4.10 star(s) 58 Votes

Kytolo Braven

Jul 3, 2017
This game is really well done except that the inability to skip messages efficiently combined with the lack of the save option between versions is getting realllllllllyyyyyy old. Not to mention that the "Continue from the last patch" option never actually just lets you continue from the last patch...

Makes the game feel really unplayable.

SLDR

Uploader
Modder
Aug 5, 2016
This game is really well done except that the inability to skip messages efficiently combined with the lack of the save option between versions is getting realllllllllyyyyyy old. Not to mention that the "Continue from the last patch" option never actually just lets you continue from the last patch...

Makes the game feel really unplayable.
Agreed. I like the art and the writing, but the game's UX is awful. It feels so clunky and slow and disjointed. The worst part is the way crashes are handled. Ren'Py will throw you an exception error screen that tells you two things: 1) that something went wrong, so you're not just stuck guessing, and 2) exactly what went wrong, so you can even fix it yourself if you're savvy. In these Unity VNs, the game will just freeze and you just have to start over, which is not fun when the save system sucks and there's no skipping.

I have the same problem with Something Unlimited. These Unity VNs are overengineered to the point that you can feel it while playing. And it sounds like Unity is harder to work with than Ren'Py so you have to wonder why'd they even choose Unity for a VN.

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
Agreed. I like the art and the writing, but the game's UX is awful. It feels so clunky and slow and disjointed. The worst part is the way crashes are handled. Ren'Py will throw you an exception error screen that tells you two things: 1) that something went wrong, so you're not just stuck guessing, and 2) exactly what went wrong, so you can even fix it yourself if you're savvy. In these Unity VNs, the game will just freeze and you just have to start over, which is not fun when the save system sucks and there's no skipping.

I have the same problem with Something Unlimited. These Unity VNs are overengineered to the point that you can feel it while playing. And it sounds like Unity is harder to work with than Ren'Py so you have to wonder why'd they even choose Unity for a VN.
My guess on using Unity for this project would be two things: Ferdafs has done other games in Unity, so they are familiar with it. Second, the animations. These are done in Live2D, and Live2D doesn't work with Ren'py (yet? it looks like support might be coming though). So probably sticking with what they know?

Fungus, the script running the VN part of the game in Unity, actually has a lot of the same features as Ren'py (I don't know how well they work), but according to it's documentation things like back, skip, and save anywhere are all supported. I don't know when features like that got added to Fungus or what version of Fungus the game is running, so maybe they aren't available, or maybe Ferdafs chose not to use them? Renpy dev's turn stuff off all the time.

Still, I agree, Renpy would have been a better way to do this game.

Kytolo Braven

Jul 3, 2017

I've definitely played some Unity VNs that have both working save and skip function. IIRC, he said he was going to fix the save function way back when it first started, but then after he implemented the "from the last patch" feature, that seemed to just go right out the window. Frustrating. Really want to support him, but this is hard to swallow--especially when there's a version of this game that's a few days/weeks behind that fixes all this by putting it in Renpy (not to mention makes it way more user friendly).

I definitely feel you on Something Unlimited. The amount of grind (everything needs to be done 3 times to advance ffs!) is unbearable anymore. The amount of button mashing required to play that game, you'd think it was actually Injustice.

4.10 star(s) 58 Votes