Steam lifts its ban on adult games!

Do you see this as a positive change to the Steam platform.

• Total voters

Ignazzio

Engaged Member
Donor
May 8, 2017
As much as everyone hates it, many games here--good ones, even--would not exist without the financial incentive made possible through Patreon.
They just have to switch to the model where they finish their games. Dev of House Party said that the income on Steam he has is incomperably bigger than this on a Patreon. Real market doesn't work on monthly updates and that would be good for our games.

Reactions: Eric123456789

Hadley

Sep 18, 2017
I'm 50/50 about this, the benefits of exposure to devs and their games are obvious, but thinking about how Patreon has forced devs to rewrite their games to comply with their own rules makes me wonder how much leverage Steam will have to do the same once devs are dependant on their market access. Considering how many kids use Steam, seems like it will be inevitable at some point.
Dude, have you even read their Post? They said exactly that they are not going to tell devs what to do. If the Game is not breaking any laws they wont care.

thecardinal

Latina midget, sub to my Onlyfans - cash for gash
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
I'm 50/50 about this, the benefits of exposure to devs and their games are obvious, but thinking about how Patreon has forced devs to rewrite their games to comply with their own rules makes me wonder how much leverage Steam will have to do the same once devs are dependant on their market access. Considering how many kids use Steam, seems like it will be inevitable at some point.
I know lots of kids use it, but lots of kids use Google and you can very easily find adult content there.

As long as Steam enables some kind of filter for adult content, then it is in the hands of the parents to filter what their children have access to.

Reactions: uradamus

GuyFreely

May 2, 2018
I know lots of kids use it, but lots of kids use Google and you can very easily find adult content there.

As long as Steam enables some kind of filter for adult content, then it is in the hands of the parents to filter what their children have access to.
Yeah, Steam needs to up it's game on kiddo protection. Something stronger than do you know what birthday would make you old enough to see this? They need to have accounts marked as underage and not just actively limit the games they see, but maybe prevent them from certain social aspects of the site as well. I can imagine some creepers use it to find kids.

Bass_Legend

Jun 5, 2017
An adult game should never show up on steam unless the user specifically ticks the box for adult games when browsing. That is my one hope. Just seems off if your not looking for it and see a popup sale or something for tits and ass mega fuckfest 2000

Reactions: nattydrom

Chel

Jun 1, 2017
An adult game should never show up on steam unless the user specifically ticks the box for adult games when browsing. That is my one hope. Just seems off if your not looking for it and see a popup sale or something for tits and ass mega fuckfest 2000
You can already filter tags on steam....

ApexDollar

Jun 6, 2018
It's great news for all the developers here. I can't imagine that steams guidelines will be any different to Patreons so I doubt developers will have to overhaul their games.

It will hopefully encourage devs to push for the final release rather than the monthly updates that fade into an abandoned game. Although I would hate to see the Patreon scene die as it has led to us helping some hobbyist developers bring out great games.

thecardinal

Latina midget, sub to my Onlyfans - cash for gash
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
"Dad, what's Tits and Ass Mega Fuckfest 2000?"
*dad not paying attention*
"I don't know, why don't you go ask your mother."

Reactions: Eric123456789

kiteares

Nov 15, 2017
I'm not a steam user, so this has never affected me, however I feel I can still have an opinion, despite the polll. Persoanlly, if handled right ie not pushing one agenda over another, not allowing big money games while blocking small ones, etc., I think it has to be a positive move, but I am ever sceptical of anything a large corporation does.

or parents who don't put restriction to what their children's have access to.
These are the people that should be banned...well from parenthood, M$ among all the crap actually has pretty good CP software. There's plenty of free stuff out there to restrict access and restrict hours of use (or just the mains switch). There is no excuse for lazy parenting. Before anyone asks, parent of 2 now adult children.

ETA and yes, I understand that "except for things that we decide are illegal" is a VERY grey area. Ummm, the courts and laws and things like that decide. If corporations got to "decide" what's legal or not, we'd all be fucked.
We're all fucked then. :/

Will adult game devs will prevail or those religious cults will? only time will tell.
They have prevailed for 5000 years, while they can still push their agenda in schools with the backing of governments, they will continue to do so.

They just have to switch to the model where they finish their games.
Why? Do the big games? I play Neverwinter (not through Steam) and the next update is coming out in this month. There is one every 6 months and granted the base was sort of finished on launch, there is no specific end to the game.

I've made a number of questionable comments in my post and happy to take them further in PM, but wont here.

Reactions: fauxplayer

GuyFreely

May 2, 2018
It's great news for all the developers here. I can't imagine that steams guidelines will be any different to Patreons so I doubt developers will have to overhaul their games.

It will hopefully encourage devs to push for the final release rather than the monthly updates that fade into an abandoned game. Although I would hate to see the Patreon scene die as it has led to us helping some hobbyist developers bring out great games.
If it all goes well, the scenario I would imagine to be most common would be Patreon to get started and then get it on Steam when it's finished.

Ignazzio

Engaged Member
Donor
May 8, 2017
Why? Do the big games? I play Neverwinter (not through Steam) and the next update is coming out in this month. There is one every 6 months and granted the base was sort of finished on launch, there is no specific end to the game.
That's MMO - different rules for them. Games have to be developed fully and later on there might be some DLCs to them. There is an early access ofc but it doesn't work like Patreon and Steam won't let a bunch of wannabe devs stick for years in it. Another thing is that there is no reason for monthly updates on steam as players won't pay and withdraw on a monthly basis. Game would have to have huge amount (in comparison to what we have now) of content to even start as I doubt even 0.8 of most VNs here would be accepted there as they're so far from being finished.

Reactions: kiteares

kiteares

Nov 15, 2017
That's MMO - different rules for them. Games have to be developed fully and later on there might be some DLCs to them. There is an early access ofc but it doesn't work like Patreon and Steam won't let a bunch of wannabe devs stick for years in it. Another thing is that there is no reason for monthly updates on steam as players won't pay and withdraw on a monthly basis. Game would have to have huge amount (in comparison to what we have now) of content to even start as I doubt even 0.8 of most VNs here would be accepted there as they're so far from being finished.
Gotcha, thanks!
So a bit like taking DoD now then further adding seasonal quests and more story lines (DoD 2 as has been asked about), etc. #mutters# Even if said content was endless grind - probably best to ignore that bit, my cynicism showing again.

Ignazzio

Engaged Member
Donor
May 8, 2017
Gotcha, thanks!
So a bit like taking DoD now then further adding seasonal quests and more story lines (DoD 2 as has been asked about), etc. #mutters# Even if said content was endless grind - probably best to ignore that bit, my cynicism showing again.
Well, DoD is technically a perfect example of incest game that could go on Steam. If they would seriously accepted such a game there, with such a quality of renders it would earn more cash for Sin than he earned during all these months on Patreon. He could update it later on for free just to bump attention or release DLCs with paths. It would be probably over for monthly releases from him but quality would grow for certain. That's all theory cuz I still can't really imagine a simple erotic game on Patreon - especially with such extreme fetishes. But someone should give it a try for sure as that would be a milestone for a whole market.

Reactions: kiteares

Drakal

Aug 19, 2017
so the adult games are going full 100% inside steam?

with H stuff? no need anymore download the 18+ patch?

this could be a good thing, more english sexy game incoming!

GuyFreely

May 2, 2018
so the adult games are going full 100% inside steam?

with H stuff? no need anymore download the 18+ patch?

this could be a good thing, more english sexy game incoming!
Remains to be seen exactly what this means. It COULD possibly mean full on erotic content on Steam. There could also be a big influx of erotic content met with a huge backlash. We've seen Valve flip flop on this topic before.

I think maybe Valve needs to make Steam After Dark or some other adult section of Steam. Like back in the day at the video store, there'd be a little curtain for a tiny room where the hot shit was kept. Not just a tag or filter or whatever. Something where the user has to go, okay I want to see the naughty stuff.

Reactions: uradamus

fauxplayer

Engaged Member
Uploader
Donor
May 28, 2017
Remains to be seen exactly what this means. It COULD possibly mean full on erotic content on Steam. There could also be a big influx of erotic content met with a huge backlash. We've seen Valve flip flop on this topic before.

I think maybe Valve needs to make Steam After Dark or some other adult section of Steam. Like back in the day at the video store, there'd be a little curtain for a tiny room where the hot shit was kept. Not just a tag or filter or whatever. Something where the user has to go, okay I want to see the naughty stuff.
I miss that little curtain... :FeelsBadMan: