[Stable Diffusion] Prompt Sharing and Learning Thread

sharlotte

Jan 10, 2019
Not sure if this has ever been mentioned here, but there is a very good 'site' to help out with DOF settings, which can be used on SD and, I presume, ComfyUI, though I never tried it there:

Reactions: me3 and Sepheyer

Mr-Fox

Jan 24, 2020
I prefer NMKD over all others I have tried so far. Much more goes into the end result than only the upscaler.
I would recommend using a higher resolution to begin with. I often use 640x960 with SD1.5 and 2x upscale with hiresfix and I choose either NMKD superscale or NMKD Face. The denoising is very important for the result when upscaling, if you set it too high everything gets too smoothed out. The right amount of sample steps and hires steps is also fundamental. Then if you still want to take it a step further do an upscale in img2img but be very careful here with the denoising setting, also use more steps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimwalrus

hkennereth

Mar 3, 2019
Mr-Fox hkennereth
I find yours too a bit blurry/washed out, especially in the faces.
That's a style thing and entirely dependent on your prompt, not really a render quality issue. I intentionally ask for bloom and glow on my pictures to give them a softer look, since it's more elegant and less like it was taken with a phone camera. But the process I use can do that just the same.

The images attached here use the same process, and are a bit more sharp, although perhaps not like your examples since that's simply not what I aim to make:

Mr-Fox

Jan 24, 2020
Mr-Fox hkennereth
I find yours too a bit blurry/washed out, especially in the faces.

What I mean by "sharp" is stuff like this:

View attachment 3011733

View attachment 3011728

This one is a bit low res but details are still sharp asf ("carved out"):

View attachment 3011718
Compare the images I posted and your own of the same concept... My images are a big improvement over them if I might say so. Also I'm only using the scenario and concept you had posted earlier. If you keep moving the goalposts, none of us can help you. If this is the look you are going for, then find out which checkpoint they used to create the images. This is a completely different style and concept all together. You achieve sharpness by using as high resolution as possible from the beginning, depending on hardware and SD. Then do a very good upscale, with further refinement. I suggest that you try out SDXL checkpoints, Fenrisxl for example. This is the ckp I used for my recent Mista Fox, you can find by using the link below.

https://f95zone.to/threads/ai-art-show-us-your-ai-skill.138575/post-11967954

Reactions: Sepheyer

Fuchsschweif

Sep 24, 2019
This is a completely different style and concept all together.
It is but I wasn't talking about the style, but the clarity and sharpness of details. Two artworks must not share the same style in order to to be comparable in several subterms. I wasn't trying to offend any of you, I just think those pictures are on another level in terms of those two factors.. and as you said yourself earlier, we're all here to learn!

You achieve sharpness by using as high resolution as possible from the beginning, depending on hardware and SD. Then do a very good upscale, with further refinement. I suggest that you try out SDXL checkpoints, Fenrisxl for example. This is the ckp I used for my recent Mista Fox, you can find by using the link below.
I wanted to try higher but actually SD is starting to shutdown my computer again and again.. as soon as the upscaler kicks in at 3x settings (even though that worked fine earlier with the pics I posted here).

bluescreenviewer points at the RAM, which I find odd, since RAM isn't really much used with SD is it?

1697497777141.png

caused by "ntoskrnl.exe+41270"

:/

hkennereth

Mar 3, 2019
It is but I wasn't talking about the style, but the clarity and sharpness of details. Two artworks must not share the same style in order to to be comparable in several subterms. I wasn't trying to offend any of you, I just think those pictures are on another level in terms of those two factors.. and as you said yourself earlier, we're all here to learn!
Alas, you are actually talking about style, because the stuff you're talking about doesn't have anything to do with upscaling, which is what lead us to this discussion in the first place. The type of visual you shown in your example pictures are the result of prompts with a focus on sharpness, checkpoints like that have a focus on crisp images, and high CFG image generation settings. Check out the images I shared and you can see that even at lower resolutions they still have very fine hair and skin texture, detailed eyes, etc, which is what you're looking for when you're talking about "sharpness and detail".

So the process can do that, now you need to prompt for it, change your settings to allow it, and use a checkpoint that enables it.

Fuchsschweif

Sep 24, 2019
Alas, you are actually talking about style, because the stuff you're talking about doesn't have anything to do with upscaling, which is what lead us to this discussion in the first place. The type of visual you shown in your example pictures are the result of prompts with a focus on sharpness, checkpoints like that have a focus on crisp images, and high CFG image generation settings.
No, what lead us to this discussion was this question from me that you yourself quoted earlier:

With higher resolutions it gets definitely sharper. But since resolution isn't the only factor, is there a way to get sharper outputs at 1024x1024 already?
Clearly I was asking what else I can do to get sharper results, besides upscaling. Your post now has answered this question partially, so still thank you :p

Last edited:

Fuchsschweif

Sep 24, 2019
I wanted to try higher but actually SD is starting to shutdown my computer again and again.. as soon as the upscaler kicks in at 3x settings (even though that worked fine earlier with the pics I posted here).

bluescreenviewer points at the RAM, which I find odd, since RAM isn't really much used with SD is it?
By the way @ all regarding this issue here,
I did quick research, someone else had a similar problem on reddit (without mentioning RAM though), someone else replied "maybe the picture is corrupted".

So instead of taking that one generation I like to png info -> send to txt2image; I made a fresh generation with the same settings but different prompts and no starting seed, and it worked fine.

Apparently "corrupted pictures" (seeds) is a thing..

hkennereth

Mar 3, 2019
I made a fresh generation with the same settings but different prompts and no starting seed, and it worked fine.

Apparently "corrupted pictures" (seeds) is a thing..
In all my years (okay, year singular) using Stable Diffusion I have never heard of such a thing. And there is no such thing as generating without a starting seed either. You may not have used the same seed as whatever source prompt you got, but there is always a seed, it's what allows the generation of the initial noise field from which the image is created.

Fuchsschweif

Sep 24, 2019
In all my years (okay, year singular) using Stable Diffusion I have never heard of such a thing. And there is no such thing as generating without a starting seed either. You may not have used the same seed as whatever source prompt you got, but there is always a seed, it's what allows the generation of the initial noise field from which the image is created.
Yeah it seems that was just a lucky shot. Trying further it still crashes with fresh "projects" and also with other upscalers. Hmmm, very annoying.

hkennereth

Mar 3, 2019
Yeah it seems that was just a lucky shot. Trying further it still crashes with fresh "projects" and also with other upscalers. Hmmm, very annoying.
I blame A1111. I could barely ever make more than a few images with it without it crashing or cease responding for some unknown reason or another. It's just a bad piece of software. ComfyUI has surely a much steeper initial learning curve, but it's rock solid, never freezes, never crashes, and it's faster, and it handles images much, much larger.

Reactions: Fuchsschweif

Fuchsschweif

Sep 24, 2019
I blame A1111. I could barely ever make more than a few images with it without it crashing or cease responding for some unknown reason or another. It's just a bad piece of software. ComfyUI has surely a much steeper initial learning curve, but it's rock solid, never freezes, never crashes, and it's faster, and it handles images much, much larger.
Yeah I actually thought of just switchting and trying comfyUI instead.. I like the node-approach too! Since SD is the only thing that causes issues on my computer I also blame A1111 rn. It usually otherwise never crashes, not when I play games or work with heavy editing programs.

me3

Dec 31, 2016

View attachment 3011784

caused by "ntoskrnl.exe+41270"

:/
There's quite a few things that would cause RAM to get used some of them can easily use over 32gb of ram.
Since you probably aren't using SDXL, the more likely things causing it is that you're technically triggering OOM when you're upscaling. Which is very easy to do if you aren't paying attention. However your graphics drivers are "compensating" by offloading from VRAM to RAM. This generally causes a noticeable slow down though depending on when it happens. Most likely time is the last few steps in the upscaling when it hits things like vae and at that time you'll only notice it if you're looking at the system resource usage or by the last couple of percentages taking much longer to finish.

Depending on your settings you could also be storing previously used checkpoints in RAM. This is to speed up if you keep changing between different checkpoints. How many checkpoints are kept there depends on how many you've set, so that could eat quite a lot of RAM

Fuchsschweif

Sep 24, 2019
There's quite a few things that would cause RAM to get used some of them can easily use over 32gb of ram.
Since you probably aren't using SDXL, the more likely things causing it is that you're technically triggering OOM when you're upscaling. Which is very easy to do if you aren't paying attention. However your graphics drivers are "compensating" by offloading from VRAM to RAM. This generally causes a noticeable slow down though depending on when it happens. Most likely time is the last few steps in the upscaling when it hits things like vae and at that time you'll only notice it if you're looking at the system resource usage or by the last couple of percentages taking much longer to finish.

Depending on your settings you could also be storing previously used checkpoints in RAM. This is to speed up if you keep changing between different checkpoints. How many checkpoints are kept there depends on how many you've set, so that could eat quite a lot of RAM
Is there a way to check any of this in the settings? Resource monitor didn't show that my ram went full (I think 5 out of 16gb were in usage iirc). But it definitely happens after the upscaler kicks in and progress slows down. I just don't know why it worked so well earlier but not anymore. I didn't switch between checkpoints or VAE's since earlier.

me3

Dec 31, 2016
Only times i've had a1111 freeze is when running it on a 1050 with 2gb of vram and half of that gets used by the OS.
That isn't to say that the optimizing potential for A LOT of things isn't massive.
Specially when it comes to the "highres fix"...
Even on my 6gb vram i can easily batch 8 512x images using just 4gb so i could have gotten more if i "fixed" their setup. I can almost batch 6 1024x too, but using highres fix to "upscale" a single image OOM at around just 1500px...

Fuchsschweif

Sep 24, 2019
I think I will just dive into comfyUI tomorrow. The node system is cool and more control sounds good, and by learning ComfyUI I learn more about how SD works within the single steps. It's probably a great visual way of seeing modules working together rather than just reading an article that explains what happens under the hood.

Many people now said that comfyui also performs better and I am on a 1070, so.. I don't want to give my computer many more shutdowns, even if nothing happened yet, not worth the risk.

Does ComfyUI run on a web version too or can I run that completely locally?

me3

Dec 31, 2016
Is there a way to check any of this in the settings? Resource monitor didn't show that my ram went full (I think 5 out of 16gb were in usage iirc). But it definitely happens after the upscaler kicks in and progress slows down. I just don't know why it worked so well earlier but not anymore. I didn't switch between checkpoints or VAE's since earlier.
Keep your task manager open and look at the GPU output, It should show you graphs both for the VRAM and shared memory. IF usage for the shared memory goes up when the upscaling starts or towards the end, it's likely what's causing you issues.

That being said, even if it's overflowing into RAM usage you shouldn't be blue screening without some other issue. This could easily be an issue with faulty RAM, since there's a lot of RAM issue you won't notice unless it hits a certain usage percentage. Also it could be a issue with your graphics card, but less likely. Should check the temp on it just to be sure as it's fairly high load on is known to cause a fair bit of temp increase

Mr-Fox

Jan 24, 2020
If you are limited to 16Gb of ram I will perhaps suggest the obvious thing here. As soon as you can afford it, invest in 2 pair more sticks. I did and it has been tremendous. It will help the rest of your hardware have a longer reach until you can invest in a better GPU. Perhaps this is the reason I'm able to use SDXL checkpoints, not sure of this though. SD 1.5 doesn't like to go as high as 1024px but SDXL does. So you have more detail to work with right from the start. This makes the next step bring way more sharpness and detail than if you started out with 512px. But if SDXL is out of reach try 768x768 first, next is 960x960. Use the one that your pc can deal with. Then use hiresfix and adjust the multiplier until you get out of memory error. Ok now you know your limit within txt2img. Next go to img2img and use SD upscale and see how much you can get from this.
The big difference between hirefix and upscale with SD Upscale is that the later are using tiles when upscaling. This means your GPU only has to deal with a smaller image at a time. When you use SD Upscale the resolution in img2img tab becomes the tiles size adjustment and the multiplier and the size of the sample image decides the end resolution. SO you can achieve 4k and much more with a limited hardware if you simply adjust the tile size. Next option is of course to use photoshop to get more sharpness and detail with "smart sharpness" filter and the camera raw filter.

Last edited: