Sharing my process of creating a game

Max Craving

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2017
Looks pretty nice but you should consider drawing more furniture.

Take a look around your bedroom, you have more things than a bed and a mirror: Nightstand, lamps, socket... Details matter!
Thank you) Maybe, I'm just too bored drawing this shit :)

Good advice, actually, I did avoid this area.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Haha, I can understand that!

I was not bored but I was quite bad at drawing backgrounds (Well I am not an artist so I am generally bad at drawing but I do slightly better with characters) so with the game I am currently developing I discarded backgrounds in general.

Reactions: Max Craving

Max Craving

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2017
Haha, I can understand that!

I was not bored but I was quite bad at drawing backgrounds (Well I am not an artist so I am generally bad at drawing but I do slightly better with characters) so with the game I am currently developing I discarded backgrounds in general.
Cheater :sneaky:

Reactions: Winterfire

Max Craving

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2017
Daily report

Not much of interesting today, I’m sending this just to keep discipline. Continued to draw second introducing screen and got procrastinated as shit. Played a game and found interesting the idea to draw a room just once and later just add characters to it, in various circumstances. My lazyness ordered me definitely to do so, but after a plugged my analytical mind to that idea, I had decided to do it only if it will not reduce the quality.

Making a game first-person view requires a lot of viewpoints, but I want it to be like this, because it’s more immersive.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Daily report

Not much of interesting today, I’m sending this just to keep discipline. Continued to draw second introducing screen and got procrastinated as shit. Played a game and found interesting the idea to draw a room just once and later just add characters to it, in various circumstances. My lazyness ordered me definitely to do so, but after a plugged my analytical mind to that idea, I had decided to do it only if it will not reduce the quality.

Making a game first-person view requires a lot of viewpoints, but I want it to be like this, because it’s more immersive.
Yeah, drawing the room only once is (I think) the standard procedure except when a different angle is needed... To avoid having to think about furniture on the moment and lose time or worse, drawing something that doesn't make sense considering the angle, I usually draw a small "top view" map to know where each thing is.

Also, I think not many people are interested in the background but rather the hentai part of the image, so another "trick" to avoid drawing too much of the background is to dedicate as much space to the girl as possible, it is often a win/win for everybody.

vnAdult

Dec 11, 2018
Daily report

Logs help us keep on track. Add the low quality and then refine. Keep it hidden from release if you must, but keep it there.

Max Craving

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2017
Yeah, drawing the room only once is (I think) the standard procedure except when a different angle is needed... To avoid having to think about furniture on the moment and lose time or worse, drawing something that doesn't make sense considering the angle, I usually draw a small "top view" map to know where each thing is.

Also, I think not many people are interested in the background but rather the hentai part of the image, so another "trick" to avoid drawing too much of the background is to dedicate as much space to the girl as possible, it is often a win/win for everybody.
I agree, thanks) Unfortunately, to make it more immersive, I decided to draw realistic distance between hero and what he sees. I think I will do free-flying camera only in sex scenes, because otherwise it may look tangled to switch between hero's eyes and some point in the air – how to distinguish where he stands and where is just camera?

I already did the map, while thinking where everything should be) But now with your help, I see that more furniture needed.

Max Craving

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2017
Logs help us keep on track. Add the low quality and then refine. Keep it hidden from release if you must, but keep it there.
Yeah, they are. I think I'll lose my mind if I will do the easiest work in the beginning, and then I would have to do all the hard work at once.

RedGlow

Aug 5, 2016
Picture looks pretty good. I found that her mouth looks weird and bedroom looks pretty empty. Other than that yeah, pretty good.

Max Craving

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2017
Picture looks pretty good. I found that her mouth looks weird and bedroom looks pretty empty. Other than that yeah, pretty good.
Thank you! Yes, you actually pointed at my weakest spots, for now) Working on them.

Max Craving

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2017
Looks Good.

My Tips are... finishing a project is all about saving on time costs.

Every hour of planning will save your five hours of development time, so the more planning the better.

But you can also save time on planning, every hour of high level planning will save you five hours of lower level planning.

So for planning you could do it in some order from high level to low, for example:

1) The general emotions of the game, high emotions? low emotions? general emotion?
2) The general themes of the game
3) The most important scene in the game
4) The characters, how do they feel? think? talk? why are they the way they are?
5) The character of the world? What is the mood of the world? does it change? Why is the world the way it is?
6) Daily lives of the characters? What is there normal daily life? What are their backstories? How do they usually interact with the environment? (questions like this, can help you make decisions for example... what to put on a woman's night stand)
6) Specific Locations
7) Specific Story Lines

I saved a tone of time by planning for my last game, but now that it's finished I wish I had spent even more time planning.
Yes, I agree, thank you. I did something like this, there is a message before that in this thread with the link to questions how to create a lively character. But you added some important pieces to it, I will apply that.

Max Craving

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2017
Daily report

Today was not much of game developing either, just started to draw tho hours before going to sleep. Completed to draw outlines of the second introducing screen, and had a difficult choice to decide colors in mom's room. Because when I answered the questions about the character, I found out that the first picture, where she sleeps, have very wrong color of walls and floor in her room.

So I came up with one good looking colour for walls and putted it into colorscheme to see what floor colour can I pick with not making players eyes bleed. Colorscheme is a great tool to match colors – that I learned today.

Almost finished to do third art, understood many things during drawing it, and I think next picture will be more and more fast to draw, because I make many stupid mistakes and it waste a lot of time.

But, I see that my finished pictures are pretty good, and it motivates me to keep pushing it.

Thanos247

Devourer of Worlds
Donor
Jun 11, 2017
Looks Good.

My Tips are... finishing a project is all about saving on time costs.

Every hour of planning will save your five hours of development time, so the more planning the better.

But you can also save time on planning, every hour of high level planning will save you five hours of lower level planning.

So for planning you could do it in some order from high level to low, for example:

1) The general emotions of the game, high emotions? low emotions? general emotion?
2) The general themes of the game
3) The most important scene in the game
4) The characters, how do they feel? think? talk? why are they the way they are?
5) The character of the world? What is the mood of the world? does it change? Why is the world the way it is?
6) Daily lives of the characters? What is there normal daily life? What are their backstories? How do they usually interact with the environment? (questions like this, can help you make decisions for example... what to put on a woman's night stand)
6) Specific Locations
7) Specific Story Lines

I saved a tone of time by planning for my last game, but now that it's finished I wish I had spent even more time planning.
I’ve never made one of these games (yet), but I have written stories and will 100% agree with you. I really like the fact your talking about the world these people live in, as that’s something left out too often. Walking down Gotham city at night is different then following the yellow brick road to Emerald city, to being different then waiting at the bus stop in South Park.

Thanos247

Devourer of Worlds
Donor
Jun 11, 2017
To the OP; I hope you keep to your story and don’t give in to any backlash you get. People here seem to love to complain about anything that doesn’t have a happy ending or isn’t sunshine and rainbows. But if you look at some of the best stories ever written, there filled things that aren’t PG rated. Take Game of Thrones for example. That’s all I really need to say.

Have fun and I hope to see your project on here with lots of success.

Max Craving

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2017
To the OP; I hope you keep to your story and don’t give in to any backlash you get. People here seem to love to complain about anything that doesn’t have a happy ending or isn’t sunshine and rainbows. But if you look at some of the best stories ever written, there filled things that aren’t PG rated. Take Game of Thrones for example. That’s all I really need to say.

Have fun and I hope to see your project on here with lots of success.
Thanks!

Reactions: Thanos247

Max Craving

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2017
Daily report

Today I've finished to draw the second introducing screen. Finally I've decided the colors for furniture and door. My new phobia is to draw and color fucking furniture. Barely did good-looking shadows. Tried to draw the light, but result was not satisfying. Got demotivated, because image quality is worse than I want to. But for now, my skill is not letting me do it better, so I saved the picture as is.

Started to think up idea for the next picture, and it was not good either. Tried to do something 20 minutes more, nothing good as a result, and I decided to have some rest from it.

Later returned, watched my finished picture once again. It is not that bad, actually. I remembered the trick for artist – to look at your finished image in the mirror to see it as the first time. Looked at it, and it is good, actually!

Got motivated again. Thinked about the idea how to make next picture and got a good one. Tomorrow I will continue to create my crazy shit.

For now, I already have three finished pictures. It is good, if I compare it to month back, when I didn't even started to draw and had no idea about the game I am creating now.

Next few pictures will be fast to do, because they have the same frame, and just a little details will be differed in them. So I think my game is about 7% complete now. I will count it to see my progress.

By the way, today I have learned a few important lessons in Photoshop. Tough periods are good for that.

Max Craving

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2017
Yah I totally agree. It's the world that creates our characters in a way.

While they both have their specific origins, Gotham created both batman and the joker. The overly controlling, tight spaces, claustrophobic world of Clock Work Orange Created the main character, who just wanted to be free and go crazy. It's not just the culture of the world, but the spaces, shapes, colors, textures, designs, and weather of the world that create the characters. I had a very removed understanding of Islam until I went to the middle east, and felt the openness of desert, and saw the intricate designs of their structures... it was a world that was highly conducive towards letting go of logic and reason and embarrassing a deeper intuition about things.

I think I'm going to have to think, and imagine, and feel a lot more with the world for my next game. It's like the true mother of everything, of all characters, and all situations... a good starting point.
I totally agree with that

Max Craving

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2017
Daily report

Not much of a game developing today, just dealt with my life stuff. In the morning I've started to draw a new picture, made mostly all outlines for it. Tomorrow, I think, I'll finish it and finish one more pic, because they are easy.

Approximate progress: 7% complete.