Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
r3.8 Progress Report #10 - MAY 8 @ 21:45 UTC (Task List)
I know it feels like things are taking longer than normal, and that is mostly because they are. If you are wondering what the heck the hold up is, that is on me for being a bit too vague about what it is we are doing at the moment. This post is going to talk a little bit about the current process, but if you just want to know when the update is coming out, the answer is still... soon(tm).

So what is the current hold up?

Simply put, we aren't done with editing. It is easy to think (mostly because it's what I imply in my posts) that this process should be a few hours at most, just fixing a some typos, or missing punctuation. But finding "mistakes" is actually the smallest part of what happens in the editing process.

First, very briefly, this is how I put updates together (very, very simplified). I get the game files, I pull out all the assets (image, text, animations), I do some black magic on them (slicing), I program those elements into the Renpy game, using Unity as a guide for where to put what, and then I play the new scenes a few times, and maybe add some little extras here and there. This has been the process since I first started, but for a long time it's been mostly just me, working on whatever time I could/wanted to allot to the project.

While having just me doing stuff can make things fast (I'm the only person I have to wait on (and if I want things to be faster, I can just sleep less)), it also makes them less... good. While I wouldn't go so far as to say my original work on this project was terrible, it has noticeably improved (at least I think so) since I had other people step in to help.

And I'm no longer working completely alone.

Things changed last year when aaronminus and kimlana joined in to help fix some of the dialogue mistakes littered all throughout the game. Unfortunately, kimlana didn't stay on very long, but aaronminus has stuck around and been working with me on the project ever since. But what are they actually doing?

While finding typos, missing punctuation, and grammatical errors is a part of it, it's actually the smallest part. A lot of time is spent improving some of the, uh... less good dialogue (either from me or Ferdafs). Taking things like (not actual lines from the update, so no spoilers here, just an example of line changes) "You thrust into your mom." into something more like "Holding your mother's hips you thrust in and out of her soaking wet pussy." As well as having things make more sense, or updating dialogue in other spots of reflect new events placed into past days.

But this dose have a time trade off to it. My forward progress is now dependent on someone else, and their own time constraints. I can't put in revisions to a scene if I don't have those changes.

So, what the heck is taking so long?!

The very short answer is, we have lives that don't revolve around this game. It get's worked on as time permits. In the past I have pushed for shorter deadlines, but this really isn't fair to aaronminus who has to crunch to get that work done. Or, I have to forgo improvements and put out a lower quality game.

Yes, we are taking a bit longer here, but the trade off is that we aren't burning out to have the game ready a few days sooner.

There is a silver lining.

Usually I'm in such a hurry to get it done right now, as fast as I can, go-go-go-go! That I don't add some extras I might otherwise do. Case in point, while I've been waiting on revisions, I've added a number of extras. Two additional animations, some choices, and the major feature for Wild Summer I talked about in the previous progress report.

Without the more relaxed pace of editing this go around, I most likely would have not done any of these, and the update would be out right now, full of typos and at a lower quality. Sure, we could fix them in the next update, but then you're playing a lower quality scene as your first experience with it, and players might never go back and see any of the improvements.

At the end of the day, the question is, is it worth taking more time? And (again, at least for me) the answer is yes, or I wouldn't be doing it. I think a better quality is worth waiting for, and not pushing ourselves to the quitting point is also important.

Also, importantly, unlike many other devs, I'm not just going to be silent and vanish into the night, giving you no hope that anything is being done. We are working on it, I'm working on it right now! It just isn't ready yet.

Anyhow... I know that was another long rambling post... but I'm very excited to get this out to you all, and we are going not as fast as we can, but at a pace that won't burn us out. Thanks for staying awesome!

bcgibson

Mar 5, 2022
It’s says it animated but doesn’t say anything in the notes about how many of them compared to images and I can’t find any samples online.

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
It’s says it animated but doesn’t say anything in the notes about how many of them compared to images and I can’t find any samples online.
You mean... how many animation it has? The majority of "hot" scenes have animations. Roughly ~121 smooth animations (30fps), a large number of simple renpy transform animations (2-3 frames), and around ~1,600 still images.

Dr.John Bums

Apr 29, 2023
Night Mirror, take your time getting the update ready.
I'd rather wait another week than end up with a barely playable game with tons of bugs.

I'm really looking forward to the update.
I'm almost done with the current version, I'm already on day 37 of 38.
And I have to say the game is just great.
Thank you for your work and your effort.

I would like to help you.
But I have zero idea how to program or create the animations.

earth_dragon4

Oct 1, 2020
I know it feels like things are taking longer than normal, and that is mostly because they are. If you are wondering what the heck the hold up is, that is on me for being a bit too vague about what it is we are doing at the moment. This post is going to talk a little bit about the current process, but if you just want to know when the update is coming out, the answer is still... soon(tm).

Simply put, we aren't done with editing. It is easy to think (mostly because it's what I imply in my posts) that this process should be a few hours at most, just fixing a some typos, or missing punctuation. But finding "mistakes" is actually the smallest part of what happens in the editing process.

First, very briefly, this is how I put updates together (very, very simplified). I get the game files, I pull out all the assets (image, text, animations), I do some black magic on them (slicing), I program those elements into the Renpy game, using Unity as a guide for where to put what, and then I play the new scenes a few times, and maybe add some little extras here and there. This has been the process since I first started, but for a long time it's been mostly just me, working on whatever time I could/wanted to allot to the project.

While having just me doing stuff can make things fast (I'm the only person I have to wait on (and if I want things to be faster, I can just sleep less)), it also makes them less... good. While I wouldn't go so far as to say my original work on this project was terrible, it has noticeably improved (at least I think so) since I had other people step in to help.

Things changed last year when aaronminus and kimlana joined in to help fix some of the dialogue mistakes littered all throughout the game. Unfortunately, kimlana didn't stay on very long, but aaronminus has stuck around and been working with me on the project ever since. But what are they actually doing?

While finding typos, missing punctuation, and grammatical errors is a part of it, it's actually the smallest part. A lot of time is spent improving some of the, uh... less good dialogue (either from me or Ferdafs). Taking things like (not actual lines from the update, so no spoilers here, just an example of line changes) "You thrust into your mom." into something more like "Holding your mother's hips you thrust in and out of her soaking wet pussy." As well as having things make more sense, or updating dialogue in other spots of reflect new events placed into past days.

But this dose have a time trade off to it. My forward progress is now dependent on someone else, and their own time constraints. I can't put in revisions to a scene if I don't have those changes.

The very short answer is, we have lives that don't revolve around this game. It get's worked on as time permits. In the past I have pushed for shorter deadlines, but this really isn't fair to aaronminus who has to crunch to get that work done. Or, I have to forgo improvements and put out a lower quality game.

Yes, we are taking a bit longer here, but the trade off is that we aren't burning out to have the game ready a few days sooner.

Usually I'm in such a hurry to get it done right now, as fast as I can, go-go-go-go! That I don't add some extras I might otherwise do. Case in point, while I've been waiting on revisions, I've added a number of extras. Two additional animations, some choices, and the major feature for Wild Summer I talked about in the previous progress report.

Without the more relaxed pace of editing this go around, I most likely would have not done any of these, and the update would be out right now, full of typos and at a lower quality. Sure, we could fix them in the next update, but then you're playing a lower quality scene as your first experience with it, and players might never go back and see any of the improvements.

At the end of the day, the question is, is it worth taking more time? And (again, at least for me) the answer is yes, or I wouldn't be doing it. I think a better quality is worth waiting for, and not pushing ourselves to the quitting point is also important.

Also, importantly, unlike many other devs, I'm not just going to be silent and vanish into the night, giving you no hope that anything is being done. We are working on it, I'm working on it right now! It just isn't ready yet.

Anyhow... I know that was another long rambling post... but I'm very excited to get this out to you all, and we are going not as fast as we can, but at a pace that won't burn us out. Thanks for staying awesome!
Take your time, we're not going anywhere. Who's gonna argue against quality? The fact that you're putting as much attention as you are into it, makes me excited for what comes next.

bcgibson

Mar 5, 2022
You mean... how many animation it has? The majority of "hot" scenes have animations. Roughly ~121 smooth animations (30fps), a large number of simple renpy transform animations (2-3 frames), and around ~1,600 still images.
Ok where is a sample of the animations?

MobileGrunt

Oct 5, 2019
Steady as she goes, Night Mirror. It's not the end of it and there'll hopefully be more content, so what's an extra week or two when we'll be waiting regardless? Got other things to take my time.

Reactions: Night Mirror

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
I have a question.

Why does this remake exist? Pirating wasn't enough, you had to straight up insult Ferdafs instead? Cause that's what this project is, a complete insult. Ferdafs puts a lot of effort into the main game, but instead of being appreciative of that effort, you decided to just remake the game into Ren'py, diverting fans away from experiencing the art that Ferdafs created for your uninspired attempt at "improving" it. On top of that, you have the audacity to say that if Ferdafs is dead or gone, you'll complete the project for him? As if you could deliver a project even as half as good as he can. You aren't a fan of Ferdafs, you are just rude and insulting.
I mostly made this project for myself, and decided to share it with everyone. You don't have to like it, I'm not out to please everyone (clearly impossible).

You're entitled to your opinion, and I'm not forcing anyone to play this over the original. My goal wasn't to drive people away from the Unity game, because the Unity game sort of does that on it's own. In fact, this game has done the opposite of pulling people away, with a fair number of people subbing to Ferdafs pateron because of this remake. And I don't accept donations of any kind for this project, if people are going to pirate from here (or other sites) I don't think the version matters.

As to finishing the work if Ferdafs does stop (which, again, I've said I hope isn't the case, I would much prefer a lot more content over an ending), why wouldn't I? This is a fan project of a fan project. Players deserve a conclusion.

You've said your peace, you don't like my remake, and that's fine. I hope you continue to enjoy the Unity game!

Devilrv

Aug 6, 2019

Hey NM,
Hope things are going well for you.

Just wanted to check in terms of the edits you mentioned.

Are they from the big list of requests that were pending and if yes, has that original list been updated for that?

I'm asking as i didn't see anything about the edits in the task list you posted for this update.

Either way, Keep up your good work.

Peace

Eoin

The Bug Hunter
Donor
Feb 21, 2017
Stop the bullshit. Anyone who continues arguing here will be warned. Go to off-topic or PM's for that nonsense.
P.S: When someone says "hey, maybe we should stop arguing", regardless of whether they are a moderator or not, it might be in your best interest to stop.

MangaKing

Oct 16, 2017
Thank God, also I'm glad your taking more help with this even if its just editors, I'm fine with it taking longer

Devilrv

Aug 6, 2019
Well the post with the edits was deleted for reason I shall not mention.
But I was able to read it before and HOLY SHIT THE Amount of edits is huge!!!!
Honestly cant wait for the update.

Cheers bud to the guy who posted the edit, i forgot your name.

Akosamoca

Jul 3, 2021
I mostly made this project for myself, and decided to share it with everyone. You don't have to like it, I'm not out to please everyone (clearly impossible).

You're entitled to your opinion, and I'm not forcing anyone to play this over the original. My goal wasn't to drive people away from the Unity game, because the Unity game sort of does that on it's own. In fact, this game has done the opposite of pulling people away, with a fair number of people subbing to Ferdafs pateron because of this remake. And I don't accept donations of any kind for this project, if people are going to pirate from here (or other sites) I don't think the version matters.

As to finishing the work if Ferdafs does stop (which, again, I've said I hope isn't the case, I would much prefer a lot more content over an ending), why wouldn't I? This is a fan project of a fan project. Players deserve a conclusion.

You've said your peace, you don't like my remake, and that's fine. I hope you continue to enjoy the Unity game!
Ignore the idiot,you are doing amazing job.Who doesn't like it can avoid it,guy above is classic moron.

Saligia

May 12, 2017
Out of fear of sounding like the whiniest kind of guy that I absolutely can't stand...Is there a rough estimate for when the next update is going to drop?

I know you're working on it, and I also know that it's taking longer than usual because you've got, yaknow, an actual life?

I don't want to rush you, just get a general idea for how long it's going to take.

bcgibson

Mar 5, 2022
Dude ... just play the game that he (and his new help) and ferdafs put a lot of time and passion in....
No, it doesn’t work that way. Even when I buy regular games for my console. Games that have animations need to have at least a few gifs next to the jpegs provided or at least a video online somewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: hghgffg6ggj
4.90 star(s) 96 Votes