VN Ren'Py Completed Space Trucking [v1.0.3] [TARGames]

4.00 star(s) 1 Vote
Jul 14, 2018
Interesting, I'll be watching for the larger release. Any projected time frame in mind?
TLDR is - Blizzard time, unfortunately.

The only things that could speed things up would be about a grand of general computer upgrades and then apparently another two or three for a video card.

the sidestep around that would be to get a dedicated artist, which still leaves a few months of learning more about Renpy and Python, to get the interactions working as I need them.

I’m planning a non-story-based test of those interactions (working name Kelltoy) which would include 2 of the women at least, if not all of them. No timeframe on that either.

So unless you know a artist and Renpy/python coder who works for free (a completely unreasonable ask) ... it’ll be done when it’s done.

BUCCO

Feb 20, 2020
very nice game, I'm waiting for another update, I know that the inscription was complete, but one dev said- never say never..so, maybe ;-) thank you for a nice story :p

Zaq Reman

Jan 28, 2018
very nice game, I'm waiting for another update, I know that the inscription was complete, but one dev said- never say never..so, maybe ;-) thank you for a nice story :p
This is complete but from what the dev has said it's also somewhat meant as a teaser for a longer project, so you can at least look forward to that.

I agree with former said poster that when MC is black im out. It is not a racist thing, i just dont find it appealing.

To some it prob. is the shiat, and huzza for them, but for me it is a instant no.
Would love it if were optional what race the human were.
Funny how in other games I can't ever remember anyone showing up saying that the main character's race is a dealbreaker and requesting the ability to play a black guy instead, but a game with a black protag suddenly there are people saying they're totally not racist but they really think the dev should add an alternate protag to appeal to them.

BUCCO

Feb 20, 2020
This is complete but from what the dev has said it's also somewhat meant as a teaser for a longer project, so you can at least look forward to that.

Funny how in other games I can't ever remember anyone showing up saying that the main character's race is a dealbreaker and requesting the ability to play a black guy instead, but a game with a black protag suddenly there are people saying they're totally not racist but they really think the dev should add an alternate protag to appeal to them.
yes i read what DEV wrote, he needs a renpy expert, I hope he finds him ;-) I will wait with hope ;-)

Jul 14, 2018
I agree with former said poster that when MC is black im out. It is not a racist thing, i just dont find it appealing.

To some it prob. is the shiat, and huzza for them, but for me it is a instant no.
Would love it if were optional what race the human were.
As this is an introduction of both the world and one of the nine love interests of the main game I’m slowly banging out, in order to relay specific information about her and allow for specific interactions and statements from her that give insight to her people, the story requires the player be a black male.

I understand playing a specific sort of MC is not everyone’s thing, and that’s fine. I would expect a person to simply move on.

I am not certain what it is a person is trying to say when they make their displeasure known about the ethnicity of a MC. Or, rather, there’s only one conclusion I can draw, if someone is so displeased that they feel it necessary to announce it on a public forum, and that conclusion was drawn by others as well.

yes i read what DEV wrote, he needs a renpy expert, I hope he finds him ;-) I will wait with hope ;-)
I'll figure it out *eventually*. The eventually is the issue.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017
I'm mostly with the majority here. If you don't like a game - don't play it. I have too many things to do that I enjoy, to hang around those that I don't.
(And I'm investing way, waay too much time into this post, trying to get it right and my thoughts straight in a foreign language ...)

In terms of VNs this means if there is content present I don't like, I have to weigh the pros against the cons. And, at least for me, if I don't see the MC, I can live with a lot of things that might turn me away if I saw him/her in every second image.

On a more basic/general level - while immersing with a person that doesn't resemble me is more difficult if that was that much of a dealbreaker for me, that would render almost every VN on here unplayable for me, and would spoil most books, movies, ... too.
May it be that infamous HoneySelect-MC, people of color, female MCs, MCs with a dick like their forearm (I did delete games for that one already), different hair color, ...

It's about the whole deal. So if the rest of it or at least enough of it is to my liking - great. If not - I wouldn't have played a game I'm definitely not in the aimed for audience of anyway - regardless of how much the MC might have been my twin in visuals.
How strongly you feel about your immersion depending on what parts of the MC, is highly subjective of course.

Ignoring that feedback may be provided in a rude, or perceived as rude, way, lacking an explanation or anything like that, saying - 'if you feel strongly enough about a topic to post in a public forum about it makes you a ...ist in case you reject something because of that detail' feels too generalized/wrong to me.

I think the problem is more the form of Malcowitz's post than its content.

Admittedly I've never been a victim to any ...ism nor do I know anyone that has (or told me about it), so I have no idea how it sounds/feels to those that have and/or are affected.
So I apologize if this is/feels ignorant to those that have been/are.

But if provided in a more thought out, detailed way and maybe combined with positive elements too, just voicing that a specific detail is the reason for you not playing a game should be totally legit. It provides feedback (in that case hopefully constructive instead of just thrown in your face) that might be helpful depending on the dev(s) and their future plans.

As an example - if I found a game I really liked, and some girls I found really stunning had humongous breasts while I preferred smaller ones, mentioning I wished those girls had smaller breasts didn't have to be me saying there mustn't be games with larger breasted girls - or that the dev needed to give them smaller ones. Being embedded in context obviously would help to transport my intention. If it was mentioned several times it might result in the dev considering this with new girls or a later game though. Or not! And either I would accept that/just concentrate on the other girls, or move on.

If the poster pushed the issue, starting a discussion, or saying the game had to be altered accordingly - it's going in the ..ism direction pretty fast, but (the original post isn't there anymore, so this is from memory) Malcowitz didn't. He left a very short and with that brusque-sounding statement, that was overly open to interpretation.

As it was - I just read over it. Just someone not playing the game and moving on after that post.
Then came the site of response posts. And while I nodded while reading them and agreed with most of them right then, their sheer mass and felt increasing generality made me think.

If the posts mentioned thought out, detailed version was racism too, that would mean, you can't let people hear you have reasons (as explained by Malcowitz later - here immersion) to not play a game with a specific detail without being a ...ist about it. (This is this general on purpose as that is how those replies felt to me in the end, somewhat detached from the initial point of umbrage.)
But if it wasn't while the short one was, that would mean that you aren't (that much) of an ...ist as long as you are eloquent enough about it.

That leaves me with the need of having to weigh each statement somewhat individually though.

Short as the initial post was, it was thrown in in passing. Was that good? No. Was that the smartest thing to do? I wouldn't say so. Was it thoughtless? Seems so very much. But was it an act of utter racism? I don't think so.

And as such I would say, there definitely are posts deserving all these responses. But I don't think this one is one of them.

HansDampf788

Dec 31, 2018
The worldbuilding you did with this was ok but that is also the problem because the whole game was just a huge information dump on the reader for your future game.

When it comes to the characters there is not much to say about the MC but there are a few things about Khern especially because you said she is a LI in your next game, overall I don't like her look she's too muscular for me but what's even worse is that all the information presented about her and her race I can't see her as a viable LI for the next game.

Jul 14, 2018
The worldbuilding you did with this was ok but that is also the problem because the whole game was just a huge information dump on the reader for your future game.

When it comes to the characters there is not much to say about the MC but there are a few things about Khern especially because you said she is a LI in your next game, overall I don't like her look she's too muscular for me but what's even worse is that all the information presented about her and her race I can't see her as a viable LI for the next game.
Noted, and it's what I assumed would be the average reaction, and one of the reasons I went with her for this. She's one of the three that are the most nonstandard, the other two being a woman with extensive prosthetics and a seven and a half foot catmonster. Khern fit standard attractiveness rules better than the other two and (more importantly) had an easier one-off story.

As this got an overall positive response, I see value in continuing in earnest.

The next thing I'm working on will feature the woman in my profile picture first and - where this is a lengthy story with a little sex at the end, will be the opposite - the barest framework needed for a repeating endless sex scene, as the framework there is what I'm intending for the full game and it's easier to work out as a stand-alone. You may enjoy that one better. It's also something I can update by just adding another woman in to it.

• Love
Reactions: dude4real
Jul 14, 2018
As fascinating as the discussion is about what is and isn't racism, can I selfishly request it be either dropped or moved to a thread in General Discussions? I'm still looking for as much feedback as people care to give, and - again, selfishly - that's not productive for me here.

Reactions: XenoFash

K18

Apr 19, 2018
So far an interesting demo/prologue for your planned "6000 Years From Home" story. Will we see MC/Reggie and Khern meet again in 6000 Years From Home? With their time together here carrying over to the next story.
As mentioned, it became a little wordy/drawn out at times. Where certain dialogue could be put into a Info Sheet/Codex (character info, terminologies on species/races, locations, world's history/lore, etc.) to read at anytime, for example something like Tales From The Unending Void's codex. I agree with Khern on MC asking too many questions :LOL:, hopefully for MC, he gains more experience before the next game to calm down his curiosity.
I like the MC's character design, handsome, keep it as is, it's quite refreshing to see more variety in the appearance of MCs in these visual novel games, like having variety in love interests. For Khern's design, i like her's too, muscular but still feminine figure for a Qurelst, the tattoos are a hit or miss at times looking like "skin bumps?", still a pretty lady.

Last edited:

Jash83

Jun 8, 2019
So anyway, with the controversial and stupid arguments out of the way, I finished the game. Pretty good.

Got a bit of critical feedback, although I'll start with a few nitpicky things: first thing that struck me was the music. Like, literally struck me: maybe it was because I already had a headache when I started playing, but that constant bass line thrumming made it worse until the only way I could keep going was to turn it down to a REALLY low level (didn't want to mute it completely because I don't like playing games in silence, or putting on outside music, which I'd find distracting). And it was just the one piece repeating throughout the entire thing. Another track or two during the pirate attack or the sex scene would have gone a hell of a long way.

Secondly, I was surprised that you were prompted to enter a last name for the player character, only for your first name to be fixed as "Reggie". Dunno what that was about. I get that Khern usually calls you "Cadet <last name>", but it's weird only being able to personalise half of your name- and normally when that happens, it's the FIRST name you choose. Should have just made him a fixed character with a predetermined name who we're playing as. Not a big deal, but odd. I assume Reggie isn't going to be the protagonist of '6000 Years From Home', but then I haven't read every post in this thread.

Thirdly, I think you might have been trying just a BIT too hard to make the names sound alien. "Qurelst" isn't too bad, but... "Ghrrerlian"...? That's a mouthful alright. You put a lot of effort into making the worldbuilding realistic, but unless the Ghrrerelians by some cosmic coincidence wrote in English even before they met humanity and that's how they spell it, I doubt we would have adapted the pronounciation of their species into written English with quite that many consonants.

Onto more detailed feedback: I agree with people who think the game was a bit too heavy on the infodumping, particularly the introduction sequence where you get a massive load of galactic history dropped on you. Yes, it's skippable, but since this game is about worldbuilding for the full game... skipping it is basically skipping the game (we weren't JUST here for the green pussy, after all). As others have suggested, a better idea would be incorporating it in a Mass Effect-style Codex the player (distinct from the character, who already knows all this stuff) can access from a menu at their own leisure. Khern, while an interesting and layered character in her own right, also came across a bit dry. It didn't feel like she was eager to talk about her species, like it's something she enjoys doing, more like something she just feels she has to do, like moving down a checklist, which was fine when you were asking her about shipping procedures, less so when you were asking about Qurelst culture. She's a very professional person (mostly), but I think it would work better if she more clearly enjoyed talking about her people, out of racial pride or something. In general she had a tendency to speak rather mechanically, which is probably deliberate because she's not an native English speaker (the bit where she talks about contractions was amusing), but it does make her sound a bit Vulcan-ish at times, when Qurelst are clearly supposed to be from more of the Klingon end of the spectrum. The worldbuilding is really well thought-out and detailed, though, which was quite impressive- although if the game it's setting up is meant to be taking place 6000 light years from known space, I wonder how important any of it's actually going to end up being beyond inter-species relationships between the starting characters?

Another thing was that the character conflict between the two of you was more than a little contrived. It struck me as a bit silly (and honestly feels like it struck Reggie as a bit silly too) that Khern would find herself on the verge of going berserk just because you accidentally said the word "pig" in a context which she is 100% aware was meant to be the opposite of offensive, to the point that it's jeopardising the entire trip and both of your jobs. So she's been doing this job with dozens of different humans for years and either no-one has ever said the word "pig" before (unlikely given how she immediately mentioned that EVERY trainee she's ever had has had to put up with her BO), or this has presumably already happened multiple times and she STILL has no better way of dealing with it? That bit was honestly very contrived. There was probably a more realistic way of getting Khern onto Reggie's cock. Would have honestly just been more realistic for her to come onto Reggie normally after the fight with the pirates, the way she'd apparently been intending on doing anyway. And honestly I think the game would have been improved with a bit more open sexual tension between Khern and Reggie over the time they're spending together so he's more obviously attracted to her by the time things come to a head, and it doesn't sound like he's protesting too much when he assures Khern that he does find her attractive.

Although the actual sex scene was excellent, albeit a bit brief and without some of the nice bells and whistles like animation, sound effects, and some different music which could have made it fantastic. While she's a matter of personal preference judging from other comments, Khern is just fucking gorgeous to me and the prospect of her being a love interest in 6000 Years definitely gets me interested in keeping an eye on that. Wouldn't have minded if the following 7 1/2 weeks of sex had been shown just a bit though, even in just a couple of still images, rather than glossed over in a brief bit of text at the end of it. Seriously, 7 1/2 weeks of constant sex, and we don't get to see ANY of the different places they found to do it? Particularly the shower sex. I love shower sex scenes. And actual shower sex, now that I think about it.

On a general technical sense (aside from the music), the models and environments were excellent- again, especially Khern. The settings really looked like what you'd expect the inside of an outdated space freighter to look like. Dunno if you were using stock Daz assets or something, I haven't played that many sci-fi VNs, but it looked like they'd had a reasonable amount of effort put into them. The custom text fonts for each character's speech took a bit of getting used to and initially I didn't like them, but they kind of grew on me by the end.

Finally, considering all the rather baseless controversy about Reggie being black, he was for the most part the best kind of black protagonist- one where the fact that he was black didn't actually matter (where you answer the question "Why is the protagonist black?" with "Why SHOULDN'T the protagonist be black?"). Although there were two points where the story brushed up against his race which stuck out. Firstly when Khern commented on humanity having a fictional species very similar to Qurelst (orcs) and compared it to the Qurelst ironically having their own mythical species of demons who resembled humans, whose skins were described as ranging from pink to dark, which was a bit odd, normally mythology doesn't include a lot of racial diversity in fictional species. It might have worked better if Qurelst also came in a range of hues and shades of green. I can see how the Qurelst having a mythological species of dark-skinned demons would have had unfortunate implications, and a race of pink/pale-skinned ones would have been comical (Reggie would have immediately said "so what's your point...?"), although maybe playing it comical would have been the way to go there. Secondly when she compared Qurelst being called "piggies" to if she called Reggie a "gorilla" because humans are descended from primates, then called Reggie out on denying that it would bother him. I don't think that worked as well. Thinking back on it, one thing that I didn't like about Khern so much was that, while she is obviously older and wiser and more experienced than Reggie, she came across a bit TOO much of a know-it-all at times- like there was nothing she didn't already know about humans. That little argument might have worked better if Khern had hypothesised about calling Reggie a gorilla while being UNaware of the historical implications of that insult to a human like him, and had been put on the backfoot briefly when Reggie quietly pointed it out to her. Honestly it just felt a bit too much like Khern was always right, about everything, all the time.

But in general, this was a good little read, with a HOT AS FUCK sex scene payoff. So yeah, as a teaser for 6000 Years From Home, I'd say it accomplished its goals pretty well.

Jul 14, 2018
But in general, this was a good little read, with a HOT AS FUCK sex scene payoff. So yeah, as a teaser for 6000 Years From Home, I'd say it accomplished its goals pretty well.
Greatly appreciate the input.

I do have a basic infodumping computer in 6000 Years From Home, but I didn't see the need to add it there - maybe I should have. Another thing I didn't do was actually show a Ghrrerlian, the name being an approximation of something that Human/Qurelst vocal chords can't even reproduce, so that's another fault - maybe I should have thrown one in the elevator scene. The whole game came essentially from a three or four line story Khern tells the player in 6000 Years From Home (and my realization that it's a fairly linear thing that I could bang out in less than a month)

You're right in that it's contrived (but no more contrived than half the plots of VNs) but was also an attempt at showing the on-a-dime spins they can do with their emotions.

As far as the sets go - the Office and Bridge are pre-built, the Corridor was a kind of modular hallway set, and the middle hall and quarters of the ship were built from a Sci-Fi kit, with some other assets thrown in. I figure the Bridge (and the ship itself) is going to be familiar with anyone who has worked with the Antares set pieces, but did what I could to make the rest unique.

You are right in that it was a bit Khern is Always Right. That is not the case in the other game, which might be why I swung that way in this one - something that, obviously, y'all have no way of knowing.

(I'll also say that while she was more or less written with Klingon dialogue in mind, her emotional state was written with pre-Surak Vulcans in mind because I am a giant nerd)

And thanks for the compliment on the lone sex scene.

I greatly appreciate your detailed review.

Reactions: Jash83
Jul 14, 2018
This was really good, nice to see a black mc for once. My only request is a first name option, that's it tbh. Keep it up!
Noted, and thanks for playing. The long and still unreleased thing I'm working - 6000 Years From Home - on has full name option. As this was written as the full version of a story Khern tells the player in that - part of it being she can't remember the guy's name, finally deciding it was definitely Reggie...something.

In retrospect, re-writing that and giving a full name option in this would have probably been better. Little late to fix it, I suppose.

The next short thing I'm working on alongside 6000 Years From Home (Kelltoy) has prenamed selectable protagonists (as the protagonist's identity is irrelevant), one white, one black, one green.

Reactions: LionSon69
4.00 star(s) 1 Vote