3.90 star(s) 8 Votes

ShinyMetalAssKnight7xl9

Sep 23, 2019
I am planning on restructuring this game and its existing assets (I dislike playing like Voldemort, I want to play like Harry, or at least a student). I also want to add some more gameplay than it has...

Since the game developer is gone, I think I can use the assets? Or is someone from the development team here to say otherwise?

I might be able to replicate the drawing style to add other scenes to supplement my own story.
I'd prefer to play as Harry getting into every girl and milf's pants

UnagiGames

Oct 25, 2020
That'd be dope. Would love an interest on younger characters, could even be Snape roofing his students hahaha.
Not going to do that, everyone in the game is 18+, and I will keep it like that. And I don't like the kind of content you propose.

No, they still own them. And can try to shut you down or sue you later

If you can match this artstyle why not just make your own game?
Its not like there is massive amount of content here to build on. And if you are changing every scene to replace voldy with someone else... well you are redoing most of it anyways. might as well just save yourself the future takedown notice
False, there are backgrounds, scenes and sprites I can use. It will make my life easier. And how do you think the developer will sue me when he used other people's copyrighted franchise for his own game?

Of course, if the developer does not want me to use his assets, he should tell me. I asked him on Discord, and he seemed fine with it.

I'd prefer to play as Harry getting into every girl and milf's pants
This game already has sprites for Hermione, Pansy, Luna, Ginny, Molly and McGonagall. I don't care for the other people they put in it, but there is some content I can build on.

mrttao

Forum Fanatic
Jun 11, 2021
False, there are backgrounds, scenes and sprites I can use. It will make my life easier. And how do you think the developer will sue me when he used other people's copyrighted franchise for his own game?
He made a parody, original content BASED ON someone else's franchise.
You are wanting to literally steal drawings he made. Not draw your own art "inspired" or "parodying" his art, but literally copy paste the files
Of course, if the developer does not want me to use his assets, he should tell me. I asked him on Discord, and he seemed fine with it.
that... really isn't how copyright works
it is not his job to reach out to you and tell you "do not steal my drawings". It is your job to contact him and get permission

Reactions: theinternetis4

AinzOoalGown1

May 13, 2020
ffs... ofc a good game i like get abandoned, i love playing on the evil side. Well fucking hell for this let down..

anubis1970

Engaged Member
Mar 1, 2018
Yeah but it can't come as much of a surprise. The dev has started and abandoned half a dozen versions of this.

Crese1967895

Mar 10, 2020
He made a parody, original content BASED ON someone else's franchise.
You are wanting to literally steal drawings he made. Not draw your own art "inspired" or "parodying" his art, but literally copy paste the files

that... really isn't how copyright works
it is not his job to reach out to you and tell you "do not steal my drawings". It is your job to contact him and get permission
Ummm......he just said he reached out to him for permisssion on discord

mrttao

Forum Fanatic
Jun 11, 2021
Ummm......he just said he reached out to him for permisssion on discord
I misread that bit about discvord.

But rereading it now, that phrasing is extremely weird
"he should tell me" "he seemed fine with it"... are very vague phrasing.
Did he explicitly ask, and explicitly got told "yes, you may use my drawings in your new game"?

ideally you want an actual signed contract, rather than a discord conversation

Crese1967895

Mar 10, 2020
I misread that bit about discvord.

But rereading it now, that phrasing is extremely weird
"he should tell me" "he seemed fine with it"... are very vague phrasing.
Did he explicitly ask, and explicitly got told "yes, you may use my drawings in your new game"?

ideally you want an actual signed contract, rather than a discord conversation
Ehh, I think a screenshot of the convo would suffice

mrttao

Forum Fanatic
Jun 11, 2021
Ehh, I think a screenshot of the convo would suffice
1. very easy to fake
2. does he even have such a screenshot?
3. still assuming he explicitly asked. which, based on the "seemed fine" part I don't think happened.

Crese1967895

Mar 10, 2020
1. very easy to fake
2. does he even have such a screenshot?
3. still assuming he explicitly asked. which, based on the "seemed fine" part I don't think happened.
Assuming he actually did ask for permission, he could post a screenshot of the discord chat no problem, but there are certain risks he'd be taking on if he didn't have a legally binding contract that stated he could use the author's assets(There have been game devs that give control of their game to someone else and when they see that it became successful they capitalize on it).

I'm not trying to argue over this, I saw that you overlooked a piece of the comment and corrected you. We can't know for certain whether or not he actually asked for permission since the author hasn't made a post/comment about this.

Reactions: mrttao

dmmt

May 8, 2020
been leaving this one on the back burner, waiting for an update....gddmt....another potentially grand game down the shitter. And folks wonder why I refuse to sponsor Devs. Write a fcking game, then sell it to me. I'm good. But you're not gonna milk me for $240 over 2 years, and then abandon the game on me. That same $240, will buy 4 AAA titles.

zeerin

Nov 9, 2017
been leaving this one on the back burner, waiting for an update....gddmt....another potentially grand game down the shitter. And folks wonder why I refuse to sponsor Devs. Write a fcking game, then sell it to me. I'm good. But you're not gonna milk me for $240 over 2 years, and then abandon the game on me. That same $240, will buy 4 AAA titles.
More than that if you wait for sales or put on a hat and get a parrot.

mrttao

Forum Fanatic
Jun 11, 2021
Assuming he actually did ask for permission, he could post a screenshot of the discord chat no problem, but there are certain risks he'd be taking on if he didn't have a legally binding contract that stated he could use the author's assets(There have been game devs that give control of their game to someone else and when they see that it became successful they capitalize on it).
That is actually a very good point. There have been many cases when someone casually gifted something away, and then later sued for all the profits when it became financially solid.

I am reminded actually of a holliwood movie case. So apparently two guys met at a bar, guy A asked guy B to use his IP for a movie, said yes. They raised millions in investment, filmed the movie over a few years, and... I don't remember if they started selling or it was just before. but suddenly a lawsuit that wanted all the money and the rights to the new movie on the basis of them not having officially given permission.

Guy A said they got permission
Guy B said "he only asked me "wouldn't it be cool if someone made X" and I said "Yes". but that was yet to it being cool not to agreeing to let him make the movie without paying me back"
Guy A countered with "nah uh. I did explicitly ask for permission to use your IP myself"
and so on and so forth.

eventually they settled outside of court for millions of dollars.
Because there was no contract. only a casual "sure, you can have it".

Reactions: Crese1967895

Omega Oasis

Nov 26, 2019
Why "Witch Adventure" got abandoned?! Do you plan to do "Six Serpents" revival full time, or are you working on other games?!

Omega Oasis

Nov 26, 2019
Not going to do that, everyone in the game is 18+, and I will keep it like that. And I don't like the kind of content you propose.

This game already has sprites for Hermione, Pansy, Luna, Ginny, Molly and McGonagall. I don't care for the other people they put in it, but there is some content I can build on.
Why "Witch Adventure" got abandoned?! Do you plan to do "Six Serpents" revival full time, or are you working on other games?!

UnagiGames

Oct 25, 2020
How do you plan to produce new art/content? The original artist was Russian iirc and might be dead in a trench by now for all we know.
I am in contact with lvl21karper (the original developer) via Discord. He is in contact with the artist. I plan to commission art via the Russian artist. To my knowing, he is still producing art for some other games of this platform.

So if he has the time, I will commission him to create new art to my liking.

On my turn, I can focus on game design and maybe some programming if I can figure out some stuff.

3.90 star(s) 8 Votes