Tool RPGM RPG Maker Unpacker

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

dsconstructor

Modder
Sep 26, 2017
How to open files with the format "RVDATA2"?
With RPGMaker VX / VXAce, those files store different kinds of data which are used by the game, things like items, weapons, enemies, animations.
They don't contain any the graphics for them only the data, such as names, how much damage weapons do, the order and location of a sword animation swinging across the screen, game scripts, etc
RPGMVXAce.jpg rvdata2.jpg

Reactions: roggerito

AyakaFan

May 31, 2022
With RPGMaker VX / VXAce, those files store different kinds of data which are used by the game, things like items, weapons, enemies, animations.
They don't contain any the graphics for them only the data, such as names, how much damage weapons do, the order and location of a sword animation swinging across the screen, game scripts, etc
View attachment 2376990 View attachment 2376991
I tried to open with it but it always crash =(

Bondage Queen

Jun 25, 2018
So to apply a translation you need to do the first seven steps, and then the next 4 steps? I don't understand how to do the second #1. What am I extracting? Or is it just saying to do the first seven steps? Having trouble getting this translation to do anything.

dsconstructor

Modder
Sep 26, 2017
So to apply a translation you need to do the first seven steps, and then the next 4 steps? I don't understand how to do the second #1. What am I extracting? Or is it just saying to do the first seven steps? Having trouble getting this translation to do anything.
#1 for applying translations are the first 7 steps.
As you need to extract the data from the encrypted archive and remove the archive, (archives have a higher priority so leaving it in will cause your translation patch to have no effect)

Reactions: Twistty

MGMonsoon

May 23, 2022
Short guide for new people to help with the unpacking of RPG maker archives.

Note: this only works for RPG maker XP, VX and VX Ace. NOT for MV!

1. Download the decrypter at: (courtesy of some guy on reddit)
  2. Download and install the .net 4.0 framework if needed
  3. Run the decrypter.exe file you downloaded in step 1. I usually copy it in the game folder, since it's only 300 kB.
  4. Press "file", then "open archive" and navigate to your game folder and select the archive (.rgss file)
  5. Then press "Tools" and "Extract all files". The extractor will now start extraction. It will create a new folder in the same location as your archive with the name "extract". It will give you a message when it is ready.
  6. Cut the content of the "extract" folder when the extractor is done and paste it in your main game folder. This will most likely include the "graphics" folder. Overwrite where needed.
  7. Rename or remove the archive if you're adding translations. If you don't, then the archive will still have priority and nothing changes. This also saves a lot of disk space.
How to apply a partial translation on a Japanese game:
  1. Extract the RPG maker archive as instructed above. Don't forget to remove the archive after extracting!
  2. Download the partial translation
  3. Copy and overwrite the files in the partial translation
  4. Run game

Posted by WeebsAreGay
Anyone know why I keep getting this error? 1686569442529.png

JBNYC1

Oct 5, 2022

3. Run the decrypter.exe file you downloaded in step 1. I usually copy it in the game folder, since it's only 300 kB.
  4. Press "file", then "open archive" and navigate to your game folder and select the archive (.rgss file)
  5. Then press "Tools" and "Extract all files". The extractor will now start extraction. It will create a new folder in the same location as your archive with the name "extract". It will give you a message when it is ready.
  6. Cut the content of the "extract" folder when the extractor is done and paste it in your main game folder. This will most likely include the "graphics" folder. Overwrite where needed.
  7. Rename or remove the archive if you're adding translations. If you don't, then the archive will still have priority and nothing changes. This also saves a lot of disk space.
  1. Extract the RPG maker archive as instructed above. Don't forget to remove the archive after extracting!
  4. Run game

Posted by WeebsAreGay
Works great! Thank you! :)

xerxes the furry

Apr 12, 2023

4. Run game

Posted by WeebsAreGay
literally none of any of these programs or methods work. no matter what I do it refuses to create an archive folder, all it does is create copies of the ".RGSS" file, my guess is that it's one of 3 thigs, either the instructions aren't clear enough for a newby like me. the instructions are incorrect, or the programs are all just fucked.

Bruhbidjie

Jun 17, 2023
I tried to use this on exagear to extract the game.rgssa3(revived demon priestiess)but exagear couldnt use it :(

^/30

Sep 22, 2018
It said success but the extract file doesn't appear in the folder
Excellent little tool, but I did find a tiny flaw in the instructions your gave.

Point 5 of the OP now states that the decrypter: "... will create a new folder in the same location as your archive ...". However this only seems to apply if you follow along the suggestion in point 3: "I usually copy it in the game folder".

When you copy the tool to another location, like a folder dedicated to RPG Maker stuff, than the actual extraction point turns out to be alongside the decrypter's executable, in stead of the rgss archive file.

This could keep users such as the one I quoted or myself searching for ages :) while prevention only takes a small change, such as: "It will create a new folder with the name "Extract" at the same location where you placed the decrypter".

So I'd hereby like to suggest updating the instructions accordingly. Thank you in advance and keep up the good work!

Last edited:

Insomnimaniac Games

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 25, 2017
So, does anyone know why this happens?
Screenshot 2023-11-21 094838.png
It's always worked before, but after the 1.12 update of Kamesutra, all of the common events, variables, and switches are blank. It's the only game that does this. I'm trying to help the dev optimize his events, but I can't really do that if I can't even see the events. I've tried a few extractors but none of them have worked. Any help is much appreciated, please and thank you!

karist

Mar 2, 2019
So, does anyone know why this happens?
View attachment 3106016
It's always worked before, but after the 1.12 update of Kamesutra, all of the common events, variables, and switches are blank. It's the only game that does this. I'm trying to help the dev optimize his events, but I can't really do that if I can't even see the events. I've tried a few extractors but none of them have worked. Any help is much appreciated, please and thank you!
Maybe the creator erased those keywords by himself as a way to prevent from making mods or cheating save files.
I don't know how he did it by, manual work or special scripts.

Insomnimaniac Games

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 25, 2017
Maybe the creator erased those keywords by himself as a way to prevent from making mods or cheating save files.
I don't know how he did it by, manual work or special scripts.
Nope, talked to the man himself. He has no idea. It's really confusing, because it's the only game that does this, as far as I know.

karist

Mar 2, 2019
Nope, talked to the man himself. He has no idea. It's really confusing, because it's the only game that does this, as far as I know.
? You talked Naughty Turtle directly about extracting tool? What's purpose ?

Naughty Turtle is game creator, and you (including me and all extracting tool users) are game reverse engineer.
We are opposite sides from him, in a way we are enemies for him. I think we should avoid talking around him about reverse engineering.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote