Stop overusing 18 as an age

GuyFreely

May 2, 2018
Zygote made "Millennium woman" in February 1999. They didn't like people calling her Millie, so they changed her name to Victoria. Later the company changed it's name to Daz. Victoria 2 was released in 2001 so she is old enough.

Victoria 3, released in 2002 is UNDERAGE for adult games. Genesis models are even younger.
I see what you did there.

megaplayboy10k

Apr 16, 2018
A lot of the "I'm 18" is a bit incongruous with the setup and context. For incest/"I live with my landlady and roommates" scenarios, where the MC and one or more sisters is in "school"(and it's obvious the school is high school), "18" feels like inserting the barely plausible legal disclaimer in-game. Even when most games already carry the disclaimer before you even start. If the character is in college, you don't need to list the ages of most characters. If the character is in high school, to me the simplest thing is just to not mention the ages at all, just in relative terms.

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
I should add context as US law is pretty weird and stupid at the same time. Age of Consent and Legal age are two very different things as far as US law goes. Age of Consent is the minimum age at which a person can consent to have sex however as that person is not legal age they are still a minor under the law which means that if they are under 18 years of age there parents or guardians make all legal desitions for them. Which means even if you have consent from the person their guardians can still have you charged with rape and/or sex with a minor. also, anyone under 18 is still underage and depending on the state you can get charged with possession on underage Fictional stuff as well. A lot of things to learn when trying to build an adult games site. Fictional stuff is also banned in the EU from my understanding. Except for Sweden for some reason

Creiz

Game Developer
Sep 18, 2018
If the character is in high school, to me the simplest thing is just to not mention the ages at all, just in relative terms.
I don't know, that's threading on thin ice. I mean, most high school kids are under 18. Not mentioning age can be presumed they're less than that.

Personally, all my character are bona fide adults. they're all between 20-45, at the height of their sexuality, even if they're virgins. It makes it more challenging for me to write believable characters, with experience and a no-bullshit attitude at fucking. Also, I really don't like that pedo shit so even for me 18 is like wandering too close to the fire.

Reactions: DrackDrap

PantyShot

Sep 6, 2017
Kinda curious now, if your story take place in a country where the age of consent and everything else is different than your own country as a writer/developer, what would be the implications in term of laws?

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
I don't know, that's threading on thin ice. I mean, most high school kids are under 18. Not mentioning age can be presumed they're less than that.

Personally, all my character are bona fide adults. they're all between 20-45, at the height of their sexuality, even if they're virgins. It makes it more challenging for me to write believable characters, with experience and a no-bullshit attitude at fucking. Also, I really don't like that pedo shit so even for me 18 is like wandering too close to the fire.
High School here in the US is 9th through 12 grade so 15 to 18 age wise

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
So going back trough my old post, this is what my search turns up, for the topic of age of consent (sex relevanted):

Duke Greene

Feb 6, 2018
This topic reminds me of a scene in Yume Miru Kusuri where Aya, who looks 11-12, is naked and the protagonist muses that of course she's 20 years old because there could be legal trouble otherwise. A rare example of the script itself poking fun at this tendency and iirc the only instance of 4th wall breaking in the game.

I think it's fine for 2D games but devs using 3D models should be careful with this, simply because they are much more realistic. Unless maybe they're heavily stylized like Artificial Academy or Custom Maid 3D.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: atur

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
It's easier to make a character 18 than to explain why a 23 year old hasn't had much sex. Not a difficult task, mind you, but it's still more work.
It's not necessarily the fact that they hasn't had much sex than the fact that they are alone. Strangely, most MC in those games are ready to turn any girl into their own sex slave, but freak out if they are already with someone (unless it's the oldest sis). So, either they are 18yo, or they are study addict that never had the time to date.
It's the same with the MILFs, they are divorced or widow, and had (almost) no one else in their life since. It's rare in games to find a girl over her 30 that is married, end when they exist, either they are divorcing, or it will be the only one not alone in the whole game.
And the reason is the same, it's easier to do like this. The author don't have to deal with the implied conflict.

So going back trough my old post, this is what my search turns up, for 5he topic of age of consent (sex relevanted):
If the last line of your post regard simulated ********** with real actresses, you need to look for French and Australian (or is it New Zealand ?) Laws. They both treat look-like underage actresses as effectively underage ones. I think that there's few more countries, but can't remember which one.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Kinda curious now, if your story take place in a country where the age of consent and everything else is different than your own country as a writer/developer, what would be the implications in term of laws?
"What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas."
Come, have a good time, but delete the selfies from your phone before you go back home.
"When in Rome, do as the Romans"
Taking pictures of what romans do, could get you arrested at the airport.

Reactions: Qanim

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
You are only subject to the laws of the place *you* are located, of course, you still have to consider that whatever content you produce must be hosted somewhere and the laws of that place also enter into consideration by association. Like Patreon is subject to US laws, so any content hosted there will have the same rules, and they may refuse your stuff if it's against their law. On the creator side, if they make loli and set their game in a place where that's allowed, they will still get in trouble if their local laws are against it.

megaplayboy10k

Apr 16, 2018
My point was, a hefty number of games feature a MC who, by the way the story is presented, is clearly in high school, even if it's only referred to as "school". Generally, when I see games specifically set in college/university, they don't bother much telling us character ages. it's gotten to the point that, if they tell me a character is 18, I assume they are "underage"(thematically speaking).

Creiz

Game Developer
Sep 18, 2018
My point was, a hefty number of games feature a MC who, by the way the story is presented, is clearly in high school, even if it's only referred to as "school". Generally, when I see games specifically set in college/university, they don't bother much telling us character ages. it's gotten to the point that, if they tell me a character is 18, I assume they are "underage"(thematically speaking).
Oh, absolutely. That's also my reasoning. If the setting is at a school or some kind of camp, if they tell me the characters are 18, I assume they're younger than that. They say 18 just like the Japanese say their 6 years old looking lolis are 250 years old.

megaplayboy10k

Apr 16, 2018
Oh, absolutely. That's also my reasoning. If the setting is at a school or some kind of camp, if they tell me the characters are 18, I assume they're younger than that. They say 18 just like the Japanese say their 6 years old looking lolis are 250 years old.
"All characters in this game are exactly 18 years and 0 days old. The MC is 18, his younger and older sisters are also 18. His mother, aunt and grandmother are also 18. All the teachers are 18. The middle school kids are 18. His father was 18. That baby in the stroller passing by in Chapter 2? Just turned 18."

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
"All characters in this game are exactly 18 years and 0 days old. The MC is 18, his younger and older sisters are also 18. His mother, aunt and grandmother are also 18. All the teachers are 18. The middle school kids are 18. His father was 18. That baby in the stroller passing by in Chapter 2? Just turned 18."
Even freshly baked cakes are 18 years old?

Reactions: Creiz

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Mens rea , aka "dindu nuffin" is the mental element of a person's intention to commit a crime; or knowledge that one's action or lack of action would cause a crime to be committed. It is a necessary element of many crimes.

As a game developer, you declare your intention, in your disclaimer. If you say she's 18, we have to take you at your word.
It is very hard to prove intent. Making a statement like "I have to say that she's 18 for legal reasons" casts doubt, contradicting your disclaimer. If you don't declare age, it is left open to interpretation.