rpdl.net discussion & questions (torrents)

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
"We're working to get it on production ASAP but it'll likely take a few weeks."

Lol, that was 2 years ago... You're working on f95 time. lol

Sorry. just thought it funny.
I have to log out and back in most every time I use rpdl.

I just figured it had to do w my privacy settings or something. Not a big deal.
I still have to shut down my vpn in order to torrent. (free version of Proton)
Also same thing w Discord which is why I don't use it....also because it wants my
phone number when I try to register....lol....not gonna happen

Anywho...Cheers y'all are doin great

Become Alpha torrent dl speed bouncing between 400K and 1.2M
(dsl 10Mbps[ish])
Hey, sorry for the late reply. I'm travelling at the moment.

Yeah, you've no idea how annoying it is for us. We reported the bug very early on and it's been fixed in the development branch a few weeks after that. We were due an update around september of last year I think, which slipped to January, which slipped to March/June and now July. We're between a rock and a hard place because we've a lot of backend tooling that's hooked into it too so we can't just skip from release to alpha then back to release without likely having to rewrite a bunch of stuff. So early on we just decided to grit our teeth and wait it out, after all, how long could it take.

Open source stuff is great, anyone can contribute but it has a few downsides too. Because it's free and maintained by a community, or rather just normal people who have free time, you can't really criticize it. If you need stuff faster, the general line is then you should start contributing to speed things up. We've contributed a few patches and QOL fixes but neither of us code in rust.
Anyways, it's just a wait and see type thing. I actually talked about it with the guys a few weeks ago on how maybe we should have switched codebases but whatever - maybe we should have but we didn't. I'm an optimistic person so when it actually releases, we'll be upgrading immediately afterwards.

I just hope it won't be too much longer. I actually don't like talking about it exactly because I hyped it up and talked openly about the release dates and when we'd be upgrading (etc) only for it to constantly be pushed back leaving egg on my face. It's just one of those things really.

Also RE: discord, I think it only asks for a phone number if you're creating a second acc? It may be that you already have one created where you don't need to add a phone number - i'm pretty sure neither of my accounts have numbers attached actually. Discord can, in general, just suck a massive dick. I wish there was a good alternative we could host ourselves (we talk about this every few months too).