Daz [Solved}Q: Render won't work. Why?

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
My questions is, what does it mean if the render stops at the message "Updating Section Objects"?
Does anyone know?

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Well, according to GPU-Z the scene uses 8GB. I have a RTX-3060 with 12GB. So there should be enough room still.
But i will change the scene and make it smaller, somehow. I kind of admit that i build it like Lego. :)
But i use an iray cam as well, so there should be less to compute. At least that's what i thought.

p.s. i shrink the scene and see if this made a difference. I hope but i wished i would knew sometimes what it means if stuff like that happens.

Last edited:

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Well, i am still not sure why this happened.
But for some reason i am not sure if DAZ has a problem.

But now i get this message with FG Subway and 3 characters in it.
Code:
2023-01-12 09:30:46.106 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend error: No device specified or usable
2023-01-12 09:30:46.106 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Rendering with 0 device(s):
2023-01-12 09:30:46.106 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Rendering...
2023-01-12 09:30:46.106 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend error: No worker to render with: aborting render
2023-01-12 09:30:46.106 [ERROR] Iray :: Internal rendering error.
What? No device?

2023-01-12 10_00_52-DAZ Studio 4.21 Pro.jpg

What's going on with my DAZ?

So i am wondering if my figures are the problem.

2023-01-12 10_10_58-NVIDIA GeForce Overlay.jpg This is my female

2023-01-12 10_11_24-NVIDIA GeForce Overlay.jpg One of the guys.

I just don't understand it. Reason. Because a long time ago i rendered the exact scene with 4 characters.
Difference maybe the hair but i am not sure.
Anyway, is my install trash?
Again i am using iray cam. It may not eliminate what is loaded but it should only render whats visible. Right?
The scene is not huge.
When i check with GPU-Z it tells me i am using 4GB of mem. The card has 12GB.
I dunno

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
can you share your scene I have the same video card

are checking it when it's at idle or while rendering?

when I searched for

it means you ran out of vram

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
can you share your scene I have the same video card

are checking it when it's at idle or while rendering?

when I searched for

it means you ran out of vram
Which screen should i share?
The render screen (when it happens) or my gpu information? Not really sure.

Anyway, where i stumble is GPU-Z. It tells me the ram amount used while DAZ is rendering.
Then there is the message in the log that says something like "no device". So can i assume that DAZ did not use my gpu for render?

Now there is a long time past since i rendered that asset with some figures. Figurs. Of course i customized them. I think all three have dforce hair.
The female is heavily customized. Hair, body etc... a few morphs.

I even tried to have just the subway itself in the render and not the station. Didn't made a difference but i know when i remove one figure it will work.
So yes, ram. Though i just don't get it. Just by the experience i had previously.

I do run W11 and i recently updated the gpu driver.

A problem i see is, that the log is from Renderque, when doing it manually there is not log for some reason.

P.s. i can safely say that is my female that gobbles up the resources. Now the question becomes are the subd values to high? These were the one that load automatically. It's Harmony from Krashwerks. I tweak a little the skin. She has Ayaan hair and dforce clothing, tattoo (made by me). Makeup...

Last edited:

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
I'm talking about the scene that you are trying to render so I can see it on my end but you don't have too

I use to be able to render 6 character on a 2060 rtx card even with my 3060 card I still only can render about 3 to 4 characters
by them self but when I put them environment that when things changes I'm only able to put 2 to 3 characters in

there is a memory leak in daz since version 4.16 (I call it memory leak) but daz3d says it's not they said to me it's normal

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Ah, memory leak. The devil in coding.
The way i see it, 2 character max for me per scene. I have to figure out how to make it work so it looks good when adding more figures.

Here are some screen shots. Hope they bring more light to it.
The donuts is my character light. Just in case of wonder.

2023-01-12 11_42_06-NVIDIA GeForce Overlay.jpg 2023-01-12 11_42_46-NVIDIA GeForce Overlay.jpg 2023-01-12 11_43_34-[DAZ] - Q_ Render won't work. Why_ _ F95zone — Mozilla Firefox.jpg

Scene looks actually pretty good. Shame that 3 characters are a no go now. I mean i wonder why 12GB don't fit.

Not sure if change the figure itself would make it better. Like the SubD values. But i tested it somewhat and it didn't.
So i conclude that if the scene is bigger you can only have 2 figures in it. but on the other hand another scene worked. I'll get brain damage just thinking about it.

Here is a scene i made that worked with 3 characters.
day01_06.jpg

Now i attempted to render one guy alone with some spotlights that i use for the train.

2023-01-12 12_05_54-NVIDIA GeForce Overlay.jpg 2023-01-12 12_06_31-NVIDIA GeForce Overlay.jpg
Well, viewport shows nothing. The more i think, i think i need to reinstall DAZ. I cleared the cache but no effect it seems.

Last edited:

BzPz

Jan 16, 2022
I think it's either SubD values, or the dForce Hair.
Some dForce Hair can eat your RAM like crazy, so if you don't have RAM, you can't even get to start rendering.

Daz makes some calculation depending on the distance between character and camera to apply SubD levels. So, closeups to view those juicy details get the highest value, far distance gets the lowest.
Coupled with big textures, this could result in chunks too large to even reach the GPU (doesn't get allocated, so doesn't show up in GPU-Z).

Daz also keeps hold of some RAM and VRAM after every Iray view, so to clear it out:
close Daz (this resets VRAM),
wait for Daz to return your RAM (this can take a while).
Then start Daz again.

Also, try to reduce textures.

I'm working with 6GB of VRAM and 16 GB of RAM.
Before every render I check all object in the scene for SubD levels (both Parameter tab and Surfaces tab, I had a shoe asset with SubD 5 on some surface, crazy! )
What I see is, you get no render when you run out of VRAM, and crashes when you run out of RAM.

Hope you get it working.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Man i love dforce hair.
Males not so much. They seem more unimportant to my game but the female should get the best. Now there are difference between dforce hairs.

Where i am not clear about is the value of subd. So for the MC what should be value. is there a golden rule? Some characters maybe don't need look detailed but others do.

I will try out different things and will see what works best.

Oct 15, 2022
Ah, memory leak. The devil in coding.
The way i see it, 2 character max for me per scene. I have to figure out how to make it work so it looks good when adding more figures.

Here are some screen shots. Hope they bring more light to it.
The donuts is my character light. Just in case of wonder.

View attachment 2306249 View attachment 2306251 View attachment 2306252

Scene looks actually pretty good. Shame that 3 characters are a no go now. I mean i wonder why 12GB don't fit.

Not sure if change the figure itself would make it better. Like the SubD values. But i tested it somewhat and it didn't.
So i conclude that if the scene is bigger you can only have 2 figures in it. but on the other hand another scene worked. I'll get brain damage just thinking about it.

Here is a scene i made that worked with 3 characters.
View attachment 2306306

Now i attempted to render one guy alone with some spotlights that i use for the train.

View attachment 2306334 View attachment 2306336
Well, viewport shows nothing. The more i think, i think i need to reinstall DAZ. I cleared the cache but no effect it seems.
The only thing I can advise you on is to start using billboards for background characters (if they are not characters that are part of the story).

I also have an RTX 3060 12GB, and it's just not enough. At the quality I'm trying to achieve and the scenes I'm building, I can't render more than 2 characters. I personally think that you don't have a problem with the characters, but with the scene itself. I believe that the subway and the city are not small scenes...

Alternatively, I recommend REMOVING everything that the camera does not see in the image you are currently rendering. That means everything off camera (just to be clear). I wrote remove on purpose; turning off the visibility of the object will not help.

Good luck mate :)

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
what I do is setup everything scene/characters then make save scene then delete the characters then render then close daz then reopen it and reload the saved scene then delete then scene and render the character

like so:
first the scene and then the characters
tert.png title.png

then photoshop/gimp to make it like this is how I made my avatar

test.png

Oct 15, 2022
what I do is setup everything scene/characters then make save scene then delete the characters then render then close daz then reopen it and reload the saved scene then delete then scene and render the character

like so:
View attachment 2306579 View attachment 2306598

View attachment 2306596
Well... If you're satisfied, fine. I would not choose this method for my work. Especially if you render the characters without a background and then paste them somewhere, they will have a black border around them. You can also notice it in the photo you added here... The best solution is to own at least an RTX 8000, but it's an expensive thing.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
The only thing I can advise you on is to start using billboards for background characters (if they are not characters that are part of the story).

I also have an RTX 3060 12GB, and it's just not enough. At the quality I'm trying to achieve and the scenes I'm building, I can't render more than 2 characters. I personally think that you don't have a problem with the characters, but with the scene itself. I believe that the subway and the city are not small scenes...

Alternatively, I recommend REMOVING everything that the camera does not see in the image you are currently rendering. That means everything off camera (just to be clear). I wrote remove on purpose; turning off the visibility of the object will not help.

Good luck mate :)
Well, as i mentioned i shot the scenes with an iray plane cam. Or more precise use this cam and have another cam actually take the shot. Both looks at the same thing though they can independently moved if needed.

So in theory everything that isn't in the view is cut away thus you only have what you are looking at.
That is why i am not sure about the scene. It seems strange. I posted another scene where you would see buildings at the end of the street and this worked with 3 figures. That was a large scene as well.

Anyway, the only way you can paste good a character is if you export all the lights with it. That way you get the same lighting and vibe. (reference to a quote down)
But yes, 2 characters seems the limit. Wow.. what a downgrade. I rendered before the same scene.. Something changed. I think its DAZ.

Oct 15, 2022
Well, as i mentioned i shot the scenes with an iray plane cam. Or more precise use this cam and have another cam actually take the shot. Both looks at the same thing though they can independently moved if needed.

So in theory everything that isn't in the view is cut away thus you only have what you are looking at.
That is why i am not sure about the scene. It seems strange. I posted another scene where you would see buildings at the end of the street and this worked with 3 figures. That was a large scene as well.

Anyway, the only way you can paste good a character is if you export all the lights with it. That way you get the same lighting and vibe. (reference to a quote down)
But yes, 2 characters seems the limit. Wow.. what a downgrade. I rendered before the same scene.. Something changed. I think its DAZ.
I thought of one more thing that was causing me trouble in the past... Check that you have "Caustic Sampler" set to "off" and "Instancing Optimization" set to "speed".

Caustic Sampler:
From what I read at the time, it should have something to do with the light (I haven't studied it, so I could be wrong). Well, it definitely doesn't work properly because, with a simple scene and one character, I exceeded the limit of my GPU and it fell on the CPU. When I turned it off, everything was fine. The weird thing is that I never turned it on. I had no reason to, since I don't even know the function, to be honest.

Instancing Optimization: I have it set to "speed." I've played with it in the past. I didn't see a difference with "memory," but when I set it to "auto," the image that I render for a maximum of 15 minutes suddenly takes 48 minutes. But I also noticed that it was using more memory than it originally had. Originally, I used about 8,5 GB. But with this setting, 10,7 GB

I can't think of anything else...

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Well, these are the defaults. I did not change much in the render settings.

I think there is something wrong with the install or, as mentioned, it is the case that either DAZ leaks memory (which is very plausible considering) or that my installation corrupted. In any case i will follow up once i found my culprit. Sometimes, there are no nails.....

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021

like so:
View attachment 2306579 View attachment 2306598

View attachment 2306596
Well, i usually do it this way.
I take the lights from the scene (every light) and load my character and the light. Just so you have the same conditions but without the asset.
That way you preserve the ambient and the image will fit nicely into your backdrop.

I did some sprites for some theoretical game and it worked quite well. Though it's some work.

But the core is correct. You suppose to render the character outside (or some) and paste them later in. At least when it there is no way around to render them right away in the scene.

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
Sorry haven't read the entire thread only scanned posts so sorry if this came up already. but when Daz has a fit I usually try the following:
- Reboot PC (when I was still very limited in (V)RAM closing down unused programs could be the difference between rendering on the graphics card vs CPU or crashing Daz).
- See if it is scene specific (Am I able to render other similar scenes without issue?)
- If yes: load scene elements one by one to see when it becomes an issue (e.g. when loading character X and is it an issue when I render character X on it's own)
- Update graphic drivers & Daz if available.
- Completely remove drivers and reinstall
- Reinstall Daz

Btw are you using Nvidia studio drivers btw? apparently it works better with Daz and is recommended by them to do as part of the trouble shooting if you haven't installed it.

Reactions: coffeeaddicted