VN - Ren'Py - Completed - Sorcerer [v1.0.0] [Talothral]

1. 4.00 star(s)

botc76

Edited and updated review:
    Sorcerer is a strange animal. I liked the many different characters, I liked the obvious harem approach, the fantasy setting, the variety of types of LI and the quick development time.
    The writing in my opinion has improved, with one thing I have a problem with, to which I will come back later.
    Renders are still nothing great, but perfectly serviceable.
    All in all, considering a game with a very similar premise, which was very popular seems to be stuck in development hell, Sorcerer is a great alternative to that.

Okay, now for my little discourse about what I perceive as the one remaining flaw (and this is definitely just my personal preference, not a general problem).
    Sorcerer is basically told only through dialogue and visuals, like a film. There is no narrator, there are no descriptions, you see what happens and the characters talk. In itself, I like the concept, it is kind of an unnecessary limitation, considering that even films and theatre plays find ways around it, if they need to, but it certainly is something that I can appreciate.
    Sadly, it is also the one thing that I find really negative about the game.
    It's the sex scenes. There is of course very little dialogue and a lot of them are just repeated, simple fuck animations, not in itself bad, but also not outstanding or anything. Now, a good descriptive narration for a sex scene can be the most erotic thing for me and certainly make up for any flaws in the visuals, but of course there is none here, due to the way Sorcerer's story is told.
    What a pity, I would probably give the game five stars by now, if not for this.

But this is definitely a great game, well worth playing, actually finished and with plenty of LIs available and given how diverse they are, everyone should find a few that he or she or they really like.
  2. 4.00 star(s)

Every1sGrudge

[Rev @ v0.4.0]

Like it a lot, but it's in dire need of an editor.

Art's nice, if simple. Character models are appealing and I appreciate not seeing Max for the millionth time.

Writing is of mixed quality. The scenario is familiar but not irritatingly so. Narrative and characterization are strong and have me wanting to see more of this project. I really like the MC thus far. The moment-to-moment writing voice is confused and choppy and really needs an editor and/or proof reader.

As of the current version the only NSFW content was a brief fully nude bath scene. I did appreciate the authoral restraint shown by not immediately having two complete strangers start bumping uglies.

I dislike the sequences of silent slideshows in place of narration; they're jarring and disruptive to click through and disappear entirely if the Ren'py skip command is engaged, leading to some WTF moments.

TLDR: Current quality straddles the line between 3 and 4 stars, with the potential on display tipping the balance. Godspeed~