Ren'Py Simple Beginnings [Ep. 5 v1.5.0 BETA] [Barbiecued]

4.00 star(s) 5 Votes

menatv

Dec 6, 2019
Welcome! And nice tags. Good looking renders. Will give this one a go.

Edit: OK, did play it. And I generally liked it. The renders are great. All that imagery is very well done. Nicely done for an early release demo. My only real complaint that it is starting off a bit slow for me. All we did was basically go through a mundane sort of day with small talk between friends. Which is fine, but I hope it picks up from there. Oh and Jenny's friend does get on my nerves at times. Anyway, will continue to look in on the progress of this one. Good job, dev!

Last edited:

JenMistress

Engaged Member
Oct 1, 2019
So, I decided to give this shot. And the MC being named Jenny, well, Jenny, Jen, close enough, pretty much the same name, and with freckles, kinda looks a bit like me too, so really digging this little bit we have here thus far, and looking forward to see where this goes. Thank you so very much for this!!!

• Red Heart
Reactions: Barbiecued

Barbiecued

Game Developer
Mar 12, 2019
Cool, are we able to play as a lesbian or does the MC have previous partners or crushes? Will her inner monologues have a forced sexuality?

I'm not suggesting it has to be one way or another, i just like to know what my options are, personally i prefer lesbian games when playing a female protagonist but i'm not exclusive to them, a straight girl game is fun once in a while, if it's written well.
Relatively speaking, Jenny is quite inexperienced when it comes to her feelings, and love, so naturally she hasn't really explored that side yet. But as I said before, there will be love interests on both sides of the coin. :giggle:

Reactions: botc76 and Jccurtis

Barbiecued

Game Developer
Mar 12, 2019
That's cool, i just want to nail down the specifics cause it matters to many and you'll get a semi-regular amount of people trickling into your thread in the future with the same question. So to be clear, if one was to play Jenny as a lesbian or bi or straight, would the game reflect this or can we expect things like 'lesbian' Jenny's thinking 'oh that guy's hot' in inner monologue text?
I'll just add bisexual tag, I hope that makes it clearer.

Barbiecued

Game Developer
Mar 12, 2019
Yeah ok, see, no, you're not actually answering the question and just adding a tag is ambiguous cause no tag here says whether the content is forced or optional. So specifically, yes or no, if one plays their Jenny as a pure lesbian, will she make comments or have thoughts about being attracted to men? Will the inverse be true, an exclusively straight Jenny getting turned on by girls?

It's ok if the answer is yes, it's ok if the answer is no, but you need to have a clear answer for these questions.
I've said it several times now; there will be love interest for both sexes/genders/nouns and adding bisexual tag is meant to represent the fact that she is attracted to both genders. I also said that she doesn't know what she wants at this point because she hasn't experienced love yet. Which in essence is meant to represent that nothing is forced on you which is why I have implemented the "Crossroads/Important choices" mechanic. The choices you make here will make it clear to what she feel or what she wants. (y)

CutieLvr

Engaged Member
Jun 3, 2020
Excellent start to your story. I would hope to see improvement in the renders, or is this your particular style? I can adapt. I am very interested to see where you plan to take this story. I will be following this game. Speaking of which, any idea as to when will be the next update? I would like to see some incest in the game, but, with the sister missing and that douchebag stepfather, I don't see any incest except with the Mom. Not sure if you'd want to go that direction, but, if you did, you could always make it optional.
I already dislike the stepfather, and his being a former Marine, makes me very angry. My heartstrings are already pulling for Jenny.
The best of luck with your progress.

Barbiecued

Game Developer
Mar 12, 2019
Excellent start to your story. I would hope to see improvement in the renders, or is this your particular style? I can adapt. I am very interested to see where you plan to take this story. I will be following this game. Speaking of which, any idea as to when will be the next update? I would like to see some incest in the game, but, with the sister missing and that douchebag stepfather, I don't see any incest except with the Mom. Not sure if you'd want to go that direction, but, if you did, you could always make it optional.
I already dislike the stepfather, and his being a former Marine, makes me very angry. My heartstrings are already pulling for Jenny.
The best of luck with your progress.
Thanks for your interest! I've had a couple of weeks of vacation since the episode 1. I work fulltime, have a social life and do this as a side-project, hoping to be able to do this as a fulltime job instead in the future. Since I do everything myself on top of all that it takes a little more effort on my part, but I won't be the dev that releases two times a year. Episode 2 will be out within three weeks at most.

As for the renders, I have finished up to episode 6 already, but there's a lot here in the beginning that I'm redoing because it doesn't hold up to the standards of my latest work. The style won't change in this game, but I might do things differently in the next installment of the Pennybridge universe.

As for incest, I don't have any plans to include that in Jenny's character arc, and I currently don't "see" any of that genre in any of the characters in her story right now.

That isn't to say I'm against that genre, not at all. Originally, Jenny's story is based on a draft of a short and dark novel I wrote about Jenny and her enduring sexual abuse by her stepfather. To be honest, I'm not sure about what I can or can't do regards to graphic genres like that. Patreon is picky about that and so is Steam, which is my end goal when all the seasons is finished and polished for full release.

I'm open for suggestions about this, and I'll be reading the forums to get around stuff like this in the future releases.

Edit: Since there has been so many people asking about incest, I'm thinking of doing requests for scenes/renders with characters later on my Patreon that members can vote for every month or something like that. It won't be canon, but just to satisfy whatever fantasies people have about the characters

Last edited:

CutieLvr

Engaged Member
Jun 3, 2020
Thanks for your interest! I've had a couple of weeks of vacation since the episode 1. I work fulltime, have a social life and do this as a side-project, hoping to be able to do this as a fulltime job instead in the future. Since I do everything myself on top of all that it takes a little more effort on my part, but I won't be the dev that releases two times a year. Episode 2 will be out within three weeks at most.

As for the renders, I have finished up to episode 6 already, but there's a lot here in the beginning that I'm redoing because it doesn't hold up to the standards of my latest work. The style won't change in this game, but I might do things differently in the next installment of the Pennybridge universe.

As for incest, I don't have any plans to include that in Jenny's character arc, and I currently don't "see" any of that genre in any of the characters in her story right now.

That isn't to say I'm against that genre, not at all. Originally, Jenny's story is based on a draft of a short and dark novel I wrote about Jenny and her enduring sexual abuse by her stepfather. To be honest, I'm not sure about what I can or can't do regards to graphic genres like that. Patreon is picky about that and so is Steam, which is my end goal when all the seasons is finished and polished for full release.

I'm open for suggestions about this, and I'll be reading the forums to get around stuff like this in the future releases.

Edit: Since there has been so many people asking about incest, I'm thinking of doing requests for scenes/renders with characters later on my Patreon that members can vote for every month or something like that. It won't be canon, but just to satisfy whatever fantasies people have about the characters
Thank you, for your wonderful response and insight. Looking forward to your next update and beyond. I marvel at all of you one-man-band devs out there.

SonsOfLiberty

Board Buff
Game Compressor
Sep 3, 2022
Simple Beginnings [Ep. 2 v1.1 BETA] [Barbiecued]

COMPRESSED:

Win/Linux:

- -

Mac:

- -

Olivia_V

Jun 5, 2017
Hmm... girl goes to college to find her missing sister... isn't there a game around here with that plot hook already?

But... I will say that I really like this game so far. The writing is already an order of magnitude better than most games around here. (Though to be fair, dev might be a native English speaker.) The dialogue feels like there is voice behind it, and I already love the protagonist and her heavily-hinted love interest best friend. About the only character that feels ike a caricature is Carl, but that's understandable if it's a character the dev doesn't want to dwell on. The renders are on that sweet spot of looking good enough, but still relatively quick to render. And I love how the girls look like they could be regular late teenagers instead of Daz supermodels. Also, the music is a nice touch. For as long as an all-girl love interest run is possible, I'm happy.

Dev, my advice to you is... if you're going to keep all these types of choices, you will have a nightmare of a time with the flowchart, let alone the coding and writing. But if you pull it off, this will be an awesome game. So, if this level of graphic fidelity allows you to both render a reasonable amount per day as well as work on the mountain of writing and coding coming your way, concentrate on finishing the game over tweaking the visuals to match the glossier games around here. Once you make it to the end, you can charge for the full game with higher end renders and / or animations or whatever visual upgrade you have in mind.

I really hope you make it to the end of this one, dev. Games like this that end up abandoned are heartbreaking.

PS

On a grammatical note, use "has" for present tense third person singular (i.e. "the schedule Cassandra has prepared for me") and "have" for present tense first and second person, as well as third person plural ("I have", "You have", "They have").

Last edited:

Birdnman993

Dec 6, 2021
Both the title and the synopsis are somewhat ambiguous, the reference I can relate to the title is Japanese rpgs where you start rescuing someone and end up fighting god xDDDD

Obviously I don't expect to fight with God but it's definitely worth following this story.

• Haha
Reactions: Barbiecued

Barbiecued

Game Developer
Mar 12, 2019
Hmm... girl goes to college to find her missing sister... isn't there a game around here with that plot hook already?

But... I will say that I really like this game so far. The writing is already an order of magnitude better than most games around here. (Though to be fair, dev might be a native English speaker.) The dialogue feels like there is voice behind it, and I already love the protagonist and her heavily-hinted love interest best friend. About the only character that feels ike a caricature is Carl, but that's understandable if it's a character the dev doesn't want to dwell on. The renders are on that sweet spot of looking good enough, but still relatively quick to render. And I love how the girls look like they could be regular late teenagers instead of Daz supermodels. Also, the music is a nice touch. For as long as an all-girl love interest run is possible, I'm happy.

Dev, my advice to you is... if you're going to keep all these types of choices, you will have a nightmare of a time with the flowchart, let alone the coding and writing. But if you pull it off, this will be an awesome game. So, if this level of graphic fidelity allows you to both render a reasonable amount per day as well as work on the mountain of writing and coding coming your way, concentrate on finishing the game over tweaking the visuals to match the glossier games around here. Once you make it to the end, you can charge for the full game with higher end renders and / or animations or whatever visual upgrade you have in mind.

I really hope you make it to the end of this one, dev. Games like this that end up abandoned are heartbreaking.

PS

On a grammatical note, use "has" for present tense third person singular (i.e. "the schedule Cassandra has prepared for me") and "have" for present tense first and second person, as well as third person plural ("I have", "You have", "They have").
Not sure what game you are referring to, but she's not going to college to find her sister. Her goal is to find her sister, but college is a means to get away from the situation at home and following her dad's path. :giggle:

Thanks for taking the time to play the game and the advice!

Reactions: CoffeeSaint
4.00 star(s) 5 Votes