Gunsmoke Games

Something Unlimited
Game Developer
Sep 5, 2018
People are uppity because the ADD direction of the game is rearing its head again now. This is being exacerbated because of BoB2's skeleton being put out when the last update of SU that wasn't a bugfix was Halloween leading people to not buy that it doesn't take time away from SU. You had 2 updates in back to back months which is great. But it's undone when the next one takes 3 months to get to.

We had the Shadow League stuff which was good. But Lady Shiva isn't finished and now we're doing the same thing with Maxima who also isn't finished and came out unprovoked/hinted at. People aren't even sure if the Yacht is fully done now since stuff was added with increments and now that process is going to be the same for the Halloween event. "When does Mercy get added? Who is Harley bringing? Are there no-shows going to be added in like Morgaine was?" etc.

This on top of the fact that the aftermath content of the Prison isn't done with Killer Frost and Poison Ivy but Jinx and Ravager were added wayyyyyyyyyyy later but are "finished", so-to-speak. The Prison skanks need a few sex scenes, leash scenes for Ivy and they'll be "done". Yet this is the case with a lot of characters still which is the core problem of all this. I don't think people have issues with what Sun is adding, just the manner/order in which it happens. You can't pretend like this is a non-issue when your rebrand was focused around it saying "we won't blueball you anymore". Which to be perfectly fair here y'all have been good on that end, it's just showing up in other ways now.

The best overall goal to redirect the ship and stay the keyboard shaped pitchforks would be to focus and complete Henchwomen and their superhero counterparts' content. Although, I can infer Lois/Harley/Mercy will be delayed to post-rebuild with how it's been mentioned how gross their framework is coding-wise. But you'll get fan favorites like Wonder Woman/Starfire and Blackfire which will quiet a good chunk of the "Where's mah waifu's content???". However, I understand most girls are at a state where doing all of their cell scenes, meta bordello, and cell stuff for X henchwoman is big for an update at least while Sun is still having to code. The only suggestion I have for that is to postpone metabordello scenes and release them as filler for slower updates seeing how most people care about the Cell content the most. Or hell, roadmap the characters that wouldn't have MB scenes like Frost, Audrey, etc. That way girls are getting done and Sun can sprinkle in whatever along with it. Impossible to please everyone as y'all know but always having a roadmap with a theme would help.

Finally, along with others criticizing the Legion villain sluts, there needs to be a rework of how it currently is with the Rebuild version being worked on. It doesn't make sense for this game for there to be so many hoops for just a SINGLE scene with going to Legion HQ, hope said girl is there with RNG or repeat if she's not, pay to hire, and finally you can either progress or choose the scene you want eventually. All the other girls in the game are good for the most part that they're accessible to interact with from mostly straightforward menuing so it just isn't acceptable that half of Poison Ivy, Jinx, Rose, and future scenes with Legion Ladies (Livewire and so on) are so obtuse and clunky. Either make a tab for Legion HQ where the girls agree to a on-demand booty call list for a big buy-in as opposed to paying 200k per instance, or keep the current rngfest but have them move into the cells once all scenes are unlocked and they're calling you "Daddy".

Just my idiot two cents :)
I want to first say thanks for a thoughtful write up. Secondly the reason I feel compelled to respond, is the fact you took workload into consideration, and made some very intelligent points outside of the. "I feel there is no content" or the "instert my waifu". So a few things I'm going to address below.

We did 6 updates to SU in 2019, plus BoB2. 7 content updates in 2019. I hope all you understand if we begin to ignore the "you didn't do enough" complaints.

As for the ADD direction, SR7 was getting burnt out on the completion updates. They were massive workload, and time sensitive, which meant a ton of stress. His sprinkling/shotgun approach is his want to stay fresh and do what he enjoys. We need that and we need people to understand that. It's also a way to minimize workload when doing completion type updates. If I had it my way we would remove timelines, allow for tons of content creation. Then piece together a full update once all art is completed. You know like every other dev on Patreon. But frankly you all would have our head if we did that.

In our meetings next week I will table your suggestions for SU focus. The are insightful, and presented well. Thanks again for taking the time to write it up.

Carcosa_

May 14, 2019
All images are drawn, speed is a priority, hence why many are relatively the same. If you want to see the process we save the last stream on our picarto.
So the game has no individual assets and every character/background is drawn from scratch every time?

I think we might've discovered the source of SR7's constant burnouts if that's the case.

Gunsmoke Games

Something Unlimited
Game Developer
Sep 5, 2018
So the game has no individual assets and every character/background is drawn from scratch every time?

I think we might've discovered the source of SR7's constant burnouts if that's the case.
There is re-use of sprites with different arm positions, or facial expressions. Your question insinuated we just swapped heads on all characters . Each character has a different palate/colour scheme. But sex scenes, or costumes in those scenes really multiply the work. It's the fact we let the player choose the costume that really multiplies workload.

J..D

Naughty Attic Gaming
Donor
Game Developer
Apr 19, 2019
Haven't played this game in a update or two now, but it's always been one of my favorites.
Mainly because of the amazing art-style.

Reading through the last couple pages, it seems that people are thinking that "why not put that BoB development time for SU as well"

I obviously can't look into your team's mind
But I can understand that after years and years drawing the same stuff, that you just need something different for once.
To keep motivation high and most important to recharge the batteries.

But I think that people are just really scared at the moment, scared that this game might be dying.
Lots of abandonment issues on F95(for good reason)

But you guys still have my trust.
The last 18 months(give or take).
You guys have been producing a lot of content, been open with the fans about the plan and going of things.
And most importantly for me, you guys have been transparent about things that go well, but also about the fuck-ups.

Keep doing what you guys have been doing, and I hope to see much more amazing SU content in 2020.
(Would hope to see some more Stargirl personally :) )

Hurpyderpy

Nov 12, 2017
Personally I'd like to see an expansion on some of the girls on the yacht even. I found out of all of them Morgana le fay the most interesting. With her unique appearance it could make for some interesting scenes

Gunsmoke Games

Something Unlimited
Game Developer
Sep 5, 2018
Haven't played this game in a update or two now, but it's always been one of my favorites.
Mainly because of the amazing art-style.

Reading through the last couple pages, it seems that people are thinking that "why not put that BoB development time for SU as well"

I obviously can't look into your team's mind
But I can understand that after years and years drawing the same stuff, that you just need something different for once.
To keep motivation high and most important to recharge the batteries.

But I think that people are just really scared at the moment, scared that this game might be dying.
Lots of abandonment issues on F95(for good reason)

But you guys still have my trust.
The last 18 months(give or take).
You guys have been producing a lot of content, been open with the fans about the plan and going of things.
And most importantly for me, you guys have been transparent about things that go well, but also about the fuck-ups.

Keep doing what you guys have been doing, and I hope to see much more amazing SU content in 2020.
(Would hope to see some more Stargirl personally :) )
Abandon????? You boys are crazy! SR7 wants to keep doing SU forever. Even when we eventually add more projects (OC and such) SU will still see regular updates.

Kylar Stern

Jul 29, 2017
Abandon????? You boys are crazy! SR7 wants to keep doing SU forever. Even when we eventually add more projects (OC and such) SU will still see regular updates.
SU being completed in 2050 confirmed!!! :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL: jk, but in all seriousness, you guys keep doing your thing. You will always have my support!

destroyerofassholes

Oct 23, 2019
the sheer scale of this game is crazy lmao. i wonder what the rebuild will be like. i'm glad they ditched the early trash animations, stills are better tbh.

(bendorbreak2>su, fite me)

Carcosa_

May 14, 2019
There is re-use of sprites with different arm positions, or facial expressions. Your question insinuated we just swapped heads on all characters . Each character has a different palate/colour scheme. But sex scenes, or costumes in those scenes really multiply the work. It's the fact we let the player choose the costume that really multiplies workload.
Sure, but changing the palate/color scheme is still reusing the same asset.

Have you thought about just not adding so many costumes and focusing more on adding new scenes instead? SR7 complains about how monotonous his job is, but he's the one that decided to add so many costumes for every girl and to basically introduce the same sex progression in the cells.

SR7 wants to keep doing SU forever.
I don't think that's something you should be admitting.

Kojj4

Nov 7, 2018
Well, maybe you should take a moment to add new characters and work on existing ones. For example, if each update one character is complete and one is added, why not make two characters complete? what do you think?
or maybe one complete and another incomplete that in the next update just complete and make another incomplete and so on.

Gunsmoke Games

Something Unlimited
Game Developer
Sep 5, 2018
Sure, but changing the palate/color scheme is still reusing the same asset.

Have you thought about just not adding so many costumes and focusing more on adding new scenes instead? SR7 complains about how monotonous his job is, but he's the one that decided to add so many costumes for every girl and to basically introduce the same sex progression in the cells.

I don't think that's something you should be admitting.
It's not using the same asset at all! There has been a guy around for the last 4 years. Internally we reference him as "same body, different head guy". I know you're not him as you sound reasonable . Artists are a strange bunch, they have processes and beliefs. I'm sure there is easier or faster methods. These typically come at a cost of quality, something SR7 firmly will not use. It's 4.5 years in we have explored every single idea regarding saving time.

As for the costumes, it was set as a precedent early on. You must remember this game was started in 2015, we have had to learn in front of the public eye. Not an easy task! There is many things currently in SU that we would overhaul, or outright never do in future projects. As for costumes, there is a real emphasis on workload multiplication when making the decision to add them.

As for SU continuing on forever. Our Patreon is Gunsmoke Games, it's to support whatever we do. We will not stop SU, cause if we did, someone else would continue it. We are not ready to pass the torch yet. SU will live on forever, either in our hands or someone else.

Last edited:

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017

Krugger

Aug 13, 2019
Funny you would say that and put a dead project as example.
You're right. But I didn't say the game will live forever or if it's abandoned someone else would do the same. If someone designed it, something is wrong. Yet another identical game (copied) and placed on a Ren'py engine. By no means did I want to set examples or attack someone, I just said that if the game is abandoned someone would try to do it, but I think the person who tries to make an equal should do something different. I just say that people delude themselves easily.

4.00 star(s) 153 Votes