Duality
School Of Love: Clubs!
Scarlet Law
Sweet Times

Last edited:

Stil996

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 11, 2018
Thats a realy long list, and I haven't played all of them but based on the ones I recognise there a load that aren't sandbox,
Man of the House
Timestamps - Chapter 1: Unconditional Love
Milfy City
F.I.L.F.
Betrayed
Taffy Tales

for example are not sandbox, they are deceptive in that they have open maps but they are extremely linear. Practically VNs

Betrayed is the only one I recognise that while being linear has some nice story decisions that might make multiple playthroughs worthwile (or atleast some save scumming), I strongly reccommend it

Sandbox is a tag that is misused alot,
The games I recognise from the above list that I agree are sandbox ara

Summertime Saga
Long Live the Princess
The Headmaster
The Twist
Take Over
Glassix
Time Loop Hunter
SuperPowered
Lab Rats 2
High-Rise Climb
Vis
Area69
Loser
Lewd Town Adventures

Mario4don

Your Mother's Lover
Donor
Dec 16, 2018
Thats a realy long list, and I haven't played all of them but based on the ones I recognise there a load that aren't sandbox,
Man of the House
Timestamps - Chapter 1: Unconditional Love
Milfy City
F.I.L.F.
Betrayed
Taffy Tales

for example are not sandbox, they are deceptive in that they have open maps but they are extremely linear. Practically VNs

Betrayed is the only one I recognise that while being linear has some nice story decisions that might make multiple playthroughs worthwile (or atleast some save scumming), I strongly reccommend it

Sandbox is a tag that is misused alot,
The games I recognise from the above list that I agree are sandbox ara

Summertime Saga
Long Live the Princess
The Headmaster
The Twist
Take Over
Glassix
Time Loop Hunter
SuperPowered
Lab Rats 2
High-Rise Climb
Vis
Area69
Loser
Lewd Town Adventures
For me if the game has a free roam and/or map and you can do quests/events at your discretion and you do not have to do them in any predetermined order (and all this games have this) then it is a sandbox and of course you are right that some of this games have vn elements and you need to make the right choices to get for example relationship points but this does not make them not sandbox.

Last edited:

Stil996

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 11, 2018
For me if the game has a free room and/or map and you can do quests/events at your discretion and you do not have to do them in any predetermined order (and all this games have this) then it is a sandbox and of course you are right that some of this games have vn elements and you need to make the right choices to get for example relationship points but this does not make them not sandbox.
It is possible I am misrembering some of the facts of these games, but I'm fairly confident of my veiw.

I think we agree in general about what a sandbox game is, with the possible exception of an "open map = sandbox",

you can do quests/events at your discretion and you do not have to do them in any predetermined order
The games I picked in my examples of "not sandbox", don't fufill this brief, they have fixed story triggers that must be hit in sequence, and there are few if any decisions that make any difference bigger than a superficial skipping of sex scenes.
even unconnected scenes need to be done in order, for example you can't seduce the mom in F.I.L.F. without making progress with the sister and cousin (something that really pissed me off BTW, I had zero interest in them, I was there for the milfs not the skanks lol)
I might be prepared to give you Milfy City, because if I remember correctly you can revisit some scenes, but I still fairly sure you are forced to unlock them in sequence.
Taffy Tales at this point has only one decision (whether to make a milf wear a knights helmet in one sex scene) while it might become a nice sandbox game in the future at this point it is firmly locked into follow the triggers mode. you can't even revisit the sleep creep, you progress through 3 stages, and once the third scene is shown, it throws you back to stage 1 and locks you there as though you never had the option in the first place.

-------------------------------------

Addendum
It occurs to me that it may seem like I am calling out Mario4don's complete list, I am only disagreeing with the games I specifically noted, the rest are completely unknown to me.

I apologise if my post seems confrontational/disparaging, it was not intended that way

Last edited:

Mario4don

Your Mother's Lover
Donor
Dec 16, 2018
It is possible I am misrembering some of the facts of these games, but I'm fairly confident of my veiw.

I think we agree in general about what a sandbox game is, with the possible exception of an "open map = sandbox",

The games I picked in my examples of "not sandbox", don't fufill this brief, they have fixed story triggers that must be hit in sequence, and there are few if any decisions that make any difference bigger than a superficial skipping of sex scenes.
even unconnected scenes need to be done in order, for example you can't seduce the mom in F.I.L.F. without making progress with the sister and cousin (something that really pissed me off BTW, I had zero interest in them, I was there for the milfs not the skanks lol)
I might be prepared to give you Milfy City, because if I remember correctly you can revisit some scenes, but I still fairly sure you are forced to unlock them in sequence.
Taffy Tales at this point has only one decision (whether to make a milf wear a knights helmet in one sex scene) while it might become a nice sandbox game in the future at this point it is firmly locked into follow the triggers mode. you can't even revisit the sleep creep, you progress through 3 stages, and once the third scene is shown, it throws you back to stage 1 and locks you there as though you never had the option in the first place.

-------------------------------------

Addendum
It occurs to me that it may seem like I am calling out Mario4don's complete list, I am only disagreeing with the games I specifically noted, the rest are completely unknown to me.

I apologise if my post seems confrontational/disparaging, it was not intended that way
No worries, I do not feel offended in any way that you pointed out the shortcomings of some of these games.

But after all according to the rules of this forum these games are still tagged as a sandbox.

• Sandbox [For Free-Roam type of games.]
And of course I agree with you that some of these games are not 100% typical sandboxes, which can be associated with the open world and complete freedom in the game, but this does not change the fact that according to the guidelines of this forum if the game has any elements free-roam it falls under this category.

Stil996

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 11, 2018
But after all according to the rules of this forum these games are still tagged as a sandbox.

Sandbox [For Free-Roam type of games.]
I have to say I think that is a terrible definition for sandbox, Sandbox is supposed mean you get to play anyway you like, the ability to move around the map means nothing if there is nothing to do or learn outside of the central narrative.

The optimist in me is always hopeful that DEVs are starting those games with the intent that they will eventually fill those maps with content, only ending with such sparse offerings because they ran out of steam after biting off more than they can chew, but the cynic in me is confident that many are outright scamming their patreons with these implications, and padding with 10mins of walking for every 10 secs of content. (I'm also counting clicking dozens of empty locations each time zone in renpy as walking)

I get the sites definition is the definition that matters, I'm too low level to make suggestions here, perhaps you could offer the following suggestion on my behalf
Sandbox = any game with multiple routes/options to content

---------------------------------
Back on Topic

School of Lust [v0.5.4a] [Boner Games] is another some what sandbox game, attleast thats how it's being presented, it's content is fairly minimal at the moment, and it's DEV doesn't seem to be inspiring much faith in the comments section, but if promises are fulfilled, it might turn out ok.