Sharing my process of creating a game

Max Craving

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2017
Nice. My only rule for myself is that I make 'some' progress, everyday, Monday to Friday after work. If you make some commitment like that, you'll wake up in like 2 years and your game will be completely finished. But for me, 'some' work is anything, even planning is counted.
I 100% agree) I had completed a few big goals in my life with that attitude. That's why I write the reports: to remind myself that today I did something important, because if I'll not write it, it seems like I did almost nothing. And when I write it, i start to remember how much of important stuff I did and learned today, even if it was short period of time.

lancelotdulak

Nov 7, 2018
If youre into the drawing do the drawing. btw your pic is ultrasimple but.. i like it. But realise the sheer AMOUNT of content what youre wanting to do requires... Even 2 branches of a decision doubles your content requirements at each decision.. do the math (binary math.. 2.. 4... 8... 16.. 32... 64... 128..). Also id suggest downloading daz

There is a way to do this.. ONE way. A sandbox. Unity or unreal engine. Using 3d graphics. Youre going to hit an insurmountable wall otherwise about scene 4. where you literally cannot produce enough content even if you reuse content.

Unity will be faster /easier to learn. Unreal if you want Stunning graphics. People are being nice but there is no way you can create enough scenes to do what you want . is seriously suggest putting in the time to learn ue4 or unity. Bare minimum daz

Reactions: Max Craving

lancelotdulak

Nov 7, 2018
Theres also another option. Just create a comic. You seem to love making the art most of all and need to get things out and express yourself. You can always make a comic. Theres Nothing wrong w that... comics of one sort or another have influenced people and society far more than games (think.. superman.. batman..)

Max Craving

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2017
If youre into the drawing do the drawing. btw your pic is ultrasimple but.. i like it. But realise the sheer AMOUNT of content what youre wanting to do requires... Even 2 branches of a decision doubles your content requirements at each decision.. do the math (binary math.. 2.. 4... 8... 16.. 32... 64... 128..). Also id suggest downloading daz

There is a way to do this.. ONE way. A sandbox. Unity or unreal engine. Using 3d graphics. Youre going to hit an insurmountable wall otherwise about scene 4. where you literally cannot produce enough content even if you reuse content.

Unity will be faster /easier to learn. Unreal if you want Stunning graphics. People are being nice but there is no way you can create enough scenes to do what you want . is seriously suggest putting in the time to learn ue4 or unity. Bare minimum daz
Thank you for your feedback, but I've decided already what I am doing and I don't want to get lost in different options how I can do it. I've tried to do 3d models, it was my original idea year ago (I even bought expensive laptop for it), but I found one big obstacle with 3d models– content. There are very limited amount of content, and I was having much trouble with finding what I want to see in my scenes. That's why I decided to draw my scenes, not use 3d models.

About engine – I want to use Ren'Py, because I think it is very simple and enough for my game. Take Lust and Power game, I want to do something like this.

About the branches of decisions – yes, it is a big problem to draw all of it. But it is what will make my game special. Don't many are ready to make so much of art and think over all those branches and consequences, and it will be my unique feature. I will just add them one after another, it is actually the main reason I make this game – to give people that opportunity to feel free in my game and do what they want.

You right – I had chose a difficult way to make it, but I want to do it.

Max Craving

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2017
Daily report

Worked a few hours on the game today. Finished one picture which was only half-ready, and drawed the initial outlines for another.

I was worried about drawing a face, because I thought it will be very difficult and could take a few days. But it turned out pretty easy if I draw it upon the photo. Now it's 5 pictures finished, and I started to do it more or less easy. I've started to feel the pattern in my actions, not buncha not-unerstandable actions, drawing by guess, like how it was in the beginning. That's good. But also I noticed that drawing became a routine, not very exciting like the first days.

Anyway, I continue.

Developing progress: 10% complete.

vnAdult

Dec 11, 2018
Daily report

Worked a few hours on the game today. Finished one picture which was only half-ready, and drawed the initial outlines for another.

I was worried about drawing a face, because I thought it will be very difficult and could take a few days. But it turned out pretty easy if I draw it upon the photo. Now it's 5 pictures finished, and I started to do it more or less easy. I've started to feel the pattern in my actions, not buncha not-unerstandable actions, drawing by guess, like how it was in the beginning. That's good. But also I noticed that drawing became a routine, not very exciting like the first days.

Anyway, I continue.

Developing progress: 10% complete.
Show us some teasers.:censored:

Max Craving

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2017
Daily report

Hour or two spent on drawing today. Also I've been upgrading the list of question to make a character. I understood yesterday before going to sleep, that character description is important, but also important to describe relationships between the characters in the start of the game. Especially sex-related relationships, like what character think about other character sexually, and what they would think, if they will try to harass them.

It is the game, based on sex content, and I think this is as much important to know that stuff, as character's backstory. For example – what this female really would feel when the main hero will try to fuck her? Not what she will act like – what she would feel? That's interesting area to think about before making the scenes and dialogues.

Wrote 35 good draft questions to understand the relationships more deeply, and plus 35 to answer backwards – what this character thinks about what other character thinks of it. It is waaay fucking complicated, even for my sick mind, but I think it is good to differ, for example – what female thinks could happen, so she can fuck with main hero? And what that female thinks about what main hero thinks about what could happen so he can fuck this female? Difficult, but interesting.

Also I had thinked up the way I will keep all of my scenes/dialogues/connections between them. It is mindmap, I think it will be useful to navigate between places and dialogues, branches, when it will be too many of them. And it will make possible to watch where is too much content, and where is lack of it.

About art – I've finished outlines for previous picture today, and only the coloring is left for it.

As @vnAdult ordered – some teasers :)

Max Craving

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2017
Daily report

Drawed for a hour today. Finished the previous picture, thinked up the idea of next and began to draw it. Expanded the mindmap a bit. Had to work on the main job, looks like I've lost all the creative power in it today.

P.s. The hardest thing was to draw a face in a little space. I had to draw it in the big picture, and then reduce it, to make it look at least not 100% idiotic. Imagine hot female with silly face – it's not hot, it's funny, even if body is gorgeus.

P.p.s. learned the way to draw even more fast. Every time I finish the picture, I notice that feeling. In this moments, I wish to begin this picture again, but it's finished already, and all that's left is try it on the next one. It's like a puzzle solving.

Max Craving

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2017
Daily report

Today I realized that my drawing skills are completely sucks and I can make only a copies of pictures with funny cartoon environment. I want to create, not copy. So I signed up for drawing training. Maybe I'll continue this mini-game, maybe I'll start from the scratch with my own pictures. Maybe I just tired. I will work on the universe and the plot more, for now.

OhJo

Feb 20, 2019
Good luck! Takes guts to admit you need help with something, great attitude. Remember to have fun with it. ;)

Max Craving

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2017
Daily report

Today I've just learned to draw, nothing straight related to the game. For time, I will learn to draw, before making this game. Daily reports ceased until I will continue to draw pictures for the game.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
You should learn to draw while making a game imho.
Even if it is another one for the sake of learning while making something simple, you learn to draw and get more comfortable with ren'py, it is a win-win.

Take a look at: my old project and then compare it with the latest CG of the same game or to my recent one (signature), while I did not become an artist I think it is decent enough for a game.

-edit-
Faster comparison: I released the first version of Sexymon Adventures on 27 September 2018 and the ass in my signature on 1st November 2018, that is roughly ~1 month progress.

If you draw with a purpose it will feel nicer and you will improve faster.
Not saying you will not improve otherwise but you will surely have more motivation.

Max Craving

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2017
You should learn to draw while making a game imho.
Even if it is another one for the sake of learning while making something simple, you learn to draw and get more comfortable with ren'py, it is a win-win.

Take a look at: my old project and then compare it with the latest CG of the same game or to my recent one (signature), while I did not become an artist I think it is decent enough for a game.

-edit-
Faster comparison: I released the first version of Sexymon Adventures on 27 September 2018 and the ass in my signature on 1st November 2018, that is roughly ~1 month progress.

If you draw with a purpose it will feel nicer and you will improve faster.
Not saying you will not improve otherwise but you will surely have more motivation.
Yeah, good progress indeed) I agree, but I could spend some days drawing balls and squares, and that’s why I stopped daily reports. I will draw things related to game when I’ll have a chance.

Reactions: Winterfire

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Yeah, good progress indeed) I agree, but I could spend some days drawing balls and squares, and that’s why I stopped daily reports. I will draw things related to game when I’ll have a chance
I was about to suggest you otherwise but I understand that each and every person has a different method to learn so all I can do is wish you good luck!

Max Craving

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2017
Hello! I'm not died, I just learning to draw a bit slowly. Anatomy is happened to be tough thing to learn, if I want to draw good bodies. Attaching the recent scetch:

Reactions: Saki_Sliz

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Hello! I'm not died, I just learning to draw a bit slowly. Anatomy is happened to be tough thing to learn, if I want to draw good bodies. Attaching the recent scetch:
Yep. I had to stop art and focus on anatomy for 2 years before I could come back feeling like I could draw bodies good. Now I am struggling to figure out how to do more stylized character designs, learning what rules to break along the way, art is a tough road.

Max Craving

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2017
Yep. I had to stop art and focus on anatomy for 2 years before I could come back feeling like I could draw bodies good. Now I am struggling to figure out how to do more stylized character designs, learning what rules to break along the way, art is a tough road.
Glad that someone understands me. Quality takes time. Best of luck! : )

Reactions: Saki_Sliz