3.80 star(s) 63 Votes

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
Fake sandbox game. A little disclaimer would've been nice. Putting a navigation UI every once in a while doesn't make it a sandbox. I get why people tend to prefer VN games but since it's a little hard to find an exciting story, I tend to skip most of the conversations until I see some interesting choices. Anyway, I've played enough to endorse the quality of the renders and the animations but I can't recommend this game in general to any sandbox enjoyers.
so far haven't met any who actually loved sandboxes, some tolerate those.

bloombee

Sep 16, 2017
I'm guessing you played the earlier chapters. They pretty much ditched the "sandbox" part halfway through.
Yes. I've only played 3 chapters. Didn't like how the navigation UI was implemented. Thank you for the input

I feel like the infamy surrounding sandbox games are fair. But I like some elements of it. I'm definitely not defending any ridiculous, grind fuck fests where you read to gain intellect, run to get fit etc types... but I really like the map and navigation features where you have the freedom to choose where you wanna go and there's actually some stuff around each corner, in each time of day. This makes it so I can actually read what the characters are saying and the context becomes much clear. Now, I know some people hate the repetitiveness of sandbox games, but that's the only actual thing I can tolerate if characters, renders and places look interesting. That's why I tend to use cheats to annihilate grindy parts and focus on what I would like to pursue. Don't get me wrong, I adore so many VN games and love reading through each conversation but most of the time they are pretty generic and not interesting. Which in the end, lineate me towards choosing sandbox games.

ffive

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2022
Depends on the sandbox and personal tastes, obv. E.g., Degrees of Lewdity is a popular game and i don't think it's despite being a sandbox. Suspect this sort of gameplay is in general more popular with people who like simulations and/or crafting their own stories, though.

misfolk

Jan 22, 2021
There are two kinds of sandboxes:

• Sandox A is basically a nonlinear VN: you get the same scenes, but you can pick the order. Chapter 4 of this game is sandbox A, as are Lust Theory and certain sequences of On Distant Shores
  • Sandbox B differs by having additional non-VN mechanics, tenderly referred to as "grinding". Summertime Saga is one, as are Love and Sex: Second Base and Another Chace (to a much greater extent).
I don't really mind Sandbox A type games. Finding the next event trigger can be annoying, but SHS just gives you a list of things to do.

Reactions: ffive

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
When will Episodes 8, 9, and 10 be available on here?
If you aren't afraid to use CheatEngine, search for the Shale Hill Secrets thread with the CE table that gets you through the current releases. The guy is really good at updating as soon as a new version hits.

misfolk

Jan 22, 2021
I don't mind detective stories where I am dumber than the character. But the other way around can be frustrating. Just how many more episodes will it take for the MC to realize that the daughter Amiran is looking for is Valerie? The last few episodes practically spell it out, but he's so blind. I'll admit I missed the whole Cedric=burglar, but I got Sandra=Hank as soon as I saw her text messages.

charlesrich

May 30, 2021
I don't mind detective stories where I am dumber than the character. But the other way around can be frustrating. Just how many more episodes will it take for the MC to realize that the daughter Amiran is looking for is Valerie? The last few episodes practically spell it out, but he's so blind. I'll admit I missed the whole Cedric=burglar, but I got Sandra=Hank as soon as I saw her text messages.
Did you figure out how Linus is in on it?

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
Man it took four episodes before they released another free one since ep.6
I'd be surprised if they made ep.8 for free in the next update.
well if semi-monthly updates then 5 months until september that means there will be ~3 updates at least, prolly 4.

misfolk

Jan 22, 2021
Did you figure out how Linus is in on it?
Nope. That email from his mom doesn't match anything else. He could just be a foil, someone to show how the MC is drifting further away from the mundane world.

What I am wondering about is the identity of the strangler clown. It's a woman, and Silent1 claims to be her during the next chat. This poses an interesting question, given that RECENTLY is at least ten years old. In a proper detective story, we should be able to deduce the identity of the criminal, so it can't be someone we don't know.

If Silent1 is telling the truth, she must be a middle-aged woman. There simply aren't that many of them in the game. There's Carmen and there's the new substitute teacher, both rather unlikely candidates.

If Silent1 is telling a lie, then they must have ordered someone to half-strangle the MC. It doesn't have to be someone we know, but I think it is. It's not Sam/Lidia/Maggie/Haley, Kristen, Alexis or Emily for obvious reasons. This leaves Leah and Valerie as two possible perps, and I think it's Valerie. (Heavily hinted at by her saying "I will let you breathe" in the MC's dream)

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: denmike92

ReaperGD

Jul 29, 2020
well if semi-monthly updates then 5 months until september that means there will be ~3 updates at least, prolly 4.
True. If all is well, assuming that kind of pace, the game could be finished by this year. That is if the rumor about the game being shorter than DFD or DH is true, of course.

misfolk

Jan 22, 2021
Thought I posted this last night, but I think the 2am update was happening at the same time and killed it...

I may be remembering wrong, but I thought the MC's high school was about an hour or two drive from Shale Hill, not in Shale Hill. The reason this comes up is that, in Ep9, there's a flashback to when Leah broke into the principal's office, and when MC picks her up, it is from the Shale Hill PD. Am I remembering wrong, or is this a "continuity" issue?
Yes, if their school is in the exurbs (it's far enough that everyone rents or lives in the dorms), it should be the local county sheriff that arrests Leah. However, if Shale Hill is in New England (and judging by its architecture, it might be), then it all makes sense: there are practically no counties in New England, only towns. All of New York state (if you don't consider it New England) is incorporated as well.

Last edited:

misfolk

Jan 22, 2021
True. If all is well, assuming that kind of pace, the game could be finished by this year. That is if the rumor about the game being shorter than DFD or DH is true, of course.
There isn't that many secrets left to uncover:
  • why is Kristen such a bitch (not enough vitamin D, if you know what I mean)
  • is Alexis really a psychopath
  • Valerie's dark secret
  • Leah's secret plan with Craven
  • what's the deal with Batman
  • why is USPIS looking for Silent1
  • what's the deal with Dante's flaming heterosexuality
  • what's the deal with Linus' crazy mom
  • what's the deal with the Indian girl
Wait, no, that's a lot of secrets left.

• Haha
Reactions: cxx and CrookedDick

ReaperGD

Jul 29, 2020
There isn't that many secrets left to uncover:
  • why is Kristen such a bitch (not enough vitamin D, if you know what I mean)
  • is Alexis really a psychopath
  • Valerie's dark secret
  • Leah's secret plan with Craven
  • what's the deal with Batman
  • why is USPIS looking for Silent1
  • what's the deal with Dante's flaming heterosexuality
  • what's the deal with Linus' crazy mom
  • what's the deal with the Indian girl
Wait, no, that's a lot of secrets left.
Tbh I stopped keeping up with most of the story, especially now that I finally got my Leah scene. I still play through it for lulz.

3.80 star(s) 63 Votes