3.60 star(s) 16 Votes

Buziol

Jun 5, 2017
No, it just simply the choices of the devs, it's easier of how they prefer to make it and how they want it to be.
You missed the point. No one argues it's a choice or not. For all it's worth, you can make a shit in a golden foil and choose to release it to the public...but no one will touch it...I hope...

Anyway, as an author of a book, developer of a game or video producer, you want to have at least some recognition. You want to have some amount of people that will buy your product. Ideally - a lot of people. It is a matter of both pride and simple economic reality. So, sometimes, you need to take into account what's trendy over "muh vision".

Now, no matter how much and for how long we will throw curses into the sky or strike at the waves like Caligula's soldiers, people have preferences and some preferences are more common, more universal.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

its a choice, but its a choice that is sometimes weighed against time and resources.
Basically this.

Reactions: ElliseArt

souldead341

Engaged Member
Oct 16, 2017
I will say this. The soft lock thing can be fixed and more than likely will be fixed now. But I have to add your inability to beat the first boss isn't a gameplay issue its a skill issue. Avoid the death laser avoid the falling pages, step forward to avoid tentacles parry the purple fire balls back at the book and bam first boss fight done. It takes all of 6 parrys to beat that boss so its not a game problem its a you problem and I don't mean that in an insulting way. But saying a game sucks because you can't beat a boss despite having all the tools to do so outside of having your timing on point is just....bad form. Again not an insult but that isn't the Devs doing in any way shape or form.
I'm fully aware of the fact I could beat it, just that it's far to annoying to have to restart the game to retry, when I know my normal learning curve for this type of game. Honestly, just based on the little I did play I wouldn't rate it very high to begin with, partly due to the gameplay not being a something I really like, but also partly due to how the movement and platforming feels. It just felt weird, like I said, which takes time to adapt to, if I can at all.

I also dislike the lack of enemies to practice combat on before a boss fight in basically any action game, which would contribute greatly to a lower score from me no matter what.

So, my theoretical review isn't based on not being able to beat the boss, mostly but my opinions on some of the design choices and extrapolation of the platforming I did experience. There is a little annoyance at the bug, but that's just a bug.

ElliseArt

Game Developer
Sep 3, 2021
Frankly, if you're based on the "hard" games, IMO you really need some time to work out the combat mechanics before a boss.
Thank you for the input, I appreciate the thorough response. Do you have any good examples of souls-likes or similarly challenging games where you feel like they introduced things in a good and intuitive way?

ElliseArt

Game Developer
Sep 3, 2021
Updated the game with a fix for the door bug, link below:

I would suggest anyone interested in the game download this version (0.38.1) instead of (0.38) until the mods have updated the thread.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

souldead341

Engaged Member
Oct 16, 2017
Thank you for the input, I appreciate the thorough response. Do you have any good examples of souls-likes or similarly challenging games where you feel like they introduced things in a good and intuitive way?
Honestly, games like Night of Revenge can be used, since there's numerous standard enemies to fight so you can get an idea of your own movement and block timing before jumping into a boss fight. I'm not huge into the souls-like genre, so the only one (that I recall at least) besides NoR I've played is Code Vein, which is similar to NoR where there's multiple enemies of different types to practice on before the first boss. Code Vein also has a pretty good tutorial, where you get introduced to all the basics of the combat system before you really start the game.

I'll probably give the bugfix version a try later too, so I might have different thoughts after that.

thepayer17

May 14, 2022
Oh boy, there we go again...

I can offer you a certain explanation that I've given on quite a few occassions after quite extensive research of character reception for my own little projects and when I was helping two guys with their games.

1.) Like with a lot of games, hentai or not, players are primarily men and want to look at pleasant things. That's why people, given a choice, usually take female character anyway. It is a double-edged sword since if you make females ugly, people will linch you xD

2.) This is related to hentai games mostly - resources.
If you have one character to worry about in terms of design, it is much easier to make it hotter and not repetitive..since it is the only one and you can really put your effort into it. Other characters then can be so-so because the main powerhorse will be the PC.

Now, if you make a male PC, you have to not only make it somewhat appealing but also make a lot of other characters hot as well. You see the problem now? Instead of one resource heavy design and a dozen of so-so, now you have to make one so-so and a dozen of resource-heavy hotties.

You can ignore that, sure...but people will bash you for it. They will complain that XYZ is not hot enough or is disgusting or something. You need to be more creative with every enemy. When you do female character, you only need to nail it ONCE.
good arguments. However:
1) yes there are more male players then female players, but if we want to look at pleasant things, why would we want one female character instead of many female enemies ? Also isnt the point of a male protagonist to put oneself in protagonists place ? But that is coming from a straight male. of course there are ppl with different preferences, but there are mostly straight male i guess.

2) Cant argue with that. Yes its easier to create a well designed character than many characters.

I dont even care about the looks of the male protag. the female looks are more important than the male design. Straight males fap to women and not to males. You can make the male protag. invisible.

My commentary is just a thought and should not be taken personally

Buziol

Jun 5, 2017
Because there are more games in that category than the other way around. And your art style is great. Wished it was a male protagonist.
Sorry to butt into it more but...where did you get the impression that "there are more games in that category"?

I didn't do any stats but from what my coom-brain has registered over the years, for every non-JRPG h-game that has a male protagonist, there are about a dozen with female one (not even counting female herms). Ratio is even more skewed when we limit ourselves to ACT games (like Sinher).

Pretty much any ACT game I see with male character it is shota being screwed by monster girls. There was one with anime-like protagonist dude but it was one instance?

BTW: 666th post - must be cursed :D

EDIT:
good arguments. However:
1) yes there are more male players then female players, but if we want to look at pleasant things, why would we want one female character instead of many female enemies ? Also isnt the point of a male protagonist to put oneself in protagonists place ? But that is coming from a straight male. of course there are ppl with different preferences, but there are mostly straight male i guess.
But you've just agreed with the reason I've given already :D:
2) Cant argue with that. Yes its easier to create a well designed character than many characters.
There's a reason why a lot of people like futanari and yuri.

Last edited:

ElliseArt

Game Developer
Sep 3, 2021
Honestly, games like Night of Revenge can be used, since there's numerous standard enemies to fight so you can get an idea of your own movement and block timing before jumping into a boss fight. Code Vein also has a pretty good tutorial, where you get introduced to all the basics of the combat system before you really start the game.
Cheers, thanks for the suggestions, will have to check them out!

Because there are more games in that category than the other way around. And your art style is great. Wished it was a male protagonist.
Fair enough, thank you! ♥

You can make the male protag. invisible.
I like this as a concept. Will think about this for future games.

Pretty much any ACT game I see with male character it is shota being screwed by monster girls. There was one with anime-like protagonist dude but it was one instance?
Sorry for my ignorance, what's an ACT game?

Buziol

Jun 5, 2017
Shorthand for Action game, commonly used on JP sales platforms to define a game that is not an RPG, strategy, or VN. Platformers like yours fall into that category.
Yeah, basically this.

Ignorance is not asking at all :)
Platformers and side-scrollers usually fall into ACT category and since DlSite for a long time was the go-to marketplace, this kind of category just stuck with most people. There are of course some games that fall into a different category - ADV / Adventure - because they are much less action driven to the point there is close to no fighting elements.

Example of typical ACT games are: Night of Revenge from D-Lis, Xenotake from Vosmug, Parasite in city, Flying Princess: Inter Breed, Alien EVE from Grimhelm.

It's a bit important for you as a dev because when it comes to h-games, you want to avoid being branded as an RPG. RPGs are mostly associated with jRPGs made in RPGmaker which are super low-effort and often absolute trash. Games that are like erotic Skyrim or something would be classified by most as an ACT game, despite having extensive RPG-focus.
You could say it's more about dynamic of the gameplay than anything else :p

thepayer17

May 14, 2022
Sorry to butt into it more but...where did you get the impression that "there are more games in that category"?

I didn't do any stats but from what my coom-brain has registered over the years, for every non-JRPG h-game that has a male protagonist, there are about a dozen with female one (not even counting female herms). Ratio is even more skewed when we limit ourselves to ACT games (like Sinher).

BTW: 666th post - must be cursed :D

EDIT:

But you've just agreed with the reason I've given already :D:

There's a reason why a lot of people like futanari and yuri.
I didnt make a study in this regard. and no I said good arguments on your side. That doesnt mean I agree.
My arguments outweigh yours in my view to be frank

Buziol

Jun 5, 2017
My arguments outweigh yours in my view to be frank
Don't know how and when.
I'll maybe end this discussion with something everyone can take a look by themselves and be the judge :D :

Cheers, thanks for the suggestions, will have to check them out!

Fair enough, thank you! ♥

I like this as a concept. Will think about this for future games.

Changing the subject to something I constantly forget about - sound.
Consider this a bitching perhaps but I think game would benefit greatly from increasing the variety of "moan" voices.
Problem I have with ero-animation here is that sound is "visibly" below the visuals in quality.
Even adding a three-four additional moaning sounds in rotation would make a huge difference for how "natural" it sounds.

Also, perhaps it is already asking for too much (to not make things messy), you could add more sounds of motion (you know, wet sounds, slurping etc.) in addition to the "moan" voice.

Just my two cents since no one mentioned this and focus primarily on combat.

ElliseArt

Game Developer
Sep 3, 2021
Changing the subject to something I constantly forget about - sound.
Everything you're saying here are good points, the sound overall needs work. Tbh I'm also surprised it's not something thats been mentioned before :LOL:

3.60 star(s) 16 Votes