3.90 star(s) 14 Votes

PeanutGallery

Nov 24, 2017
Took some notes.

Contextual buttons
These are... controversial, to say the least, when it comes to UX design. Note by "contextual button," I mean a situation where pushing "A" does one thing if one condition is true, but something entirely different if a something else is true. Generally speaking, it's best to have one button do one thing, and if you really want to make one button do multiple things, it's best to have them maintain the same task direction.

Take fallout four as an example. In that game, the interact key does a LOT of things, but it's always based around claiming something in the world. Pushing E interacts with objects, picks up items from the ground, buys items from vendors, confirms menu options, etc. In some of the older Gears of War games, where you had sprint and vault mapped to the same button - you had the same action (move more quickly toward enemy), but it was expressed differently depending on the context.

However, in your game, pressing E next to an inventory screen (like a berry bush or a chest) opens it... and pushing it again with a window open closes it. The natural behavior I would expect would be for the E key to take the first item offered in the window, with a separate bind for "take everything." I do not expect the window to close on a second key push, and while it's not impossible to teach myself that, it IS a bit jarring.

Writing & Editing & Spellchecking, oh my!
As a general rule, spelling mistakes are bad to have in games. If you want to have a stylistic misspelling, it's better to make it painfully obvious that it's intentional, otherwise people suspect shoddy writing or slapdash editing, and it can break immersion for players.

By my count, this demo is averaging roughly two spelling or grammatical mistakes per conversation, which makes it really rough to read as a native English speaker. It's not incomprehensible, but compared to the rest of the production value in this game, it's definitely jarring.

Object highlighting
Many players will be playing this on a laptop or other device with a flat panel display. Flat panel displays, especially cheaper ones, are infamous for having fairly heavy ghosting on motion. The small sparkle you're using to highlight interactable objects doesn't have enough contrast with the surrounding landscape to stand out, and on a display where a player is quickly moving through an area, it can be difficult or impossible to spot this highlighting. Requiring players to stop, look around for sparkles, and then resume moving every screen is frustrating.

That's all for now. Will post more later.

Reactions: axelaen and jinx55

WildFeyGames-Nis

Game Developer
Feb 14, 2020
Took some notes.

Contextual buttons
These are... controversial, to say the least, when it comes to UX design. Note by "contextual button," I mean a situation where pushing "A" does one thing if one condition is true, but something entirely different if a something else is true. Generally speaking, it's best to have one button do one thing, and if you really want to make one button do multiple things, it's best to have them maintain the same task direction.

Take fallout four as an example. In that game, the interact key does a LOT of things, but it's always based around claiming something in the world. Pushing E interacts with objects, picks up items from the ground, buys items from vendors, confirms menu options, etc. In some of the older Gears of War games, where you had sprint and vault mapped to the same button - you had the same action (move more quickly toward enemy), but it was expressed differently depending on the context.

However, in your game, pressing E next to an inventory screen (like a berry bush or a chest) opens it... and pushing it again with a window open closes it. The natural behavior I would expect would be for the E key to take the first item offered in the window, with a separate bind for "take everything." I do not expect the window to close on a second key push, and while it's not impossible to teach myself that, it IS a bit jarring.

Writing & Editing & Spellchecking, oh my!
As a general rule, spelling mistakes are bad to have in games. If you want to have a stylistic misspelling, it's better to make it painfully obvious that it's intentional, otherwise people suspect shoddy writing or slapdash editing, and it can break immersion for players.

By my count, this demo is averaging roughly two spelling or grammatical mistakes per conversation, which makes it really rough to read as a native English speaker. It's not incomprehensible, but compared to the rest of the production value in this game, it's definitely jarring.

Object highlighting
Many players will be playing this on a laptop or other device with a flat panel display. Flat panel displays, especially cheaper ones, are infamous for having fairly heavy ghosting on motion. The small sparkle you're using to highlight interactable objects doesn't have enough contrast with the surrounding landscape to stand out, and on a display where a player is quickly moving through an area, it can be difficult or impossible to spot this highlighting. Requiring players to stop, look around for sparkles, and then resume moving every screen is frustrating.

That's all for now. Will post more later.

Thanks for taking some time with it!

I get your point about the buttons and the object highlight, and getting an editor/proofreader is something we have to look into in the future. For now I try to take extra care with it to at least cut down on the errors (it sound much worse than I thought).

Seipherwood

Sep 8, 2017
How do i get this into windowed mode? Every other unity thing usually pops up with letting us choose our window size? (Alt+Enter doesnt work since its off the screen partially)

Scanlines in fullscreen make it rough to play =(

*EDIT* Also, any plans for controller support?

WildFeyGames-Nis

Game Developer
Feb 14, 2020
How do i get this into windowed mode? Every other unity thing usually pops up with letting us choose our window size? (Alt+Enter doesnt work since its off the screen partially)

Scanlines in fullscreen make it rough to play =(

*EDIT* Also, any plans for controller support?
Windowed mode comes in the next release. (Fullscreen is currenly forced in the game and it doesn't work well with certain resolutions).
Controller/keyboard only support is definitely something we want to do in the future, but it isn't something that is currently on the table. (Probably when Act 1 is nearly complete we will start working on key rebinding, controller/keyboard only support etc..)

WildFeyGames-Nis

Game Developer
Feb 14, 2020
Can't return from gathering herbs, any level exit trigger just ends in fade out to blank screen and won't load. What could be the issue?
I can't find what could cause the issue.

If anyone has a similar issue please send me a pm, it would like to know if other people have similar issues.

PS: I sent you a pm with a few question.

Edit: The issue have been resolved. It shouldn't effect other people.

Last edited:

Bertus8

Apr 26, 2018
The only thing that bothers me is that the pigmy call the character "big sis". are they implyed to be just an excuse for shoving undercover shota content? That would make everything less nice.

Doragor

Sep 9, 2018
Why are you posting a downgraded version?
The 0.3.2a Beta version has twice the amount of content.

DOAMaster81

Oct 8, 2017
hmm.. everytime i try to start the game i get the error: unityplayer.dll is missing does someone know how to fix this?

WildFeyGames-Nis

Game Developer
Feb 14, 2020
The only thing that bothers me is that the pigmy call the character "big sis". are they implyed to be just an excuse for shoving undercover shota content? That would make everything less nice.
No, more information about the pygmies will turn up in the story. They are an integral part of the regions story/history. Pygmies view other humanoids (mainly the Swampfolk and Kara's ancestors the Hunter's clan) as hated relatives.

WildFeyGames-Nis

Game Developer
Feb 14, 2020
Why are you posting a downgraded version?
The 0.3.2a Beta version has twice the amount of content.

That's an older version, older build, even if it has more CG and playable area. The older upload doesn't represent what we wanted.
We progressed too quickly and had to take shortcuts in some places, that led the flow of the story off the original script. 0.2, 0.3 version was more about getting out more content. Now we want to correct some story elements to be more natural, and to have a better flow.

The older version is still up and it isn't hard to find (we have a link to it in our patreon). We didn't want to delete it. It's a bit of look back for us to how much we progressed and learned.

Bertus8

Apr 26, 2018
No, more information about the pygmies will turn up in the story. They are an integral part of the regions story/history. Pygmies view other humanoids (mainly the Swampfolk and Kara's ancestors the Hunter's clan) as hated relatives.
Then why they call her "Big sister " instead of anything like "long legs", "filthy human" or "Mon'keigh"

WildFeyGames-Nis

Game Developer
Feb 14, 2020
Then why they call her "Big sister " instead of anything like "long legs", "filthy human" or "Mon'keigh"
Short: Sister as people of (different) nations can be called "Brothers", or in certain cultures where you might call someone "brother" saying friend (even to strangers, a lot of shady people start conversation with this).

Long: It's a piece of information about the pygmies view of the world. Pygmies view other pygmies as brothers and rarely view their own offspring as a father/child relationship (mainly because of the strange reproduction making pygmies clones of each other most of the time). They also believe they are related to other denizens of the swamp (no further spoiler about that). From the pygmies point of view it's a way to ease someone into thinking they mean no (serious) harm.

Sep 13, 2017
WildFeyGames-Nis

I like it! Obviously someone cared about those animations. Combat could be faster, though.

I hope this wont turn into one of those games with meaningless choices.
A - Character doesnt want to do that.
B - Character doesnt want to do that.
C - Gets you killed.
D - Forces you to reload.
E - Same result as option F.
F - Only real choice.
Similarly, it is debatable if it is meaningful to have equipment slots when you cant remove stuff.

3.90 star(s) 14 Votes