Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
how are you able to make/update/edit this game
I'm using both the to run/build the game, and PyCharm (IDE) to write the rpy files. Especially when making alterations, the SDK is a good way to run the game, since it allows auto reload (shift+r) and script validations. IDE is a bit overkill, but I use it for work so I'm familiar with it, and it has some nice features to help speed up development in some places.

Also, how do I see all the expressions? In images_characters.rpy, I am able to see the names for all the expressions and stances, but is there a way to see the expression/stance without having to restart the game and go to the specific scene?
I have this cheat sheet to help me remember what expressions are which number:
expression_sheet.png
I just keep it open while posing characters. It's only face stuff, so for less used costumes or poses, I often have to dive into the images or image definition file to get specific names. There is no "pose viewer" in the game. I might add one some day if there is enough interest.

If you do decide to use the Renpy SDK, using shift + r will set the game into auto reload, updating images and scripts on the fly as they change. A word of warning, script reloads can take a LONG time as they all have to be checked and recompiled.

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
r3.6J Progress Report #2 - SEPT 22 @ 3:50 UTC (Task List)
Have reached the end of work for today. Overall, slower progress then I wanted, but moving along. One of the many reasons I'm not thrilled with episode copy scene type is that screen grabs don't slice nicely, which means I have to do them by hand, and even then they are a mess. And while there aren't too many of them, they just take hours of my life.

I've spent the vast majority of today just doing image prep, and I still have more to do (but not tonight)! Hopefully I'll be able to wrap it up tomorrow and start scene implementation.

bob_bit123

Dec 3, 2020
r3.6J Progress Report #2 - SEPT 22 @ 3:50 UTC (Task List)
Have reached the end of work for today. Overall, slower progress then I wanted, but moving along. One of the many reasons I'm not thrilled with episode copy scene type is that screen grabs don't slice nicely, which means I have to do them by hand, and even then they are a mess. And while there aren't too many of them, they just take hours of my life.

I've spent the vast majority of today just doing image prep, and I still have more to do (but not tonight)! Hopefully I'll be able to wrap it up tomorrow and start scene implementation.
If you need a break, take a second to check out S6E03 (the newest one), lots of fun possibilities for Ferd and you.

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
If you need a break, take a second to check out S6E03 (the newest one), lots of fun possibilities for Ferd and you.
Not sure why you think I wouldn't have already watched the most recent episode, but I have (I watch them the day they come out), and I've talked about it already too (albeit in the Unity thread). The big issue with Space Beth is that there is no setup for her in game. Yeah, she could show up out of nowhere, and say something like the previous Rick cloned her (and probably will, with another ripped episode (sigh) scene), but part of the reason she works in the show is her setup, which the game is lacking.

If she does appear in game (and, again, I would be shocked if she didn't at some point), then she is just another version of Beth, like Fascist Beth or Hooker Beth. She isn't a main character I (personally) care much about. Yeah, she looks like Beth but there is no story element to her that has been established over the course of the game.

So do I want her? Eh, I wouldn't be unhappy with her in game (there is very little that is added to this game I would say I'm ever unhappy with (other than my own garbage art), but if it is another ripped from the episode scene, I would be less thrilled with it.

Also, I have been on "break" for more than a month, not sure I need one just yet.

bob_bit123

Dec 3, 2020
Not sure why you think I wouldn't have already watched the most recent episode, but I have (I watch them the day they come out), and I've talked about it already too (albeit in the Unity thread). The big issue with Space Beth is that there is no setup for her in game. Yeah, she could show up out of nowhere, and say something like the previous Rick cloned her (and probably will, with another ripped episode (sigh) scene), but part of the reason she works in the show is her setup, which the game is lacking.

If she does appear in game (and, again, I would be shocked if she didn't at some point), then she is just another version of Beth, like Fascist Beth or Hooker Beth. She isn't a main character I (personally) care much about. Yeah, she looks like Beth but there is no story element to her that has been established over the course of the game.

So do I want her? Eh, I wouldn't be unhappy with her in game (there is very little that is added to this game I would say I'm ever unhappy with (other than my own garbage art), but if it is another ripped from the episode scene, I would be less thrilled with it.

Also, I have been on "break" for more than a month, not sure I need one just yet.
Ahh yeah I don't look at the unity thread at all. You said you've been busy/traveling so I wasn't sure if you had caught it. Glad you got to watch though. Also totally agree with your sentiment about retreads of show episode with sex. Ferd def shines when he's creating and expanding the world into new territory. I'm a fan of the Jessica core story because it's one of the few we haven't seen fully play out yet (unlike beth or summer), but his last update felt a bit lazy and kind of just copy pasted from the ep.

Reactions: Night Mirror

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
r3.6J Progress Report #3 - SEPT 22 @ 16:25 UTC (Task List)
Finished up the slicing from yesterday. Scene 3 wasn't too bad (a LOT less show screen caps, so fewer slicing image errors). Starting in on scene 1 of 3 (which I think should be fast, since it is very short). The tricky part is working in this new scene with the existing content, but I have a pretty good plan on how to get it to fit (that's what she said).

If you're curious (and want spoiler on the layout) you can check out the current scene plan below. Note that things may shuffle around as I work on it trying to get it to flow.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Anyhow... back to work. Stay awesome!

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
r3.6J Progress Report #4 - SEPT 22 @ 21:05 UTC (Task List)
Scene 1 of 3 completed. It is by far and away the shortest part, so I expected it to be done quickly. It has been sent out to the editors for review while I start work on scene 2. Hopefully I'll be able to get scene 2 completed today as well. If all goes as expected I should have all the scenes in by the end of Friday~ish, then some work over the weekend.

While I still don't have a firm release date yet, I'm thinking maybe the 26th? As always I'll give more accurate times as I get closer and know how much is left.

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
r3.6J Progress Report #5 - SEPT 23 @ 5:20 UTC (Task List)
And scene 2 of 3 done! I've sent it out for editing, but I'm done for the day. Will be back at tomorrow with scene #3.

Lot of little extra things in this one that made it feel like it took forever (first pass QC was especially rough with a bazillion little errors).

I have one more possible alteration I want to make, but I'd like to get some feedback on it before I devote a lot of time to it (WARNING, SPOILERS below, don't expand if you want to be surprised when you play):

Anyhow, not much else to add as I work away on this, stay awesome!

mare222

Jan 24, 2018
And scene 2 of 3 done! I've sent it out for editing, but I'm done for the day. Will be back at tomorrow with scene #3.

Lot of little extra things in this one that made it feel like it took forever (first pass QC was especially rough with a bazillion little errors).

I have one more possible alteration I want to make, but I'd like to get some feedback on it before I devote a lot of time to it (WARNING, SPOILERS below, don't expand if you want to be surprised when you play):

i like the options

aaronminus

Oct 13, 2021

I like red, but either works.

Perniciousducks

Aug 21, 2018

I’m leaning towards the citrus fruit themed color… hopefully that’s vague enough :D

4.90 star(s) 99 Votes