rpdl.net discussion & questions (torrents)

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
So we're making some changes which WILL affect a subset of our users and I ended up mashing a few updates into a big news post

TL;DR If you don't already use 7zip, you'll need to either install 7zip or a tool that can also extract .7z archives. I explain why in the above news post.

I'm sure the vast majority of people already have it installed because, well, 7zip is amazing. It's also just one of those things where we have to move forward and get with the times and leave zips where they belong (in the past). Previous torrents obviously aren't affected.

If anyone has feedback on it feel free to drop a message here or hit us up in #troubleshooting on our discord.

Reactions: Mortarion

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
In other news, people are now having posts removed for talking about my site, not even linking to it. The bias is unreal.
Confirming this happened to me. I mentioned in a game thread that torrents were available at rpld. Linked to this OP for people unfamiliar with the site, but no links to rpdl.

Because there was a lot more to the post than that, I opened a ticket. The post was restored with the talk about rpdl removed. That was my main reason for opening the ticket, but I had also asked for some clarification on the policy behind the removal which I didn't get. I made a response asking again for clarification, but I'm not sure it will get any attention because the ticket was marked Resolved.

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
Because there was a lot more to the post than that, I opened a ticket. The post was restored with the talk about rpdl removed. That was my main reason for opening the ticket, but I had also asked for some clarification on the policy behind the removal which I didn't get. I made a response asking again for clarification, but I'm not sure it will get any attention because the ticket was marked Resolved.
Most likely you won't. You could, it is up to you, enter a ticket that needs staff or admin to respond, but I wouldn't put my hopes up.

Some general news: rpdl got removed from Patreon.

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
Some general news: rpdl got removed from Patreon.
That sucks, but it doesn't seem altogether surprising. Though, one does wonder who reported it. It's not hard to imagine the same people who abuse their power in censoring mentions of rpdl taking their crusade a bit further...

Eoin

The Bug Hunter
Donor
Feb 21, 2017
That sucks, but it doesn't seem altogether surprising. Though, one does wonder who reported it. It's not hard to imagine the same people who abuse their power in censoring mentions of rpdl taking their crusade a bit further...
What are you saying, pal? That a pirate site openly promoting a Patreon account had no chance of being banned? That a pirate site openly making money via a Patreon account on other people's work wouldn't have the account banned?

We are all pirates at the end of the day, it wouldn't take much for a few dmca's from the creator's directly to Patreon to get an account banned. It's happened to a few if the Italian pirates. Not so far fetched for it to happen again. It's certainly unfortunate, but no one can fly under the radar forever.

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
What are you saying, pal? That a pirate site openly promoting a Patreon account had no chance of being banned? That a pirate site openly making money via a Patreon account on other people's work wouldn't have the account banned?

We are all pirates at the end of the day, it wouldn't take much for a few dmca's from the creator's directly to Patreon to get an account banned. It's happened to a few if the Italian pirates. Not so far fetched for it to happen again.
I'm not saying anything about who or why, I genuinely don't care because patreon was eventually going to remove us anyway. I just want to point out something:
We don't make money, we lose money every single month. Also we've never received a single DMCA, we actually have a no-movement list if anyone doesn't want their games listed and in ~9 months, there's only two games on it.

Also lol, Patreon wouldn't receive a DMCA on our behalf. We don't have anything on the patreon platform that could be infringing upon copyright.

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
What are you saying, pal? That a pirate site openly promoting a Patreon account had no chance of being banned?
No, IMO was inevitable. Frankly, I was surprised it was even created.

But that doesn't make it unreasonable to imagine that same people who delete posts for merely mentioning the site might also have contributed to getting it banned on Patreon.

Reactions: c3p0

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
The sheer level of pointless drama and conspiracy theories in this thread is truly astounding, reading through some of the comments here is actually mind blowing.

95% of moderator actions are reactive to reports. At any one point there are between 50 and 300 open reports in the moderation report queue, which is separate to the games/comics queues. The amount of time it takes to just be reactive is insane, so mods rarely if ever perform any proactive moderation, let alone trying to get random services kicked off of their fundraising platforms or sit around circle jerking over random forum members

Rpdl torrents were completely fine and added to OPs for months, until suddenly they weren't. I wonder what could have caused this? Some grand conspiracy? Were we contacted by the illuminati to supress torrents? Or perhaps this change coincided with the site forcing registrations, which we do not allow for approved file hosts. rpdl knew this when he made the change, and I had already previously said that this wouldn't be allowed in tickets. Yes I totally understand why the change was made and sympathize with the issues encountered. However, when that change was made, the site was no longer following our rules so links were removed when seen or reported. Moderators removing links were literally just enforcing our rules, there isn't even any possible room for bias in this equation.

As I said, I understand why the decision was made, and rpdl understandably tried to salvage things by requesting an exception to the rules. Until this exception was granted, the site was still breaking our rules and shouldn't have been posted. As I was the one who had already said that it wouldn't be allowed, and the other Staff/Mods are below me, I or F95 were the only ones who could reverse/overrule my previous decision. Unfortunately I've been extremely busy over the past few months, and any time I managed to get back online it was spent fixing broken things, and managing the infrastructure that F95zone operates on. Yes, I can understand my absence being frustrating, however remember that this is asking for a reversal of a decision already made.

I managed to make some time to deal with this and read through the tickets last week, have a talk with mods/staff regarding this, and also had a productive conversation with rpdl . However, after looking through some of this thread, as well as reviewing some of the abuse the moderation team have received either directly or indirectly by just doing their 'job' as directed, plus the asinine conspiracy theories being floated, I'm quite frankly done with this at the moment.

This thread is locked and will remain locked until an exception is granted, if ever.

In the mean time, I suggest some of you cool down and seek help for your persecution complexes.

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
Thread unlocked.

rpdl links will be allowed going forward, however, they won't be added to OPs. This is both at the request of rpdl to limit excessive load on their setup, as well as a compromise from our side so we aren't officially advocating for the links or service, this may be further reviewed in the future, we'll see.

Please, no more drama, calling moderators names for doing their "job", or conspiracy theories. We'll draw a line under all of that unpleasantness and hopefully we can all move forward.