VN Ren'Py Abandoned Something In The Water [v0.1c] [The Nerd Xxx]

EAT
Trial Moderator
Uploader
Aug 5, 2016
126025_attachment1.jpg

Overview:
you take control of a female protagonist called Sandy. You live with your sister Tabby, your Brother Tom and your single mother Helen.
Sandy goes to College, studying Photography and she also works in a restaurant.
There is a parasitic infestation coming, luckily your brother works for the very company offering the cure,
This is more sandbox less story. Of course, the 2 will balance out in future updates.
Thread Updated: 2018-06-29
Release Date: 2018-06-29
Developer: - TheNerdXXX
Censorship: None
Version: 0.1c
Language: English
Genre:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Installation:

Change-Log:

Download
Win/Linux: - -
MAC: - -

126026_attachment2.gif 126027_attachment3.png 126028_attachment4.png 126029_attachment5.jpg 126030_attachment6.jpg 126031_attachment7.jpg 126032_attachment8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

waxall

Nov 13, 2017
I'll watch for future updates hoping something happens with the girl sitting behind her in class. Oh yeah, the story seems like it could be similar to "parasite infection" with renders, so that would be cool.

TheNerdXXX

Something in the Water
Game Developer
Feb 14, 2017
Thank You for the Upload N7! :)

And yes, The size is big. It's a side effect of the multiple outfits for each scene and character at 1080p resolutions, plus PNG files for transparency.

Reactions: netsrac and N7

anschwww

May 10, 2017
It's a side effect of the multiple outfits for each scene and character at 1080p resolutions, plus PNG files for transparency.
than use Jpgs for all Pics without transparency.
for Example:
\game\images\story\storyline_content\innoculation_scenes\Sandy&Brother_Conversation
87 Files = 162 mb= only 13 PNGs with transparency
4 double pics (u have them as png and jpg)
change the non-transparency pics to jpgs -> less than 60 mb

several doubles (png & jpg) in the \game\images\story folder

h3avenw0rd

Jun 7, 2017
First thing that hit me was the text font, not a fan of this squiggly thin lines for text and the constant fade to black transitions for the beginning (good thing the fading transition isn't everywhere).

Definitely a lot of repetition and event seeking due to rooms not having some sort of an event indicator from the room selections. These game always have this issue at the start, making you check each empty room at every single time interval to see if something is happening.
*Edit Also please consider adding a time skip function to go to specific time, needing to room hop for the mins to change over or go directly through 30(etc)mins gets tiring. If you're using time as a trigger, make sure the players have better control to choose their time spent.

At this point it's got a base, but actually playing through the game is a chore, with little reward at the moment while the UI isn't really that intuitive. The top bar really needs to pop more so the player look at them and realize it's for something. Active event needs to be more personalized, like how you can choose which event to tag up there instead of finding out suddenly you have an event like go to work (or a popup over the middle of the screen to indicate new event). Event tracking would be great to have, rather than this surprise thing you can do, while it's being pointless the remainder of the time.

Few more quality of life improvements and work on content progression and this might be more interesting down the line. Currently however I'm not really getting much else other than a grindy generic time management game. The characters don't really have much that's unique to this game so far and that's unfortunate, hopefully it improves as development goes. There is promise to have more story and meaningful interaction, but I'll wait when that's actually in game to comment on, there's not a whole lot of meat to what's in as everything is awaiting expansion.

Tldr, it's a chore to play through without much of an identity or reward at the moment(0.1a). Has room for improvement, hopefully it gets the polish it needs.

TheNerdXXX

Something in the Water
Game Developer
Feb 14, 2017
than use Jpgs for all Pics without transparency.
for Example:
\game\images\story\storyline_content\innoculation_scenes\Sandy&Brother_Conversation
87 Files = 162 mb= only 13 PNGs with transparency
4 double pics (u have them as png and jpg)
change the non-transparency pics to jpgs -> less than 60 mb

several doubles (png & jpg) in the \game\images\story folder
Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm on with at the moment :) Obviously being careful to double check against what's active in game, don't want to break anything!

arnel19702017

Dec 5, 2017
hope she can manipulate her mom/sis to get together with his bro with the help of the virus thing of course ;)

TheNerdXXX

Something in the Water
Game Developer
Feb 14, 2017
And so with tired eyes, I can now announce the new file size is:

485mb - I feel bad asking an uploader to upload 0.1b less than 3 hours after 0.1a was uploaded :oops:

But I shall!! :angel:

Reading through the comments I'll address a few things:

The darkness of some scenes. I know about this, and the scenes will be re-rendered. These were rendered prior to my learning to light scenes nicely, I'm now much better with iray lighting. :extremelyhappy: I didn't want to delay release any longer...

The clothing changing will stay, I quite like it. The only place where there will be lots of scenes requiring multiple renders are in the family home, and the method I have doesn't take long in reality. Not with Batch rendering :)

Lesbian Action... Likely. I'll expand the tags, as the content is added

Time skipping function is something I shall think about, maybe just a "wait" and you get to specify minutes.

--

I'm just going to have a play through myself, and make sure I've not broken anything :coldsweat:

And then upload time

sam1234567

May 5, 2018
i would advise looking at man of the house when creating a sandbox game, you should do what you want when making this game but i definitely would recommend implementing some of the mechanics from that game into your one like having character icons over the rooms to show where the characters currently are and giving players a clear indication when the content for each event ends in each version and hints on how to progress through the events though like i said its up to you

Reactions: Moisan4

TheNerdXXX

Something in the Water
Game Developer
Feb 14, 2017
I was a big fan of Big Brother, and the portraits just make sense, and it is planned. I have an Excel spreadsheet with everyone's schedules on. So once I get to implementing the portraits, it'll be easy :)

Reactions: netsrac

Ibis

Jun 2, 2018

Holy Moly... no options menu? And this damn loud noise music and sound effect at the beginning...
my heart beat went to 220