rpdl.net discussion & questions (torrents)

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
hmmm... odd, I've supported others through BuyMeACoffee and could use paypal with no problem... new development?
No idea honestly, I don't think I've received any emails about it.

I looked into it and yep, you're right ->
That's a bummer.

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
No idea honestly, I don't think I've received any emails about it.

I looked into it and yep, you're right ->
That's a bummer.
Well, on the bright side, ApplePay seems to be an option... and that I can do... so if you'd be willing... I'll gladly use that

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Well, on the bright side, ApplePay seems to be an option... and that I can do... so if you'd be willing... I'll gladly use that
If you're happy with the service, for sure. Our next goal is adding a second long-term storage node so that's where your donation will be going. I'm aiming to get ~4 of them but it's a long term goal :)

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
If you're happy with the service, for sure. Our next goal is adding a second long-term storage node so that's where your donation will be going. I'm aiming to get ~4 of them but it's a long term goal :)
Think you need to enable that first before I can use it. Currently I only get the option to use a creditcard...

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Think you need to enable that first before I can use it. Currently I only get the option to use a creditcard...
Gotcha, I've actually trawled though everything on their FAQ without luck so I just opened a ticket with them.
Sorry for the wait but thanks for bringing it to my attention - If you'd like I can ping you here when I have more information on it. They say it'll take a few hours before I get a reply though.

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
Gotcha, I've actually trawled though everything on their FAQ without luck so I just opened a ticket with them.
Sorry for the wait but thanks for bringing it to my attention - If you'd like I can ping you here when I have more information on it. They say it'll take a few hours before I get a reply though.
Sure, although I'm about to hit the sack (local time is 2:38AM) and will be out most of tomorrow after getting up. Gonna be my first day to babysit my second grandson ;)
So I'll be checking anyways when I get home tomorrow evening...

Reactions: RPDL

CreepyPantsMan

Dec 12, 2020
A bit confused and I've been reading the thread but not really figuring it out.

Used to be I just cut and pasted the torrent link into qbitorrent (on version 4.4.1 right now), then I noticed I started having to download the torrent files and open them in my client, but only one out of say five actually worked for me. The rest all say "stalled" when I load them.

From reading this thread I went to dl.rpdl.net (used to just go to rpdl.net) and created an account and signed in, but on a torrent with plenty of seeders I'm still just getting "stalled"

Did I miss a step?

EDIT: User error, it turns out after signing up for dl.rpdl.net it said it signed me in but the page I got the torrent from hadn't been signed in yet. After signing in and refreshing the page the torrent works. :)

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
An account on rpdl.net will be required to grab .torrents in the future then?
Correct, I'm still awaiting feedback from admins though - so I don't want to talk about it too much (yet).

A bit confused and I've been reading the thread but not really figuring it out.

Used to be I just cut and pasted the torrent link into qbitorrent (on version 4.4.1 right now), then I noticed I started having to download the torrent files and open them in my client, but only one out of say five actually worked for me. The rest all say "stalled" when I load them.

From reading this thread I went to dl.rpdl.net (used to just go to rpdl.net) and created an account and signed in, but on a torrent with plenty of seeders I'm still just getting "stalled"

Did I miss a step?

EDIT: User error, it turns out after signing up for dl.rpdl.net it said it signed me in but the page I got the torrent from hadn't been signed in yet. After signing in and refreshing the page the torrent works. :)
Thanks for the feedback - yeah at the moment it's not very intuitive. It _shouldn't_ be possible to download a torrent while not signed in, as it won't work anyway. It's still very early so things will shape up over the coming weeks.

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
Used to be I just cut and pasted the torrent link into qbitorrent (on version 4.4.1 right now)
If you get crappy speeds with that version, roll back to 4.3.9.
4.4.0 and later versions use LibTorrent 2.0 instead of 1.2 and LibTorrent 2.0 isn't quite ready for prime time I'm afraid...
see:

Also, you don't need to save _and_ open ... just configure qBitTorrent to monitor a user-specified folder and save the torrent there. qBitTorrent will then automatically pick it up and start downloading.
1646079836089.png

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018
Ah man, creating accounts?!? Why?
Wouldn't we want torrents to be seeded by as many people as possible?

Worse, a lot of torrent programs don't work? What's with all the roadblocks, hurdles and excluding people?
This started as a great initiative and now seems to diminish before it really took off.

Why can't we have nice thing? :cry:

Maybe F95zone mods/admins could set up something so that every release on F95zone also gets uploaded/shared on something like the Piratebay or 1337x.to. Those websites work for everyone in the world and purposely avoid excluding people.

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Ah man, creating accounts?!? Why?
Wouldn't we want torrents to be seeded by as many people as possible?

Worse, a lot of torrent programs don't work? What's with all the roadblocks, hurdles and excluding people?
This started as a great initiative and now seems to diminish before it really took off.

Why can't we have nice thing? :cry:
I had this discussion on discord earlier today, I'll copy paste what I said there because it's the same that I'd type here:

in short:
for the amount of ppl in the swarm, we ran/run on an absolute shoe-string budget. nopy pushed 16pb a month with 4k funding, we did a smidge under 1pb with 80euro.
we can support the f95 userbase, but i refuse to support other sites that steal the torrents and post it as their own. we need to grow and for that to happen, we need funding. and we don't get funding from people who nab a public torrent from a random site.
that's the raw honesty of it.
back when BaDIK last released, within ~6 hours there was 4,000 torrent downloads
like, i get it - piracy and all. but when i spend ~3 hours a day making/updating/deleting torrents, paying the (extra) money needed to make the budget and balance IRL and a job on top it all gets a bit much.
for example right now, 2 of our patrons make up 60% of our budget, it's dangerous and incredibly lopsided. if everyone on this discord donated $1 a month we'd have ~$600, 400% our current budget
Here's an example of what I'm fighting against:

unknown.png

I have to draw a line somewhere and this is where I'm drawing it. I refuse to allow other sites to leech off my services and earn money via my servers and all of our users who are seeding.

I hope the above makes sense, if there's any part that's confusing let me know. It's not a subject I really like talking about but I like to be open about things too.

Jul 16, 2018
Ok, thanks for the explanation.

1. Why not link people with F95zone accounts to rpdl? That would solve the problem of externally available torrents.
2. You are sending mixed messages. I was seeding a bunch of torrents I downloaded from rpdl, but you personally said it's NOT necessary to help seed. Now you are saying you cannot handle the traffic. This confuses me. I'm used to seeding things for a month or so, but removed the torrents because of your comments.
3. My biggest gripe BY FAR is that you EXCLUDE people for arbitrary elitist reasons. Blocking people's chosen torrent client is just a terrible move. Although I (purely coincidentally) run a torrent client that you whitelisted, I'm really against excluding people.
4. I absolutely LOVE your service. I never understood why F95zone was dicking around with Mega and such annoying websites. Simply seed at a fairly low upload speed so that there will be a lot of initial leechers who automatically seed.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Joeburqa

Visse44

May 9, 2021
I'm not really a fan of requiring another login for downloads...

Maybe an alternative could be adding a text file to each torrent describing where its from and how to support the service?

(I've also sent a couple of beers your way, to help the service running)

• Red Heart
Reactions: 312.206.993

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
I'm not really a fan of requiring another login for downloads...

Maybe an alternative could be adding a text file to each torrent describing where its from and how to support the service?

(I've also sent a couple of beers your way, to help the service running)
OH MY GOD, i was trying to figure out who it was. You're too generous, are you sure? Idk what to say.

The account thing as it stands is basically meaningless, we don't validate the username or email. We just need _something_ to tie torrents to via a passkey. It completely kills sites that leeches the torrents because we can revoke the passkey.

Just to add some context to this, when it started happening I emailed all the sites that were doing it and I asked them to instead link to the game page. What I got back was two "fuck offs", one guy offered to pay me $100 to "shut up and leave them alone" and the others ignored me. Honestly, I do have a bit of a vendetta.

If it doesn't work out, and by that I mean usage drops way off then we can revert it. Nothing is set in stone, I've made wrong decisions in the past and this might be one of them, we'll see. There was a little short of 1,000 registered accounts yesterday though so I think it'll go okay. I'm hoping the admins will let me link to the torrents here so everyone is happy but I'll understand if they don't.

With all that said, thank you - you completely blindsided me with the donation. You've sent enough to get a second storage node (badly needed) and pay for 2 months of it. I'm a bit speechless.

Ok, thanks for the explanation.

1. Why not link people with F95zone accounts to rpdl? That would solve the problem of externally available torrents.
2. You are sending mixed messages. I was seeding a bunch of torrents I downloaded from rpdl, but you personally said it's NOT necessary to help seed. Now you are saying you cannot handle the traffic. This confuses me. I'm used to seeding things for a month or so, but removed the torrents because of your comments.
3. My biggest gripe BY FAR is that you EXCLUDE people for arbitrary elitist reasons. Blocking people's chosen torrent client is just a terrible move. Although I (purely coincidentally) run a torrent client that you whitelisted, I'm really against excluding people.
4. I absolutely LOVE your service. I never understood why F95zone was dicking around with Mega and such annoying websites. Simply seed at a fairly low upload speed so that there will be a lot of initial leechers who automatically seed.
1. It's not feasible. I did float the idea of an F95 SSO to Sam but they've got a whole lot of work going on with the site ATM and it'd be super low priority. It might be a thing in the future, who knows. I think it'd be a great solution.
2. Yeah, I definitely gave mixed signals on this. I tend to act in the spur of the moment sometimes so I might say everything's fine for 3 weeks out of the month but then for the last week when everyone releases updates stuff goes on fire and I flip-flop. Sorry, I'll try work on it. My initial goal was to act as a repository, anyone can download what they want and just play the game, no seeding. The service is me doing the seeding. That's always the way I looked at it. There's absolutely no denying though that when things got busy, the users seeding took a notable load off my back and to be fair, the users here _are_ very good at seeding.
3. This is actually something I kind of "stole" from private trackers. I've been in torrents a long time, I've seen all types of cheat-clients etc. With that said though, the new setup _does not_ enforce a whitelist _yet_. I'm kindof of the opinion that having accounts does-away with the need for the whitelist so it mightn't be something that returns. Honestly I've just been so busy with working on the site lately that I haven't had time to think about it.
4. I can't speak for the staff here but if I had to guess, it's because there's a negative stigma associated with torrents. There's quite a big difference between a links-site/forum and a torrent tracker. They might have found it harder to get advertisements, or maybe it was against their MO to incorporate torrents. Either way, I can't say for sure. There's absolutely no denying though that torrents are the ideal solution.

Thanks for the feedback, regarding #3 if I had to give you an answer right now I think it won't come back. But... the hard part was getting everyone to switch to good clients so it'd be a little wasted if we reverted. Either way, I'll do another poll beforehand and we'll do whichever the people decide. I'll also try and be better about #2, promise :)

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018
1. I really hope this will come to fruition in the future.
2. I'll resume seeding everything for a month again, as per my usual MO. If I see only 2 or 3 seeders left, I will leave them in longer.
I always assumed your FANTASTIC idea was to make sure there was always at least 1 seeder so that the torrent wouldn't die. I STILL would like you to be a repository where everything is still downloadable. But please, leave the bandwidth to us. The whole idea behind torrents is that everyone pulls their own weight, rather than the whole infrastructure being bottle necked by one source.
3. That's a HUGE relief!
4. Very surprising. I have a very negative connotation with file locker websites and a very positive connotation with torrents.

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
1. I really hope this will come to fruition in the future.
2. I'll resume seeding everything for a month again, as per my usual MO. If I see only 2 or 3 seeders left, I will leave them in longer.
I always assumed your FANTASTIC idea was to make sure there was always at least 1 seeder so that the torrent wouldn't die. I STILL would like you to be a repository where everything is still downloadable. But please, leave the bandwidth to us. The whole idea behind torrents is that everyone pulls their own weight, rather than the whole infrastructure being bottle necked by one source.
3. That's a HUGE relief!
4. Very surprising. I have a very negative connotation with file locker websites and a very positive connotation with torrents.
My plan is still to have everything seeded. All the torrents we currently have at the new site are seeded by at least 3 servers, 2 of mine and one of a volunteer. When a game updates we delete the previous version and update to the new one so the most recent version is always seeded. Obviously sometimes a game might fall through the cracks and not get updated for a few hours/days but if that happens just let us know. With regards to providing the bandwidth, I think it's important that it's fast. If it isn't fast, people might aswell use the other filehosts. I want to max peoples connections so they're satisfied - people should be able to grab 50 games a day if they want. Having a bunch of servers also leaves the door open to (possibly) someday offering a file download service via the browser.
It's always an option, but not anytime soon. I know it mightn't seem like it at times (whitelist + accounts) but my goal is to always provide the best/fastest experience I can. I'll make mistakes here or there but I think we're still on a good track :)

Jul 16, 2018
That's not how torrents work.
If you are connected to 10 seeds which each upload 10MB/s you can still get about 100MB/s. With many seeds, it all adds up to saturate your bandwidth.

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
If you are connected to 10 seeds which each upload 10MB/s you can still get about 100MB/s. With many seeds, it all adds up to saturate your bandwidth.
What exactly are you arguing against?

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
Yes and no. With a lot of seeder (if the respond time is good enough) you can have a great speed even if each seeders speed is slow as a snail. Yet, if you have a seeder with a 10 GB/s bandwith, you would need a lot of slow seeder to achieve that.
And rpdl is right if the "service" suck at the beginning then only a very few would use it and then it would achive a lot of seeder who can provide speed to the torrent network.