Gunsmoke Games

Something Unlimited
Game Developer
Sep 5, 2018
I have to agree on this.

I have been following Gunsmoke/Sunset strider for years now(Previous account JadabaJD).
Have been pledging for a long while now(3 Month break when stuff wasn't so great in the development over a year ago, but re-set it after the first road-map and raised it multiple times because they keep on delivering).

If they do something wrong, they say it and take the blame for it.
If they do something new, they say it and warn that it's new and might have mistakes.
If they do something right, they don't take the credit but thank their followers.

After a lot of complaints more than a year ago, they listened to their followers/backers and started following a clear direction/path.
They say exactly what we can expect and when we can expect them.
They are always within i week of their estimated release date.
And i can go on and on.

Sure they have made a couple mistakes in the path, but doesn't everybody ? ...
24 out of 25 developers on this site wouldn't listen to critique and keep following their own path, this team actually listened and learned from their mistakes.

And if people claim false things and attack their team personally when they are absolutely incorrect, well... I might be a little bit annoyed as well ;).

In short.
There are a lot of developers on this site that deserve all the shit you can throw at them, but this team is absolutely not one of them...
Would even be on my top 5 list of the most trustworthy, transparent and talented development teams.
Dude this makes me all warm and gooey inside. When SR7 & I first started this thing, we did so on a premise of "we have to expel the crowdfunding stereotype of milking, or scammers". I decided a schedule and always showing our work, and being completely transparent was the best way to do this. If I could I would buy you a beer or 20 lol. Thanks for the support!

-SmokeShank

J..D

Naughty Attic Gaming
Donor
Game Developer
Apr 19, 2019
Dude this makes me all warm and gooey inside. When SR7 & I first started this thing, we did so on a premise of "we have to expel the crowdfunding stereotype of milking, or scammers". I decided a schedule and always showing our work, and being completely transparent was the best way to do this. If I could I would buy you a beer or 20 lol. Thanks for the support!
Don't worry about the beer, just keep doing what you guys have been doing ... That's more than enough for me(y)

Reactions: Gunsmoke Games

Paitryn

Mar 10, 2017
You saying we have an ill attitude towards the player base is unfounded and completely false. In fact if we had any ill attitude towards our player base we wouldn't have requested ownership over this thread (Locke's doing as well we don't share any links here just communicate and fought long and hard over the stipulation that we don't condone the sharing of our builds). We are transparent as water, and care deeply about our fan base, we have created a thriving community, switched gears and listened to our fans, and have been steadily growing over the last few years. In addition to the transparency statement, I feel we are one of the leaders in that field as no matter what happens we share our work when we say we will. We are humans, and not only that creators! These projects are not just labors of love, they are our future, our livelihoods. For that fact we protect our projects at all costs and are easily engaged in unproductive arguments with critics. I want to add as well Locke is new to this world, he is new to being on this side of the field. I personally know debating with critics, and other people on this forum, will just bring more critics out. I appreciate your input, and once again (since you clearly are passionate about this project) invite you to our community to share more of your suggestions.

-SmokeShank
Never said you weren't transparent so I don't know that keeps coming up all the time. But if you like I can dig through the posts in this thread, you and locke have been less than ideal in your statements very often. You and I have had talks in the past, and oddly enough many changes the game development has made (such as completing girl content instead of a little bit here and there seemingly random) were ones I suggested multiple times. I'm not saying I'm the reason, but that it seems like I may know what I like to see in a game. Even if you met me with a lot of resistance then as Locke does now.

Your body of work isn't in question. Nor your passion for the game. But don't for a moment think that absolves you of something. As the Japanese say "this is this and that is that." One action does not excuse another.

I fail to see why anyone on this planet would think it acceptable to pick on someone and be excused for it just because they are a creator. This really didn't begin about me, but his actions toward another person. If you think that telling me your a good person somewhere else, and how much good you do for the world excuses an action, would somehow stop me from thinking the way I do, you would be mistaken.

Gunsmoke Games

Something Unlimited
Game Developer
Sep 5, 2018
Never said you weren't transparent so I don't know that keeps coming up all the time. But if you like I can dig through the posts in this thread, you and locke have been less than ideal in your statements very often. You and I have had talks in the past, and oddly enough many changes the game development has made (such as completing girl content instead of a little bit here and there seemingly random) were ones I suggested multiple times. I'm not saying I'm the reason, but that it seems like I may know what I like to see in a game. Even if you met me with a lot of resistance then as Locke does now.

Your body of work isn't in question. Nor your passion for the game. But don't for a moment think that absolves you of something. As the Japanese say "this is this and that is that." One action does not excuse another.

I fail to see why anyone on this planet would think it acceptable to pick on someone and be excused for it just because they are a creator. This really didn't begin about me, but his actions toward another person. If you think that telling me your a good person somewhere else, and how much good you do for the world excuses an action, would somehow stop me from thinking the way I do, you would be mistaken.
I'm not in this to be a good person dude, I'm in this to make amazing games. As well I have never called myself a good person, that is for others to decide by my actions, not me. The list of people who legitimately do not like me is growing by the day. But I still keep on doing what I do. If you're searching for an apology then have one! I'm sorry you feel this way (I'm Canadian apologizing is in my blood). But I do want to point out you're pulling a victim card, and not allowing us to do the same. So in essence we are not allowed to be human, and be offended, but you are? Seems some what hypocritical if you ask me. But you seem to have a major point you want to prove and I respect that. Once again feel free to join our growing community, the invitation is in my signature.

-SmokeShank

P.S just a little fun! one of my mods (Haseo) made this meme a few days ago

odnanref

Jan 29, 2018
Since it is porting to mobile there are several issues with drag and drop.
1. Lack of space
2. Gesture overload
3. Accessibility

I mean lack of space, in a cellphone the large menu with all characters is impossible. You cannot see, and cannot even properly drag and drop people in their intended spots. Even with a functioning drag and drop system.

Gesture overload: You know how cellphones allow you to enter a quick menu when you drag your finger through certain parts of the screen in certain directions? Yeah, that is one issue. The game would have to override that and it makes it confusing to users. However, the biggest issue is when you have drag and drop and you need to scroll down or up. There are small solutions but they are sometimes finicky and not always ideal.

Accessibility: Well some people do not have steady hands to put it mildly. Caused by a specific sickness or accident.

This goes into detail if you are interested:

An alternative:
Discoverable controls: Basically have a menu with all the girls. When the user clicks on one girl you get the three options of placement. If the option is not available it does not appear. Similar to what was done in the labs when creating devices. You are never getting more than those 9 spots for any-one building anyway. If you want to know what is filled and what is not it is as simple as having a small bar with nine distinct spots that can fill themselves as you fill the spots. Does not even have to be a bar.
An example would be this:

Now, if people still want something like a drag and drop here are some possible solutions. However, take note that these are for small screens thus they will look weird on computer screens and are not efficient.
Change screen: Basically give one screen with all options, then when an option is selected give another screen where they can drag and drop their choice. Like this:

I understand why arrow clicking would become annoying but honestly, you could have just gone and look up why drag and drop is an issue, alternatives to the problem, and proposed solutions. I know the developer has to do this anyway and it would be basically doing the job for them. However, doing this shows two things, that you are not complaining and that you know of better ways of solving the problem. Some of them might be harder to code than others. Also, helping him explore avenues that he might not have thought of will accelerate the development process. Think about it, this is a group of no more than 5 people (from what I have gathered) developing a game. The quality is the same as an indie company with at least 10 people if not 20. Hence why it has taken a couple of years to finish. Helping them find better solutions will accelerate the transition.

Talking about the discoverable menu in the labs. I am not sure how well that is going to work on a phone. Mainly because it is a discoverable menu inside a discoverable menu to create a new mind controlling device. I think it will work fine if we move to a different menu when clicking on devices and then have the discoverable menu for creating new devices and the such. I might be wrong though and there might be no issues to how it is on a cellphone.

Anyway, love the game. Hope some of this was helpful.

Paitryn

Mar 10, 2017
I'm not in this to be a good person dude, I'm in this to make amazing games. As well I have never called myself a good person, that is for others to decide by my actions, not me. The list of people who legitimately do not like me is growing by the day. But I still keep on doing what I do. If you're searching for an apology then have one! I'm sorry you feel this way (I'm Canadian apologizing is in my blood). But I do want to point out you're pulling a victim card, and not allowing us to do the same. So in essence we are not allowed to be human, and be offended, but you are? Seems some what hypocritical if you ask me. But you seem to have a major point you want to prove and I respect that. Once again feel free to join our growing community, the invitation is in my signature.

-SmokeShank

P.S just a little fun! one of my mods (Haseo) made this meme a few days ago
Never said I was a victim. I never said someone was bullying me. And I'm not one to apologize to. No one said you couldn't be human, but you seem to be unwilling to admit a wrongdoing or mistake but instead double down and use the excuse of I'm a developer so it's ok that I do. I'm also not offended in any way. You seem to keep making massive assumptions about me without any actual basis. I simply stood up for someone being picked on by the developer for expressing his dislike.

If you want to actually apologize to someone direct it to the person that needed it not me. But since you seem to lack the sincerity and instead just trying to do it to shut me up, I don't think that would do that person any favors. So honestly talking to me isn't really going to get you anywhere in this.

As for joining your community, I do apologize but I don't invest as much time as one thinks I do to this section of my life or this game in particular. I play multiple of these games a month and pretty much all developers have a discord.

LockeKosta

Sep 25, 2018
Since it is porting to mobile there are several issues with drag and drop.
1. Lack of space
2. Gesture overload
3. Accessibility

I mean lack of space, in a cellphone the large menu with all characters is impossible. You cannot see, and cannot even properly drag and drop people in their intended spots. Even with a functioning drag and drop system.

Gesture overload: You know how cellphones allow you to enter a quick menu when you drag your finger through certain parts of the screen in certain directions? Yeah, that is one issue. The game would have to override that and it makes it confusing to users. However, the biggest issue is when you have drag and drop and you need to scroll down or up. There are small solutions but they are sometimes finicky and not always ideal.

Accessibility: Well some people do not have steady hands to put it mildly. Caused by a specific sickness or accident.

This goes into detail if you are interested:
My man! You're exactly right and you put that beautifully!

An alternative:
Discoverable controls: Basically have a menu with all the girls. When the user clicks on one girl you get the three options of placement. If the option is not available it does not appear. Similar to what was done in the labs when creating devices. You are never getting more than those 9 spots for any-one building anyway. If you want to know what is filled and what is not it is as simple as having a small bar with nine distinct spots that can fill themselves as you fill the spots. Does not even have to be a bar.
An example would be this:
I literally talked to some users about doing something like this yesterday morning in our Discord. XD

Now, if people still want something like a drag and drop here are some possible solutions. However, take note that these are for small screens thus they will look weird on computer screens and are not efficient.
Change screen: Basically give one screen with all options, then when an option is selected give another screen where they can drag and drop their choice. Like this:

I understand why arrow clicking would become annoying but honestly, you could have just gone and look up why drag and drop is an issue, alternatives to the problem, and proposed solutions. I know the developer has to do this anyway and it would be basically doing the job for them. However, doing this shows two things, that you are not complaining and that you know of better ways of solving the problem. Some of them might be harder to code than others. Also, helping him explore avenues that he might not have thought of will accelerate the development process. Think about it, this is a group of no more than 5 people (from what I have gathered) developing a game. The quality is the same as an indie company with at least 10 people if not 20. Hence why it has taken a couple of years to finish. Helping them find better solutions will accelerate the transition.
The only way to do something like that would practically be making 2 completely different versions of the game - and that's just impractical given our size and whatnot. Tapping with your fingers is even quicker and more seamless on its own than clicking too - you can have one finger over one arrow and one over the other naturally, and selecting is whichever finger is closest as opposed to moving a single input to and fro (think about how quickly people type text on phones with two fingers and you'll understand how the same input system is made even easier on mobile vs PC in an instance like this) - so once it's fleshed out with some of the other features I've talked about, I think mobile users are going to find the system quite quick and more than acceptable in practice if they don't already believe so.

Also, just to clarify, GG is a 3 person team. We all wear multiple hats given the circumstances and whatnot, but to break it down in simple terms - 1 artist, 1 programmer, 1 business guy. It's flattering of you to say that the quality is up to 10-20 people but even I'd have a hard time agreeing with that as things are right this second - but give us some time to organize, get this rebuild caught up and start working on OC to show where we're really at, and I think we might be able to reasonably live up to that praise. We're sure going to try to.

Talking about the discoverable menu in the labs. I am not sure how well that is going to work on a phone. Mainly because it is a discoverable menu inside a discoverable menu to create a new mind controlling device. I think it will work fine if we move to a different menu when clicking on devices and then have the discoverable menu for creating new devices and the such. I might be wrong though and there might be no issues to how it is on a cellphone.

Anyway, love the game. Hope some of this was helpful.
It was god-fucking-awful! LOL

I completely spaced on thinking about mobile when I made that, and didn't remember it until Smoke was testing the mobile version just before we were about to send it out and said, "Hey, it's kinda hard to get hover effects to work on mobile."

I really wanted to get it out before April was up because in our April 1st post we said there'd be a demo later in April. So I just quickly adjusted the mobile controls there to be workable enough for people to be able to buy devices in the demo, but there will be a better solution on mobile for the more finalized product for sure.

Appreciate the feedback and seeing someone else understand the sort of challenges that had to be addressed.

Reactions: llong0415 and Fyo

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
The only way to do something like that would practically be making 2 completely different versions of the game - and that's just impractical given our size and whatnot.
It's also unfortunately what you have to do if you want to make a really good game. Otherwise you have an interface that is poor on PC or one that is poor on mobile. You can try to make one that works on both, but don't fool yourself into thinking you can make one UI that's good for both. There's a reason adaptive and responsive design are such a big part of web development since the rise of the mobile. I don't pretend to know what you need to do to detect screen size and present the appropriate UI in Unity, but that's what we have to do when designing a website.
I think mobile users are going to find the system quite quick and more than acceptable in practice if they don't already believe so.
It's not mobile users you need to sell on the design, it's all the players who play on PC (which so far is all of them, I think?). Sacrificing gameplay experience for your existing players in the hope of attracting some new ones seems risky.

nad destroyer

Jul 27, 2017
This might seem like a stupid question but does this game have sound/music? Sometimes my computers speakers don't work for various reasons.

Also at the beginning of he game does it matter which heroine gets chosen to be enslaved first?

LockeKosta

Sep 25, 2018
It's also unfortunately what you have to do if you want to make a really good game. Otherwise you have an interface that is poor on PC or one that is poor on mobile. You can try to make one that works on both, but don't fool yourself into thinking you can make one UI that's good for both. There's a reason adaptive and responsive design are such a big part of web development since the rise of the mobile. I don't pretend to know what you need to do to detect screen size and present the appropriate UI in Unity, but that's what we have to do when designing a website.

It's not mobile users you need to sell on the design, it's all the players who play on PC (which so far is all of them, I think?). Sacrificing gameplay experience for your existing players in the hope of attracting some new ones seems risky.
I vehemently disagree, but I guess we'll see.

Reactions: Fyo

anubis1970

Engaged Member
Mar 1, 2018
This might seem like a stupid question but does this game have sound/music? Sometimes my computers speakers don't work for various reasons.

Also at the beginning of he game does it matter which heroine gets chosen to be enslaved first?
The answer to both questions is a simple no. There is no sound/music in the game, so if you really want something to listen to I suggest setting up a playlist of your favourite music and have it playing in the background. And it doesn't matter which of the initial three heroines you pick first, it's really just a matter of which one you prefer. Myself, I always go for Babs first. I'm a sucker for a cute red-head.

Reactions: nad destroyer

Djunk101

Oct 15, 2018
From what I've seen, the team seem like alright people. Worst I've seen is a bit of reactionary stuff here and some stuff Newman said in his experiences with the team (sans Sunset) working on the Scooby Doo project, particularly poor communication and management on the team's end (to the point where Newman had to be informed by a third party that the project was cancelled after the team announced it to everyone on Sunset's patreon). The Newman stuff is the worst I've heard, though.

Gunsmoke Games

Something Unlimited
Game Developer
Sep 5, 2018
From what I've seen, the team seem like alright people. Worst I've seen is a bit of reactionary stuff here and some stuff Newman said in his experiences with the team (sans Sunset) working on the Scooby Doo project, particularly poor communication and management on the team's end (to the point where Newman had to be informed by a third party that the project was cancelled after the team announced it to everyone on Sunset's patreon). The Newman stuff is the worst I've heard, though.
There is kinda more to the Newman story, but if we were to call him out on anything it might look like the big guy picking on the little guy. Not to say there was anything to call him out on, but if there was something, it probably would have been in our best interests as a business to just let it go. You know, deal with it behind the scenes per say. I might be more inclined to reveal our side of the story if you joined our growing community, link is in my signature :ROFLMAO:.

- SmokeShank

Reactions: Fran100

Djunk101

Oct 15, 2018
There is kinda more to the Newman story, but if we were to call him out on anything it might look like the big guy picking on the little guy. Not to say there was anything to call him out on, but if there was something it probably would have been in our best interests as a business to just let it go. You know, deal with it behind the scenes per say.
I getcha. I'm not overly familiar with Newman as a person, both of you seem to have moved passed it, and it's none of my business if you all don't want to make it a public affair, after all.

nad destroyer

Jul 27, 2017
The answer to both questions is a simple no. There is no sound/music in the game, so if you really want something to listen to I suggest setting up a playlist of your favourite music and have it playing in the background. And it doesn't matter which of the initial three heroines you pick first, it's really just a matter of which one you prefer. Myself, I always go for Babs first. I'm a sucker for a cute red-head.
Thanks. I figured there wouldn't be any music once I finished checking speakers. I went with Black Canary myself. Batgirl seems to be barely legal lol.

Another question... in regards to the henchwomen it was mentioned that which one is currently selected effects scenes... are those scenes repeatable? If they are repeatable then it doesn't really matter which one I have working.

slick05

Oct 13, 2017
This is definitely a good game, and this has probably been asked to death, don't know if GG has answered.. Any possibility of a similar game, in the same style but in the Marvel Universe, or DC/Marvel Infinity Crisis-esque game? Love this game and there really isn't a Marvel equivalent quite like it that I've found. The art style especially in this game is great, no other comic book type game has quite nailed the style like GG and I feel like they would without a doubt be the best to do a Marvel type game, if they decided to.

Reactions: nekkromenzer
4.00 star(s) 154 Votes