draining a human dry, or a vampire dry.

Diablerie/Amaranth
This is a life altering event. One can easily become addicted to doing it. It is hard to express how much it can affect a person, but I will try.
The first part of the act is selecting your victim. Usually for some type of gain, either knowledge and abilities, or lowering your generation. It is possible to have more than one vampire participate in this, if the proposed victim is significantly more potent than any of the Diablerists.
Second is the pacification, usually by staking through the heart. This allows the victim to retain consciousness but lose the ability to move. If the vampire victim is very powerful, further methods of securing them might be necessary. Some gruesome ones are removal of limbs, removing eyes and tongue, nailing them to the ground or secure surface with large spikes etc.

Third, drinking the vitae, draining all of the vitae starts the diablerie process. Once that is complete, the diablerist continues to struggle with the victim in a war for their soul's blood. The victim makes opposing rolls of the dice to resist this. If the diablerist can not complete this, then the victim will go into torpor and remain there until healed. So assuming that the diablerist wins, they suck the soul's blood, along with the knowledge, lowering of generation and or gaining powers, and erasing the existence of the victim. No soul to go into the Wraith game. No afterlife. Devoured by the diablerists. Now if the victim is sufficiently powerful... it is possible that they destroy the will of their murderer and take over their body. (usually 4th generation and lower) As an example that is not in Rebirth but is in VtM, both Augustus Giovanni and the wizard lord Tremere failed to properly diablerize their targets. (Giovanni-Cappadocius, Tremere-Salout).

I suspect that if any of the vampires we have seen were to attempt to commit diablerie on Vision Girl, she would either resist them or take them over.

The above takes a very serious toll on humanity. In VtM there were multiple paths that were in existence (prior to 5th edition which is SHIT) that functioned like humanity to stave off the beast inside all vampires. Some were even pro diablerie and pro devouring and extinguishing human life. These vampires could seem to be "normal" to a degree, but were often quite alien to the human mind.

New locations-
I am betting we do see the start of the new Night Club. Also I am betting we see City Hall or where ever the power structure of the town is held. I am also betting that Sharon has plans to make Scottstown into a much bigger burb than it currently is.
The other possibilities I can think of is a completely reworked home for Sharon, the Nos hide out, the MC's private place, since he probably needs one to keep Laurie and Sharon off each other.

Have a great Cinco de Mayo!
Peace

Reactions: Ayhsel and -Hex-

GamerQueen

Sep 9, 2019
I played Ep.2 but at the end it's not showing to save.
Now I can't play Ep.3 It's keep saying that It looks like you haven't finished the second part.
Now What should I do? :(

Babalon

Dec 19, 2019
when will Laurie start to manifest some powers and strength if i remeber correctly thrall gain somthing and especially if MC have juicy powerful blood :D

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
when will Laurie start to manifest some powers and strength if i remeber correctly thrall gain somthing and especially if MC have juicy powerful blood :D
well sharon's thrall doesn't have any powers so could be never.

Arigon

Engaged Member
Aug 27, 2020
It has already happened. Sharon's thrall is stronger than a normal man, and lives a long life. Laurie has already picked up a spidey sense of trouble. Not full visions, but her hesitation and asking if they couldn't feel that "something" that she could because she is picking up some fraction of the prescient nature of the MC through his powerful blood. She will likely have many more powers than Andrew, and could actually give Sharon some shit, if we get that long time wise, to have time pass. Whether we do or not, she is already getting "something". GREAT question.
Peace

4.10 star(s) 194 Votes